• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

I'll be honest I've never seen Arsenal win a trophy. The first match of theirs I ever saw was the 2-1 loss to Barca in the 2006 CL final on a VHS tape because I was in HS and had to record it.

Some of you just don't want to see Arsenal succeed amiright?

Arsenal fans in here don't make it easy though, nice to be optimistic but lets try and keep calm. One
more
injury is all it takes.

I'd much rather Arsenal win something than Man Utd, City, Spurs or Chelsea. They can still do one though

Brendan-Rodgers-008.jpg

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
It was too close to my heart.

Look Arsenal fans. Look at your rivals. Look at their 25 man squads. Their recent trophy wins.

Look at them. You have like 14 players. You haven't won anything since before I got my first pube.

Do I think Ozil has improved your team? Yes. Do I think you have the best coach in the league? Yes. Do I think one signing in a position that you arguably didnt even need anyone in will make up a 20 point deficit and result in you challenging for the league?

No.

And it's fucking hilarious that no one outside your fans think so.

Wilburine

1121.jpg

It's useless

Ozil will assist their way to the title.

GHG

Look Arsenal fans. Look at your rivals. Look at their 25 man squads. Their recent trophy wins.

Look at them. You have like 14 players. You haven't won anything since before I got my first pube.

Do I think Ozil has improved your team? Yes. Do I think you have the best coach in the league? Yes. Do I think one signing in a position that you arguably didnt even need anyone in will make up a 20 point deficit and result in you challenging for the league?

No.

We don't need anyone else to believe it though. We perform best when we have our backs up against the wall. The moment people start singing our praises and expect us to win a game/trophy is when it all goes to shit.

I prefer it this way, the players go out there more hungry because they have a point to prove. We don't need rival fans and the bloodsucking media to believe in us.

ShogunX

They scored 3 goals against us over 2 legs. We scored 3 goals against them over 2 legs. I don't see the point that's trying to be made here. If you are using that game as an example, by that notion, their defense is as bad as ours.

Its like the 8-2 is stuck in everyone's mind and they have preconceived ideas about our defense because of it. And don't even cite the Villa game from a few weeks ago because a penalty that wasn't a foul and then a breakaway goal whist we're trying to salvage an equaliser in the dying minutes don't count.

In the first game Bayern could of left with double figures. The point is whilst Arsenal have a good enough team to compete domestically the top teams in Europe are going to repeatedly slice you open. The team has been far too top heavy for years

Salvadora

It's incredible. People call Liverpool fans myopic, but we've got fans on here going from wanting Arsene out to thinking they're contenders for the league in the space of two weeks. It's madness.

Let's give a few months to see how Ozil beds in, eh?
To be fair, I'm not being serious about winning the league. Lots of tongue in cheek.

I voted for Giroud because I've seen every match he has played in for Arsenal and watched him massively improve. I think Sturridge is very good.

It doesn't surprise me to see Liverpool/Arsenal fans sticking with their respective striker as the exposure is much higher. I doubt the neutrals will have the same amount.

nemesun

god, this pissing contest between Liverpool and Arsenal is hilarious, especially when you frame it as the team who finished 7th last season vs the one who hasn't won anything in nearly 10 years.
Ditto. Even as a gooner, it's fucking embarrassing reading through all that rubbish. We ain't winning the premier league this season, nor will Liverpool finish in the top 4. Pipe dreams and all that.

The best we can realistically hope for this season is the mickey mouse cup; unless we go out and buy us a proper world class striker in the same mould as Cavani in Jan.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'll make this simple

Ozil is a good player

Arsenal isn't a good team.

you'll win the title and everyone will hate it<3

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ok so im not a Kagawa fan, ive made the point before I cant see what others see in him and honestly it feels like Moyes is the same way, at the moment. United have a history of really touted players coming and not performing, its not a huge list but its sizeable enough to make the claim that sometimes players come and it just doesnt work. Now I truly believe hererra was the death nail for Kagawa and that didnt happen, so Moyes has a choice, either intigrate him where we need him or work around the problem, which he is doing at the moment with Clev and Giggs in midfield, a solution that simply isnt helping us. So really our only viable option so far as I see it is to work with Kagawa and give him a proper chance, hope he settles. It could work it may nto but I honestly dont see any other way for us to viably challenge on any front this season.

United fans...serenade me please with how good this guy is :( i need to feel it

PaulLFC

Do I think you have the best coach in the league? Yes. Do I think one signing in a position that you arguably didnt even need anyone in will make up a 20 point deficit and result in you challenging for the league?

No.

Indeed it is. There's being optimistic then there's this, it's brilliant. Last I knew teams were made up of 11 players, not 1. Great as Ozil is, he won't win any matches by himself.

Slizz

Ok so im not a Kagawa fan, ive made the point before I cant see what others see in him and honestly it feels like Moyes is the same way, at the moment. United have a history of really touted players coming and not performing, its not a huge list but its sizeable enough to make the claim that sometimes players come and it just doesnt work. Now I truly believe hererra was the death nail for Kagawa and that didnt happen, so Moyes has a choice, either intigrate him where we need him or work around the problem, which he is doing at the moment with Clev and Giggs in midfield, a solution that simply isnt helping us. So really our only viable option so far as I see it is to work with Kagawa and give him a proper chance, hope he settles. It could work it may nto but I honestly dont see any other way for us to viably challenge on any front this season.

He's not a bad player at all. He rarely gets to play his natural position for his country(Honda is really good at CAM) or United.

All of that is not Kagawas fault

faridmon

Funny how fast we go from crisis club to a PL contender just because one freaking dude joined a club. I bet Arsenal will be the club in Crisis in 3 weeks times and then they win few games and they are the upcoming champions.

Can't we agree on one thing only?

Mastadon

Banned
I'll make this simple

Ozil is a good player

I'd love Arsenal to win the league to be absolutely honest. Fuck Man Utd, Chelsea and Man City (in that order)

GHG

I'll make this simple

Ozil is a good player

We'll be better when Suarez arrives in January though. Then we'll win the CL as well.

Ok I'm done for tonight, Liverpool fans can rest easy for their final few hours before bed

Zabojnik

True. Really enjoying serie this year. Also juve fans how confident are you of holding on to conte? If he wins the title again I can see either barca or Madrid coming in for him if their respective managers flop.

Not too confident. He's juventino to the bone, but he's also very ambitious. My guess is he'll stay for as long as he feels the team is improving. He'll want a decent shot at CL sooner rather than later, which means signings, top (or near enough) signings. The situation in Italy is what it is, so ... I wouldn't be too surprised to see him leave for a $$$ club, but hopefully that won't happen for a few more years.

Don't leave us, Capitano Cunte. :(

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
He's not a bad player at all. He rarely gets to play his natural position for his country(Honda is really good at CAM) or United.

So in trying to fit him into said position what is the key issue? Does it move into Rooneys territory? Or do we have to sacrifice defensive cover or a wing position?

Barzul

Did Kagawa play against any of the big teams last season?

Clegg

That team would be destroyed in the the wings I think, doubt we'll ever see it.

It probably would. But our wingers are in such poor form that all they're good for is their defensive duties. And having 2 non attacking wingers in your starting line up is useless.

I'd like to see us experiment with formations a bit. Our dependence on wing play has been one of the cornerstones of our success over the last 20 years. But right now it's a hindrance.

I'd be totally alright if we won the League Cup this season and nothing else. Anything above is borderline delusional. I've learned my lesson years ago. Get too optimistic, then comes the reality check. Come on our team gets shaky legs whenever there's pressure. All bark no bite.

Yeah I'm jaded, lol :/

I dislike it when they do this.

kharma45

It probably would. But are wingers are in such poor form that all they're good for is their defensive duties. And having 2 non attacking wingers in your starting line up is useless.

I'd like to see us experiment with formations a bit. Our dependence on wing play has been one of the cornerstones of our success over the last 20 years. But right now it's a hindrance.

Moyes and experiment. I can dream.

Slizz

Also its not 'funny' how everyone makes snap judgements on teams immediately after big transfer news or the like.

It's a combination of:

1. The nature of sports and sports media in general
2. The internet

That easy.

Salvadora

He was injured for quite a bit of last season and adapting to a new league as well as that.

These things take time for most players, I don't know why Moyes wouldn't place some faith in him considering what he did at Dortmund.

Mr Cola

Moyes and experiment. I can dream.

Having Jones overlap only to cross the ball either over the bar, over everyone or hitting the blocker 10 yards away is vomit inducing.

Lightning

Banned

No.

Not all of us think Ozil signing means we will challenge. All I said was that this summer was a step in the right direction.

His signing helps greatly in recruiting other talent too. It can only be positive even if we don't challenge. Ozil's presence can only help us push on.

Clegg

So in trying to fit him into said position what is the key issue? Does it move into Rooneys territory? Or do we have to sacrifice defensive cover or a wing position?
Yes. And I'm not sure if Moyes will pick Shinji ahead of fatty.

We'll all admit that Kagawa hasn't played as well as he can. Nowhere near as well tbh. He doesn't look effective on the wing and even as a number 10 he sometimes drifts in and out of games. But in the last 3 or 4 fixtures of last season we gave him a run out in his preferred position and he looked pretty good.

When United are crying out for some creativity it's just stupid that we don't even have him in the matchday squad. Tbh I think he'll leave in the summer if he doesn't get a fair chance. And that will be a damn shame

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom