• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Blablurn

I agree with juve being good in fifa. In the first game i got a horriblr beating and in the second game i won 7:4. i was leading 5:1 and the guy who played them came pretty close. It was definitely one hell of a match.

Bumhead

Banned
Man City treat their fans very well. Cheapest season ticket is second only to Wigan in the PL and cheaper than most of the SPL, Championship and League One and Two. Not bad for the Champions of England.

Manchester City fans do very well, to be fair. Rather than asking supporters to fund the excesses of top flight football, Manchester City is a good example of how clubs with billion dollar ownership should be handled, where the value is seemingly handed back to the supporters on at least some level.

Those tables don't reflect well on Championship football. There are many, many clubs in that list who are charging more than Premiership clubs to watch second division football.

We are about middling, really. Still more expensive than it should be, though.

Yay you are a mod again

tumblr_mb89asj5AR1rertyro1_500.gif

I like to think it was because of my thread title :D

Nyx

Those tables don't reflect well on Championship football. There are many, many clubs in that list who are charging more than Premiership clubs to watch second division football.

Even in the Blue Square Premier League a lot of clubs have a more expensive cheapest seasonticket than Man C.

Insane!

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
AVB today:

"What we want is to finish in the elite group, in the top four, which means qualification for the Champions League… sometimes.”

ROOBBBBEEEENNNNNNNN

GorillaJu

Man City treat their fans very well. Cheapest season ticket is second only to Wigan in the PL and cheaper than most of the SPL, Championship and League One and Two. Not bad for the Champions of England.

It is great, but it's a luxury for the fans that comes from having owners with bottomless wells of oil money, not because Manchester City is a shining beacon of philanthropy.

Meier

It is great, but it's a luxury for the fans that comes from having owners with bottomless wells of oil money, not because Manchester City is a shining beacon of philanthropy.

That's irrelevant. They could (and probably should) be charging more even with this being the case.

dc89

It's not like the season ticket prices have been slashed. The ticket prices were reasonable pre Sheikh Mansour, dont think otherwise.

They've just increased them by a reasonable amount.

Ushojax

That's irrelevant. They could (and probably should) be charging more even with this being the case.

Would people actually....turn up if the ticket prices were higher? City have enough trouble filling their stadium already.

Az

Got a baby on the way and my company just informed me our department is shutting down November 16th. Fuck this day...

Sorry for the pity post, needed to let someone know.

Bumhead

Banned
Even in the Blue Square Premier League a lot of clubs have a more expensive cheapest seasonticket than Man C.

Insane!

Yeah, it's crazy.

I do think there is an argument though that clubs at that level have to charge what they charge in order to survive. The impact of the ugly side of football finance filters all the way down the football pyramid, without the pay off of TV deals and sponsorship to sustain it.

I've long since got used to pay £30+ to watch second tier football, but it still stings.

Ushojax

Yeah, it's crazy.

I do think there is an argument though that clubs at that level have to charge what they charge in order to survive. The impact of the ugly side of football finance filters all the way down the football pyramid, without the pay off of TV deals and sponsorship to sustain it.

I've long since got used to pay £30+ to watch second tier football, but it still stings.

What's funny is that teams like Arsenal have mega expensive tickets which are complained about endlessly yet their fans want them to spend big on marquee players. The money has to come from somewhere if your club isn't owned by an oligarch.

Salvadora

What's funny is that teams like Arsenal have mega expensive tickets which are complained about endlessly yet their fans want them to spend big on marquee players. The money has to come from somewhere if your club isn't owned by an oligarch.
We could have our own Oligarch!
UHey9.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Got a baby on the way and my company just informed me our department is shutting down November 16th. Fuck this day...

Meh, you can always get another job! Congrats on the baby!
ybLrJ.gif

My hospital appointment was today

Got the all clear although they put me through the ringer, 'I'm just going t take a look at your throat' he said as he inserted a footlong camera up my nostril and down the back of my throat

elseanio

Congrats on the baby!

At least you have a few weeks to prepare, I hope you find a new job by the time your department closes. Can they not relocate you to another area within the company?

Bumhead

Banned

It's a bit of a double edged sword. It's like I mentioned earlier and which Hixx added to, but I don't believe it's the responsibility of the supporters to fund the unsustainable explosion in football finance. Fans didn't ask to put their hands in their pockets for the game we enjoy (or endure) today. The money which has created the current football economy comes from big business, from sponsors and from television. Your average football supporter cannot be expected to sustain that from his own pocket.

It's difficult to look at case by case examples because I'm not privvy to their accounts. Arsenal qualify for lucrative European competetion season in season out, are associated with big money sponsorship deals and are a global brand in themselves. Do they need to charge fans what they do or is that money just being used to inflate profit at supporters' expense?

Bumhead

Banned

Nothing wrong with a pity post. My wife is due soon as well and not having an income would be hard. But you'll get back on your feet soon and the baby is the most important bit. Congratulations on the baby and good luck on the job front. When is your baby due?

Got the all clear although they put me through the ringer, 'I'm just going t take a look at your throat' he said as he inserted a footlong camera up my nostril and down the back of my throat

Nice work *brofist*

GorillaJu

I've had that done, but they threaded the camera all the way into my digestive tract. My gag reflex was going crazy and my heart went nuts. Lol shitty experience, hope I never do it again.

GorillaJu

It's not like the season ticket prices have been slashed. The ticket prices were reasonable pre Sheikh Mansour, dont think otherwise.

They've just increased them by a reasonable amount.

Again, they don't have to increase them. It's not like they need the money but they're holding off for the sake of the fans. Most clubs, to compete at the level they aim to compete at, need to price their tickets as highly as possible to keep their income competitive.

Götze out for Saturday, too. Thanks for nothing, Löw.

So, that just leaves Reus, Perisic and Großkreutz. Not sure if I like that, bring on Amini
lol

Meier

Would people actually....turn up if the ticket prices were higher? City have enough trouble filling their stadium already.

That's a good question although I would imagine that many of the empty seats are sold but since the games are so cheap, corporate sponsors and the like don't necessarily all show up. It's pretty common in the US.

I guess Busquets got a 2 game ban over that red card but he had a chance to appeal it.. does anyone know if he did? I brought him in to my damn ESPN fantasy team too late for the game and then bam, he gets a ban! Oh no, I have Marcelo too!

K1LLER7

Ronnies a good guy :)

Despite the game not going to plan at all with Northern Ireland snatching an unexpected point in a 1-1 draw, Ronaldo showed his class by holding a promise to Rio Ferdinand and Oliver Norwood.

Ex-United youngster Norwood, who was at the club for three years before moving to Huddersfield in order to get first team football, had spoken to Ferdinand before the game and asked Ferdinand if he could talk to Ronaldo about getting his shirt – but probably didn’t expect it to really happen.

‘Rio and I have the same agent, and I knew he had kept in touch with Ronaldo from their days together at United. So I phoned him last week and asked if he could put a word in for me. I just explained how much it would mean to have Ronaldo’s shirt, and could he possibly see what the chances were.

‘I was hoping that might do the trick, but I wanted to make sure, so I went up to Ronaldo before the game and introduced myself. He just said: “Yeah, Rio spoke to me. Don’t worry – the shirt’s yours.”

‘A few of the lads went up to him at the end, but he was as good as his word. He wasn’t happy about the way the game had gone and wasn’t exactly in the best of moods, but he actually came over to me, shook hands and said: “I haven’t forgotten. You can have the shirt.” 

‘That just rounded off a great night for me. I couldn’t have wished for a better keepsake from such a fantastic occasion. Of all the memorabilia I have picked up during my career, this is far and away the best.

‘I will frame it, as soon as I get it home, and keep it. It will have pride of place among all my football possessions. I will show it to my kids and grandkids in years to come and tell them that’s the shirt Ronaldo wore in his 100th international appearance. I was on the pitch with him, and there’s the evidence. I’m absolutely thrilled with it, and I owe Rio for setting it up for me. It was so good of him, and I am really grateful.’

Az

Congrats on the baby!

At least you have a few weeks to prepare, I hope you find a new job by the time your department closes. Can they not relocate you to another area within the company?

They will try but there is 70 people and not enough for all. I got some contacts so it's about time to make a few calls.

Top Bottom