• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Btw Arnold sorry to be a dick but my genuine vote is for Studge.

Giroud is doing better these days but he's still Giroud. Never gonna win a match with a moment of magic.

Barzul

That would be funnier than resigning flamini. The Demba Ba deal would've been the perfect stop gap.

Maybe we will snap up El Sharwaay next summer.
Nah Arsenal's next striker is Benteke, if he scores 14-16 by Jan we're signing him. I'm certain Wenger wants him but unsure if he is a fluke or not.

Btw Arnold sorry to be a dick but my genuine vote is for Studge.

Giroud is doing better these days but he's still Giroud. Never gonna win a match with a moment of magic.

That Spurs finish was magical enough, if Van persie had scored it so deftly you'd still be wiping spunk from the ceiling

Mastadon

Banned
That would be funnier than resigning flamini. The Demba Ba deal would've been the perfect stop gap.

Maybe we will snap up El Sharwaay next summer.

So do you (and other Arsenal fans for the matter) think that Ozil represents a shift in Wenger's transfer policy, and you'll see other big name stars come in for big money in future windows? Or was it a move to appease to growing disquiet from fans, and Wenger will go back to his old ways now the pressure has been removed?

That Spurs finish was magical enough, if Van persie had scored it so deftly you'd still be wiping spunk from the ceiling
It was a very nice goal.

But I don't think it was that special. Anyhow my general point is I don't think Giroud is or has the potential to be a match winning player. Yes, it may happen every once in a while but it would be an exception to the rule, IMO.

ShogunX

I disagree, when Sturridge scores 20+ goals in a season you can maybe make that statement. If we had Sturridge right now, he'd be a sub for Giroud, no doubt about it.

Giroud's numbers the last 2 seasons

2012-2013: 17 goals 11 assists

2011-2012: 25 goals 9 assists

Sturridge has nowhere no those numbers and if you bring up him being a sub at Chelsea, if he was that great when he was there, he'd have been starting. Sturridge has incredible potential, but he isn't quite there yet and you know once Suarez is back and fit (physically and mentally), unless Lpool go with a 2 striker system, Suarez is taking that main striker spot.

2011-2012 is pretty irrelevant to this discussion as I'm positive Sturridge would score a shed load in France. Looking at the league last season - Giroud scored 11 from 34 matches with 4 assists, Sturridge scored 10 from 14 matches with 5 assists.

In my opinion Sturridge is the more dangerous forward.

Arnie

RETRACTION KLAXON + another honest vote + Shogun swings his blade

Sturridge: 15

Giroud: 7

We've reached the singularity by passing a 100% lead.

Would take an army of French Fanciers to save Mr Marston from (further) embarrassment.

Dibbz

Sturridge: 12

Giroud: 8

Not going to refer to Vulva as a neutral.

daniel-sturridge-image-lfc-1726150029.jpg

giroud_rainlisx7.jpg

Hmm tough one

jtb

Banned
Giroud will score 20 goals in the league this season, at minimum.

So do you (and other Arsenal fans for the matter) think that Ozil represents a shift in Wenger's transfer policy, and you'll see other big name stars come in for big money in future windows? Or was it a move to appease to growing disquiet from fans, and Wenger will go back to his old ways now the pressure has been removed?

Before, the money wasn't there. Now, with the new TV deal + sponsorships, etc., it is. I don't think it's a one-off, just because he was also chasing Suarez and Higuain earlier in the summer—but I'm still very wary about his ability to actually finish these deals. I mean, we've chased players like Reina, Alonso, Mata, etc. in the past, so chasing these types of bigger fee-players isn't unheard of, just actually following through on the interest and actually getting them.

Barzul

Imo it's the start of a revolution as it signifies Arsenal's relevance. Signing a player like this helps you attract similar players as they'll want to play with the best. I'm hoping Wenger goes for Pogba again next summer, perfect Arteta replacement.

Imo it's the start of a revolution as it signifies Arsenal's relevance. Signing a player like this helps you attract similar players as they'll want to play with the best. I'm hoping Wenger goes for Pogba again next summer, perfect Arteta replacement.
Don't think Pogba will want to play in the Europa League mate.

doicare

Come on guys, lets stop with all the fighting. Can't we all just agree that Sturridge and Giroud are equally shit and Welbeck is better?

Baki

I don't think Wenger will throw around £40m like nothing but I do see a shift to a transfer policy where Wenger will opt for perhaps one big money signing to add that extra bit of magic to the squad. I don't expect for Wenger to go back to multiple £7-12m signings.

As to why they did this. Fan discontent is one. Bit it's also about the players. They need to win to keep top talent and I think they are realising that 4th place just isn't enough anymore. I also think , Wenger is a stubborn man that has only accepted that the market isn't whet it used to be, pre-abromovich.

Nah Arsenal's next striker is Benteke, if he scores 14-16 by Jan we're signing him. I'm certain Wenger wants him but unsure if he is a fluke or not.

That's a £20m signing for what could be a stop gap. I see Wenger preferring to wait till summer to see the other options in the market.

Arnie

Sturridge: 16

Would take a minor miracle for Giroud not to be immortalised as Sturridge's objective inferior.

This is science.

EDIT: Fuck, another sane neutral brain.

Sturridge: 17

jtb

Banned
There is no way we're moving for Benteke, or any striker, in January. We'd have to pay 30m, minimum. I don't like moving for strikers in January anyways, there are countless examples of how great that usually ends up.

Salvadora

There is no way we're moving for Benteke, or any striker, in January. We'd have to pay 30m, minimum. I don't like moving for strikers in January anyways, there are countless examples of how great that usually ends up.
I definitely don't think we will move for Benteke in January (that is madness), but I do think there is a chance of picking one up.

It all depends on how the season goes. Injury could force us into the market, look at how Monreal went for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom