• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
I definitely don't think we will move for Benteke in January (that is madness), but I do think there is a chance of picking one up.

It all depends on how the season goes. Injury could force us into the market, look at how Monreal went for example.

This is true. That deal really came out of nowhere, probably more surprising than the Ozil transfer.
okay not quite
but still it was pretty surprising for Wenger to acknowledge a deficiency in the squad, in the defense, no less, like that so quickly and w/o the haggling bullshit either.

Arnie

CASE CLOSED

Final Score:

Sturridge: 20

Giroud: 8

In the unarguable words of science Sturridge is 60% better than Giroud.

Six Arsenal fans have also categorically proven just how detached from reality they really are. Something we kind of knew existed, but had yet to properly see (like a black hole).

Haha.
No.

Salvadora

This is true. That deal really came out of nowhere, probably more surprising than the Ozil transfer.
okay not quite
but still it was pretty surprising for Wenger to acknowledge a deficiency in the squad, in the defense, no less, like that so quickly and w/o the haggling bullshit either.
You won't be surprised to hear that the Monreal deal was meant to be done this summer then :p

Meier

Omg there's a Nandos in D.C. and we are so going

Hahaha yes! There are actually like 6 of them. When I went to visit DC for work back in January, I ended up walking like 2 or 3 miles to get to one and it was worth it. I was a little sad though because there was a Shake Shack like right next door and I've heard their burgers are to die for but oh well. It's the only city with Nando's in the US so I had to go!

nemesun

I'm absolutely buzzing here. Had that after sex world-class signing glow all day. Fuck this interllul for keeping me away from proper football.

Arnie

For the new page, we must respect science.

CASE CLOSED

Final Score:

Six Arsenal fans have also categorically proven just how detached from reality they really are. Something we kind of knew existed, but had yet to properly see (like a black hole).

Haha.
No.

Barzul

Tempted to dock a fucking point.

It's like teaching a puppy not bury its food and eat it.

In the long run it's for the best.
When was the last time Arsenal signed a player of this magnitude? A genuine World Class player, not building one up. It hasn't been since Dennis Bergkamp. If this does not signify a shift in the boards policy, I don't know what else will. This is also coinciding with the expiration of the commercial contracts we were locked into at the start of the Emirates stadiums construction. We have a new record Shirt deal with Puma, much improved sponsorship deal with The Emirates and are signing new commercial partners regularly (still nowhere near Man Utd in this regard). With the Emirates stadium and one of the highest matchday revenues in Europe and our improved commercial capabilities. It is not absurd to state that Arsenal are in the ascendancy. I was worried that Arsene Wenger could not be the man to lead us into this era of increased financial relevance, but if he could be convinced to smash our club record signing fee and by so much, those worries are being allayed. I am not making baseless claims here Arsenal have the biggest cash reserves of any Premier League club and we seem to be finally putting that to use. How many clubs could have paid 50 million euros for Ozil without the backing of club owners? Not many.

Clegg

Think Fellaini will have to play against Palace if we want to have him ready for City. Not an ideal situation tbh.

Looking forward to seeing him in our shirt though.

ShogunX

CASE CLOSED

Final Score:

sturridge.gif

Barzul

CASE CLOSED

Final Score:

Yeah opinions of GAF are the barometer we use to judge a strikers ability, and yes I'll eat crow if at the end of the season Sturridge ends up with more goals than Giroud (barring significant injury, of course).

When was the last time Arsenal signed a player of this magnitude? A genuine World Class player, not building one up. It hasn't been since Dennis Bergkamp. If this does not signify a shift in the boards policy, I don't know what else will. This is also coinciding with the expiration of the commercial contracts we were locked into at the start of the Emirates stadiums construction. We have a new record Shirt deal with Puma, much improved sponsorship deal with The Emirates and are signing new commercial partners regularly (still nowhere near Man Utd in this regard). With the Emirates stadium and one of the highest matchday revenues in Europe and our improved commercial capabilities. It is not absurd to state that Arsenal are in the ascendancy. I was worried that Arsene Wenger could not be the man to lead us into this era of increased financial relevance, but if he could be convinced to smash our club record signing fee and by so much, those worries are being allayed. I am not making baseless claims here Arsenal have the biggest cash reserves of any Premier League club and we seem to be finally putting that to use. How many clubs could have paid 50 million euros for Ozil without the backing of club owners? Not many.

It's not only about having the money, it's also about the players wanting to join.

Wenger was willing to pay 30m+ for other players (Götze, Mata, etc.) but they didn't want a move to Arsenal. You have to finally win some shit or at least get 3rd place to get more awesome players.

Dibbz

RVP is a lethal finisher. Not so sure about Suarez. Actually I know Suarez is a really good player, but I'm not sure if he's a really good striker. I hold out hope for a Benzema move next summer.

Suarez comes with so much baggage. He's a ticking time bomb. If he wasn't a racist cannibal cunt I'm sure more teams would have been in for him.

WJD

Hahaha yes! There are actually like 6 of them. When I went to visit DC for work back in January, I ended up walking like 2 or 3 miles to get to one and it was worth it. I was a little sad though because there was a Shake Shack like right next door and I've heard their burgers are to die for but oh well. It's the only city with Nando's in the US so I had to go!

It's got me so excited. Looks pretty cheap too!

Arnie

All nice, valid points that still do not add up to justify the term 'revolution'.

Adding a single world class player to your squad on deadline day does not constitute a revolution.
God, how I'll get mileage out of this.

jtb

Banned
What wages is Kolo on? The Flamini reunion makes me think we probably should've moved for him; decent 4th choice defender.

Salvadora

It's not only about having the money, it's also about the players wanting to join.

Wenger was willing to pay 30m+ for other players (Götze, Mata, etc.) but they didn't want a move to Arsenal. You have to finally win some shit or at least get 3rd place to get more awesome players.
Come on Milch, again?

Mata had no problems moving to Arsenal, but Wenger wouldn't pay the extra million to activate his buy-out.

Clegg

I assume Carrick-Fellaini will now be United's starting midfield for all our big games. Not a bad midfield by any means. Still lacking in creativity though. But right now I'm a hell of a lot happier than I would be if we had to continue on with Carrick-Cleverley.

Arnie

Yeah opinions of GAF are the barometer we use to judge a strikers ability, and yes I'll eat crow if at the end of the season Sturridge ends up with more goals than Giroud (barring significant injury, of course).

You're again absolutely correct in your observation, but adrift in your conclusion.

Opinions on GAF are wild, unreliable things, and mostly because people have a whole host of passions and prejudices that preclude them from closing in on the truth. Kyoufu would jump in front of a bus for Sony, for example. His opinion on gaming is about as useful as a carrot in a skydive.

So if we extrapolate from this that we too, as football fans, have our own biases we need to analyse the data more closely before working on a conclusion.

6 of the 8 who voted for Giroud were Arsenal fans, which makes 75%.

On the other hand only 8 of the 20 people who voted for Sturridge were Liverpool fans, which makes the majority of his supporters in this instance absolutely more reliable.

Whilst the vote appeared a landslide at first, with a little nudge from you it now appears even more concrete.

United summer target!
1 Get rid Rooney ✖
2 Thigh gap for Anderson ✖
3 Sun tan for Moyes ✖
4 Beg Klopp for instruction manual of Kagawa ✖

Always makes me laugh

Ingeniero

I like you.

Barzul

We did finish 3rd place season before last and finished 1 point away from third last season. Ozil's signing-and this is my opinion of course, adds at least 10 points alone. We had 10 draws last season, that's abysmal for a team that wants to compete and highlighted our offensive weaknesses. But this team is a year older and more mature. We're already seeing the effect in the likes of Ramsey. Arsenal could never compete financially with the Petro-dollar clubs because of poor commercial deals which are expiring and being replaced improved ones e.g we're going from earning from something like 25 million pounds per year on our shirt deal to 150 million pounds. All we need is a manager willing to take us there. Not 100% if Wenger is that man but we'll see. We obviously have to win trophies, but this team is a lot closer to achieving that than the one from say 2 seasons ago. Arsenal have lot going for us, located in London, state of the art stadium, experienced manager. We've just lacked the commercial ability to compete and have had a lethargic board. Looks like that's changing, I want to believe it is.

jtb

Banned
I dunno if Ozil will add 10 points, but I think Ozil + Flamini does cover quite a few of our deficiencies. It's a solid foundation to keep building from. 10 points is probably asking a bit too much, everyone else has strengthened also—significantly so, in the case of Spurs, City, arguably Chelsea (the Mou factor). The main thing to take from this, I think, is just that this is the first summer in years that we haven't sold off our best player AND we've brought in a top player. It's a start. We've finally replaced Cesc adequately. Maybe we'll win the league cup this season.

Anyways, we won't necessarily need to add 10 points because I can't see any one team running away with the league this season. Maybe City, but they've looked a little shaky so far.

omgkitty

I think Arsenal should buy back Carlos Vela now that he figured out where the goal is. I haven't watched him, but does he still only score chip shots?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom