• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

iEjkwGKFC0Kuj.gif

Ashley Young-esque

GorillaJu

Moyes: "I thought we played really well. I could tell why we're champions today."

I saw that posted before and thought it was a joke. Just saw it on Tony Barrett's Twitter so I'm assuming it isn't and instead going to just say, does Moyes realise how ridiculous quotes like that make him look? I mean he's not going to come out and say "we were shit" but come on, "played really well"? United were poor at best - us giving them basically all possession in the second half and them creating the square root of itsfuckingnothing.gif should have told him that.

Reminds me of someone... Oh yeah.

“Today was a famous victory because we hadn’t won more than once away in the whole of 2010,” Hodgson told Sky Sports. “When you’re down the bottom, and keep being reminded you’re down the bottom, anxiety kicks in.”

- ROY HODGSON, LIVERPOOL MANAGER

Wilbur

Banned
all but one player (Bale) was part of the squad that finished one point behind us last season. AVB chose to play those players, it didn't work.

Spurs lacked a quality creative player last season and they still lack one. AVB's playing a pretty physical 4-3-3 but Defoe, Soldado are not Drogba and Adebayor is shit. I don't think it has much to do with time to gel and more to do with the fact that they just don't have too many quality chance-creating passers in the team. And haven't really since Modric was sold.

I'm not saying they're faultless but the narrative that Spurs were somehow favourites because of the money spent is confusing me. Wenger's brilliant, Arsenal are at home, geed up to prove a point against a squad that haven't gelled yet. They lost 5-2 last year. They're level on points with you now. It's far too early for such definitive shit talking.

Capoue looks like he'll have some time out now but one of Paulinho/Dembele needs to be dropped for Holtby or Eriksen. No one helps out Soldado.

Suen

Bit disappointed to not see Agirretxe in Sociedad's line-up. Would like to see more of him, anyway game is ok so far.

Salvadora

I disagree. If it was at home to some shit team and no one in the side was firing, fair enough. Away at Arsenal who are going to be extra motivated to win, I don't see much reason for expecting a bunch of new boys to understand the passion and intensity that the derby brings, and they're on a different wavelength completely to Cazorla/Walcott/Giroud who have had a year to play.

Lamela's trained with the team what, once maybe? He only signed yesterday. Sandro's coming back from injury and being thrown into a high pressure and fast match. Townsend and Walker are guff and they cost nothing really.
I would have expected more with the players they put out on the pitch. They controlled the game possession wise yet did nothing with it, rarely testing the Arsenal defence. They looked lethargic and apathetic. Soldado cost more than Van Persie.

To me it didn't look like a lack of wavelength on the pitch at all.
all but one player (Bale) was part of the squad that finished one point behind us last season. AVB chose to play those players, it didn't work.

Spurs lacked a quality creative player last season and they still lack one. AVB's playing a pretty physical 4-3-3 but Defoe, Soldado are not Drogba and Adebayor is shit. I don't think it has much to do with time to gel and more to do with the fact that they just don't have too many quality chance-creating passers in the team. And haven't really since Modric was sold. Spurs had all the possession but created very few chances today.
Well said.

Labadal

Oh man you guys are harsh.

100m well spent on quality players. Its their first game after putting together an almost entirely new team. Quality will come through in the end - Arsenal came in at a great time to play Spurs.

IMO AVB picked the wrong team today. Dembele, Paulinho and Capoue are three players who all tend to gravitate into the same exact role of breaking up play, pounding forward and recycling possession.

STFU, we're gonna win the league with 38 1-0 victories. 3 down, 35 to go.

“Today was a famous victory because we hadn’t won more than once away in the whole of 2010,” Hodgson told Sky Sports. “When you’re down the bottom, and keep being reminded you’re down the bottom, anxiety kicks in.”

Strangely, the Trazbonspor quote has made it into a famous victory. Self-fulfilling idiotic prophecy :p

MPW

Bit disappointed to not see Agirretxe in Sociedad's line-up. Would like to see more of him, anyway game is ok so far.

they had CL qualification match on wednesday iirc

so i'm not surprised

sociedad and villareal are the best in la liga financially

no debts for either clubs iirc

GorillaJu

I'm not saying they're faultless but the narrative that Spurs were somehow favourites because of the money spent is confusing me. Wenger's brilliant, Arsenal are at home, geed up to prove a point against a squad that haven't gelled yet. They lost 5-2 last year. They're level on points with you now. It's far too early for such definitive shit talking.

Capoue looks like he'll have some time out now but one of Paulinho/Dembele needs to be dropped for Holtby or Eriksen. No one helps out Soldado.

It's simple:

Arsenal have something they believe in. Wenger does at least. He has a way he wants his teams to play football, he believes in his vision and his philosophy and he's good at getting others to believe in it as well.

You can spend all the money you want, but if the only thing you're doing is throwing cash at talent and hoping for results, you aren't guaranteed anything out of it. People aren't interested in buying what you sell, it's why you sell it. Spurs, to me, seem to be building a team off of finding players of a certain quality and then just buying them, almost like a miniature Man City.

It's partly why I think Brendan Rodgers, in the end, will be known as a good manager, even if his career at Liverpool amounts to nothing but the sack. Anyone who lugs around a 180-page manifesto about their personal philosophy is someone who is going to find success, so long as they keep up the ambition.

PaulLFC

:lol yep, they were depressing times. "This is a famous European victory in Trabzon!"

Yen

Spurs are following in Newcastle's footsteps in replacing half their team at once. Spurs will improve, and even be successful, but it'll take time.

Scum

I'd have...

------------------- Soldado ------------------
--- Lamela ---- Eriksen ---- Chadli ---
--- Capoue/Sandro --- Paulinho/Holtby

...But that's me. :p

jtb

Banned
"We need one or two super players. Maybe in 24 hours we can surprise you!

"I am ready to pay what we can afford, even if it over the market [value]."

is Wenger trolling us...

Salvadora

"We need one or two super players. Maybe in 24 hours we can surprise you!

"I am ready to pay what we can afford, even if it over the market [value]."

is Wenger trolling us...
It seems like a mistake to openly advertise that you will spend over the market value.

This is an honest, hardworking group of players we have here. Whatever we're playing for come May, I trust the boys to fight to the end. Haven't been able to say that with any Arsenal team for a while now.

Flamini will be so useful in big games too. Smart signing.

As for Spurs, they simply lack creativity in a big way. Lamela is a dribbler and a goal-getter, but it's on Eriksen to be the man to play those Cazorla/Oscar-esque passes. We'll see if he's up to it.

bud

It's simple:

Arsenal have something they believe in. Wenger does at least. He has a way he wants his teams to play football, he believes in his vision and his philosophy and he's good at getting others to believe in it as well.

You can spend all the money you want, but if the only thing you're doing is throwing cash at talent and hoping for results, you aren't guaranteed anything out of it. People aren't interested in buying what you sell, it's why you sell it. Spurs, to me, seem to be building a team off of finding players of a certain quality and then just buying them, almost like a miniature Man City.

It's partly why I think Brendan Rodgers, in the end, will be known as a good manager, even if his career at Liverpool amounts to nothing but the sack. Anyone who lugs around a 180-page manifesto about their personal philosophy is someone who is going to find success, so long as they keep up the ambition.

i agree with you. i don't think it's as easy as saying "they bought all these players, they need some time to get used to each other." of course, tottenham will get their wins, but it seems to me that bringing in that many starting-eleven players in just one transfer window is a bit too much; ideally, you'd want to spread that out over at least two seasons. they're going to have change their entire team around within the next few weeks. the notion that they'll magically turn into a side to be reckoned with after spending over a hundred million on all these new players is kind of ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom