• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linius

Ivan Peris, RB who played for Roma last season, has been loaned to Sporting.
Wasn´t expecting anything today so getting a decent playmaker (Victor) and a new RB makes me happy.

If you could put Labyad on the next plane for me I'd like that. Then we both have had a happy day :(

haha, i was just about to post this.

however, since he's now an arsenal player, i fully expect him to pull his hamstrings in of germany's upcoming games.
lol, would just be our fucking luck wouldn't it?!

going to watch Germany for my boy, fuck England on Friday.

arkon

I've actually alluded to personal problems a few times throughout the day like the sad cunt I am as well as my problems with whats going on with the football club, I didn't think it was entirely unclear that it didn't refer to that.

I seriously thought you were broken-hearted about the Ozil thing and your lot signing only Fellaini.

Wilbur

Banned
I seriously thought you were broken-hearted about the Ozil thing and your lot signing only Fellaini.

maybe it did come across that way.

Nah, really fucked off at the club tho. Not too fussed about Ozil, I'd rather see Kagawa given a fair swing at things.

If you could put Labyad on the next plane for me I'd like that. Then we both have had a happy day :(

I wish I could. I think he needs to get away from here, a loan would do him good.
It seems Iván Paris was bought, not a loan. I didn´t watch any game from Roma last season, it seems he was their main RB. Anyone has any opinion on him?

maybe it did come across that way.

Nah, really fucked off at the club tho. Not too fussed about Ozil, I'd rather see Kagawa given a fair swing at things.

I can't really blame Moyes either. It's not like he's doing the negotiations.

I'm more mad that we spent weeks trying to get Cesc when we could have used that time to get someone else. I like Fellaini, I think he's a worthwhile buy but we could also have done more this transfer window.

And fuck, why didn't we just buy Baines. His style of play is perfect for us :(

Mikro

Neo Member
I think he's got arguably one of the poorest positional senses I've ever seen in a central defender. Constantly out of line with his partners, constantly playing people onside, constantly tracking the wrong runners, too slow in the tackle. He scored a fuckton of goals that obscured his actual skill.

Add that to my thoughts on Koscielny (physically very good but far too rash) and Mertesacker who I think technically is great but will get roasted by some players, and I really really think Arsenal needed another CB option this year. Picking Toure back up on a free could have been a really really good deal, and one I almost expected Wenger to do a few months back actually. Speaking in hindsight now obviously considering he's started well for Pool, but it surprised me that Djourou and Squillaci were let go without anyone coming in.

I think I'm at the point where I would prefer to play Sagna at centre back over Vermaelen and have Jenkinson at right back, Vermaelen & Koscielney is absolute shite when theoretically it should of been our best partnership. Think you need Mertesacker there ordering the defence and Sagna has genuinely slotted into our current centre back system.

People will say that when he first moved here Vermaelens his goals covered up defensive mistakes but I feel there's more to it than that. His partnership with Gallas was quite promising at the time and it did feel like at the time he could grow into a world class centre back (Our Vidic was used around the time hahaha).

Then he missed a whole season with injury and I think it has detracted from his game which has gone unnoticed. He doesn't work at all with one of our centrebacks and only does OKish with Per. There's also this feeling that being the captain weighed heavily on him last year.

Say currently Mertesacker is our biggest communicator at Centre back, would he last year be able to talk down to our club captain and tell him where to hold a line and who should essentially be doing that job but is shit at it? (Flashbacks to White Hart Lane)

I think if he hadn't been injured he would of been sold ala Gervinho, 2 years left on his deal is renew or sell time same as the Gerv.

Dibbz

I'm going to watch Germany too.

I can't handle 90 minutes of Wilshere being fouled.

More like can't stand watching 90 minutes of a team being managed by Roy Hodgson.

First 2 games back for Arsenal are Sunderland away and Stoke at home. Welcome to the Premier League Özil :(

PaulLFC

Is the Fellaini deal for real?

What happens to my FPL if I have 3 ManU players and Fellaini?
You keep them until you try and make a transfer then it complains you have too many players from one team, I think. At least that's how it used to work a couple of years ago.

arkon

So the Coentrao thing looks to have failed as well.

edit:

somebody could make a really fun movie out of this transfer window malarky.

Fergie

Banned
NSTQfjy.jpg

arkon

That was meant to be. You know Fellaini is the perfect avatar for Wilbury. Just pop his head on that old cartoon with the guitar one.

Wilbur

Banned
I think he'll look good in the shirt. Happy we got him, if all that went missing underneath the hatred and bile for the Cunt Woody.

Plus I also want to see him completely bald and with a large portion of his head hair transferred to his chin.

cremino

I wish I could. I think he needs to get away from here, a loan would do him good.
It seems Iván Paris was bought, not a loan. I didn´t watch any game from Roma last season, it seems he was their main RB. Anyone has any opinion on him?

You mean Ivan Piris?? He was at Roma on loan from Deportivo Maldonado (Roma had an option to buy but didn't excercised it). To be fair he wasn't that good and after Zeman's sacking he was benched in favor of Torosidis

Showaddy

I think he'll look good in the shirt. Happy we got him, if all that went missing underneath the hatred and bile for the Cunt Woody.

Plus I also want to see him completely bald and with a large portion of his head hair transferred to his chin.

Something like this?

Sandros+beard.png

omgkitty

Hopefully with the signing of Ozil, this means we won't have to see Walcott take any more free kicks or corners. While he has gotten better, he's still shit at them and world's behind someone like Arteta, Cazorla or Ozil. Always made me wonder why Santi wasn't taking them. Been watching some videos and it seems Ozil is very good at indirect free kicks and corners, and I've always felt that's something we've lacked, and with players like Giroud, Mertesacker and Koscielny, I hope to see more goals from set plays.

You mean Ivan Piris?? He was at Roma on loan from Deportivo Maldonado (Roma had an option to buy but didn't excercised it). To be fair he wasn't that good and after Zeman's sacking he was benched in favor of Torosidis

Yeah, Piris. He came out of nowhere, first time I saw his name was 15 minutes ago. Let´s see how he does, he should be our backup RB.

Wilbur

Banned
Manchester United manager David Moyes said: “I have worked with Marouane for five years and I’m delighted he has decided to join Manchester United. He is a player with great ability and strength and I think he will make a real difference to our squad.”

Marouane Fellaini said: “I am thrilled to sign for Manchester United. I have known the manager for many years now and I have a lot of respect for his way of working. When I was given the opportunity to work with him again, I jumped at the chance. I had a fantastic time at Everton and I’d like to thank all the fans and staff there for everything they have done for me. But being a Manchester United player is something that every player dreams of and I believe that I can make a real contribution to the team’s efforts to win trophies in the future."

Salvadora

Hopefully with the signing of Ozil, this means we won't have to see Walcott take any more free kicks or corners. While he has gotten better, he's still shit at them and world's behind someone like Arteta, Cazorla or Ozil. Always made me wonder why Santi wasn't taking them. Been watching some videos and it seems Ozil is very good at indirect free kicks and corners, and I've always felt that's something we've lacked, and with players like Giroud, Mertesacker and Koscielny, I hope to see more goals from set plays.
I have a feeling that the new contract came with a verbal promise that he would take set pieces.

I see no other explanation.

Was Real really interested in Rodrigo or it was all made up??

Most likely made up. He hasn´t shown anything special, I was watching the match on Saturday with a group of Benfica supporters and they were all upset that he was playing, on normal conditions he is the third choice to play behind the striker.

Agreed.

Walcott just wants to be Henry :lol this is why he takes every free-kick, corner etc.

Ozil has 80 something assists in the last three seasons; really impressive stats. FUCK IM EXCITED, WHY DID THERE HAVE TO BE AN INTERNATIONAL BREAK FUCK YOU FIFA

arkon

Manchester United manager David Moyes said: “I have worked with Marouane for five years and I’m delighted he has decided to join Manchester United. He is a player with great ability and strength and I think he will make a real difference to our squad.”

Marouane Fellaini said: “I am thrilled to sign for Manchester United. I have known the manager for many years now and I have a lot of respect for his way of working. When I was given the opportunity to work with him again, I jumped at the chance. I had a fantastic time at Everton and I’d like to thank all the fans and staff there for everything they have done for me. But being a Manchester United player is something that every player dreams of and I believe that I can make a real contribution to the team’s efforts to win trophies in the future."

He'll certainly be of use in those Johnstone's Paint Trophy games.

WJD

So we actually signed the big hairy fucker. Hopefully he's been signed as a proper midfielder instead of the chest-on-legs he was used as last season.

Lightning

Banned
The foundations of our club have changed this window.

Who expected us to bid such amounts before the window started? Not many. Who expected us to sign Mesut Ozil? Not many. We cleared the dead wood with Bendtner on his last year.

We need a proper gk, another defender and a quality striker but we are in a better position now than before the window started. Getting that first quality signing is always the hardest it's what happens in the next 12mths that defines Arsenal. Goes without saying that CL qualification is a must.

Meier

Oh

sportingintelligence ‏@sportingintel 1h
Ozil's transfer fee of £42.3m the third biggest transfer fee ever paid by English club after #cfc for Torres (£50m) & #mcfc for Tevez (£45m)

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/da...011/aug/23/carlos-tevez-legal-battle-revealed

Thought it was all confirmed to be 45m but not 'officially'
Well, officially Aguero is our record signing at £38m. The Tevez fee was probably higher in that perhaps we paid West Ham some and Kia some (who knows to be honest).

http://www1.skysports.com/football/player/1030/carlos-tevez -- Sky has £25m.
http://edition.cnn.com/2009/SPORT/football/07/14/tevez.manchester.city.adebayor/ -- CNN has $40m.

Wilbur

Banned
Any of the teams that miss out on CL this year will find it really galling. Last year Liverpool knew they were miles off from the start, and Spurs at least had the record points total, a first team that wasn't amazing on paper, a new coach...

But this year? Spurs can point to rebuilding an entire team but for that money you'd want a return. Arsenal have spent 40m on a player and if they don't make it then will he want out after a year? Liverpool have the least concern but Suarez will probably want out and they'll still have a hard time getting a marquee signing.

Not to mention that if any of United, Chelsea or City drop out it'll be fucking catastrophic. Big repercussions for the two that don't make it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom