• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

GHG

Gold Member
The future:

-------------Wilshire-----------
------------Cesc------------------
Theo----------Ozil------Cazorla
--------------Suarez--------------

This is Wenger's vision.

rar

The future:

This is Wenger's vision.

who is this wilshire guy? he must be a defensive midfielder, right?

cremino

The future:

This is Wenger's vision.

I think Real might still be interested in Suarez next season but you could still get Benzema in that case

arkon

Any of the teams that miss out on CL this year will find it really galling. Last year Liverpool knew they were miles off from the start, and Spurs at least had the record points total, a first team that wasn't amazing on paper, a new coach...

But this year? Spurs can point to rebuilding an entire team but for that money you'd want a return. Arsenal have spent 40m on a player and if they don't make it then will he want out after a year? Liverpool have the least concern but Suarez will probably want out and they'll still have a hard time getting a marquee signing.

Not to mention that if any of United, Chelsea or City drop out it'll be fucking catastrophic. Big repercussions for the two that don't make it.

Exciting times indeed.

I would love it if it was really close at the top and with at least three or four teams still in contention in April next year.

jtb

Banned
Theo's set pieces are diabolical. Why anyone not named Cazorla has ever taken set pieces in the last year is completely baffling.

Lightning

Banned
Theo's set pieces are diabolical. Why anyone not named Cazorla has ever taken set pieces in the last year is completely baffling.
Cazorla needs to take all set pieces in the opposition half. No question. Theo sucks at free kicks.

I'm really looking forward to how Wenger gets the best out of Ozil. I really think he is our real Fabregas replacement but we should stick to our counter attacking style, it's super effective.

Dibbz

Man I just realized Diaby is still on our team.

Hope he's back in time to for the Diaby Show (Liverpool)

diaby_liverpoolemuuv.gif

Any of the teams that miss out on CL this year will find it really galling. Last year Liverpool knew they were miles off from the start, and Spurs at least had the record points total, a first team that wasn't amazing on paper, a new coach...

But this year? Spurs can point to rebuilding an entire team but for that money you'd want a return. Arsenal have spent 40m on a player and if they don't make it then will he want out after a year? Liverpool have the least concern but Suarez will probably want out and they'll still have a hard time getting a marquee signing.

Not to mention that if any of United, Chelsea or City drop out it'll be fucking catastrophic. Big repercussions for the two that don't make it.

My money...is on United.

jtb

Banned

Spurs are basically in the same boat as last season. Lost their key, best player, will have to reinvent themselves again. You say they've spent a lot of money, but really, it's zero net. Maybe someone fucks it up but... I have my doubts about Spurs ability to qualify for the CL and this past weekend has solidified those doubts. Not to mention, everyone else has strengthened too. Liverpool aren't making top 4. So really I see the established order being maintained... again.

Fry

Mignolet

Enrique Agger Sakho Johnson

Gerrard Lucas
COutinho

Suarez Sturridge Moses

NNNNNNNNNNNHGHNG. Top 4 here we go.

Showaddy

Spurs are basically in the same boat as last season. Lost their key, best player, will have to reinvent themselves again. You say they've spent a lot of money, but really, it's zero net. Maybe someone fucks it up but... I have my doubts about Spurs ability to qualify for the CL and this past weekend has solidified those doubts. Not to mention, everyone else has strengthened too. Liverpool aren't making top 4. So really I see the established order being maintained... again.

Spurs are in a much better position than last season. They only had to rely on Bale in the 2nd half of the season because they were hamstrung by injuries and their strikers shit form.
Now they've got a quality striker, a proper creative 10 in Eriksen & added depth to survive the whole season.

Fry

Will Liverpool even qualify for the Europa League this season?

I don't get your hatred for Liverpool. Is it because they are a never ending threat to your 4th place in the table (aka the only achievement Arsenal can be proud of for a decade)?

Showaddy

So Fellaini means Kagawa will never play, right?

Not necessarily, Fellaini could be used as the defensive lynchpin of the midfield in a double pivot with Carrick with Kagawa playing behind RvP.

Then again Moyes will probably just play 4-4-2 with Fellaini-Carrick & Welbeck upfront with Kagawa in the stands...

ShogunX

Will Arsenal, Spurs, Liverpool and Man Utd even qualify for the Europa League this season?

Who knows. It's shaping up to be the most competitive season for a long time and I'm sure we will all thoroughly enjoy being cunts to each other.

Arsenal are going to have to avoid injury's and hope Flamini is the answer to their CDM woes.

Spurs are going to be hoping their new players can gel quickly and hope the likes of Lamela can make up for the loss of Bale.

Man Utd
are going to need RvP to stay fit and for Moyes to not carry on being inept.

Liverpool are going to need to stay solid at the back, have Suarez not be a cunt and hope the form of Sturridge continues. Out of everyone we need the most things to go our way.

Then if a few other signings click into place you could see the rise of Swansea, Southampton, Everton again and who knows who else? Stoke are going to be hard to beat all over again, Villa look sharp and Norwich have made some shrewd signings.

I also think Newcastle will do better this year, WBA will do a lot worse, Sunderland will be about the same (I badly overestimated Di Canio) and I think Fulham might actually get dragged into a relegation scrap Berbatov or not.

cremino

It's funny and sad at the same time that Real Madrid spend a fuckton of money in players despite their great youth sector (Mata, Soldado and Negredo are just some of the most famous examples)

sohois

Well that was a long 50 pages of transfer muppetry.

I like how with one win over Spurs and one big signing has Arsenal fans all optimistic, speaking of title challenges, having the best midfield and bringing in more superstar players.

Ozil was doubtless an important signing and one they needed to do, if only for the psychological effects it will have on the team and the fans, yet his signing has still left Arsenal with gaping holes in their squad.

Would anyone disagree that ultimately Arsenal would have been stronger bringing in 3 £15million players, a GK, CB and DM or perhaps another striker, rather than splashing it all on Ozil? Arsenal are just one or two injuries away from having to bring in 18 year olds and given their record I wouldn't bet against those injuries.

Furthermore, Arsenal fans should be supremely wary of the law of small numbers; 5 games is far too small a sample size to begin making sweeping generalizations about the likes of Ramsay and Giroud. To be fair to Arsenal, every fan, every team is guilty of such errors and we can't particularly say anything about Liverpool, Spurs or any other teams new signings and potential this season from the handful of league games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom