• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
Wahh wahh wahh Mad Men doesn't have explosions bro! Mad Men doesn't have shoot outs in the middle of the street. Go watch Breaking Bad for that. Babies.

Zxa3eR7.gif
tumblr_me30c6rZKc1qgp6v5o1_500.gif

faridmon

I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but not liking Mad Men because it's lack of explosions or violence makes you come across as a really shallow person. I can't demand anyone to like it, but for those reasons it's just silly. And really, reading spoilers about a show you don't watch and then use them to explain why it's a boring show is probably the most dumb thing ever.

I don't like just because I don't like Historical or Periodical Shows. that's all!

I am more of contemporary guy. Nothing against Mad Men or anything.

Linius

Everything about it looks boring to me. If a main story point is somebody's employment status, I couldn't give a fuck. I don't need explosions, but I do need consequences that reach beyond a character's financial situation

Instead of reading about it you should try watching it. And by watching it I mean a whole season. It could very well be it's not for you, but I don't think anyone could say something about the writing of this show. Everything that the characters go trough is well motivated.

Salvadora

I'm surprised by how much I enjoyed the first episode of Homeland season three.

And hey, I want any trophy. It could be a bin lid and I wouldn't care.

Wilbur

Banned
Nah bro we want explosions and shit dog.

Okay. Pretend that you had no idea who the writers and showrunners were, who the stars were, that you hadn't seen any photos or clips. Basically anything about the shows that you know, you don't. All you have to base it on are these:

Breaking Bad is the story of Walter White, a struggling high school chemistry teacher who is diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer at the beginning of the series. He turns to a life of crime, producing and selling methamphetamine in order to secure his family's financial future before he dies, teaming with his former student, Jesse Pinkman.

Each season of The Wire introduces a different facet of the city of Baltimore. In chronological order they are: the illegal drug trade, the seaport system, the city government and bureaucracy, the school system, and the print news media. Its showrunner has said that despite its presentation as a crime drama, the show is "really about the American city, and about how we live together. It's about how institutions have an effect on individuals. Whether one is a cop, a longshoreman, a drug dealer, a politician, a judge or a lawyer, all are ultimately compromised and must contend with whatever institution to which they are committed."

The show is set in the 1870s in Deadwood, South Dakota, before and after the area's annexation by the Dakota Territory. The series charts Deadwood's growth from camp to town, incorporating themes ranging from the formation of communities to western capitalism. The show features a large ensemble cast, and many historical figures appear as characters on the show—such as Wild Bill Hickok, Calamity Jane, Wyatt Earp, E. B. Farnum and George Hearst. The plot lines involving these characters include historical truths as well as substantial fictional elements. Its showrunner used actual diaries and newspapers from 1870s Deadwood residents as reference points for characters, events, and the look and feel of the show. Some of the characters are fully fictional, although they may have been based on actual persons.

Mad Men is set in the 1960s, initially at the fictional Sterling Cooper advertising agency on Madison Avenue in New York City. The focal point of the series is Don Draper (Jon Hamm), creative director at Sterling Cooper and the people in his life, both in and out of the office. The plot focuses on the business of the agencies as well as the personal lives of the characters, regularly depicting the changing moods and social mores of the United States in the 1960s.

The story arc of Battlestar Galactica is set in a distant star system, where a civilization of humans live on a group of planets known as the Twelve Colonies. In the past, the Colonies had been at war with a cybernetic race of their own creation, known as the Cylons. With the unwitting help of a human named Gaius Baltar, the Cylons launch a sudden sneak attack on the Colonies, laying waste to the planets and devastating their populations. Out of a population numbering in the billions, only approximately 50,000 humans survive, most of whom were aboard civilian ships that avoided destruction. Of all the Colonial Fleet, the eponymous Battlestar Galactica appears to be the only military capital ship that survived the attack. Under the leadership of Colonial Fleet officer Commander William "Bill" Adama and President Laura Roslin, the Galactica and its crew take up the task of leading the small fugitive fleet of survivors into space in search of a fabled refuge known as Earth.

The Office is about the day-to-day lives of office employees in the Slough branch of the fictitious Wernham Hogg Paper Company. Its show runner also stars in the series, playing the central character, David Brent. Although fictional and scripted, the programme takes the form of a documentary (a fictional documentary, i.e. a mockumentary), with the presence of the camera often acknowledged.

Mad Men and the Office don't sound that exciting and watchable compared to the rest of them for entertainment value. Even Deadwood and The Wire don't sound that exciting there but at least I'd know from that the former is a Western and the latter has the cops and the drugs to make it a bit exciting. And of course they're fucking great.

Battlestar Galactica sounds like mumbo jumbo shit but I've watched the first series and really liked it.

Now of course, The Office is the greatest show of all time. But if I hadn't watched it, I didn't know anything about it and I just read that synopsis, I wouldn't say it sounds great. But I'd give it a shot, and I'd find out it's great. I'm pretty sure when I give Mad Men a go, I'll love it. But there's things I'd rather watch first.

Everything about it looks boring to me. If a main story point is somebody's employment status, I couldn't give a fuck. I don't need explosions, but I do need consequences that reach beyond a character's financial situation

This reminds me of kids saying they don't like some food before tasting it.

Instead of reading about it you should try watching it. And by watching it I mean a whole season. It could very well be it's not for you, but I don't think anyone could say something about the writing of this show. Everything that the characters go trough is well motivated.

Fuck that, got other things to watch :p

Deadwood is first up after BB, gonna watch Crawl Space and the S4 finale in half an hour or so.

Then The Sopranos, The Shield, Person of Interest, Mrs Brown's Boys rewatch, and I wanna throw a couple of those films I need to catch up on in there as well

FootballFan

I'm sorry to break it to you guys, but not liking Mad Men because it's lack of explosions or violence makes you come across as a really shallow person. I can't demand anyone to like it, but for those reasons it's just silly. And really, reading spoilers about a show you don't watch and then use them to explain why it's a boring show is probably the most dumb thing ever.

It's the days of Call of Duty boys everywhere man, what can you do.

Breaking bad spoilers, don't click if you haven't seen it all:
Poisonings, running people over, shoot outs in the middle of the street, blowing up buildings, fucking causing a plane crash, blowing up people(literally lol), melting criminals in your house etc and never getting caught in the most unrealistic way possible is much cooler today.

Just to be clear, BB > MM, but not liking MM for it's lack of dudebro explosions and kills is just so....childish.

Fry hates it, not much more needs to be said.

Meier

Everton to win the league.

I was getting very nervous for them when the option of selling Baines and Fellaini was bandied about. Baines to Lukaku is gonna be dirty. Barry is a nice addition as well.. he could prove very beneficial for them. Had they sold the two biggies, I would have expected them to fall out of the top 10. Now I think they'll still finish 8th or so. Maybe 9th.

Wilbur

Banned
Your brain will be too damaged by the chicken fumes by the time you get around to it, you will just sit and wait for explosions like fry.

Edit : lol didn't even see Fry had beaten me to it. But Fry hating on it surely should be a indicator on its quality.

:lol dem chiken fumes
pour one out for my bro pulga xoxo

But yeah, like I've said I'll probs love it when I give it a chance, just things I'd rather watch first.

I know your struggling to embrace your future irrelevance, but really, there is no need to fight it. Your decline will be wonderous.

Guarantee you we finish above you for the next three seasons at least. I bet twenty quid. Bookmark pls.

Higuain 34 million :looooooooooooool

Linius

Deadwood is first up after BB, gonna watch Crawl Space and the S4 finale in half an hour or so.

Then The Sopranos, The Shield, Person of Interest, Mrs Brown's Boys rewatch, and I wanna throw a couple of those films I need to catch up on in there as well

I miss some Boardwalk Empire up in here. Or are you watching that already?

Person of Interest is great bw.

:lol dem chiken fumes
pour one out for my bro pulga xoxo

But yeah, like I've said I'll probs love it when I give it a chance, just things I'd rather watch first.

Which I can't say anything to, hell you might not like it which is also fine. But hating on it based on stupid fucking descriptions pulled of wiki or something is one of the dumbest things I've seen in FootyGAF in a long time... and some dumb shit goes down in here.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm disappointed with you.

Feeling like shit isn't an excuse when you've got the entirety of Mad Men to watch. It's fucking perfect television; it's superlative writing. All about the characters, though, not about the fuck off moments. Although they do happen, and because they're so rare they mean more.

Like if Arsenal won a trophy tomorrow Barzgul's brain would haemorrhage.

BABY PLEASE

PLEASE READ WHAT I'VE POSTED SINCE

PLEASE

pls find sympathy.

Fuck me you haven't watched Crawl Space yet?! hnnghgnghghjijugisansauins like I said last time I want you to describe in detail what happens in your brain during those last 10 minutes.

Also Deadwood's my favourite drama of all time out of the ones I've seen. Better than Breaking Bad and The Wire for me, but fuck I've barely seen anything. The Sopranos, The Shield, Band Of Brothers, Battlestar, Six Feet Under. I've got most of them as well, no excuse.

Have you seen Summer Heights High? If not, I reckon you'd love it. Arnie, give it a go as well if you haven't. And have you seen In The Loop and S4 of Thick of It yet?

Salvadora

I like Breaking Bad, but I felt like it only took the step up to the very top level in season 5. Arguably 4 could be included.
So better than anything that was in S2? Damn that was pure shit.

Can't wait until Channel 4 broadcast it.
I thought so.

Last season still happened, but much improved. Although the start of season two was good too, and look how that turned out.

Ingeniero

Haven't even introduced myself. Londoner, Arsenal fan if you haven't guessed already. Lurked for years like a creepy old guy but I'm ready to expose myself for footygaf ;)

Also, Lambda is a cunt.

You're all cunts, except Arsegaf <3

My man, welcome.

Linius

Watched all episodes of Boardwalk empire, might give up on it now, can't really be bothered anymore with it

Really? I know people stopped watching after one season because the show just isn't for them (too slow mostly). But after watching three seasons (and also being a Mad Man fan) I can't imagine you saying this. What's wrong with it if I may ask?

BABY PLEASE

PLEASE READ WHAT I'VE POSTED SINCE

PLEASE

pls find sympathy.

Fuck me you haven't watched Crawl Space yet?! hnnghgnghghjijugisansauins like I said last time I want you to describe in detail what happens in your brain during those last 10 minutes.

Also Deadwood's my favourite drama of all time out of the ones I've seen. Better than Breaking Bad and The Wire for me, but fuck I've barely seen anything. The Sopranos, The Shield, Band Of Brothers, Battlestar, Six Feet Under. I've got most of them as well, no excuse.

Have you seen Summer Heights High? If not, I reckon you'd love it. Arnie, give it a go as well if you haven't. And have you seen In The Loop and S4 of Thick of It yet?

I couldn;t stand what I saw of the spiritual successor to Summer Height's High, if I'm thinking of the right programme

Clydefrog

Where's Ushojax??

Banned. It really sucks too because he was one of the legit Spurs fans who would post level-headed stuff in this thread. Then he goes and posts in the Gaming section like some kind of JT.

He didn't even get to say goodbye to Bale :(

re: Ozil, my thoughts: 50 mil euros is a shit-ton but you and I know he will not flop. and he's only 24 years old. great signing for arsenal :(

I can't wait until this new team of Spurs gels and clicks and starts kicking ass. hopefully sooner rather than later AVB...

Wilbur

Banned
Boardwalk Empire was really boring for the majority of the first season but it looked gorgeous and was acted really well. Season 2 and 3 are amazing though. Buscemi is almost on Cranston and McShane tier.

Which I can't say anything to, hell you might not like it which is also fine. But hating on it based on stupid fucking descriptions pulled of wiki or something is one of the dumbest things I've seen in FootyGAF in a long time... and some dumb shit goes down in here.

:lol I was taking the piss about the blowing up and the shooting mama. You hate on Moyes even though he's subjectively better than Mou because he beat him to the Chelsea job.

I never said I hate it, just that it sounds less exciting to me than the others and so is further down my list of what to watch.

Meier

All these thread newbies. Where is that City fan who showed up the other day?!

Damn you sohois for fucking up the OP. *punts the motherfucker out the window*

Messi

It pleases me knowing I have another season of mad men to catch up on. More of the Joan goodness.

Schwenni's old user name was Fry. He is as a relative benchmark for some... questionable taste in Movies, Music, Films and Football teams.

...and he has questionable taste in picking a gaf username.

Banned. It really sucks too because he was one of the legit Spurs fans who would post level-headed stuff in this thread. Then he goes and posts in the Gaming section like some kind of JT.

He didn't even get to say goodbye to Bale :(

re: Ozil, my thoughts: 50 mil euros is a shit-ton but you and I know he will not flop. and he's only 24 years old. great signing for arsenal :(

I can't wait until this new team of Spurs gels and clicks and starts kicking ass. hopefully sooner rather than later AVB...

What did he say in gaming-side?

bobito

Banned
Really? I know people stopped watching after one season because the show just isn't for them (too slow mostly). But after watching three seasons (and also being a Mad Man fan) I can't imagine you saying this. What's wrong with it if I may ask?

Mostly I don't enjoy the setting very much, reminds me too much of westerns to a degree.

Wilbur

Banned
I couldn;t stand what I saw of the spiritual successor to Summer Height's High, if I'm thinking of the right programme

Angry Boys? Yeah that wasn't very good. But trust me, SHH is brilliant. Real cringe comedy at its finest.

Crawl Space is so hilariously overrated.

The whole episode isn't the absolute best but
I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been watching it live and have to wait a week after that ending. The ending is phenomenal. I think my favourite episode is the train heist one.

Linius

Schwenni's old user name was Fry. He is as a relative benchmark for some... questionable taste in Movies, Music, Films and Football teams.

He is still here

This has to be a joke.

Faridmon is making things awkward for Bobito.

Mostly I don't enjoy the setting very much, reminds me too much of westerns to a degree.

But the setting of a TV show is pretty much the most important thing. How did you even make it trough three seasons? :p

And how does the '20's and '30's mobster era remind you of westerns?

FootballFan

Summer Heights High is incredible, sucks that you guys would find Jonah funny but not half as funny as Kiwis/Aussies would. Such a good character :lol

This has to be a joke.

Nah. I'm serious unfortunately.

jtb

Banned
Angry Boys? Yeah that wasn't very good. But trust me, SHH is brilliant. Real cringe comedy at its finest.

The whole episode isn't the absolute best but
I can't imagine what it must have been like to have been watching it live and have to wait a week after that ending. The ending is phenomenal. I think my favourite episode is the train heist one.

I like that episode a lot, but my favorite BB episode by far is "Fly". I guess that speaks to the kind of stories I like, nothing better than a quality bottle episode for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom