• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT4| Welcome Sweet and Tender Hooligan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, WC94 is the first Major Event I can remember staying up to watch on TV. Remember getting excited for Ireland haha. Also that opening ceremony with the penalty... pfft.

Maradona's drugged up celebration down the camera!

I'm 28 so remember 94 but not that well but I do remember watching the final

I also remember italia 90 very vaguely, for some reason as a kid I really liked a Maradonna figure I had, I took it on holiday with us to Sardinia and they hated him out there at the time

As an aside do you remember those figures? About 5 inches tall normally on a green base (not the big head ones)

Found it
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Diego-Maradona-Sportstars-Soccer-figure-Kenner-/290680108731

Salazar

There is normally a refereeing gaffe in this fixture it has to be said

Let's hope not.

tumblr_mav4ghscdd1r19kgkup.jpg

I'm 28 so remember 94 but not that well but I do remember watching the final

I also remember italia 90 very vaguely, for some reason as a kid I really liked a Maradonna figure I had, I took it on holiday with us to Sardinia and they hated him out there at the time

As an aside do you remember those figures? About 5 inches tall normally on a green base (not the big head ones)

I thought I did until you said not the big head ones, as I had a Les Ferdinand and Alan Shearer one.

1312229937-6738-0.jpg

Nyx

Tomorrownight, 20:45 CET, Dutch Cup 2nd round:

908706B23EA5CB9792EFF1F459D51.jpg

vs

utraja18.jpg

Can't wait, will it be 5 wins in a row for Utrecht, or will Ajax finally manage to win again?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
No. It might be right decision. I just think you'll get a penalty.

It will be interesting to see who we go with in defense. It all depends on whether Naughton is fit, I suppose. If he is, Caulker might start, though I wouldn't mind Wild Bill Gallas playing.

Fully expect us to beat Spurs. As Clegg says, we do well against them so it juss seems like we should have no problems.

Going to be a tough game though. Dembele and Sandro will eat our midfield.

Clegg

I was at Old Trafford for United/Spurs last season.

I remember being really impressed by Anderson. Welbeck scored a good header too.

Spurs took an awful lot of shots from outside the box. This was at the start of the season when every pundit was of the mistaken impression that de Gea was dodgy with long shots.

Were you guys 'Shoot' readers or 'Match' readers?

I had a Paper Round back then, and the Newsagent used to pay me with a copy of the Beano, Shoot and Match magazine, as well as 2 pack of Premier League Football Stickers. I think I've got a bin bag full of old Match and Shoot magazines and Annuals in the loft.

Might dig them out one day and have a look over them.

Salazar

Welbeck scored a good header too.

Expecting Welberg to get a run.

Ideally (though this will never happen, all season long), we set up

--------DDG
Raf--Rio--Vidic--Büttner
---Carrick---Clev
------Kagawa
Valencia----Nani/Welberg
-------RVP

I don't like Welberg wide, but Nani is a waste of a spot at the moment. And we need to start looking at midfield threes.

WAG watch.

tumblr_mawiakuen21raa3jqvg.jpg

Match!

Fuck Shoot.

Shoot was like the lesser 'comedy' version of Match. Match still had it's funny captions, but seemed to offer more football.

I remember the '95 FA Cup Wall Chart it gave away. Man, that thing was insane. Had slots and shirts for all the teams. It was far too heavy for the wall and normal blu-tac though.

Kyoufu

What site do you guys use to place bets? I've been pretty decent at predicting Serie A games recently wouldn't mind having a crack.

I use Paddy Power.

Fully expect us to beat Spurs. As Clegg says, we do well against them so it juss seems like we should have no problems.

Going to be a tough game though. Dembele and Sandro will eat our midfield.

Imagine Man United's midfield is food and Dembele is Pacman.

Ushojax

The defending from Kaboul and Dawson in the game last season was embarrassingly bad. United played well but we let you have 30 shots at goal or something, and a couple of the goals we gave away were Squillaci-level. Hopefully we see an improvement, the entire back 4 from that second half (where the goals came) is going to be different. As is CM. Only 5 of the XI that played last season will be involved (Friedel, Walker, JD, Lennon, Bale).

Clegg

Modric didn't play at Old Trafford, last season.

Redknapp had given him some time off to get his head sorted out.

This was after he'd failed to force a move to Chelsea.

Modric didn't play at Old Trafford, last season.

Redknapp had given him some time off to get his head sorted out.

This was after he'd failed to force a move to Chelsea.
VDV didn't play either. Or Sandro. Don't think they had Adebayor at the time either.

It was a really crap Spurs team.

Kyoufu

Mancini out.

He's failing hard with the amount of quality he has.

Also #basedMarwood out too. Why would you buy Sinclair/Rodwell. C'mon son.

Ushojax

VDV didn't play either. Or Sandro. Don't think they had Adebayor at the time either.

It was a really crap Spurs team.

Actually VDV did play, but he was rubbish. We fielded:

Friedel
Walker (Corluka 46') Dawson Kaboul BAE
Livermore (Huddlestone 74') Kranjcar (Pavlyuchenko 74')
Lennon VDV Bale
Defoe

We didn't have King, Parker, Adebayor, Sandro, Crouch, Pienaar, Gallas, or Modric available. Harry thought it would be a good idea to take both our CMs (nominally) off and put all his strikers on at 1-0 with 15 minutes to go. Naturally we conceded about 30 seconds after Pav came on.

Ushojax

A man of relative probity but no competence. Could easily fuck us.

Nothing will ever be as bad as Stoke-Spurs last season. No matter how shit we were the back-end of the season, that was 3 points that was stolen from us. One of their goals should have been ruled out, we had 3 cast-iron penalties (plus a red for Shawcross) waved away, a goal ruled out that was 5 yards onside, and Kaboul got sent off for some kid shit. As you say, Foy isn't biased, he's just useless. By far the worst now that Stuart Atwell has been banished.

Kyoufu

Nothing will ever be as bad as Stoke-Spurs last season. No matter how shit we were the back-end of the season, that was 3 points that was stolen from us. One of their goals should have been ruled out, we had 3 cast-iron penalties (plus a red for Shawcross) waved away, a goal ruled out that was 5 yards onside, and Kaboul got sent off for some kid shit. As you say, Foy isn't biased, he's just useless. By far the worst now that Stuart Atwell has been banished.

Can't believe we drew to Wolves.

Terry-Wolves :lol :lol :lol

The thought of Man United winning another title. I know it's early but City are underwhelming atm.

The thought of you squealing in misery as Lord fugson lifts yet another Premier League trophy - wild eyed, beaming grin and violently masticating on his gum - pleases me greatly.

Slizz

Damn, I might go and get FIFA 13 from GameStop today.... I haven't bought a game at a GS in years cause its so shitty, but they are offering 30% extra store credit towards any game traded in for FIFA 13.

Zabojnik

WTF happened to make Pato so fragile? He's not even made of glass these days, more like wet cardboard.

3) Barbara Berlusconi.

The right answer. She's a real succubus. Apparently they broke up, now watch Pato become Mr. Steel.

I'm not feeling tonight's Giovinco - Quaglia attack. I would have started Vucinic, we'll need that link between the midfield and the front line more than we'll need it against Roma, where an old-school punta like Matri could do wonders against Roma's inexperienced, prone to blunders and quite frankly shitty back line.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom