• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

But why didn't Dortmund buy him? That's what I want to know

Seems like every team that looked at him came to similar conclusions about his ability and none of them really thought he had what it takes. No doubt he has potential, but the expected utility of the player is presumably low due to the risks of his personality.

He wasn't exactly a first choice for Tottenham either, but with Willian gone there were very few options left for attacking players and Eriksen is a good buy considering their team composition

qindarka

Banned
Jeez, I'm so glad I was asleep for that last bit of Mata madness yesterday. Did the BBC really report that he was close to a PSG move?

sohois

Liverpool-GAF:

I've seen this opinion expressed a few times without really any discussion on it, so I wanted to see what others think.

Do you think Rodgers aims to switch to a 3-5-2 as his default formation for the season?

It's an idea that seems to have come up a lot in the past 2 season, as even under Kenny 3-5-2 was suggested as a good alternative strategy, plus I have seen it often said that Rodgers would prefer to play such a formation. Despite this, we have rarely seen it deployed. However, looking at it now it seems to be a good solution for some of the squad balance issues and would explain accumulation of 5 CBs (not counting Wisdom or the injured Coates).

A formation like so:
---------------Mig
---Sakho-Skrtel-Agger---
Johnson-----------Enrique/Cissokho
--------Lucas-Gerrard-----
------------Coutinho--------
------Suarez-Sturridge---

does solve some potential problems
-It allows both Suarez and Sturridge to play through the middle (and Aspas as well) instead of forcing one out wide. Even the likes of Moses, Stirling and Ibe could be deployed as false nines without too much adjustment
-It allows Coutinho through the middle as well
-Removes the necessity to play Henderson. Whilst his play has deserved a place, sometimes it does seem that Liverpool have no choice, that they would be too exposed with Coutinho in the middle and another winger. With the 3 CBs his energy becomes less important
- Allows Liverpool to fit in all their defenders, so Sakho won't sulk, Skrtel won't be wasted and Ilori will get chances unlike Coates.

The main risk of the formation that I see is Johnson; if he is injured then Kelly/Wisdom don't have the attacking chops to replace him, plus it will put a lot of strain on someone who struggled with fitness at the end of last season.

Thoughts?
-

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It expired in July IIRC. Moyes likely didn't want to trigger it out of respect to his former club, and because he's a fucking moron.
Wouldn't it be more respectful to buy him in July to give them more time to find a proper replacement?

>year is 2014
>Manchester United finishes 5th in the league
>energy used to worship Ashley Young is channeled into inventing time travel
>small band of United-GAF return to that fateful day. September 2nd 2013. Bilbao.
>last ditch attempt, for death and glory, to fix the Herrera deal
>fails misery
>sudden realization
>we are the imposters
>you can't change the past
>you can't change the past

Haha that's brilliant!

So khedira is pretty much the last major german in the spanish league huh? Kinda interesting that the germans teams seem to do okay in the champions league yet the german players seem to get not much love outside the bundesliga

Feorax

The main risk of the formation that I see is Johnson; if he is injured then Kelly/Wisdom don't have the attacking chops to replace him, plus it will put a lot of strain on someone who struggled with fitness at the end of last season.

-

We could always use Ilori.

Carbonox

So khedira is pretty much the last major german in the spanish league huh? Kinda interesting that the germans teams seem to do okay in the champions league yet the german players seem to get not much love outside the bundesliga

I don't think it's to do with love seeing as the best German players will probably forever remain on the wishlists of many of the top Spanish clubs.

I think it's to do with the fact that the Bundesliga and its respective big clubs are great at keeping hold of their star players, more so now than ever before. The Bundesliga has really rose in quality and legitimacy. Players now have no need to leave the likes of Bayern and Dortmund, for the most part. They're big draws today (though Bayern has always been a draw) whereas the La Liga isn't as much (unless the best clubs come knocking).

It's becoming more and more evident that players have no need or desire to leave Germany and that's great to see. The Bundesliga is my favourite league now outside of the Premier League. It's a huge draw now, with a great promotion in the Champions League final.

confuziz

Banned
United GAF reaction after the transferwindow

a8WyLAV_460sa_v1.gif

Salazar

What do you make of Moyes?

I think he'll be good for us. The Glazers took the piss out of him this window. Unforgivable, chiselling, manky ratfuckers.

He's basically nade it public that he wants Evra replaced.

So do I. With Fabio.

The persistant Baines bids and then the desperate last minute Contreao [sp] effort spoke 100 words.

Coentrao loan bid was fucking mental, but the lust for Baineses the assist-machine was completely understandable. Evra's big enough to handle it.

pappe

Seeing the Arsenal fans all happy and gung-ho about their chances for this season just reminds me of 1 thing.

The Arsenal Cycle.

Its working like clockwork.

GorillaJu

I don't think we'll play 3-5-2. We've basically bought players who fit best in a 4-5-1 or a 4-2-2-2, which is basically what we played against Villa and Utd, with Aspas and Sturridge our strikers, Hendo and Cou our links, and Lucas and Gerrard our pivots.

We haven't looked as good with the ball lately but I think that's partially because of what Brendan has been focusing on lately - playing as a unit that is hard to break down.

I am excited to see what Moses brings to the table but I do not want to see Henderson pushed to the periphery. He's been excellent. My personal MOTM vs Utd.

sohois

We could always use Ilori.

At Right Wing back? I know he's right footed but I believe his full back experience has been at Lb thus far, furthermore, as another converted CB I don't see that Ilori would be any more dangerous going forward than Kelly or Wisdom; yes one may argue that his immense pace could make him more of a threat, but consider that Kelly himself is already extremely rapid and it has not proved a lethal attacking weapon

Clegg

Positives:

Signed Fellaini and strengthed midfield
Powell gets a decent loan
Bebe is gone again

Negatives:

Didn't sign Herrera
Made a fool of him and ourselves
IMPOSTERS
Showed a complete lack of business acumen in overpaying by £4m
Showed the world that maybe we don't have as much money as we boasted about (cheap fuck)
Tried to get Coentrao on loan (wtf he's shit)
Macheda is still here
FUCKING IMPOSTERS

Salazar

Just woke up with a really tense headache.

Did yesterday really happen?

The window closed just as I got on a train to go to uni.

I opened my iPad. I connected to goober train wifi. I refreshed twitter.

Gave serious thought to getting off the train, going home, pausing on the way to buy some icecream.

LTWheels

Liverpool-GAF:

-Removes the necessity to play Henderson. Whilst his play has deserved a place, sometimes it does seem that Liverpool have no choice, that they would be too exposed with Coutinho in the middle and another winger. With the 3 CBs his energy becomes less important
-

Playing Henderson is not a necessity, it's a luxury.

In all seriousness the problem of that formation would be the lack of pressing. Henderson helps massively in that context to turn 1 on 1s into 1 v 2. Look at how many times we won the back the ball in the last 3 games through press.

Against certain teams that formation would work. Maybe where we are so dominant in possession.

Yen

At Right Wing back? I know he's right footed but I believe his full back experience has been at Lb thus far, furthermore, as another converted CB I don't see that Ilori would be any more dangerous going forward than Kelly or Wisdom; yes one may argue that his immense pace could make him more of a threat, but consider that Kelly himself is already extremely rapid and it has not proved a lethal attacking weapon
Henderson would make a very good RWB

I'm still pretty stunned by yesterday's events. I'm beginning to have some very dark thoughts about where my football club is headed that will only be be assuaged by good results at Crystal Palace and City.

I'm still pretty stunned by yesterday's events. I'm beginning to have some very dark thoughts about where my football club is headed that will only be be assuaged by good results at Crystal Palace and City.

1 point out of 6

Giggs to play 180 minutes, Kagawa on the bench 90min
and in the stands the other 90

:( I need hugs

Salazar

Liverpool will have points off quite a few clubs this season.

Rolling over them in the cup would be decent. But you're right. League points are the elixir.

GorillaJu

Eh, United fans may be apprehensive about their position after some bad results but it was Chelsea you drew and Liverpool away at Anfield that you lost to.

City lost to Cardiff. Chelsea should have drawn with Villa.

Tough start to the season but unfortunately you'll be full steam ahead soon enough.

phaze

So we did sign up Ozil in the end huh ? Elevates our window from disastrous to okayish.

Now to catch up on 35 pages I missed...

I'm expecting Moyes to not play Januzaj in the cup game now that he will want revenge against Liverpool. Very similar to Chelsea being asspained last year over the 3-2 loss.

god damnit

PaulLFC

Next 6 league games:

jbkDlt1tuPUnCm.png

I think if we want to be in the top 4 come the end of the season we need to be getting points on the board by getting at least 15 points out of that run. Being optimistic I think we can get 18/18 if we play well enough - Swansea will probably be the most difficult, but it's winnable if we don't play badly.

Lightning

Banned
Arsenal fans should think how different things would be now had we not rallied last season to get into 4th.

Had we not produced that miracle run and Spurs got 4th. Where would be be right now? Certainly no Ozil... Don't want another season like that. Bit too close.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom