• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salazar

I know also have to come to terms with the fact that I don't think Fellaini is nearly as good as everyone else seems to think he is. I hope I'm wrong.

Players bounce off him. He can run. He can really head it. He can chest shit down other folks can't reach. He's got a fairly classy first touch. He can put players in on goal. He is a bully.

Kenwright milked us, but Fellaini is capable of being scarily good with Carrick, Rooney, Kagawa, RVP, Nani playing around him.

Gonna be lols when we next play Bilbao in anything.

PaulLFC

I now also have to come to terms with the fact that I don't think Fellaini is nearly as good as everyone else seems to think he is. I hope I'm wrong.
He's not a bad player (dirty player, but not a poor one), but whether he's good enough to play for United is another thing entirely. He's a good option to have, but the price was high. I can only assume Herrera was first choice and after Woodward tried to negotiate a non-negotiable buyout clause, you went for Fellaini but of course by then the release clause has expired and there's not much time left, so you overpaid for him. Poor business all round, but I doubt the same mistakes will be made again next transfer window.

pappe

Eh, United fans may be apprehensive about their position after some bad results but it was Chelsea you drew and Liverpool away at Anfield that you lost to.

City lost to Cardiff. Chelsea should have drawn with Villa.

Tough start to the season but unfortunately you'll be full steam ahead soon enough.

At the start of the transfer window I had said all we need is a Midfield enforcer type of a player. Scoring goals has never been a problem for us. We have been pretty weak physically in the middle which hurt us more than anything else. We have solved that problem and we should be fine to challenge for the title once again.

The really worry for me now is Moyes. Why has he just frozen out Kagawa and persisted with Giggs and Young is of major concern. Also he has started with Vidic and Ferdinand in all 3 games. I am fine with that but Evans needs to be played he is a good CB and had a great season last year and Ferdinand cant be expected to play every week.

IF Moyes plays the cards right rotates properly and plays to the strengths of our major players like Rooney, Kagawa and plays Fellaini as a proper DM we should have a good season.

Hey guys, Arsenal fan here. Happy with the Özil signing, feels so surreal. But should have signed more and earlier instead of fooling around in the summer. But great signing, now let's hope he stays fit.

Salvadora

Arsenal fans should think how different things would be now had we not rallied last season to get into 4th.

Had we not produced that miracle run and Spurs got 4th. Where would be be right now? Certainly no Ozil... Don't want another season like that. Bit too close.
OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 13h
72 - Mesut Özil has 72 goal assists in the last five seasons - more than any other player across Europe's top five leagues. Tenterhooks
OptaJoe ‏@OptaJoe 13h
RT @OptaJose: 14 – @MesutOzil1088 has the most assists in the Champions League in the last three seasons. Wizard.
With this sort of player, we won't. Giroud will get 30 goals
Hey guys, Arsenal fan here. Happy with the Özil signing, feels so surreal. But should have signed more and earlier instead of fooling around in the summer. But great signing, now let's hope he stays fit.
Welcome!

Carrick -- Fellaini

It's an interesting one. It looks a lot more solid, but there isn't bags of technique or creativity there. That means the ball will be heading out to our wings a lot more I think. Which means if our wingers don't pick up their game we're going to have a lot more games like the Liverpool one.

If anything it means the place behind the striker spot just got a lot more integral to our system. That means Shinji and Rooney are going to have to have a very good season.

Final thought is that I hope the likes of Zaha and Januzaj get more games this season because our current wingers are depressing.

I also hope that Young gets injured and retires.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Positives:
Too many. I'd give it a 4 Bacon stars out of 5.

Negatives:
We still don't have a left wingback
or a winger
or anyone who knows how to cross a fucking ball
Paolo De Ceglie stayed
Peluso still exists
Marco Motta is still alive
Who's Padoin?
We sold Full Metal Giak for NO REASON.
For the 5th(+?) straight window we failed to sign Super Gila. <3
premonition.jpg

eallafinearrivagila.jpg

Maybe one day, Marotta.

Had a dream that the imposters had scouse accents, and were sent by Ian Ayre. The fallout resulted in Liverpool being banned from signing players for two years. Why did it have to be a dream :(

At the start of the transfer window I had said all we need is a Midfield enforcer type of a player. Scoring goals has never been a problem for us. We have been pretty weak physically in the middle which hurt us more than anything else. We have solved that problem and we should be fine to challenge for the title once again.

The really worry for me now is Moyes. Why has he just frozen out Kagawa and persisted with Giggs and Young is of major concern. Also he has started with Vidic and Ferdinand in all 3 games. I am fine with that but Evans needs to be played he is a good CB and had a great season last year and Ferdinand cant be expected to play every week.

IF Moyes plays the cards right rotates properly and plays to the strengths of our major players like Rooney, Kagawa and plays Fellaini as a proper DM we should have a good season.

Evans might have been rested due to just getting fit again. He played in the last reserves game, but it wasn't really good practice as he didn't have much defending to do in that game.

rvy

Banned
Positives:
Learned to play "I can't hear you" from The Dead Weather

Negatives:
Benfica is shit
Had a nightmare that I was homeless and was sleeping on a bench in front of my ex's apartement
Benfica is still shit
PES 2014 demo is still 1 week away.
Self-doubts about where my life is going
Benfica has not changed from being shit
Fucking GTA V is only released on the 17th
Need to quit smoking

Carrick -- Fellaini

It's an interesting one. It looks a lot more solid, but there isn't bags of technique or creativity there. That means the ball will be heading out to our wings a lot more I think. Which means if our wingers don't pick up their game we're going to have a lot more games like the Liverpool one.

If anything it means the place behind the striker spot just got a lot more integral to our system. That means Shinji and Rooney are going to have to have a very good season.

Final thought is that I hope the likes of Zaha and Januzaj get more games this season because our current wingers are depressing.

I also hope that Young gets injured and retires.

Cleverley doesn't provide creativity. He's not good at protecting the back 4 either. Fellaini might allow a player like Kagawa to play more, although I don't think that will factor into player selection.

I can see Zaha getting games, but not Januzaj. Zaha has first team experience and has a more mature body.

Plus, Farid chan keeps saying that Moyes is horrible with young players. We'll see what happens.

pappe

Evans might have been rested due to just getting fit again. He played in the last reserves game, but it wasn't really good practice as he didn't have much defending to do in that game.

Oh he was injured? I was not aware.

But seriously, IS Moyes the type of a manager who will capable of change? Does he have the ability to get the best of players like Kagawa who are not as physical and more of a precision passer. So far all he has proven is that he is far too wary of making a mistake thus scared of making changes to the current system.

bjaelke

Positives:

Suarez/Agger staying
Got a better keeper in Mignolet
Reduced our wage bill
Got rid of all the dead wood (Carroll, Downing, Shelvey and Spearing).
Much needed defensive additions (Kolo, Sahko, Illori and Aly). That's actually quite a lot come to think of it.
A lot of early business conducted - no panic buys last night

Negatives:

Leaning players
Lost out on Henrikh, Costa and Willian

Mark your team's transfer window out of 10, with positives and negatives. Then give us a list of your favouritetransfer shenanigan highlights over the last couple of months

Liverpool FC

8/10

+ Centre back looking strong as fuck, with a good spread of ages, experience and ability
+ Much needed cover for LB bought in
+ Nice upgrade in keeper
+ Made moves to prevent us from relying on Sterling, and to a lesser extent, Ibe
+ Got decent enough fees for Carroll and Downing
+ Kept Suarez for the time being
+ Suso loan deal looking astute

- Could have done with a massive signing for the left wing or attacking midfield
- Still don't have sufficient cover for Lucas
- Would've liked a new second choice keeper

Highlights:

- Chelsea hijacking Willian
- Man Utd buying Fellaini for more than his initial buyout fee
- Herrera nonsense
- Kinnear stopping more transfers than he started
- Bale and Cabaye revealing their knobendness
- Ozil and Soldado joining the PL (from a neutral view)
- Benteke 24-hour u-turn
- Rodgers and Ayre slapping Suarez's shit

Those 50 pages were a joy, wish I'd been around :(

Fucking love this thread

Manager

Martin Blackburn &#8207;@SunMartinB 9h
#mcfc agreed to Barry loan as #efc said they will pay 100% of his wages for the season. 100k + per week off city wage bill @SunSportNow

David McDonnell &#8207;@DiscoMirror 10h
Gareth Barry has gone on a season-long loan from Man City to Everton, who will cover all of his wages as a condition of the deal #MCFC #EFC

If that's true, it's fantastic. Boss Txiki.

SSN (in relation to the coentrao bid not going through) "the news will be greeted with dismay by united fans"

Hahaha no. You mean joy and celebrations you shit company

2/10 transfer window, would not condone.

Player wise, a 6/10 as Fellaini actually strengthens United's midfield. Could have used another midfielder that is more creative to go along with the Afro.

0/10 on everything else. Fuck Woodward.

• Etoo, Ba and Torres will all score 30 goals each
  • John Terry will receive his knighthood
  • AVB and Di Canio will be sacked
  • Joe Kinnear will become a sentient gas cloud that looms over South Shields
  • Manchester United will still win the league
  • Niall Quinn will make me want to die

Transfer dealings 0/10. Woodward is an absolute joke who has no idea what he's doing. So many examples from this transfer window where he's just embarrassed us

Players we signed 7/10. Fellaini is a good signing and will improve the centre of midfield a lot. He's a lot better than cleverly that's for sure.

Negatives:
Woodward and the failed thiago saga
Woodward and the failed fabregas saga
Woodward paying £27.5mill for Fellaini in the last seconds of the window when he could have got him for £23mill a month earlier
Woodward and the failed Herrera bid
Woodward not making a single appearance or making a single press statement
Woodward only signing one player

Highlights:
IMPOSTERS
Liverpool players leaning
Joe kinnear
Arsenals bids for Suarez
The ensuing arguments between arsenal and Liverpool fans
Madrid signing Bale for a crazy amount
Arsenal fan meltdowns because they hadnt signed anyone
DCs shit trolling attempts
Arsenal fan holding a potato
Stoke fans on SSN
arsenal fans claiming Ozil will win them everything

Clegg

I now also have to come to terms with the fact that I don't think Fellaini is nearly as good as everyone else seems to think he is. I hope I'm wrong.

He offers good defensive cover in midfield, is strong, a decent passer and poses a threat going forward. He's a good midfielder. Certainly not world class but an improvement on Clev, Ando, Fletcher, Giggs and last seasons Scholes.

I've heard United fans say they're worried that Fellaini will slow down play too much and that we shouldn't sign him because of that. And yeah, a midfield of Fellaini and Carrick probably wouldn't offer much quick passing. But this reasoning for not signing him doesn't cut it for me. Clev doesn't offer a quick passing option. He passes sideways and backwards an awful lot and offers little in the way of attacking prowess. He's not a goal threat and he doesn't have the physical or positional awareness to be an asset in defence.

Fellaini isn't a transformative player that will solve all our problems. He does, however, have the attributes to be an asset for us.

Carbonox

Positives:

Keeping Cabaye...providing he puts in some effort now.
Signing Remy...providing he doesn't go down for rapey rapey fun time
Not selling Ben Arfa

Negatives:

Joe Kinnear is still alive
Mike Ashley is still alive
Not signing anyone else other than a 16 year old and a loanee
Cisse will still be the starting striker

He offer's good defensive cover in midfield, is strong, a decent passer and poses a threat going forward. He's a good midfielder. Certainly not world class but an improvement on Clev, Ando, Fletcher, Giggs and last seasons Scholes.

I've heard United fans say they're worried that Fellaini will slow down play too much and that we shouldn't sign him because of that. And yeah, a midfield of Fellaini and Carrick probably wouldn't offer much quick passing. But this reasoning for not signing him doesn't cut it for me. Clev doesn't offer a quick passing option. He passes sideways and backwards an awful lot and offers little in the way of attacking prowess. He's not a goal threat and he doesn't have the physical or positional awareness to be an asset in defence.

Fellaini isn't a transformative player that will solve all our problems. He does, however, have the attributes to be an asset for us.
People are forgetting the simple fact that it is impossible for our game to be slowed down even more..

I still think cleverley can play awesomely well.. playing with the right people!
Him and kagawa together would work really well I feel. Both love it through the middle.

Manager

Since Soriano's and Txiki's arrival last winter (estimates):

OUT:
Balotelli £140k a week
Bridge 80k
Kolo 100k
Tevez 160k
Santa Cruz 90k
Maicon 90k
Scott Sinclair 50k
Barry 100k
Total: 810k a week or ~40m a year

In:
Fernandinho 75k
Navas 75k
Negredo 75k
Jovetic 80k
Demichelis 20k + performance (rumoured)
Total: 325k a week

And still making the squad better.

dc89

Since Soriano's and Txiki's arrival last winter (estimates):

OUT:
Balotelli £140k a week
Bridge 80k
Kolo 100k
Tevez 160k
Santa Cruz 90k
Maicon 90k
Scott Sinclair 50k
Barry 100k
Total: 810k a week or ~40m a year

In:
Fernandinho 75k
Navas 75k
Negredo 75k
Jovetic 80k
Demichelis 20k + performance (rumoured)
Total: 325k a week

And still making the squad better.

Dem wages. Jesus wept.

Clegg

Best news I heard in weeks. Sackings please.

Investigation headed by Woodward.

Conclusions find that Greedy Spaniards stopped the Herrera deal from going through. Umited conducted themselves nobly and, in fact, should be commended for trying to drive Herrera's price down as we've took a stand against the horrible inflation of prices perpetrated by the likes of PSG, Mardid and Chelsea.

Will start with the negatives first...get the bad stuff out of the way.

- Failure to sign a WC striker
- Not enough cover for the positions we desperately need to fill (DM/CB/LW)
- TGSTEL is back.

Now for the positives...

+ OZIL, FUCK YEAH. Will add a lot more creativity to the team.
+ Sold a lot of deadwood, which boosted our wage budget.
+ Managed to keep our best players for once. This also leads me onto...
+ TGSTEL is back.

Rating: 7/10

DominoKid

People are forgetting the simple fact that it is impossible for our game to be slowed down even more..

I still think cleverley can play awesomely well.. playing with the right people!
Him and kagawa together would work really well I feel. Both love it through the middle.

i would hope so...

Fergie

Banned
Ranking of gross spending amongst 5 top leagues (Deloitte)
1.Premier 630m£
2.Liga 335m£
3.Serie A 335m£
4.Ligue 1 315m£
5.Bundesliga 230m£

Based EPL.

I'm kinda content, I'm just happy Clev isn't going to play. Motherfucker hasn't even improved once, those goals last season were just hyping us. Fooking cunt.

Really wish Kagawa, Carrick and Fellaini played together. Pls Moyes.

And :lol at our record revenue.

Salazar

Investigation headed by Woodward.

Conclusions find that Greedy Spaniards stopped the Herrera deal from going through. Umited conducted themselves nobly and, in fact, should be commended for trying to drive Herrera's price down as we've took a stand against the horrible inflation of prices perpetrated by the likes of PSG, Mardid and Chelsea.

FutBOLGAF OT: Gentlemens Finish FIfth (at best)

pappe

How much faith do you all have in Moyes?

Looking at the first 3 matches and the way he has frozen out Kagawa and persisted with Giggs and young has brought my confidence in him way low.

We have great team, but whats the point of having players like Kagawa, Zaha, Nani, Fabio when he is not even gonna play them?

Facism

Gold Member
I played a proper shit game in our 6-a-side final fixture last night.

And then i floated a chipped curled throughball that flew so perfectly, both in trajectory and speed, it landed around our foward infront of his feet and lead to a goal.

So wet. Looking forward to our trophy and league winners medals next week.

Feorax

I hve to say this sets us up well for the next couple of transfer windows.

We're sorted at CB and LB for years, as I expect one of Enrique/Cissokho to stay with Robinson comig through.

We only really need a deeper holding midfielder/Playmaker to cover Lucas and Gerrard, as we have number 10's, and box to box players in abundance.

We know Moses likely won't stay past this season, and we know Suarez is off next summer, so we have all year to get deals in place for our wide forwards for 14/15.

So 2 wide forwards, a right back and a deep midfielder and we're set.

DominoKid

Looking at the first 3 matches and the way he has frozen out Kagawa and persisted with Giggs and young has brought my confidence in him way low.

We have great team, but whats the point of having players like Kagawa, Zaha, Nani, Fabio when he is not even gonna play them?

I didn't have much to begin with because I never thought he was the right man for the job.

But it's not like Woodward has done him any favors. The schedule doesn't help either.

I did expect fresher ideas though...

I'm not upset about the results.. they weren't the easiest of games and heck, we could've easily gotten more out of them.

However, the playing of giggs is just ridiculous. Young.. well nani was injured I guess so why not. But no kagawa at all? Even if he isn't fully matchfit, how you expect him to be if he doesn't even get subbed on..

I thought giggs being coach would actually limit his playing time.. but I guess we all know who is in charge of team selection come matchday v_v

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom