• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tc91

Yeah Veron is a good shout. Turned out pretty shit for us though to be fair.

Just don't know where to start with this summer just an absolute mess.

De Rossi was allowed to leave according to Roma's manager yet we wait until they sell Lamela and Osvaldo before bidding - denied.

Cesc never wanted to join us whilst we farted around lowballing then he turns up at a press conference and declares his love for Barca - denied.

Thiago we followed for weeks, months even years if you believe Graham Hunter, lost him to Pep - denied.

Ozil was deemed not good enough/not needed for us he goes to Arse - denied.

Wouldn't stump up the £30m release clause for Herrera and even our imposters got denied.

50m euro bid for Khedira with 20 minutes left of the window - denied.

Sign a afro for £27.5m when he was available for £23m all summer.

Manchester United. Goodnight.

Barzul

If Giroud and one of Per/Kos are out for any extended period of time I think Arsenal are pretty fucked. Walcott can play upfront but then you lose a huge outlet on the right. Sagna can play in the middle but he's hardly excellent at it. They need far more bodies. They'll be absolutely brilliant to watch this season in spells but Spurs and Liverpool have the depth now.
We got hit hard with injuries. Once Chambo, Arteta, Poldi and Verma get back the squad is in much better shape and can compete in multiple fronts. We still should have signed a striker.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm just saying that I disagree with people saying Chelsea are a lock for top 2 when I don't think that's the case. I think it's a toss up. Chelsea may win the league. They may not. Nothing would surprise me.

I suppose its just people - myself included - comparing it to everyone else in the running.

Arsenal - best coach in the league, added a world class player but no depth, been well off the pace for years now
Liverpool - even further off the pace, added lots of quality but not title winning about now
Spurs - sold their best player, bedding in tons of new ones, again well off the points total
United - lost the greatest manager in the game, underwhelming transfer window, predictable style of play
City - new manager not used to the league with no trophy pedigree, mentally still look frigid at times even though they don't have much to bed in
Chelsea - nonexistent centre midfield and forward problems, but signed a few class players, have a manager who gets utter belief out of everyone there, and the best keeper in the world (IMO)

Wilbur

Banned
We got hit hard with injuries. Once Chambo, Arteta, Poldi and Verma get back the squad is in much better shape and can compete in multiple fronts. We still should have signed a striker.

I think Vermaelen's shit so playing with him is fucking awful.

Best

Arsenal still lacking a physical presence. The 'get it up em' approach is still going to work wonders against the midfield.

Linius

Yeah Veron is a good shout. Turned out pretty shit for us though to be fair.

Just don't know where to start with this summer just an absolute mess.

De Rossi was allowed to leave according to Roma's manager yet we wait until they sell Lamela and Osvaldo before bidding - denied.

Cesc never wanted to join us whilst we farted around lowballing then he turns up at a press conference and declares his love for Barca - denied.

Thiago we followed for weeks, months even years if you believe Graham Hunter, lost him to Pep - denied.

Ozil was deemed not good enough/not needed for us he goes to Arse - denied.

Wouldn't stump up the £30m release clause for Herrera and even our imposters got denied.

50m euro bid for Khedira with 20 minutes left of the window - denied.

Sign a afro for £27.5m when he was available for £23m all summer.

Manchester United. Goodnight.

It's on a different level concerning the money and players involved but it looks so alike to what Ajax did this summer. Swooping in for players after their club already sold players in that position, how fucking stupid can you be?

jtb

Banned
Frankly, I don't really think our midfield is that brittle anymore. Ramsey and Wilshere are pretty physical players, and they're willing to fight for every ball. Flamini's a physical presence, and what Arteta lacks in physicality, he makes up for in positional discipline. Sure, the team is still pretty short and maybe the midfielders could put on some muscle, but I don't think it's any more or less fragile than most of the other top midfields in the league.

Our biggest problem last season was an inability to create and score. More than half of our matches last season, we scored one goal or less. That's not good enough when you're relying on attacking football to win matches. Ozil should help change that, I hope.

I honestly won't be surprised if half the reason for Woodward's disappearance is because he's doing all the transfer work while fucking a mistress in high price hotels around the world.

Dibbz

Ramsey, Wilshere and Flemini aren't pushovers. They're not afraid to mix it up.

arsenal_flamini_retur8js8a.gif

Flamini don't give a fuck.

valeo

Honestly disgusted. Sitting here feeling fucking ill at how our club's conducted itself this summer.

Feel sorry for Herrera who has missed out on a move. Feel sorry for Moyes and Fellaini who will be scapegoats. Feel sorry for myself because I've got a broken heart, a broken soul and I've just done a fart that really fucking burnt.

Woe is you, signing a player for 27m quid ffs.

Fucking entitled United fans.

Barzul

Not being afraid is one thing though.

Ramsey and Wilshere can and will get outmuscled. Wilshere will probably break the poor thing.

Ramsey is no pushover and has come leaps and bounds physically. Wilshere though is still pretty fragile. If we didn't have issues with Spurs physically imposing midfield, doubt a lot of teams will give us trouble on that front.

Darth Sonik

we need more FPS games
Gotta say Wenger has done a great bit of business. What a coup Özil is, that's a huge signing.

Fellaini will be massive for United, I think he will be a force of nature for them.

Moses, Sakho, Ilori will make sure we finally have a proper squad fit for purpose. Still light on forwards/attacking midfielders compared to the top teams.

Wilbur

Banned
He's not that bad for a 3rd choice defender.

I think he's got arguably one of the poorest positional senses I've ever seen in a central defender. Constantly out of line with his partners, constantly playing people onside, constantly tracking the wrong runners, too slow in the tackle. He scored a fuckton of goals that obscured his actual skill.

Add that to my thoughts on Koscielny (physically very good but far too rash) and Mertesacker who I think technically is great but will get roasted by some players, and I really really think Arsenal needed another CB option this year. Picking Toure back up on a free could have been a really really good deal, and one I almost expected Wenger to do a few months back actually. Speaking in hindsight now obviously considering he's started well for Pool, but it surprised me that Djourou and Squillaci were let go without anyone coming in.

Ramsey is no pushover and has come leaps and bounds physically. Wilshere though is still pretty fragile. If we didn't have issues with Spurs physically imposing midfield, doubt a lot of teams will give us trouble on that front.
NLD is a very one off game though.

Anyhow I don't think physicality specifically is what would give Arsenal trouble in midfield, more a lack of defensive awareness which IMO nobody has. Artera did an okay job last year though..and now you have Flaimini so I guess we'll see how he does.

ShogunX

Liverpool fans...Everytime.

Ahhh you were fishing all along..of course you wereZzzzzz. We've got two full weeks to gloat, tell everybody how Sturridge is the best English striker, explain how Brendan is a stud and laugh at you all for being beneath us.

You have to enjoy these moments when they come along :)

PaulLFC

Ed Woodward NOT ‏@woodward_ed 2h
Hang on a second. Was Fellaini's buy-out clause £23.5m? I thought it was £33.5m. FUCK I just spent £27.5m him. FUCK. #mufc

valeo

:lol

Shut up you fucking gargoyle, where in your post have you addressed the concerns I have in my post?

Your 'heart is broken' and the world is ending because you didn't sign a couple more players - get over it. You won the league last year with this squad ffs.

ShogunX

Did Coentrao/Man Utd complete the move in time?

Your 'heart is broken' and the world is ending because you didn't sign a couple more players - get over it. You won the league last year with this squad ffs.

Last year they had one of the greatest managers to every grace the game. This year they have David Moyes.

Wilbur

Banned

I've actually alluded to personal problems a few times throughout the day like the sad cunt I am as well as my problems with whats going on with the football club, I didn't think it was entirely unclear that it didn't refer to that.

Ivan Peris, RB who played for Roma last season, has been loaned to Sporting.
Wasn´t expecting anything today so getting a decent playmaker (Victor) and a new RB makes me happy.

Meier

Hard to fathom that Arsenal crushed their record signing amount by about 2.5x. Who'd have guessed their record would top City's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom