• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baki

We did finish 3rd place season before last and finished 1 point away from third last season. Ozil's signing-and this is my opinion of course, adds at least 10 points alone. We had 10 draws last season, that's abysmal for a team that wants to compete and highlighted our offensive weaknesses. But this team is a year older and more mature. We're already seeing the effect in the likes of Ramsey. Arsenal could never compete financially with the Petro-dollar clubs because of poor commercial deals which are expiring and being replaced improved ones e.g we're going from earning from something like 25 million pounds per year on our shirt deal to 150 million pounds. All we need is a manager willing to take us there. Not 100% if Wenger is that man but we'll see. We obviously have to win trophies, but this team is a lot closer to achieving that than the one from say 2 seasons ago. Arsenal have lot going for us, located in London, state of the art stadium, experienced manager. We've just lacked the commercial ability to compete and have had a lethargic board. Looks like that's changing, I want to believe it is.

I want to believe! I hope we win something this season. Maybe even get to the finals of the champions league. #believe

I dunno if Ozil will add 10 points, but I think Ozil + Flamini does cover quite a few of our deficiencies. It's a solid foundation to keep building from. 10 points is probably asking a bit too much, everyone else has strengthened also—significantly so, in the case of Spurs, City, arguably Chelsea (the Mou factor). The main thing to take from this, I think, is just that this is the first summer in years that we haven't sold off our best player AND we've brought in a top player. It's a start. We've finally replaced Cesc adequately. Maybe we'll win the league cup this season.

I'd argue that City is only as strong as its squad two seasons ago. They have changed but not nevcessarily improved. They sold ballotelli and tevez and replaced them with inferior strikers.

Chelsea squad is also different but not necessarily much better. I give them the Nou factor though.

Spurs and Liverpool are the only clearly improved squads.

Barzul

All nice, valid points that still do not add up to justify the term 'revolution'.

Adding a single world class player to your squad on deadline day does not constitute a revolution.
Maybe. But which other word conveys a significant change in the policy and outlook of the club?

little lahm :D

jK7Hoef.jpg
I miss Gomez, classiest Bayern player ever.

We did finish 3rd place season before last and finished 1 point away from third last season. Ozil's signing-and this is my opinion of course, adds at least 10 points alone. We had 10 draws last season, that's abysmal for a team that wants to compete and highlighted our offensive weaknesses. But this team is a year older and more mature. We're already seeing the effect in the likes of Ramsey. Arsenal could never compete financially with the Petro-dollar clubs because of poor commercial deals which are expiring and being replaced improved ones e.g we're going from earning from something like 25 million pounds per year on our shirt deal to 150 million pounds. All we need is a manager willing to take us there. Not 100% if Wenger is that man but we'll see. We obviously have to win trophies, but this team is a lot closer to achieving that than the one from say 2 seasons ago. Arsenal have lot going for us, located in London, state of the art stadium, experienced manager. We've just lacked the commercial ability to compete and have had a lethargic board. Looks like that's changing, I want to believe it is.

Well, we'll see. I think most Arsenal fans are on a high at the moment because of Özil and I guess rightfully so. But I don't really see the Özil transfer changing all that much.

Nah Arsenal's next striker is Benteke, if he scores 14-16 by Jan we're signing him. I'm certain Wenger wants him but unsure if he is a fluke or not.

There's no way. Arsene wants someone pacy and/or creative up top as a foil for Giroud.

Speaking of. Giroud scored some amazing goals in Ligue 1. Long shots, a chest->overhead kick, etc. Dominated Sakho on more than one occasion (a brace in one match, assists in another) too, back when he was still highly regarded by his club. Whether he can replicate that here is another matter, but he's confident at the moment.

Sturridge is the more gifted player (his inherent flashiness kind of skews that abit though), but Giroud has been capable of magic in his own right. The first time PSG tried to buy the league, don't forget it was his goals that helped beat them to the title.

Salvadora

I dunno if Ozil will add 10 points, but I think Ozil + Flamini does cover quite a few of our deficiencies. It's a solid foundation to keep building from. 10 points is probably asking a bit too much, everyone else has strengthened also—significantly so, in the case of Spurs, City, arguably Chelsea (the Mou factor). The main thing to take from this, I think, is just that this is the first summer in years that we haven't sold off our best player AND we've brought in a top player. It's a start. We've finally replaced Cesc adequately. Maybe we'll win the league cup this season.
I want to see the fire and passion that was in every Arsenal player against Spurs in the cup competitions. We need this off our backs.

If we go out to a club like Bradford or Blackburn again.....

Barzul

Anyways, we won't necessarily need to add 10 points because I can't see any one team running away with the league this season. Maybe City, but they've looked a little shaky so far.
Bale won Spurs 26 points last season, I'm still unsure all their signings replaced that, but Lamela might surprise me. Anyways I agree that there doesn't look to be a runaway winner this season, no team has looked that good. I still scared of what Eto'o brings for Chelsea, God I hope he's nowhere near the player he was at Inter or Barca.

Barzul

There's no way. Arsene wants someone pacy and/or creative up top as a foil for Giroud.

Speaking of. Giroud scored some amazing goals in Ligue 1. Long shots, a chest->overhead kick, etc. Dominated Sakho on more than one occasion (a brace in one match, assists in another) too, back when he was still highly regarded by his club. Whether he can replicate that here is another matter, but he's confident at the moment.

Sturridge is the more gifted player (his inherent flashiness kind of skews that abit though), but Giroud has been capable of magic in his own right. The first time PSG tried to buy the league, don't forget it was his goals that helped beat them to the title.
Those flicks, Giroud can pull off some beautiful stuff. Hoping the one year adjustment period did him good.

PaulLFC

We buy Ozil and we still get a wave of negativity???? Fuck you guys....

And Milch continues to talk out of his ass.
You bought a fantastic player but in arguably one of the positions that least needed strengthening. If Giroud gets injured at any point during the season, who's going to finish off the chances Ozil creates - Sanogo? He may well do, but he's hardly a proven goalscorer.

Mikro

Neo Member
I'll just take this as an excuse to post a screengrab of a video of Giroud that I managed to take last year. Was pretty close to the the team when they came over.
nBniVdp.png

Woof!! It'll be interesting to see how many he scores this year with Ozil, Cazorla and Walcott providing him with chances aplenty I hope. Think the pressure of constantly being reminded you were Van Persie's replacement might have played a part last year.

jtb

Banned
I want to see the fire and passion that was in every Arsenal player against Spurs in the cup competitions. We need this off our backs.

If we go out to a club like Bradford or Blackburn again.....

I'm fine with going out to Bradford, but we should have played the youngsters. We have so many talented young players anyways, playing our first team fringe players only guarantees that we have the least motivated players, least fit players (usually mixed in with a couple of first teamers who are already ridiculously overplayed) on the pitch, which is a surefire recipe for disaster. I think we only played the youngsters in the very first league cup match last season, choosing to try and coax some form out of Arshavin and Chamakh with the rest—a completely lost cause, imo.

I'm eager to see more of Zelalem. He looked like a real talent in pre-season, and Ozil coming in can hopefully help his game even more.

Lightning

Banned
You bought a fantastic player but in arguably one of the positions that least needed strengthening. If Giroud gets injured at any point during the season, who's going to finish off the chances Ozil creates - Sanogo? He may well do, but he's hardly a proven goalscorer.
We covered DM with Flamini, we still have confidence in Szczesny aside from the Villa game has been very solid but needs competition. Striker we tried, we were not able to get the quality of player required but there will be other windows.

Bendtner in his last year of contract so a striker will have to come. If Wenger follows his model of quality instead of quantity we're fine. We still have heaps of money, no dead wood draining us. I can't see the reason for the negativity when we're in a much better position now than we were at the start of the window.

jtb

Banned
also Giroud's average season last season was partially because Wenger showed so little faith in him. it felt like he was trying to do whatever he could to prevent him from finding any form in the first half of the season; first it was the Gervinho experiment, then it was time to renew Theo's contract, etc.

I think/hope that without all those distractions, Giroud can have a good season. He's already hit the ground running.

Nah we needed a creative midfielder badly, we were too reliant on Cazorla who isn't the most consistent player in the world. We still need a Striker though.

Barzul

Samuel ‏@samuelj29060 14m
José Mourinho: "I stopped Ba loan move to Arsenal - with Ozil too, the best no.10 in the world, they'd have been title contenders." #AFC

Apparently Mourinho said this to Sky Italia

jordisok

I can never tell when people are being serious in this thread or its just banter (ergh I feel like tim lovejoy). This goes for me and the internet as a whole though lol

omgkitty

We all keep talking about Giroud but I think the big winner here is Walcott. With his pace to get in behind the defense, if he can get along quickly with Ozil, I think we'll see more goals from him.

Meier

Sheffield United has been bought (well at least for 50%) by some oil prince

Ahaha, that's fitting. I have been playing as Sheffield United in my FM save this year after getting to 2023 with Porto (plus winning the Euros and World Cup as the England manager at the same time).

We buy Ozil and we still get a wave of negativity???? Fuck you guys....

And Milch continues to talk out of his ass.

lol should I change my opinion just to please Arsenal fans?

You should watch out what happens with your ass when we come to London in October.

José Mourinho: "I stopped Ba loan move to Arsenal - with Ozil too, the best no.10 in the world, they'd have been title contenders." #AFC

Sounds legit.

Salvadora

I wouldn't have so much of a problem with Wengers 'quality over quantity' policy if I had any faith in our players fitness.
also Giroud's average season last season was partially because Wenger showed so little faith in him. it felt like he was trying to do whatever he could to prevent him from finding any form in the first half of the season; first it was the Gervinho experiment, then it was time to renew Theo's contract, etc.

I think/hope that without all those distractions, Giroud can have a good season. He's already hit the ground running.
You know, I almost forgot about that.

That was some debacle. Giroud seems like the sort of player to thrive on confidence. He posts pictures of himself after every game, and stuff like that. He's proper into himself, but he is excused for being a French God.
lol should I change my opinion just to please Arsenal fans?

You should watch out what happens with your ass when we come to London in October.

Sounds legit.
Your opinion is your opinion, but you've been throwing out absolutely baseless stuff since we got you in our group (or before).

jtb

Banned
We all keep talking about Giroud but I think the big winner here is Walcott. With his pace to get in behind the defense, if he can get along quickly with Ozil, I think we'll see more goals from him.

I agree. His production has been really impressive the past two seasons and Ozil flanked by two of Podolski/Cazorla/Theo, all competent finishers, should help spread the goals around. Wouldn't be surprised if we had four players on 10 goals at the end of the season.

Lightning

Banned

Getting Ba on loan over Bendtner would have been ideal but not critical. Only a factor if Giroud gets injured since Ba is not world class and would only be back up anyway.

In fact he's been average himself when I've seen him play. Ozil is the key, unbelievable wonderful signing.

I can never tell when people are being serious in this thread or its just banter (ergh I feel like tim lovejoy). This goes for me and the internet as a whole though lol

it's 100% serious, brother.

here's a list of people you can AND should abuse:

Arsenal - 90TilInfinity, Anderson, Baconsaurus, Boozeroony, colonisation, DangerousMali, DOBERMAN INC, Dibbz, Freewheelin', Ghouse, Ingeniero, Jason Raize '75 - '04, Judderman, Kweh, Lightning, omgkitty, pix, Plasma, Salvadora, Az, bud, the walrus, Burgess_101, Suen, Ribbed Hero, phaze, Starish, GHG, Akros, Juz, Mr.Marston

Man Utd - Ashes1396, BLSwagger10, blurrygil, Brinbe, Cyport, Desmond, doicare, DominoKid, Dynoro, elfinke, Fëanor, Grover Cleveland, Jburton, K1LLER7, kharma45, KidA Seven, LabouredSubterfuge, LanceVance, magnificent83, MrPing1000, pappe, pslayer666, Requiem, Salazar, Slizz, Snaku, Stubo, Soi-Fong, The Friendly Monster, Tim the Wiz, Tunic, UFCLOL, Vivalaraza, Wilbury (this motherfucker got a huge ass), WJD, yella, deGod, shortyme, Sleeplessnights, Kikarian, scently, brokenbeans, thaOwner, Mr Cola, Clegg (Don't approach during transfer market period), noal, Naughty God

jtb

Banned
Getting Ba ob loan over Bendtner would have been ideal but not critical. Only a factor if Giroud gets injured since Ba is not world class and would only be back up anyway.

In fact he's been average himself when I've seen him play. Ozil is the key, unbelievable wonderful signing.

I rate Ba. Chelsea is just a place where strikers go to die, Ba looked a proper striker at Newcastle. Frankly, we should've bought him last summer/last January—7m for any proven finisher is a bargain imo

Hahaha wow. Bobby Mimms calling John Faxe Jensen asking if he would make a comeback as "a second" for Oldham, Jensen assumes it would be as an assistant and talks a bit with him, even discussing wages, until Bobby Mimms mentions good bonuses for whenever he gets on the pitch. Jensen a bit puzzles asks what the hell he is talking about and Bobby Mimms tells him he wants him to do a comeback as a reserve keeper.

Jensen tells him he is 48 years old and not a damn keeper... Only then does Bobby Mimms realize he is calling the wrong Jensen, was meant to call Brian the beast Jensen. :lol

Tanc gets all his info from Sky Italia. Just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom