• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT3| Two-sided triangles

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dibbz

Stoke fucking hell they're a bunch of fucking dickheads.

Also Arsenal have gone from passing it into the net to taking shots every 2 passes (judging from the highlights)

K1LLER7

I don't disagree, but I can't see him being a lot of use in a Roy Hodgson rigid 4-4-2. Not his style of play at all.
Hopefully he's involved with the England team and Hodgson changes to a 4-2-3-1. Think he'll be a class player for Liverpool and England could do with a direct player.

Watching Arsenal play Stoke, Giroud doesn't look like a player who likes to play triangles.

Carzola looking good however, Arsenal have to keep him fit.

Arnie

Stoke fucking hell they're a bunch of fucking dickheads.

Also Arsenal have gone from passing it into the net to taking shots every 2 passes (judging from the highlights)

You lacked any cutting edge today, that's the major problem. There was little penetration in your passing, and it was almost respectful in it's willingness to pleb around in front of the opposition defence. Podolski and Giroud aren't the most mobile, they're both quite stocky, and they don't zip about creating problems for a rigid defence. When Walcott came on Arsenal were noticeably more dangerous because he offered a bit of pace and penetration in terms of getting through the Stoke defence.

You've got all the technical ability, you just need to find a way to convert that into goals, which I've no doubt you will. And it's been reiterated but your defence does seem improved, if the two games are anything to go by.

Sterling will be good for England one day (if he chooses to play for England that is) but lets not think about that just yet.

He's a year at least away from that, or he should be anyway. Liverpool and Rodgers need to manage him carefully. He's still so young and his body is growing. He looked good today but it won't be like that every week and the more danger he poses the more people and going to try and kick the shit out of him.

Boys tiny, I was worried Yaya would break him in half.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Update on Lucio's injury:

GdS: Injury time is varying from 3-4 months.
La Repubblica: 2 months.
Tuttosport: 45 days and without an operation.

:/

So not as bad as we thought!
I'm not sure if I'm happy or sad

Telegraph reckon Rooney could be out for up to 2 months. Saying he had some surgery last night and his cut is 6 inches deep :-/

Good job we bought RVP..

Zabojnik

Eh, I'd rather have the option. And he loves Jesus, so ...

Arnie

Sterling will be good for England one day (if he chooses to play for England that is) but lets not think about that just yet.

He's a year at least away from that, or he should be anyway. Liverpool and Rodgers need to manage him carefully. He's still so young and his body is growing. He looked good today but it won't be like that every week and the more danger he poses the more people and going to try and kick the shit out of him.

I agree, that's why I was trepidatious of him being played today. One good performance and suddenly he's been highlighted to the nation on Match of the Day, and the Guardian are writing blogs about him. It's far too much pressure on just one young man, and now we're discussing his International options. I'd rather just see him develop and learn without this major spotlight.

But John Barnes 2.0™ did have a good game today.

Was impressed with him. But yeah, Rodgers needs to nurture him. He's obviously not going to start every game this season, so maybe just bring him on to stretch defences in the 60-70th min.

K1LLER7

If he's good enough play him, agree he might not be ready now but if half way through this season he's keeping this good form up, play him. Age shouldn't be too big a factor if a player has the ability IMO.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games

I totally agree, but we have a history of overplaying youngsters. Hopefully Rodgers won't fall into that trap.

Today was encouraging, but our real test is against the rest of the league, not the top teams.

spidye

german sports channel just said 4 months:/

they're probably quoting italian newspapers, though

remember when Fat Sam said he could manage Barcelona or Real?

Yes:

"I'm not suited to Bolton or Blackburn, I would be more suited to Internazionale or Real Madrid," said Allardyce. "It wouldn't be a problem to me to go and manage those clubs because I would win the Double or the league every time.

"Give me Manchester United or Chelsea and I would do the same, it wouldn't be a problem. It's not where I'm suited to, it's just where I've been for most of the time. It's not a problem to take me into the higher reaches of the Champions League or Premier League and would make my job a lot easier in winning it."

And now he 'manages' West Ham. I expect him to bid for Kevin Davies before the window closes.

Clegg

Miguel Delaney thinks Nani is up for sale. Says that the match against Everton was the last straw for Fergie and the coaching team. They think Nani lets gets too cocky after a good performance and that negatively affects subsequent performances.

Yes plz.

If he's good enough play him, agree he might not be ready now but if half way through this season he's keeping this good form up, play him. Age shouldn't be too big a factor if a player has the ability IMO.
I generally agree with the "good enough old enough" mantra but realistically Sterling probably isn't good enough to play every week, maybe even most weeks, because he's so raw and inexperienced.

He'll make mistakes, be inconsistent and come up against defences fouling him, doubling up or just making life hard generally. If people expect big things from him consistently..he'll find it hard to deliver.

It comes down to management and character though. Rodgers seems like a good manager for younger players and from the little I've seen of Sterling on the pitch, he looks like he has the courage needed. He didn't shy away at all today, that's as if not more impressive than the talent in his feet.

Arnie

The thing about Sterling is over the next 5 years he'll have a seismic change physically, I'd imagine, and even then he'll only be 22. He needs to add weight in the right areas, in his legs and his core body, as well as his shoulders. Glen Johnson's still rapid and agile, but he's also built like a tank; Sterling needs to find the same balance to really develop into a top, top player.

Very interesting to note that the Being Liverpool cameras will have wrapped and left today following the game, a game in which Sterling made his debut at 17 and had a great performance. I'd imagine the growth and development of him will be a key part of the documentary, and that clip implies that too. We'll have Rodgers bollocking him, training him, adjusting his attitude, building him, and then starting him against the best team in England. It'll all be a bit biblical, but should be a good watch.

Miguel Delaney thinks Nani is up for sale. Says that the match against Everton was the last straw for Fergie and the coaching team. They think Nani lets gets too cocky after a good performance and that negatively affects subsequent performances.
Tallies with a lot of what Rene Meulensteen has been reported to have said over the summer. They feel they can't get the best out of him.

This is the worst though. I don't like the idea of us selling our better players, full stop. Especially not a few days before the window shuts and especially not when the other options in his position are...Ashley Young, Welbeck or shunting Kagawa out there.

Arnie

Sterling looks like he could be quite the handful judging by that video.

I don't get that from him, especially considering how Rodgers talks about him. Rodgers can't stop praising his attitude when asked about him, and I'd imagine that he wouldn't have put him near the first team if he was a handful on a consistent basis. Everything points to him working really hard in pre-season to be honest, given that that clip will have been back in June.

God, I would love to witness a Conte team talk.
It's really strange, until you see it you can't understand what it's like. I always wonder what team talks are like, and if that clip of Rodgers is anything to go by, I imagine they'll be intense. He's a really good speaker, and he's very intelligent in how he speaks, and if you're a player I can see that firing you up.

Fucking hell, I've just realised that the documentary began before the end of last season, so we'll see the contrast between Kenny and Rodgers.

kharma45

Why was Sterling saying 'steady'?

Tallies with a lot of what Rene Meulensteen has been reported to have said over the summer. They feel they can't get the best out of him.

This is the worst though. I don't like the idea of us selling our better players, full stop. Especially not a few days before the window shuts and especially not when the other options in his position are...Ashley Young, Welbeck or shunting Kagawa out there.

If he is to be sold it's a pity it'll be so late in the window.

K1LLER7

Don't see Nani going unless there's a replacement lined up. Inter were apparently interested and if they were to bid 25m, I'd sell.

Arnie

Why was Sterling saying 'steady'?

Because Rodgers was telling the youth players that they needed to improve their attitude.

I'd love to see some of the behind the scenes stuff that goes on at Arsenal.
When you were talking about the rumour that Steve Bould wanted to take Song's head off over pre-season, I imagine things like that Rodgers clip. Things like that are just fascinating to me, I'd be excited for the documentary regardless of the team, that it's Liverpool makes me really eager to see it.

Sterling did well enough to stic around as one of our primary wingers for the foreseeable future, but not so well that the fans should be thinking he should be starting every game

Decided to try a different dessert combo today, ended up with chopped bananas and partialy melted Cornish ice cream

sogood.gif

"Non devi preoccuparti, abbiamo già concordato un pareggio."
Antonio-Conte.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom