• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feorax

Problem is that of Skrtel and Agger, whilst Skrtel may have had the better season, Agger would be by far the tougher to replace.

Can't think of many left footed, ball playing centre halves in their prime that we could either afford or would come to us.

Mastadon

Banned
Actually, yes. Squirtle is worth that and more. He's quality.

Carroll though, nope. He still has to prove he can hang in the PL. Last season was utter garbage.

But your club has already bid ~£15m for him, so clearly, objectively, he is worth more than £10m.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Suarez would be valued conservatively at 30 million, for a start.

Really? His goalscoring for Liverpool has been ordinary compared to his time at Ajax and he embroiled himself in a petulant race row. I don't think he's in that bracket.

Hixx

Suarez would be valued conservatively at 30 million, for a start.

Jose Enrique, Glen Johnson, Jordan Henderson, Fabio Borini, Lucas, Andy Carroll, Daniel Agger, Martin Skrtel, Pepe Reina

wat

I'd say that'd be the upper limit. Nobody will pay £30m+ for a striker whose finishing is as inconsistent as his defence in a recent court case.

Arnie

so apparently we are being linked to Daniel Agger. What does Liverpool-gaf thinks? 15 millions euros seems a bit excessive, imo.
He's worth more to us than that. More like £20 million, and that's pounds, not euros.
I wouldn't buy any current Liverpool player for more than 10 million (haven't seen enough of Suso). That's just me though.
Then you're a fool.
The headline alone is enough to make me believe that it's a steaming pile of horse shit, more so than the surreal figures being thrown about. I think it would've caught on more if it were true though, because it displays an astonishing level of tackling incompetence.

I completely disagree, I'm not going to talk about JT because we all know why he in particular has been charged.

It's not about Anton calling JT a "philanderer" either, I just mentioned that he happened to say it. To me, Anton's well documented use of language is no worse than what Rooney did. If Rooney says fuck and the public no nothing of it, it goes by unpunished, as it should. The only reason he did get punished was because it was out there for all to see. Well in this case, so is Anton throwing the C word about.

So I don't for a minute think that every player using bad language should be punished. I do however, think in cases like this, if the FA are going to take action they should take action against both parties. That's not to say that what Anton admitted to saying is on par with what JT admitted to saying (given the context). But the FA, should they take action, which they are, should be saying that you can't use abhorrent racist language, but also can't conduct yourself in this manner either. If they don't, then I can't see why the likes of Rooney wasn't given any more than a slap on the wrists and told not to do it again.

Not that it's worth anything, but I don't think the FA should of dragged this up again post court. But if they are going to, then make an example of the whole situation. Also, Rio being stupid aside, his is another situation I think should be left alone. Ashley Cole came out and said there was no harm done. That should of been the end of it.

You have to see the difference between "throwing the C word about" on the pitch and literally running up to a camera to hurl obscenities toward a huge live audience. There's no way you're going to set a precedent about no swearing on the pitch, so there's no reason to charge Anton Ferdinand. You can set a precedent about idiots running up to the camera and swearing at a live audience, so there is a reason to charge Rooney. You can set a precedent about idiots (much though I want him on the pitch against Everton) normalizing the pervasive and destructive admonition that minorities stop "acting white" in the very public realm of twitter, so there is a reason to charge Rio Ferdinand.

elseanio

Adam didn't attempt 62 tackles, he made 62 tackles. It is a completely separate stat that he committed 58 fouls too (still shocking)

Arnie

For such a good player Suarez is an abominable finisher

Yep, which makes me worry about how we'll fair next season when he's heading the attacking 3. Still think we need a top striker in to replace Carroll, with Suarez and Borini either side.

And I'd like to make note that all these potshot evaluations are making me giggle. Value is determined on a per club basis with a variety of factors. You can't just say 'inconsistent finisher -£25 million'.

GorillaJu

kyoufu said:
Carroll though, nope. He still has to prove he can hang in the PL. Last season was utter garbage.

ad7pje

ushojax said:
Really? His goalscoring for Liverpool has been ordinary compared to his time at Ajax and he embroiled himself in a petulant race row. I don't think he's in that bracket.

Value isn't dependent only on the buying club. Why would we sell our best player for less than what we bought him for? If someone wanted Suarez enough to prize him away, it would cost them upward of 30 million. His contract is up in 2016, and he's one of the best strikers in world football.

Maybe I'm just thinking of "value" in different terms to you all.

And he has a poor finishing record for Liverpool thus far, but he creates a phenomenal amount of chances.

Feorax

Yep, which makes me worry about how we'll fair next season when he's heading the attacking 3. Still think we need a top striker in to replace Carroll, with Suarez and Borini either side.

It's such a shame Fiorentina haven't got any decent strikers we could use Aquilani a a bargaining tool for...

Kyoufu

But your club has already bid ~£15m for him, so clearly, objectively, he is worth more than £10m.

I don't even know what they're thinking tbh. I don't see how he's worth that much. I'd rather go for someone from Europe who'd probably cost less.

I think the only reason we'd want Carroll for that sort of price would be the fact that he'd stick around for a while given his recent transfer failure.

Arnie

It's such a shame Fiorentina haven't got any decent strikers we could use Aquilani a a bargaining tool for...

Their one decent one is off to Juve, and even he isn't an out and out striker.

Still think we should just pool a shit load of money together and make a spunky bid for Cavani, even if the chances of him coming are slimmer than Oscar. I just want to see an acknowledgement that we need some top striking talent, there were lots of reports coming out last summer that the club felt it hadn't replaced Torres, and after last season that should be more evident than ever.

Wilbur

Banned
I don't even know what they're thinking tbh. I don't see how he's worth that much. I'd rather go for someone from Europe who'd probably cost less.

I think the only reason we'd want Carroll for that sort of price would be the fact that he'd stick around for a while given his recent transfer failure.

Being serious, you don't think he's even worth £10m? At his age, the fact he was good for you before?

You don't think Agger, Suarez, Lucas, Johnson and Reina are worth £10m?

kharma45

And I'd like to make note that all these potshot evaluations are making me giggle. Value is determined on a per club basis with a variety of factors. You can't just say 'inconsistent finisher -£25 million'.

True you can't apply a straight value across players as there is a variety of factors that determine value not just pure ability, still won't stop me doing it to players :p

GorillaJu

The issue isn't with Fiorentina, it's with Aquilani. He makes, reportedly, at least £100k per week with us. He'd have to knock off 70% of his salary.

Also, I wouldn't want us to break the bank for Jovetic. He's a good dribbler and can be exciting to watch – a really great Youtube player, but he's injury prone and IMO would have difficulty fitting into the EPL.

Value isn't dependent only on the buying club. Why would we sell our best player for less than what we bought him for? If someone wanted Suarez enough to prize him away, it would cost them upward of 30 million. His contract is up in 2016, and he's one of the best strikers in world football.

Maybe I'm just thinking of "value" in different terms to you all.

And he has a poor finishing record for Liverpool thus far, but he creates a phenomenal amount of chances.

Well what everyone responded to was Kyoufu saying he wouldn't buy any of those players for more than 10 mil. Not what Liverpool would demand for them, of course Suarez isn't going for cheap but I don't think any clubs would want to buy him for close to 30mil.

GorillaJu

Well what everyone responded to was Kyoufu saying he wouldn't buy any of those players for more than 10 mil. Not what Liverpool would demand for them, of course Suarez isn't going for cheap but I don't think any clubs would want to buy him for close to 30mil.

Kyoufu has absolutely no idea what the value of a pound sterling is. He probably thinks a sandwich from a corner deli costs 75 of them.

Arnie

I don't think anyone here has suggested that a club would pay £30 million for Suarez, just that that's the price it would take to make Liverpool accept.

Feorax

Also , to be fair, Jovetic looks like Downing with Brian May's hair. That alone is a cause for concern.

It's a shame we couldn't keep Torres. He's shown a gread deal of aptitude when he needs to play out wide over the last season at Chelsea, and I'm sure Suarez, Borini and Gerrard would give him great service.

GorillaJu

I don't think anyone here has suggested that a club would pay £30 million for Suarez, just that that's the price it would take to make Liverpool accept.

mourinhoeye2eye.gif

vilanova_whyupokemyeye.gif

Also , to be fair, Jovetic looks like Downing with Brian May's hair. That alone is a cause for concern.

It's a shame we couldn't keep Torres. He's shown a gread deal of aptitude when he needs to play out wide over the last season at Chelsea, and I'm sure Suarez, Borini and Gerrard would give him great service.

I think Borini will be our central striker, with Suarez and Downing swapping back and forth on the left and right flanks. He's not a very good passer. Does a good job in Torres' position, though.

Kyoufu has absolutely no idea what the value of a pound sterling is. He probably thinks a sandwich from a corner deli costs 75 of them.

Sounds like he would make a fine replacement for Comolli. But my point was just that the discussion what players Kyoufu/we would be willing to buy for over 10 mil. But yeah, Liverpool would probably value him at 30 mil.

Arnie

I wouldn't sell Glen Johnson for less than £20 million. That's a statement I fully stand behind and is more than likely going to attract some odd looks. Such an underrated player.

As dumb as it was, completely different cases. One had done extremely well in both la liga and premier league. The other has done extremely well in a league were Kezman was a star in.
One was showing insane form at a young age, the other was showing the worst form of their career and looking physically spent.

Yen

I wouldn't sell Glen Johnson for less than £20 million. That's a statement I fully stand behind and is more than likely going to attract some odd looks. Such an underrated player.

Nah, can't defend, headless chicken etc etc

keit4

Banned
Looks like Nelson Oliveira and a guy called Roderick, both Benfica players, will be loaned to Deportivo de la Coruña this next season. I think that the time to rename this club to Mendes Football Club has come...

Wilbur

Banned

12-14m for me. Underrated though, yes.

Kyoufu's just dribbling in a corner and his saliva is heavy enough to type this shit, I'm sure of it.

Ushojax

Exactly. The market determines value, if nobody wants to pay more than £20m then he isn't worth more than that. People insisted last summer that Modric wasn't worth £40m but that's what Chelsea offered. Players are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.

Kyoufu

Being serious, you don't think he's even worth £10m? At his age, the fact he was good for you before?

You don't think Agger, Suarez, Lucas, Johnson and Reina are worth £10m?

I'd pay £8m for Carroll. He was only really good for us in the Championship and while he scored goals in the PL, our style of play has changed since then. We don't play that many long balls now. Liverpool should sell him to West Ham for the 17 million and call it a day.

Of course, I'm speaking from a "we don't have much money to spend" frame of mind so I wouldn't pay much. Suarez is certainly not worth 30 million to me but *shrug* guess he is to others with more money in their pockets :p

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
wat

I'd say that'd be the upper limit. Nobody will pay £30m+ for a striker whose finishing is as inconsistent as his defence in a recent court case.

ezequiel-lavezzi.jpg

You don't buy Suarez and Lavezzi to score goals, you buy them to help create them.

Lavezzi-Cavani was a devastating combination. Suarez needs a Cavani!
Borini? ;)

Which is also why Marotta was saying RVP(Finisher)+Suarez. :p It's never going to happen, but what a match!

GorillaJu

I think Glen would go for 15-ish, mostly because he just signed a new contract recently.

I wouldn't say "underrated" is the word for him – it's not that he goes unnoticed or underappreciated, it's that people actively think he's shit. They're wrong, but people get facts wrong all the time, and I don't even care.

He's one of our better attacking players, IMO. He does occasionally get caught out of position (like every fullback alive). His goal against Chelsea was pure sex. And that scissor kick vs Swansea should have gone in if Vorm wasn't like Spiderman with the reflexes of a coked up kitten.

Arnie

Exactly. The market determines value, if nobody wants to pay more than £20m then he isn't worth more than that. People insisted last summer that Modric wasn't worth £40m but that's what Chelsea offered. Players are only worth what people are willing to pay for them.
Modric debate is another good example. Many people don't believe Modric is a £40 million midfielder, which means nob all, because he is to Spurs and they're the ones who're being asked to do a deal.
Remember Afonso Alves?
I remember seeing him struggle to do kick ups during his unveiling for Middlesborough.

Wilbur

Banned
I'd pay £8m for Carroll. He was only really good for us in the Championship and while he scored goals in the PL, our style of play has changed since then. We don't play that many long balls now. Liverpool should sell him to West Ham for the 17 million and call it a day.

Of course, I'm speaking from a "we don't have much money to spend" frame of mind so I wouldn't pay much. Suarez is certainly not worth 30 million to me but *shrug* guess he is to others with more money in their pockets :p

If I was to put prices on the Liverpool team

Reina - 13m
Johnson - 12m
Agger - 20m
Skrtel - 18m
Enrique - 8m
Lucas - 20m
Henderson - 10m
Gerrard - 10m
Suarez - 20m
Carroll - 10m
Downing - 6m

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Looks like Nelson Oliveira and a guy called Roderick, both Benfica players, will be loaned to Deportivo de la Coruña this next season. I think that the time to rename this club to Mendes Football Club has come...

that guy must be rolling in some serious money, he represents every portuguese player or something.

Kyoufu

Downing for 6 million? I'd rather not. We bought Cabaye for less.

Real scouting yeeeeeah.

edit: I hope LFC fans don't feel like I'm attacking them. I'm just saying that a lot of players are overpriced and money can be better spent if you look around in other countries. Something Liverpool learned last season.

GorillaJu

You have it backwards. Modric would be worth 20m if that's all Tottenham demanded for him. You have no idea what amount a club is willing to pay until a transaction actually occurs.

Good to see Palermo players doing well at the olympics...

LONDON -- Swiss soccer player Michel Morganella has been expelled from the London Olympics for posting a racist message on Twitter.

Swiss Olympic team chief Gian Gilli says Morganella is being stripped of his Olympic accreditation ahead of Switzerland's final group match against Mexico on Wednesday.

Morganella posted what the Swiss officials called an offensive and threatening message aimed at South Korean people after the Swiss team lost 2-1 to South Korea on Sunday.

The Swiss daily Le Matin published images of a tweet from the player's account (at)morgastoss. The account has since been deleted.

The 23-year-old defender is the second Olympic athlete to be kicked off a team for offensive Twitter comments.

...he described South Koreans as a "bunch of mentally handicapped retards,"

Ushojax

Modric debate is another good example. Many people don't believe Modric is a £40 million midfielder, which means nob all, because he is to Spurs and they're the ones who're being asked to do a deal.

Sure, but if nobody offers £40m then he isn't worth that. Modric might be very important to us but if nobody agrees and offers that fee then that isn't his value. Value is not the fee the seller wants, but the fee the buyer will pay.

You have it backwards. Modric would be worth 20m if that's all Tottenham demanded for him. You have no idea what amount a club is willing to pay until a transaction actually occurs.

Modric is worth whatever the highest bid we recieve is. How can a player be worth more than anyone is willing to pay? It makes no sense. When people talk about a player being worth '£x' to his club, they are hand-waving.

GorillaJu

Good to see Palermo players doing well at the olympics...

...he described South Koreans as a "bunch of mentally handicapped retards,"

I must be tired, because I'm laughing hysterically at this.

Sure, but if nobody offers £40m then he isn't worth that. Modric might be very important to us but if nobody agrees and offers that fee then that isn't his value. Value is not the fee the seller wants, but the fee the buyer will pay.

LOL. How on earth do you know what every club in the world is willing to pay? You're taking the hard road here. It's much simpler and just as accurate to say "if a transfer were to occur, it'd need to be for X million pounds." The negotiations work both ways, and both sides are relevant. But ultimately it's down to the selling club to put a value on a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom