• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
I hope Ozil can slot in pretty quickly. Even though he doesn't usually finish the full 90, he seems to have a pretty damn good injury record. He's been playing a 4-2-3-1 (albiet a pretty heavily counter-attacking system) so I think he can adapt with ease, don't really think the physicality of the league is that much of an issue for these lightweight tricky playmakers anymore. Cazorla had no problem hitting the ground running, he also didn't have a pre-season last summer.

I too wish Zelalem would go for the USMNT but I can't see that happening when he's surrounded by so much German talent. Especially if he fulfills his potential.

I have some minor fears that Ozil's heart isn't in the right place since he's kinda been forced out, though I think he's a consummate professional and will do amazing things for us.

Now that's all over with, I'll say I'm really, really happy with our business over the summer. We got a lot of our deals done early and we're a mile away from the shambles of last season, frantically offering Jordan Henderson in exchange for Clint Dempsey and not even getting that, all while losing 3-0 at West Brom on the opening day. I'd have loved the fabled left-sided attacker to bring goals but we've probably looked at the players out there and decided the quality isn't out there unless you're willing to overpay stupidly. Which I'm fine with. I think Rodgers said on the website that we could have a look again in January so it's all good. Moses isn't a terrible compromise, in fact he could end up being another Rodgers Revelation™. We've improved the squad massively, not necessarily in terms of numbers but we have much more quality throughout the squad now.

I'm really glad we've improved the defence mainly, I feel really excited about Sakho. If you'd have told me at the start of the window that we'd get Sakho I'd have had to install a bucket under my computer desk to control the ejaculate.

I just love that we're being run in a much smarter (or less stupid/idiotic/rash/unresponsible?) way. If we don't feel like a deal will give us anywhere near the value we want we're not scared to walk away. Look at it this way: Mkhitaryan had Dortmund lined up already, Costa never wanted to go and Willian had 2 higher-placed clubs offering (presumably) higher wages than us. None of them really wanted to come to us as their first priority. The sort of money we'd have needed to throw at any of those 3 to turn their heads would be bloody ridiculous and just not worth the risk, even for players of that quality.

Final note: I'm really content about the fact we're using the loan market to our advantage more. I feel like if we'd have been chasing a player like Sahin years ago we'd have only bought him outright and we'd now be stuck with a high-wage player we can't shift and doesn't fit in to our team. As it was, it didn't work out and we shipped him back. No harm done. If we were chasing a player like Moses years ago we'd have overpaid massively on the transfer fee and wages and it'd be a fuck-huge risk.

Oh, and actual final thing: Roy Hodgson can stay the fuck away from iLori. We've only just got him for fuck's sake.

EDIT: And we stood firm over Suarez and told Arsenal to fuck off. I actually quite like Arsenal (well, I don't hate them, so that's an elite, exclusive group there) but no. Just...no. As it stands we've got two of the best strikers in the league and Coutinho. :)

PM me your steam name. Also who are you going to play as? I'm thinking of starting off with Rome or Athens. It sucks that they didn't include the Seleucid in the launch or the first day patch. :(

Bungieware

I haven't decided yet. Can you still choose which house of Rome you want to play as? Carthage might be fun.

Tc91

Two things.

Arnie, talking of Sahko take a look at these.

1M9QB9G.jpg

OLjL5dX.jpg

Naughty or what?

Feel for the guy. Wasn't he even willing to take a wage cut to get the move done?

Could have got Fellaini in earlier with his release clause price and used that extra cash to push the Herrera deal through.
That doesn't really matter though.

We should have paid the money. Both combined would have come in at £60m.

We have that money, we have so much more, the club just do not want to spend money where they can avoid it.

It's an irony the way the two deals panned out but there is absolutely no reason, no good reason, why we didn't sign Herrera.

nemesun

I honestly can say, we have the strongest midfield in the entirety of premier league:

----Arteta/Flamini---------Wilshere/Rambo

Theo/OX--------Ozil/Rosicky--------Santi/Podolski

If we bring in a quality striker or two during the Jan window, I could see us challenging for the title ( if we manage to stay within the touching distance of 1st that is).

TrueBlue

I'm reasonably happy with Chelsea's business this season. I think we're pretty stacked in both defence and midfield. My only real concern is the lack of a marquee striker, which is further exacerbated by the Lukaku loan. I'd also have liked to get a holding midfielder to fully cover the back four, or a playmaker who can make those deep incisive passes. Still, I think our squad is better than it was at the beginning of the window. Onward and upward from here.

Wilbur

Banned

We have that money, we have so much more, the club just do not want to spend money where they can avoid it.

It's an irony the way the two deals panned out but there is absolutely no reason, no good reason, why we didn't sign Herrera.

Mm. Just pretty speechless trying to support what the club have done this summer.

mekes

£27.5m for Fellaini. Moyes cost United £4m with his poor dealings and indecisive nature this summer. 4,000,000 pounds.

If he ever uses the whole no value in the market slogan they like to throw around at United, I think we owe him a slap.

K1LLER7

Hala Madrid ;_:

How was your first day at work?

£27.5m for Fellaini. Moyes cost United £4m with his poor dealings and indecisive nature this summer. 4,000,000 pounds.

If he ever uses the whole no value in the market slogan they like to throw around at United, I think we owe him a slap.
Ffs.

Why do we have so many thick fans like you.

Dibbz

Our German contingent is growing!

Ozil
Mertesacker
Podolski
Eisfeld
Gnabry
Zelalem

I hope to see Eisfeld, Gnabry and Zelalem integrated into the team more this season. All 3 seem to have bright futures ahead of them, especially Zelalem. Now we need to keep it alive and sign someone like Muller or Hummels next! :p

WE GERMANY NOW

kharma45

It's not Moyes tbf, it's more Woodward.

Scum

Not Moyes. Woodward is the problem here.

PaulLFC

Dan Kennett ‏@DanKennett 35s
Recap: fellaini release clause £24m. Initial baines & fellaini double bid £28m. Final Fellaini price £27.5m #planning #strategy

#MathsWithEd

MPW

At this point, I would like to thank Tottenham Hotspur. While I think there were deals Wenger could and should have gotten done earlier in the transfer window, he did maintain that things would happen in the market generally near the deadline. Gareth Bale's move to Madrid has undoubtedly caused the domino effect of the club being willing to let Ozil go. Had Spurs resisted Madrid, I can't see how Ozil to Arsenal would have materialised. So after losing the North London derby, Spurs have also lost their best player and inadvertently helped Arsenal make one of their most exciting signings ever.

spurs lol

Timurid

Bungieware

I haven't decided yet. Can you still choose which house of Rome you want to play as? Carthage might be fun.
Ok, I'll add you in a few.

Nope you can only play as Rome. I liked that feature too, but the fanboys started to cry about how it wasn't historically accurate.
28th Dec.

Thanks, I hope Sakho punishes them.

Aubameyang's:
rBfg3x4l.jpg

qWWohJx.jpg

Is this a thing in French football lol?
I posted that a long time ago, but everyone ignored my post. Fucking cunts

I honestly can say, we have the strongest midfield in the entirety of premier league:

----Arteta/Flamini---------Wilshere/Rambo

Theo/OX--------Ozil/Rosicky--------Santi/Podolski

If we bring in a quality striker or two during the Jan window, I could see us challenging for the title ( if we manage to stay within the touching distance of 1st that is).

higuain.

god knows what happened.

with higuain and ozil.... anything could happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom