• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

fuenf

I just love all the "Oh well Ozil isn't that good, and he's kind of shit actually. He can't win you every single game and he can be lazy. You also don't have Ronaldo on your team, so who's he going to pass it to score for you?" I mean for fucks sake. Why don't we reserve judgments and watch him play for Arsenal first.

I'm just saying that the transfer could go either way, but that's the case with basically every transfer. I'd say the same thing about Özil if Bayern had bought him, you can check up my posting history if you want to I've always been on the fence about him. I'm not saying that he'll be crap at Arsenal, I'm only stating that his Real Madrid stats are a little bit inflated because of Ronaldo. You can say the same thing the other way around about Ronaldo, but like I said they were a match made in heaven.

I just find it ridiculous to compare Özil to someone like Fabregas, who is a far more complete player. The only other player Özil even remotely compares to is Zidane, which is great. But be it Götze / Kagawa or Özil having a genius CAM is a luxury these day, yes it can be magical and lift your team to the next level but the team must know how to use him and play to his strengths.

Actually I'd be far more negative about Özil if Bayern had gotten him. ;)

But yeah, it's an amazing transfer for Arsenal and he'll be a joy to watch.

BIT01WlCMAADun0.png:large

dc89

Rafael Hernández ‏@RafaelH117 3s

Sergio Ramos is absolutely gutted his best friend Özil left Real Madrid, heavily implied today he was forced to leave. #AFC

---

Madrid need Pulga right now. He is their PR machine.

spidye

He got a whole lot of young players to overperform enough to win CL with Porto. In Chelsea obviously Roman bought some players that Mou didn't even ask for, with the at times crazy spendings and the amount of players he had at his disposal it made sense for him to just always play the best.

But hell, he made a 21 year old Cech first team keeper, do I have to post CL gifs for you to remember how well that turned out? and that was at a time where Cudicini was still seen as a top keeper and had even been player of the year a few years before. Not to mention a 21 year old Joe Cole who never got to perform as well ever again as under Mourinho and 20 year old Robben. You could say he made Mikel a worse player by getting him to be a more defensive player though, although his amazing attacking abilities were never even tested on the big stage, he was 17 when Mou really wanted him though and kept using him together with a very young Kalou too, who he also got to perform fairly well considering how shit he in reality is.

Inter was just an old ass clubs full of old ass players. Madrid has also had quite a few young players play very well for them since his arrival, although also suffering a bit of too much money to spend syndrome like Chelsea.

well players like Arnautovic and Balo certainly didn't improve with him as the manager.
Özil and Khedira haven't made any progress as football players in the last 3 years whatsoever.

admittedly, I don't know much about his chelsea years since I was a child at that time and didn't follow BPL but I can't name a young player who made the jump to world class at Inter or Real.

but for the first time he has a lot of young players. let's see if Schürlle/ Hazard/ Oscar can develop into a better player

Manager

Bendtner has released a statement:

If he's focused and ready to work, I have no issue with him being our backup. Always thought he was a good player when he wasn't being a cunt.

I get flashbacks from all the Tevez statements.

Not really. I'd say we actually got very good deals on everyone we signed. Ferna was £12.5m less than his release clause which is almost unheard of for a Shakhtar player -- £30m was probably a lot to spend on someone his age, but his UCL experience and ability was something we really needed. Navas was cheaper than expected as was Jovetic (didn't pay the entire release clause up front, heavily incentivized about 20% of it). Negredo was a pretty fair price given his success in Spain. He's younger than Soldado and at least thus far, looks better and cost less.

Dimechelis was maybe £1m more than we'd have liked to spend, but honestly, his fee was pretty much negligible to a big club.

Bluemoon has already agreed that Fernandinho isn't even worth £10m, that Navas doesn't add more to the game than Milner and that Pellegrini is way too naive and have no idea what the PL is about. Half of the forum is practically screaming for Mancini. Also, Yaya is lazy and can't play in a 2 man midfield, he must have Barry covering up.

None of the signings have really set the league on fire yet though, real talk. Navas hasn't really utilized his speed much, looks very similar to Confederations cup where defenders just went really deep against him and he was forced to pass backwards. Fernandinho has had issues with the pace of the game, lost the ball in poor positions. Still, only three games in, but people are getting frustrated already. I guess they expect more instant sparks from £50m.

I'm having hopes on Fernandinho, he looks really promising. Just not sure who of him and Yaya is ready to take more defensive responsibilities against top-6 teams.

Wasn't he odds on to move to some team in the Prem this window at one point? Swansea or something maybe? Obviously that didn't happen.. pretty boring Deadline Day all things considered. Very few notable moves.

Don't think so.

He's now an important man in Valencia. His last season was great.

Yeah right... especially many players from Dortmund, right? We saw what happened against Switzerland ;) Özil has to play in the squad. There is no other, not even Kroos that could play the 10.

With time off/match off I meant not doing anything while actually being on the pitch.

And blaming BVB players for a shitty national team match? lol
I'll never forget how Zlatan fucked up that 4-0 lead, do you remember from which club 7 of that 11 players were?

well players like Arnautovic and Balo certainly didn't improve with him as the manager.
Blaming someone for Arnautovic is very mean. Nobody can save that one, proper tool.

And Balotelli? Well, he either needed to age or a club where everyone is like "Typical Mario hahaha" and instantly forgets about every shit he does. But it has been awfully quiet on the Balotelli front, so I guess he really matured? Like a bit?

I still can't believe United shopped Cleverley's face onto Chicha's body. Whose bright idea was that? Chicharito is easily more popular.

Meier

Bluemoon has already agreed that Fernandinho isn't even worth £10m, that Navas doesn't add more to the game than Milner and that Pellegrini is way too naive and have no idea what the PL is about. Half of the forum is practically screaming for Mancini. Also, Yaya is lazy and can't play in a 2 man midfield, he must have Barry covering up.

None of the signings have really set the league on fire yet though, real talk. Navas hasn't really utilized his speed much, looks very similar to Confederations cup where defenders just went really deep against him and he was forced to pass backwards. Fernandinho has had issues with the pace of the game, lost the ball in poor positions. Still, only three games in, but people are getting frustrated already. I guess they expect more instant sparks from £50m.

I'm having hopes on Fernandinho, he looks really promising. Just not sure who of him and Yaya is ready to take more defensive responsibilities against top-6 teams.
I don't ever go there. I paid for a subscription to an FSU site (my college) for years and posted on the boards quite a bit but I hated how insular it was. Anyone with a different opinion was attacked. No thanks, I just skip team specific places now.

Navas looked great against Newcastle but hasn't been able to really get going in the other two games. It's a process - he and Zaba have to gel clearly. I did like that he was roaming a bit more freely in the Hull game. That could help.

Ferna was a bit of the same (great against NUFC and slightly less so in the other two games) but I think he improved after the yellow against Hull. I was happy he finally took a shot too. He was well off target, but we need him to give it a go when the opportunity presents itself on offense. His long range passing ability is very evident though and I think he's going to shine.

Very true about the defensive requirements with him and Yaya and balancing that out. That is something that will come with playing together longer and more coaching.

Özil and Khedira haven't made any progress as football players in the last 3 years whatsoever.

admittedly, I don't know much about his chelsea years since I was a child at that time and didn't follow BPL but I can't name a young player who made the jump to world class at Inter or Real.

but for the first time he has a lot of young players. let's see if Schürlle/ Hazard/ Oscar can develop into a better player

Arnautovic is now a fucking Stoke player now, at 24 when he's supposed to be nearing his prime . No wonder a young version of him didn't make it into a Champions league winning side. Balotelli was being a giant baby and had so many different things factor into it, both the fans turning on him and himself having the mentality of a 10 year old.

Inter squad was full of old ass men. At Real most things just went wrong for him, although he did start with Varane quite a bit in the last season who looks to at least become world class sooner or later, he certainly looked fantastic under him there. Also seeing as he has rarely been a manager of a team for a long period of time, it's only natural for him not to have seen quite a few of his players go from youngsters to world class. But rather youngster to good.

faridmon

Can anyone help? I can't remember the name of this movie and seeing you guys are movie lovers, I though about asking here:

The movie was released 2 or 3 years ago and it was done in Mockumentary style. It was about group of boys who acquire superpowers and play around with around town, pranking people and so on and so fourth, until something bad happens.

Can you guys remember the name of the movie?

Can anyone help? I can't remember the name of this movie and seeing you guys are movie lovers, I though about asking here:

The movie was released 2 or 3 years ago and it was done in Mockumentary style. It was about group of boys who acquire superpowers and play around with around town, pranking people and so on and so fourth, until something bad happens.

Chronicle?

Chronicle?

Meier

Pokemon Direct tomorrow. Think they'll announce the LE systems then. My wife has never played the series and usually isn't interested but I think I convinced her to try the upcoming version if I buy the copy for her. She said the Y logo is too masculine for her so I might be stuck with that one, haha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom