• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Big spending clubs like City and Chelsea are good for the feeder clubs like Arsenal and, I guess Liverpool, because they pay over the odds. Modric isn't worth 40m. Nasri isn't worth 25m, an injured, out-of-form Torres isn't worth 50m. It's like when Sneijder and Robben left Madrid when Kaka and Ronaldo signed; one club's trash is another club's bargain. The issue has always been where the money is being spent, imo. You can pay over the odds for English players (Liverpool), over the odds for Brazilian wonder kids (Lucas!), or you can buy no one at all (oh Arsene...).

Look at Newcastle. 35m; completely rebuilt the squad and improved just about every aspect of the team with that money.

The only reason I claimed Wenger had a point was because the ARsenal board has basically made a point of saying that they pocket off of player sales (partially due to the horrible low commercial deals, no doubt). 40m net spend is a lot of money. 150m is even more money.

Wilbur

Banned
His tackling's been very reckless.

Still a very raw player. We've got Allen though so he's got time to polish his defensive game up.

He was lucky there. Should be a second yellow at the least.

He's been pretty damn good, today, but lucky to still be on the pitch.

I think he's a massive talent, but he has a touch of the Scholes about him in other departments as well

Lightning

Banned
Big spending clubs like City and Chelsea are good for the feeder clubs like Arsenal and, I guess Liverpool, because they pay over the odds. Modric isn't worth 40m. Nasri isn't worth 25m, an injured, out-of-form Torres isn't worth 50m. It's like when Sneijder and Robben left Madrid when Kaka and Ronaldo signed; one club's trash is another club's bargain. The issue has always been where the money is being spent, imo. You can pay over the odds for English players (Liverpool), over the odds for Brazilian wonder kids (Lucas!), or you can buy no one at all (oh Arsene...).

Look at Newcastle. 35m; completely rebuilt the squad and improved just about every aspect of the team with that money.

The only reason I claimed Wenger had a point was because the ARsenal board has basically made a point of saying that they pocket off of player sales (partially due to the horrible low commercial deals, no doubt). 40m net spend is a lot of money. 150m is even more money.
Wenger is excellent at recruiting if your goal is to be competitive and profitable but not world class or several cuts above the rest. Wenger is excellent at poaching young talent, training them up, selling them off for high prices. Doing this we stay competitive and are profitable but you won't win the league with this policy nor will you be that conpetitive in the CL. I understand why Wenger does it because of the stadium but when our commercial deals roll round in a couple of years we need to sort this. It's one of the reasons I really want us to spend now, even at a loss, so that we can get a squad that can seriously challenge united and city and capable of at least the semi finals of the CL. That will give us the platform for a big marketing deal. The feeder shit has got to go because it's devastating from a marketing perspective.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Inter two goals down at home by the way.

And Zanetti's birthday is in a few hours.

iS1oQiKZgvHSU.gif

Yen

What has happened in the Pool match? What has happened transfer wise, Liverpool wise in the last week?
Good on Katie Taylor!

Arnie

What has happened in the Pool match? What has happened transfer wise, Liverpool wise in the last week?
Good on Katie Taylor!

We've been fucking class. You have to factor in the quality of the opposition but it's been a near perfect performance from us. So many top class performances.

And Allen's in the crowd, having a medical in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom