• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT7| Wilde things happen afer dark

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
A goal is a goal

Pg-68s-lawton-getty.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Catania's president is so pathetic.
9d5Lr.gif
9d5Lr.gif
9d5Lr.gif

Catania chief Antonino Pulvirenti has alleged that assistant referee Luca Maggiani is a Bianconero fan.

“There is a picture of Juve’s Scudetto on his Facebook page, I’ve printed it out.”

It's a fake page
9d5Lr.gif
9d5Lr.gif
9d5Lr.gif
9d5Lr.gif

Fry

Good luck elsk.

These lists that don't contain Gomez are a joke. He scored more goals than any of these players last season, minus Messi and Ronaldo. (?)

GorillaJu

I think Ibra is a wonderfully talented and entertaining player but he's such a dickwallet that I can't include him in a top 10. He doesn't care about the team he plays for, he just cares about Ibra. He doesn't work hard, he dicks around on the ball all day, and he berates his team every time something doesn't go his way. Terrible douche.

confuziz

Banned
I think Ibra is a wonderfully talented and entertaining player but he's such a dickwallet that I can't include him in a top 10. He doesn't care about the team he plays for, he just cares about Ibra. He doesn't work hard, he dicks around on the ball all day, and he berates his team every time something doesn't go his way. Terrible douche.

Have you read his book? It's amazing how much he loves himself!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
PSG is the perfect club for him, he can actually be bigger than the club for once.

GAF-bandwagon at it's best. Lewandowski making top 5's already. I think he's quality, but LOL.

His movement and positioning is top notch! Zonal marking (the website) made me appreciate him even more!

He's still 24.

A great write-up on Dortmund and the Bundesliga (from a financial pov): The Swiss Ramble: Borussia Dortmund - Back In The Game

Some tidbits:

In 2011/12 Dortmund’s revenue rose by an imposing 42% to a record €215 million (€189 million excluding player sales), while pre-tax profits surged to a hefty €37 million. Despite higher bonus payments, the wage bill of less than €80 million can still be described as “merely average” for the Bundesliga.

UZMUe.jpg

Dortmund’s revised, more sensible approach has been epitomised by their dealings in the transfer market. In the five years leading up to the fateful 2004/05 season, the club’s net spend was a chunky €97 million, before their debt problems forced them to offload players, generating surpluses over the next three years, followed by very modest spend, so that “transfer income and expenses are balanced.” Over the last nine years, the club had net sales proceeds of €5 million – a stark contrast to their extravagant era.

n3jR2.jpg

In fact, over the last three seasons no fewer than nine clubs in Germany’s top flight have spent more than Dortmund’s net €2 million. In fairness, very few Bundesliga clubs spend big on transfers with the obvious exception being Bayern Munich, who spent €116 million in the same period. Dortmund’s chairman, Hans-Joachim Watzke, accepted this discrepancy, “I must point out that we continue to operate in different spheres. Bayern spent €70 million this year, including €40 million on Javi Martinez.”

GOHvh.jpg

Thomas Treß added, “We are not able to compete in the European soccer market with British or Spanish clubs in respect of transfer pricing.” That’s true, but you can also add a few more countries to that list, as can be seen by the above graph, which highlights the massive difference with other leading Europe clubs. At one end of the spectrum, we have Dortmund with €2 million; at the other end, three clubs, fueled by oil-rich owners, have splashed out around a quarter of a billion pounds: Chelsea, Manchester City and Paris Saint-Germain.

kplCA.jpg

It is clear that “Borussia has developed itself economically and on a sporting level continuously over the last few years”, as Watzke put it. The profits made in the last two seasons represent a spectacular turnaround, as the club had previously reported losses in five of the last six years, including €55 million in the annus horribilis of 2004/05 and €23 million the year after.

In comparison, Bayern Munich, the “alpha male” of the Bundesliga with 22 league titles and four Champions League victories, have made profits 19 years in a row, consistently bettering Dortmund’s results off the pitch – except last season, when the Schwarzgelben’s €9.5 million was slightly higher than the Bavarians’ €8.8 million. Bayern will also have to go some to match Dortmund’s €37 million in 2011/12.

7A81M.jpg

Even though Dortmund’s revenue has been going great guns, rising 80% (€84 million), while Bayern’s actually dipped €2 million last season, the gap between the two clubs is still a mighty €132 million. This is nonetheless a lot better than the colossal €218 million shortfall in 2010, when Bayern’s revenue was literally three times as much as Dortmund’s.

In fact, in 2010/11 Dortmund had the highest percentage of their total revenue from commercial (57%) of any Money League club. Although this has fallen to 51% in 2011/12, mainly due to Champions League money, this is still a very high proportion for a football club.

cQTaN.jpg

To place that into context, it is worth comparing the revenue mix with Arsenal, where commercial activities contribute only 23% of total revenue. In contrast, match day is worth 41% at the North London club, compared to only 17% at Dortmund. Looked at another way, the majority of Dortmund’s revenue is generated from companies, while fans bear most of the burden at Arsenal.

(...)

N2vm0.jpg

However, this also means that television income is not very high in Germany, as can be seen from the 2010/11 Money League, where Dortmund sat in 19th position. Their revenue of €32 million was around one sixth of the €184 million earned by Barcelona and Real Madrid, who benefit greatly from their individual domestic deals.

VFFnL.jpg

(Notice how fair it is in comparison to La Liga. Real and Barca are fucking scumbags for marketing their tv rights exclusively)

Performance is weighted in favour of the more recent years, so last season a factor of 4 was applied to 2011/12, 3 to 2010/11, 2 to 2009/10 and 1 to 2008/09. However, a form of equality is then applied, as the club with most points from this algorithm only receives twice as much money as the club that has the lowest number of points. In this way, as top club in 2011/12 Bayern Munich received €24 million for performance (excluding live fees), which was double the €12 million for last placed Augsburg.

Zl0ow.jpg

The Bundesliga recently announced an increase in the value of their TV rights with the domestic deal for the four years from 2013/14 to 2016/17 rising 52% from €410 million to €628 million and the overseas rights increased by a similar rate to €72 million. The new total of €700 million will take it ahead of La Liga (€655 million) and Ligue 1 (which actually fell to €642 million). The Bundesliga’s chief executive, Christian Seifert, was ecstatic, “ We didn’t expect results like this, it clearly exceeded our expectations”, while Bayern’s chief executive, Karl-Heinz Rummenigge, described it as “a milestone in the history of the Bundesliga.”

Nevertheless, the TV rights for German football are still lower than Serie A (€944 million) and only half the Premier League deal (€1.4 billion). That is before the new English deal from 2013/14, which is estimated to be worth at least €2.2 billion, i.e. three times the “historic” Bundesliga deal.

(...)

Last season Dortmund’s incredible average attendance of 80,500 was the highest in Europe, ahead of Barcelona 79,600 and Manchester United 75,400. This was easily the largest average in Germany with the next highest teams being Bayern 69,000 and Schalke 61,200. The Dortmund fans’ interest shows no sign of slowing down, as they have just established a new Bundesliga record for season tickets for 2012/13 at a mighty 54,000 – and that was capped to ensure an adequate supply of tickets on the day of the match.

l9tHS.jpg

It is therefore a little perplexing to see that Dortmund have one of lowest match day revenues in the Money League with only €28 million in 2010/11 (€31 million in 2011/12), while the likes of Real Madrid, Barcelona, Manchester United and Arsenal all collect more than €100 million. There are two obvious reasons for this huge discrepancy: less matches and low ticket prices.

kXi9o.jpg

Dortmund’s high attendances (and small match day revenue) can be partially attributed to the large number of standing places for which season tickets are priced as low as €187 (€109 for youths). Nearly 25,000 of these can be found on the famous Südtribüne terrace, known as the “Yellow Wall”, which is the largest standing area in European football and provides each home game with an intensely passionate atmosphere. Occasionally, that enthusiasm can go too far, such as the hooliganism seen at the recent Schalke derby when there were 200 arrests and water cannon had to be used.

It is surely no coincidence that the Bundesliga has the lowest ticket prices of Europe’s five major leagues and consequently the highest attendances. This is an important part of football culture in Germany, as seen recently when Dortmund fans staged a protest against Hamburg’s steep prices for away standing tickets, leaving their block after 10 minutes. Klopp gave them his support, “The league needs to think just how far they want to push prices.”

There are no such problems in Dortmund’s imposing stadium, now officially named Signal Iduna Park, which is the largest football ground in Germany and the sixth largest in Europe. This is obviously an extremely valuable asset that can also be used to host international matches, when the capacity is reduced to 67,000 by converting the standing areas to seats. The Times described it as the “most beautiful stadium in the world”, writing, “Every Champions League final should be held in Dortmund. The place was built for football and its fans.”

(...)

Hixx

Cattermole signs a new contract, great news.

Good start to the week now to progress in the cup and beat Villa.

Yeah. Right.

dc89

Finally got around to playing The Walking Dead Ep.2

Man, this game sure has it's performance issues, but the writing, characters and music. It's really something else.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
AIA, the referees' association, denies the Facebook page belongs to Maggiani. Insists that the claims are without any foundation. Italian football officials are also not allowed to have a Facebook profile.

Everyone (major papers) is running with the story without checking facts.
9d5Lr.gif

This is almost as bad as gaming journalism.

Arnie

Just had a 30 minute debate with a United fan who thought Torres dived yesterday. I'm at the end of my tether, I've seen it over and over again and Torres isn't doing anything there that hundreds of players do game in, game out.

fuenf

A great write-up on Dortmund and the Bundesliga (from a financial pov): The Swiss Ramble: Borussia Dortmund - Back In The Game

Some tidbits:

Yeah pretty amazing turn around, especially compared to the other Ruhrgebiets club.;) But i think Dortmund got a little bit lucky, i mean it's great that the payroll is that low but players like Götze or Kagawa dont grow on trees. Sure Kagawa is gone now, but you just flipped him for Reus. And dont forget Klopp, fucking Jürgen Klopp. Imagine if Hoeneß would've signed him in 2008: he'd most likely be the Cologne coach now. ;)

Inzaghi's U-17 team won yesterday, now they're 4th, four points behind the first place. It seems like he's doing pretty well, too bad that Mastour only played 10 minutes, but as Inzaghi said, he's going to have a lot of other chances.

GorillaJu

Just had a 30 minute debate with a United fan who thought Torres dived yesterday. I'm at the end of my tether, I've seen it over and over again and Torres isn't doing anything there that hundreds of players do game in, game out.

This is the problem with the diving debacle - the recourse for diving is large, but getting carded, and then sent off for diving feels even bigger. It's the accusatory nature.

Messi

Finally got around to playing The Walking Dead Ep.2

Man, this game sure has it's performance issues, but the writing, characters and music. It's really something else.

I am starting EP 4, EP 3 was fantastic. Borderline game of the year if they nail 4 and 5

GorillaJu

I bought all the episodes of the Walking Dead but I haven't played but more than an hour of the first one. One day I'll go through and I'm sure I'll enjoy them, but apparently I don't ahve the patience for these kinds of adventure games anymore.

Damn, 46 pages in before I notice we have a new thread. What happened yesterday to get 46 pages deep in 24 hrs?

We got screwed.

I bought all the episodes of the Walking Dead but I haven't played but more than an hour of the first one. One day I'll go through and I'm sure I'll enjoy them, but apparently I don't ahve the patience for these kinds of adventure games anymore.

same. I have friends keep telling me to play them because they are so good and they want to talk about them with me and I just can not be bothered. I got them all on the Steam Sale :lol

Arnie

You're quite sure it wasn't . . . him ?

Very. Speaks with a thick southern twang, too.

And then an Everton fan sat next to me used the debate to further imply that the offside call yesterday was somehow deserved, or just part of the game. As if we should accept these cumbucket decisions because 'that's football'. Fucking do one, give the fourth official and iPad, and allow managers to make a finite number of challenges to avoid slowing the game down for each and every decision.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
GAF-bandwagon at it's best. Lewandowski making top 5's already. I think he's quality, but LOL.

Lol Gomez couldn't even score a goal like the one Lewandoski scored against Madrid in FIFA.

lol with dat Bayern squad even Big Andy would score more.

c'mon son

Love Dortmund's stadium. Can't beat one tier stands.

I'll probably do some stadium tours throughout Europe when my financial situation is more sound, but it's reassuring to know that I've already seen the best :p

Yeah pretty amazing turn around, especially compared to the other Ruhrgebiets club.;) But i think Dortmund got a little bit lucky, i mean it's great that the payroll is that low but players like Götze or Kagawa dont grow on trees. Sure Kagawa is gone now, but you just flipped him for Reus. And dont forget Klopp, fucking Jürgen Klopp. Imagine if Hoeneß would've signed him in 2008: he'd most likely be the Cologne coach now. ;)

The payroll is actually even lower. Those 80m include bonuses. I'm confident that we can continue that strategy of signing cheap, young players who are yet to "make a name for themselves" and if you look at the transfer rumors it's still super young players, some with a higher profile (Isco), some still relatively unknown and therefore still cheap (Rode, Kirchhoff) while other completely unknown/obscure (Arkadiusz Milik).

I don't really think we'll see "made stars" in Dortmund in the foreseeable future....unless we exceed all expectations and manage to get into the CL semis or something, then the management might have an incentive to spend some more and maybe even go for ppl. like KP Boateng or so.

Yeah, of course we got lucky with Klopp, but we'd probably manage the turnaround without him (Watzke is the main man here), it's just that there probably wouldn't be any championships to celebrate.
Yeah, Bayern probably won't make the most of its resources until Hoeneß/Rummgeficke retire - they just have way too much influence in the day-to-day affairs.

Arnie

I'll probably do some stadium tours throughout Europe when my financial situation is more sound, but it's reassuring to know that I've already seen the best :p
At some point in my life I will visit Dortmund and go to a game, the stadium looks amazing.

That article is fascinating, how Dortmund managed to completely turn the club around from the brink of bankruptcy, and also how much money they generate through commercial revenue. Also shows Arsenal up in that regard, which, admittedly, isn't a huge feat.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Very. Speaks with a thick southern twang, too.

And then an Everton fan sat next to me used the debate to further imply that the offside call yesterday was somehow deserved, or just part of the game. As if we should accept these cumbucket decisions because 'that's football'. Fucking do one, give the fourth official and iPad, and allow managers to make a finite number of challenges to avoid slowing the game down for each and every decision.

And isn't it faster to view a replay than discuss the incident with three other referees?

Ba is probably out. We're fucked. Completely fucked.

Behave next time. :)

Even Bayern ended up losing after Fry's senseless trolling.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
And isn't it faster to view a replay than discuss the incident with three other referees?

Even Bayern ended up losing after Fry's senseless trolling.

Damn son you sleep less than me.

Any football today? doubt it since we get cup football this week smh

K1LLER7

A set of computers should be set in every stadium next to the 4th official, give the team 2 challenges. Can be used only if a goal is scored during the offside call.

AndresON777

shooting blanks
Seven hours! I have the week off, I don't want to waste it on sleeping. :p

I can't wish ill on Newcastle, the injury to Ba was all I could manage.

You WILL lose next week though.

Word. Sleeping is a waste of time. I might hit 10 hours one day just to recharge but I usually only sleep about 5 or 6 hours.

Bayern's loss yesterday was so beautiful lol

<3, you can troll Barca when they fail to score against some shit team like Chelsea again :p

Arnie

You WILL lose next week though.

I don't have access to my gifs at the moment but this deserves one.

Sorry Kyoufu, we'll bounce back from being mugged and tank you. Sahin needs a good game, he lost it a bit in the derby. Allen was superb, I was thinking back to the game last night and just remembered the numerous instances when he battled and fought with Fellaini, a man nearly twice his physique, and never hid from anything. Admirable attitude in a hostile environement to which he was unaccustomed.

Kyoufu

Put Sterling back in his tiny, tiny box, plz.

He's going to get a hattrick against us like that other 17 year old Liverpool lad many moons ago.

I don't have access to my gifs at the moment but this deserves one.

Sorry Kyoufu, we'll bounce back from being mugged and tank you. Sahin needs a good game, he lost it a bit in the derby. Allen was superb, I was thinking back to the game last night and just remembered the numerous instances when he battled and fought with Fellaini, a man nearly twice his physique, and never hid from anything. Admirable attitude in a hostile environement to which he was unaccustomed.

Indeed. I expect to get mugged in Merseyside. :)

A draw I'd be happy with. A fluke win would have me laughing but I don't see either of those happening. We were so shit against WBA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom