• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

panty

People give Khedira too much shit, he's not as bad as most of footygaffers think.

He might not be as technical or "good" as Alonso but he's not bad either. He knows how we play and he is getting better. If the 35M offer is true it shows we rank him highly and need him, as Alonso and Illarra are both injured. Casemiro is a great prospect but he still needs to adapt.

For the sixth time, just watch this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDmyo2N7TWo @ that run against Barcelona alone is wow-worthy.

Fork the last two posts.

Jack cw

The difference is that both Bayern and Milan were looking to get rid of Boateng/Gustavo or at least willing to let them go.

Don't think Real has any intent to sell Khedira, so he should be valued a bit higher. 18-20m looks about right.
That is exactly what I wrote. The lack of defensive Midfielder forced Real to keep him otherwise they would have sold him for around 20 million...

Clegg

So judging from these comments do we think Ander would be open to a move in January?

Not that we'd ever actually pay his release clause. Tight bastards that we are.

So judging from these comments do we think Ander would be open to a move in January?

Not that we'd ever actually pay his release clause. Tight bastards that we are.

I'm going to go with yes. He played it very diplomatically (Bilbao fans can be unforgiving) but left it open to happen.

Slizz

iFBLXsKEPEN0Y.gif

ibpLxCKQBpIkHH.gif

Salvadora

I didn't know Fellaini slept with Rooney's cousin.
"He kept saying, 'Don't be shy - I will show you mine,"
"But the sneak didn't tell me he had a girlfriend back in Belgium.
"He would text me in broken English, he wrote: "Com please me only my family no hier Please for me babe."
"I thought he looked like Screech the geek from Saved By The Bell, so was a bit 'whatever' about it.
"I told him 'no way'. Then he dropped his trousers and mooned right at me.

Clegg

Btw in his column for the Independent Ian Herbert mentioned that Moyes considers Januzaj to be a "special talent" and will start including him in matchday squads soon.

faridmon

Btw in his column for the Independent Ian Herbert mentioned that Moyes considers Januzaj to be a "special talent" and will start including him in matchday squads soon.

That is what he said regarding Barkely Rodwell and Vellios. Its al too familiar now.

It's not just his own performance. His lack of conviction fucks up the players behind him. Granted, Evra has his own issues, but when the Most Impotently Conservative Player in British Football is in front of you, tying himself in knots to avoid TAKING THE FUCKING BALL FORWARD, it can't be easy to gauge your own degrees of defensive and offensive commitment.

Him and Cleverly almost never moved forward and actively ruined every good movement anyone made around them. It was nerve wrecking.

Did you count how many times he turned back to goal and passed it to Vidic?

A lot more than I could count, I only watched 5 mins but that was enough to surpass my 10 counting fingers.

Clegg

That is what he said regarding Barkely Rodwell and Vellios. Its al too familiar now.

Tbf Barkley said he completely understands why Moyes only used him sparingly last season.

Don't know what the story is with Rodwell but I can only assume it's because he's a perma crock.

Tc91

Cristiano, in Portugal: "I'm angry about Özil leaving"

With the German international now under the orders of Arsene Wenger, Cristiano has lost his best partner on the field.

The Portuguese scored 27 goals thanks to passes from Özil in the three seasons the pair spent together at Madrid, making the German the best provider of assists Cristiano has had in his entire career.

So not only did Wenger sell us RVP he's helping us get Ronaldo back!

Cheers Arsene!

Clegg

Listen to the new Football Weekly podcast. They also said they didn't understand why Ashley Yound plays for United and that a lot of fans have gotten sick of him.

They also laughed at Moyes choosing Young and Giggs on the wing for one of the hardest away games of the season.

Batigol

Banned
Is there a way in FM to stop players from ageing? I always get bored after like 5 seasons 'cause I don't recognise any one any more. Hate regens :(

K1LLER7

Why on earth would you want an international games?

People like you are the ones who are destroying fun for others

:p
I'd rather have International football than NO football :p

Still haven't got around to watch this weeks 'HunxHun' or 'AOT'.

Moyes is still keen on Herrera, but we won't pay that fee.

Gambit

So the PS2 version of the game is better than the NGC then? It's essentially the same exact game with additional content.

No, it is visually downgraded and you can't use the controller originally intended for it. With the Wii version, you get the original experience + additional content and control options.

Randdalf

Is there a way in FM to stop players from ageing? I always get bored after like 5 seasons 'cause I don't recognise any one any more. Hate regens :(

You know, I've always thought this was a thing they should do as well.

You can actually do it, sort of. The way you do it is you get a list of all the player IDs in the databse (by deleting every player then extracting their IDs from the XML using a script). Then you add a modification to every player setting their birth date to something like 1000 years in the future using those IDs. This will make every real player in the game 14 years old for approximately 1000 years of in-game time. I think that it would kind of mess up the youth systems and all that though.

faridmon

I'd rather have International football than NO football :p

Still haven't got around to watch this weeks 'HunxHun' or 'AOT'.

This Weeks Episode of Hunter x Hunter was bloody amazing. One of the best in the last few episode. Goddamn, that series delivers.

Also, here is my final impression of Steins;Gate if you can bother reading it as whole

Steins;Gate 1 - 25 FINAL

Having finished the series later than everyone else, I have to say that I don’t know whether it was good idea to have missed the excitement around this series with everyone or not. Maybe I would have loved it more when it was an on-going show, because I really can’t say is it is as close to a perfect series, but I did end up liking it in the end, which is the important thing.

For one thing, I do think the plot of this show and the story is rather good, well-oiled and was told in greatly fashion. The show just knows itself, the producers and the director have planned it appropriately and the plot moves without any hick up and it doesn’t have fillers. The characters all have a great chemistry between them and more often than not, bring out a well-placed individualism out of them; be it banter, cry for help, support and so on. Which brings me to a certain point; this show might be one of the best, I recall that is, merging several styles and genres quite comfortably. It starts off mysteriously, and then suddenly trudges through the mono-styled Slice-of-Life element frequently sprayed with dialogues of comedic banters and situations. Then it becomes a full fleshed adventurous Science Fiction until it wraps its mystery up. Add to the fact that it develops a major Romantic sub-plots as well psychological tension, and then you have a series that uses several styles without convoluting its original purpose. The fact that it is a well organised Anime with all of those elements adds to my overall enjoyment of the show.

However, this comes at the expense of the depth of said elements. While I think the Comedic parts are done wonderfully (Such as the banters between Okabe and Kirisu), it’s hard to ignore those half-devolved elements of Drama that comes very suddenly without any hint of progression towards it. You could argue the fact that the time travel elements does indeed develop those feeling, but the way those romantic situations and the dialogue constructed in it are severely lacking. The psychological elements, while strengthened by the notion of experiencing painful situations repeatedly, are also weak retrospectively compared to its promised ambitions. The mystery portion is answered in a more riddled way and the Slice of Life sections were forgotten halfway due to its Science Fiction evolution. While I applaud this series to include those entire elements, I would rather have it focused on one or two style and strengthen those styles within their plot they are trying to tell.

The Crux of this Anime is Time Travel. It doesn’t hide that fact, although it’s first 2 Episode told in a more confused manner only to be explained during the ending of this show. The story revolves around Okabe (Or Hyohin as he refers to himself) and his imaginary fight against organisations and conspiracies. He has a hobby of making things up and creates scientific theories around it. He then precedes get into the CERN database and discovers stories about hidden Time Travel accidence which sets him to create a machine for it. The Story develops into maintaining an order for the time travel paradoxes, fighting off Organisations that discovers his motives while he collaborates with newly acquired lab members. Suffice to say, there is a lot going on, and develops into a more practical involvements which sets of bunch of sub-plots which expands on the basic premise. As I said, the overall story is introduced and resolved in a satisfactory manner and the subplots, while some of them are better than others, have their quirks to be fulfilling. This is done with great scrip and characterisation. The plot moved forward with each episode and hardly had any hiccups in terms of fillers and red-herrings.

Now to my originals one of the main reasons on why I think The Psychological and the Mystery elements were severely lacking is because of the issue of time travel and it’s paradoxical. I don’t have a degree in Quantum Physics nor do I have a great knowledge on various intricacies of Time-Space Continuum or General Relativity (however, I do have a hobby on reading up some of those hypothesis and try to understand the basic gist of it), but I do generally get annoyed by various stories about Time travel as they tend to ignore the basic Paradox reality it creates or create confusing, nonsensical substitute to Justify its authority on the subjects, and generally, it annoys me. Steins;Gate falls in the middle, whilst it does better job at using the Time Theory mechanics than many stories out there, there is still loopholes that deters me from completely accepting it at face value. Also, the fact that Paradox has been introduced later on, when it was completely broken by the several Time travels before it is just puzzling. Also the introduction of the theoretical several time-space threads which doesn’t cross with each is a bit contradictory to the fact that characters do remember what happened. Not to say, I didn’t enjoy it. When someone have recommended me not to nit-pick those flaws, I have enjoyed it considerable, and keep in mind those annoyance aren’t that explicit in the Anime and it is possible enjoyable even if those issues were raised.

While I have established the actual show is nothing less of a great one, it is important to mention the main weakness of the show and that is its production value and the presentational style. I really have to say; I really do abhor the art style. The character design appears to be unproportionally elongated with no extra weight added to them. They appear to be very flat and the colour composition lacks depth and texture. The environments, while detailed to a certain degree, look very sterile and clean. The background art is minimal and have this disconnection between it and the character with its word angular shots and obscure camera angles. Speaking of the camera work, its design decisions are atrocious; some of those shots are ridiculous to a comical effect, while others that are trying to show a more emotive emphasis are just unwatchable due to poor cuttings and uses of angular movements. The uses of distortion blur and colour desaturations are equally tacky and unprofessional. However, I have to say that some of the animations are drawn well; especially those face expressions and comedic elaborations. The Japanese voice acting does its job, although I have to say Okabe’s line of nonsensical drivels and scientific explanations are well delivered. However, the dub is one of the worse I have heard and was very grating and abrasive experience to sit through I some of the episode, they also changed some of the personality which doesn’t make sense at all.

Summery;

Overall, it’s a great series that is well told and grabs from the start to the end, bar its confusing moments and its melodramatic sections. It knows what it is and delivers a planned experience that is fulfilling. Some of its scientific introduction is actually quite fun to learn and while the time travel aspect of it might have its flaws, is extremely well research and delivered in an extraordinary confidence. It also benefits from having great character interaction that is backed by well scripted dialogue. Both laugh out funny moments and chuckling situations are included in spades and the back and forth banter might be some of the best. Weak Production values, strange design elements, obtuse Romantic sections, Horrendous Dub and Jack-of-all-trade kind of Genre mesh up should not deter anyone from this well realised adventure.

7/10

omgkitty

What striker could replace RVP's output at Arsenal in terms of goal output and chance creation? Suarez, Liverpool will never let us have it seems and Lewandowski is Bayern bound, can't think of anyone else. Probably hasn't been discovered yet. We'll see how Muriel does this season, might be an option if he can stay fit. On a different note, can't wait to play GTAV, wish it was coming to next-gen, I'd buy it twice if I had to.

I know this was posted hours ago, but I wanted to respond. Lewandowski's contract ends next June I would assume, meaning he should be able to talk to clubs starting in January. If we do well in the next few months, and Ozil integrates into the team well, we should definitely go after him. No reason not to try, and I'm sure we could match whatever wages Bayern could offer.

cremino

LOL

http://uk.eurosport.yahoo.com/blogs/jim-white/dismal-woodward-failed-primary-summer-task-sign-superstar-110654996.html

Sir John Gielgud, the grand dame of British theatre, was renowned for the sharpness of his put downs. Once, when a colleague was extolling the virtues of an up and coming young actor who had just excelled with his performance in the movie the Wicker Man, Gielgud remarked.

“Edward Woodward? His name sounds like someone farting in the bath.”

For some reason, the poison knight’s verbal barb sprung to mind during the football transfer window. Though in truth it would be wholly unfair to compare Edward Woodward, the new chief executive of Manchester United, to a fart in the bath. After all, breaking wind in the tub can occasionally serve a useful function.

When David Moyes was appointed United manager, there was one thing everyone agreed his employers needed to do to smooth his arrival: over the summer they had to make a sizeable signing. A marquee acquisition would send out the right psychological message about the new man, indicate to the world at large that despite the retirement of Sir Alex Ferguson it was still business as normal at Old Trafford, that the best players around were still anxious to join the club.

It was a limited pool of players from which to draw, but United have the financial resources to land anyone in the top bracket. Neymar, Luka Modric, even the best of them all Cristiano Ronaldo: Woodward should have stopped at nothing to ensure one of them was by now a United player.

Not easy, perhaps. But imperative. Yet, instead of carrying out that one straightforward task, Woodward had what might tactfully be described as an unfruitful summer. A man adept at pushing through deals to manufacture the United shirt, he proved himself utterly hapless when it came to recruiting players to wear it.

Woodward’s tactics in the transfer market redefined the term naive. Lacking the experience or contacts of his predecessor David Gill, in the embarrassing pursuit of Cesc Fabregas one of his main conduits for information was a British journalist based in Barcelona. Which is not exactly occupying the inside track.

When he finally appreciated that there might be a chance to prise Mesut Ozil from Real Madrid this weekend, Woodward contacted the Bernabeu to put in a formal bid. As anyone with any knowledge of the onrushing deadline knows, with the clock ticking there is no time to formality.

Arsene Wenger simply rang Ozil direct, and – in flawless German – persuaded him of the logic of a move to the Emirates. Being out-flanked in the transfer market by Arsene Wenger is the equivalent of that moment in the marathon when you are over-taken by a bloke dressed in a diving suit juggling tomatoes.

But that appeared to be the Woodward way. Coupled with Moyes’s renowned conservatism in transfer dealing, it meant United’s final plunge into the market was beyond a joke. On the deadline day itself, Woodward behaved – as one United blogger so neatly observed – like a bloke in a nightclub as kicking out time approaches desperately going round the place asking any of the remaining women to go home with him. And then, when one showed signs of agreeing to do so, he haggled over who was going to pay for the taxi.

The pursuits of Ander Herrera and Fabio Coentrao petered out over the kind of detail that would easily have been overcome had negotiations begun with more than a couple of hours left before the window closed. You know, like some time over the previous six weeks.

The net result was that the only signing delivered to the new manager was his old mucker Maroune Fellaini. And the noises coming out of Merseyside suggest even that would not had happened if the player himself had not so vigorously pushed for it. At £27 million, a good £4m more than he was valued earlier in the summer break, it also demonstrated a remarkable failure of bargaining.

United’s press team have been scrambling to spin the positives out of the summer. The signing of Fellaini, the eventual arrival of Wilfried Zaha after his loan at Crystal Palace and – most importantly of all – the retention of Wayne Rooney are being talked up as evidence of an improved squad for Moyes.

The rest of the football world is less convinced. Instead of giving the new man the public lift he required, his bosses have manifestly let him down. Comparisons are already being made between Woodward and that other marketing man turned CEO Garry Cook. And remember what a fine job Cook did of running Manchester’s other great sporting institution.

Still, if United fans are looking for consolation this morning after the wretched performance of their club’s chief executive over the summer, there is one thing that can be said in Woodward’s defence: at least he isn’t Joe Kinnear.

Clegg

Sport Witness ‏@Sport_Witness
3m

The Daily Star have paid Twitter to promote their 'RVP unhappy with Moyes' article. Bravo, gents, bravo. That's some expensive trolling.

Cole and Lindard have been registered for United's Champions League squad but Januzaj hasn't.

This means he's either going on loan or he's doing that other thing that we don't want to talk about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom