• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't say that was surprising. GB has been awful the entire second half and Senegal has been flexing their strength with some of their dirty fouls. Tough for Butland.. couldn't do anything after that amazing pass.

Tough for Butland? He did his best to help Senegal score in the first half

Wes

venison crêpe
I HATE short corners. They turn out better than kicking it from the corner... about 5% of the time?

Not worth it.

Carbonox

So I have a 10% voucher that needs using on Zavvi. I'm going to buy a Blu-Ray boxset just to add a bulk of films to my slowly growing Blu-Ray collection. Help me decide between the following:

* The Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy - £37.95 currently (~£34 after voucher; £39 on Amazon)
* X-Men Ultimate Collection (all 5 films) - £24.95 currently (~£22.50 after voucher; £25 on Amazon)

I enjoy all of the X-Men films (bar Wolverine) and all of the LOTR films. How worth it is the extended trilogy? What's the selling point with this? Is the extended footage worth it?

So yeah.

I guess in terms of the voucher's impact, the LOTR is the better deal by far as I'm roughly saving a fiver. Whereas only 2.50 on X-Men. But then I get 5 films.

So I have a 10% voucher that needs using on Zavvi. I'm going to buy a Blu-Ray boxset just to add a bulk of films to my slowly growing Blu-Ray collection. Help me decide between the following:

* The Lord of the Rings Extended Trilogy - £37.95 currently (~£34 after voucher; £39 on Amazon)
* X-Men Ultimate Collection (all 5 films) - £24.95 currently (~£22.50 after voucher; £25 on Amazon)

I enjoy all of the X-Men films (bar Wolverine) and all of the LOTR films. How worth it is the extended trilogy? What's the selling point with this? Is the extended footage worth it?

So yeah.

LOTR is amazing. Sooo much stuff added to it. I'd say it's the best versions of the films.

Of our three shirts for this year, its my least favorite (I actually love the classy green and gold keeper shirt), but it doesn't look too bad on the players. And I like that it's black.

i4cZq6C9IXVEy.jpg

sxFns.gif

Jensen

So yeah.

I guess in terms of the voucher's impact, the LOTR is the better deal by far as I'm roughly saving a fiver. Whereas only 2.50 on X-Men. But then I get 5 films.
If you haven't seen the extended cut of the LOTR films then I would go for that. There is a good 30-40 mins of extra footage in each film.

Meier

Ahh, looks like Witsel has a €40m release clause apparently and that's where that number comes from.

“We want every club to know what is the release clause for Axel.

“If they want him and if they come here and pay that fee, then there is nothing that we can do.

“But we are very happy with Axel and we do not think about selling him.”

Arnie

You know you say you've been coaching Wilbury, do you mean you've been Leon Knight's word coach?

LK said:
Half the prem spunk hanging from her tonsils and this guy wifed it lmfao .. Kill yourself lol

Arnie

The specifics of the West Ham Carroll bid are as follows, from Tony Barrett at The Times:

£2 million and they'll pay his full wages for a season long loan.

If West Ham stay up they'll buy for £16 million.

Not sure if the first and second payments combine, or if the initial fee is a downpayment on the final one, saw it on Twitter. I'd still say no, unless FSG want to bank roll the signing of a new striker under the assumption that they'll be reimbursed next summer.

Thing is neither o hara nor his wife actually deny any of it
Was funny when he said she'd been passed around the Spurs dressing room and even Hoddle had a go.

I'd love to see how long Leon Knight would last on GAF, especially in a Mumai moderated thread. The guy's pretty horrible with some of the stuff he's saying, but it's hard not to laugh, especially when you know O'Hara's reading it.

Arnie

Pressure's on now, as if it wasn't already. You want to believe, but the league is so strong right now that I don't think it's predictable. You'd have to say that Spurs, strikers permitting, have a stronger squad, and Newcastle look really good too(although I'd say we're a better team than them).

Those tweets are so fucked up... and people actually condone this type of thing. Sad.
It's hard not to laugh at them, but the people tweeting him support are pretty ridiculous. I suppose Leon Knight being clubless helps him, it's not like he's going to be reprimanded.

Kyoufu

Pressure's on now, as if it wasn't already. You want to believe, but the league is so strong right now that I don't think it's predictable. You'd have to say that Spurs, strikers permitting, have a stronger squad, and Newcastle look really good too(although I'd say we're a better team than them).

I think you and I will be competing neck and neck for a Europa league spot, but the CL spots are out of our price range and I don't think you'll get there in B-Rod's first year either.

What I'm actually more interested in is if Newcastle and Liverpool will go all out in the cups or if we'll just play reserve sides and go out to Portsmouth's ghost.

Arnie

Didn't FSG tell Rodgers that CL qualification wasn't a priority for the new season?

Yes. They want to be competitive with those challenging though.

I think you and I will be competing neck and neck for a Europa league spot, but the CL spots are out of our price range and I don't think you'll get there in B-Rod's first year either.

What I'm actually more interested in is if Newcastle and Liverpool will go all out in the cups or if we'll just play reserve sides and go out to Portsmouth's ghost.
As do I. I think the only hope we can have of Champions League is if Spurs fall under AVB, which is a completely fluid situation as of right now. There are so many uncertainties in terms of being able to predict how teams will do next season. It has to be said that Liverpool were doing, steadily, quite well up until Christmas and the drop in form following it wasn't down to any inherent lack of quality in the actual squad, but just a combination of debilitating factors, like shit finishing and various players performing below a certain level.

Our form went shit when Lucas went out, and Suarez got banned. And it snowballed from there. We outplayed the best teams last year, even if we didn't put them to the sword, but at times I thought we were tactically naive both in setup and team selection.

If you look at Spurs, they benefitted from going out of the Europa League early, and it'd be naive to suggest they could've maintained the same sort of league form if their first team squad were playing a game in Belarus the previous Thursday. I think we've got a deeper squad than Newcastle, but I don't expect either of us to go that far, as we're both aiming to do most of our good work in the league.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
It has to be said that Liverpool were doing, steadily, quite well up until Christmas and the drop in form following it wasn't down to any inherent lack of quality in the actual squad, but just a combination of debilitating factors, like shit finishing and various players performing below a certain level.

Is that really true? With Lucas and Gerrard out, Adam and Spearing were playing. Henderson was playing RW. Kuyt and Carroll were your striking options behind Suarez. I don't want to be too brutal but those players would struggle to get on the bench for the London teams. It was not a strong squad, and at the moment it's even weaker. I think the Liverpool squad is slightly worse than Newcastle's ATM.

Kyoufu

If you look at Spurs, they benefitted from going out of the Europa League early, and it'd be naive to suggest they could've maintained the same sort of league form if their first team squad were playing a game in Belarus the previous Thursday. I think we've got a deeper squad than Newcastle, but I don't expect either of us to go that far, as we're both aiming to do most of our good work in the league.

Our goal is CL but I really wouldn't mind a trophy. Even if it was a mickey mouse cup like the Capital One Cup.

The problem is the league is always a priority and with our thin squad, the youngsters will be playing in the cup games so we tend to go out very early.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom