• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT6| Mumei almost banned EVERYBODY (but just Wilbury)

Alduin

Something tells me the Leeds fans have ulterior motives for singing JFT96 while at Hillsborough. Also, you could hear fairly loud Jimmy Saville chants on tv - not just one person.

Why would there be any ulterior motives though?

The obscene chanting about Jimmy Saville and Dave Jones wasn't a minority of the away support, it was a majority, that much was evident by the volume and verocity of it, which was met by boos from the Wednesday supporters. I was filming at the time, using all my focus to follow the ball, and I heard it clear as day.

Afterwards, then a small portion of Wednesday fans responded with songs about Turkey (or so my friend tells me, I couldn't hear them), and you can't condone that, either.

What's clear, on top of the chanting, and the violence, is that a good amount of the Leeds away support yesterday were out of line; riot police, flares, pitch invasions after goals, ripping seats, breaking advertising boards, etc.

Football doesn't need to return to this.

Yeah and whatever happened doesn't do any good to the rest of Leeds & Wednesday fans around.

3Sixty

GOAL! Ryan SEAGER loops a header over the goalkeeper from close range. That's his 9th of the season, #saintsfc U18s 2-0 Aston Villa U18s.

Seager is BOSSING this season.

madmackem

Fucccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccccck derby day tomorrow. Feeling ill man, nerves are all over the shop and im already taking medication for that kind of thing. I hate these games, good luck mags and fellow safc fans see you on the other side.

Messi

FOOTBALL IS BACK

alison-brie-bukkake.gif

Bumhead

Banned
Something tells me the Leeds fans have ulterior motives for singing JFT96 while at Hillsborough. Also, you could hear fairly loud Jimmy Saville chants on tv - not just one person.

This is my concern. I am entirely pro-JFT 96 and would never question anybody singing it anywhere, obviously. But I have a concern that some clubs will trivialise the death of 96 football fans to persue a football rivalry agenda, or to antagonise the police and stewards at Hillsborough.

I'm not saying Leeds did yesterday but it is a concern. Hull did it the other week. I've no time for it.

So, Wednesday fans can sing about what happened with the Turks and get away with it but when one (really troubled) fan hit Kirkland and a minority of the 5200 fans that attended, the whole Leeds fanbase are scums and should be banned from all away grounds (according to Dave Jones, anyway)?

We even sang in support for the Hillsborough incident but the Wednesday just had to sang about Turkey.

The problem you have here with this approach is that you think other fans singing about Istanbul advocates any of Leeds' behaviour yesterday. It's sticks and stones. Just like Leeds singing "Who'se that dieing on the runway" is (which I hear quite clearly coming from a pub as I made my way through town after work yesterday). Or singing about peadophiles is.

News flash; it doesn't. Wednesday have a couple of hundred knobheads who I wish wouldn't go to games just like most clubs do. I didn't hear any chants about Istanbul from the comfort of my sofa (couldn't make the game for work and money reasons), but I've heard it before against Leeds and I don't support it. But, like Arnie says, you're talking about a relative handful of idiots in a crowd of 23,000+, compared to what sounded like a much, much larger percentage of a 5,000+ crowd chanting obscene abuse at Dave Jones, or about Jimmy Saville, or whatever else.

And either way, the fact that a football supporter ran onto a pitch and assaulted a professional player cannot be defended or excused by supporter chanting here or anywhere else. Absolutely not.

The fact that people think Leeds are scum isn't about isolated incidents, either. Dave Jones has, in his own words, listened to you lot abuse him for 12 years. I have never met a reasonable Leeds fan and have experienced trouble every single time we have played you either home or away, stretching to about 12 matches (give or take). You've got a reputation on and off the pitch which you've had since the 70's and never really shaken off, and if yesterday is anything to go by, with good reason as well.

I have never experienced the kind of scenes in the away end at Hillsborough yesterday before, and that includes the visit of the likes of the Blades, Wolves, Forest, Hull & Millwall. Your fans were a disgrace and your reluctance to hold your hands up to that while skirting around the issue and trying apprition blame elsewhere is pretty typical of what we saw from Leeds fans yesterday and for the last god knows how many years, in my opinion.

Just my two penneth.

Clegg

Rugby talk:

Dan Carter has just bottled a drop goal in the fifth minute of overtime. He was right in front of the posts and he missed. If he scored it then New Zealand would have went the whole season with a 100% win record. Thematch ended as a draw.

Only mentioning this because Carter is one of the best rugby players I've ever see. It's bizarre seeing him miss such as easy shot at goal.

Top Bottom