• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Is Zelalem training with the first team? I can't wait to see him in the League Cup.
I'd have to imagine so with him playing such a huge role in the pre-season and how highly Wenger has spoke of him, especially with him now sitting on the bench in every game. He is going to develop into some player.

For a 16 year old to be playing those sort of through balls...

GHG

The Guardian article is really interesting.

I wonder who forged an email writing as United and for which player, also the lawyers situation is really embarrassing.

Moyes not knowing about Thiago is really fucked up though, he might have still left for Bayern just for Pep.

I just read this...:
The issue of Thiago Alcântara also needs clearing up. In his case, it has been portrayed as him snubbing United for Bayern Munich when the truth is actually that Moyes decided he was not entirely comfortable going for the Barcelona player. United had been monitoring him for three years and effectively lined up the transfer but Moyes, as everyone at Everton can testify, likes to have a huge amount of background information on new signings and, having initially gone along with it, decided in the end he did not want to take someone else's word about a player he had seen infrequently. Again, it boils down to a new manager shopping in a new market, with a limited amount of time.

Wat.

My brother insists that Daniel Taylor is biased towards United.

That got me thinking, who do you trust the most (as far as those things go anyway) regarding football news and itk?

Ben Smith is rather good, I always thought Daniel Taylor was decent. Anyone from the Telegraph?

Life points deducted for answers such as Tanc and Indyk

Wilbur

Banned
Means fuck all in the grand scheme of things. He's achieved nothing. Nada. Just becuase someone else has forked out of their asses for him it doesn't mean that he has suddenly achieved anything. I kept watching in the hope it would get good/interesting... then it ended!

I like my Ozil glasses by the way, they fit fine. Maybe your new Fellaini wig is blocking your vision?

He's achieved a move to the biggest club in the world for the biggest fee ever by virtue of being a good player. He's also won the PFA player of the year twice, that being a personal achievement. You can disagree with that if you want (I do), but you were probably spaffing your knickers over RVP, Henry et al doing the same thing.

And man, that comeback was weak. Weak like Jacky Boy's resolve not to snort half of Colombia up his anus.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't understand David Silva's high rating.

Casillas and Buffon should be top15. Vidic has been given generous stats also.

Iniesta is in the 80s, dude. It's safe to say they're fucking clueless.

Joking aside, who cares? There's no science behind it, it's just a popularity contest.

Barzagli, forever forgotten innit Wilbs?

Walshy

Well, two things:

Firstly I think Rodgers main strength is improving young players. It was his job at Chelsea for a very long time, and players like John Terry love him for what he did for them. You only have to look at how far Henderson has come, and the likes of Sterling and Wisdom, to know that he's definitely capable in that regard.

If you look at how he's handled and coached the likes of Coutinho and Sturridge, it's also evident that he's great at taking these promising talents who've fallen from the top of the pile at highly regarded clubs and getting them back on track. Sakho falls right into that mould.

My second main point is about us having to wait for someone else to slip up until we ca challenge for that fourth place. I don't believe this is true.

Since our group improved in January (and it's improved hugely this summer also) we've taken more league points than Manchester United, the eventual champions. In this campaign we've played three, won three, and shown that we've added a huge element to our game from last season, that of character and defensive concentration.

And we've still got the best striker in the league to return to our squad.
Loving the optimism.

On the bit about young players, the bit about Sterling is true, he is smart in how he rested him at the end of last season. One of my favourite things about Rodgers is that he is not afraid to use younger players. I can also see him giving Ryan McLaughlin and Joao Carlos Teixeira this year, those two are great prospects.

Do you still think Wisdom will go out on loan?

PaulLFC

Liverpool's current transfer strategy is really smart, Sakho is a great signing. Potentially great player, great price. I know Rodgers see himself as someone who can improve young talents, and while I'm a bit skeptical of him on that front, if he can get just a few of these players to fulfill their potential, they'll have quite a few quality players. It's definitely the best possible strategy they can employ out of the top 4, imo.

Their biggest problem is that Liverpool just have to be patient for one of the current top 4 to majorly fuck up and I'm not sure if that's happening anytime soon.
Agree on transfer policy, but us having to wait for someone else to mess up to get top 4 - we do, but the better we play, the less they have to mess up. Everyone who doesn't come 1st has messed up to some extent - just the lower teams mess up more often. Out of our next 6 games I think we can, and should, be taking at least 14 points from them if we want to consider ourselves contenders for the top 4, such is the strength of the competitors.

jbkDlt1tuPUnCm.png

If we do that, we're in a very good position, and it should hopefully give us confidence to push on and put in good performances in the on paper more difficult games ahead. So those competing with us will have to play very well too if we do that.

I think we have a chance. It'll be difficult, but the chance is there if we don't make silly mistakes.

Manager

Just try and play Clubs online and you will understand why Navas is 85. He's 5'7 the perfect length for agility in the game, he is fast as hell and has great technique. On paper he is very good on anything a RW need.

Mikro

Neo Member
I'd have to imagine so with him playing such a huge role in the pre-season and how highly Wenger has spoke of him, especially with him now sitting on the bench in every game. He is going to develop into some player.

For a 16 year old to be playing those sort of through balls...

The official Arsenal website has been updated to add Zelalem and Gnabry to the first team squad, seems to be official confirmation of where they are now.

faridmon

Writing about Crystal Stilts is hardest thing ever. Re-reading my initial Paragraph doesn't make sense.

Why do I care, their music doesn't make sense either!

Your brother is correct.

My favourite journo is either Barney Ronay, if I'm looking for entertainment, or Tony Barrett, if I'm looking for 100% reliably sourced Merseyside news.

Just checked them, Barney writes a lot about cricket.

The other two are Liverpool exclusive.

Thanks anyways.

My brother insists that Daniel Taylor is biased towards United.

That got me thinking, who do you trust the most (as far as those things go anyway) regarding football news and itk?

Ben Smith is rather good, I always thought Daniel Taylor was decent. Anyone from the Telegraph?

Life points deducted for answers such as Tanc and Indyk
Sam Wallace and Johnathon Wilson are good.

If you want someone reliable on MUFC, Mark Ogden is probably the most reliable of all the mainstream journalists.

Arnie

Loving the optimism.

On the bit about young players, the bit about Sterling is true, he is smart in how he rested him at the end of last season. One of my favourite things about Rodgers is that he is not afraid to use younger players. I can also see him giving Ryan McLaughlin and Joao Carlos Teixeira this year, those two are great prospects.

I think Wisdom depends on Johnson. If Johnson's going to be out for a couple of months then we definitely need Andre. Would love to see him getting consistent minutes in the league though, I rate him really highly. The rumoured Fulham move would be good for him.

God I can't wait for Ryan McLaughlin to break through. Top player and appears a top lad. His technique's fantastic.
Just checked them, Barney writes a lot about cricket.

The other two are Liverpool exclusive.

Thanks anyways.
Sorry, I didn't know you wanted United-centric ones.

Thought it was just a general 'who are the reliable journos'.

Barney's football stuff is hilarious, you should trawl through his library and give it a read.

Please help me think of an avatar for Wilbury

It has to be funny but I don't want to make him cry or anything.
If it were up to me he'd be plastered with Brenty.

GHG

He's achieved a move to the biggest club in the world for the biggest fee ever by virtue of being a good player. He's also won the PFA player of the year twice, that being a personal achievement. You can disagree with that if you want (I do), but you were probably spaffing your knickers over RVP, Henry et al doing the same thing.

And man, that comeback was weak. Weak like Jacky Boy's resolve not to snort half of Colombia up his anus.

Thierry Henry:

Club

Monaco

Ligue 1 (1): 1996–97
Trophée des champions (1): 1997

Arsenal

Premier League (2): 2001–02, 2003–04
FA Cup (3): 2002, 2003, 2005
FA Community Shield (2): 2002, 2004

Barcelona

La Liga (2): 2008–09, 2009–10
Copa del Rey (1): 2008–09
Supercopa de España (1): 2009
UEFA Champions League (1): 2008–09
UEFA Super Cup (1): 2009
FIFA Club World Cup (1): 2009

New York Red Bulls

MLS Eastern Conference (1): 2010

National

France

FIFA World Cup

Winner: France 1998
Runners-up: Germany 2006

UEFA European Football Championship

Winner: Belgium & Netherlands 2000

FIFA Confederations Cup

Winner: France 2003

King Hassan II International Cup Tournament

Winner: Morocco 2000

A summary of Henry's individual awards is as follows:

UNFP Ligue 1 Young Player of the Year (1): 1996–97
PFA Players' Player of the Year (2): 2002–03, 2003–04
PFA Team of the Year (6): 2000–01, 2001–02, 2002–03, 2003–04, 2004–05, 2005–06
FWA Footballer of the Year (3): 2002–03, 2003–04, 2005–06
Premier League Golden Boot (4): 2001–02, 2003–04, 2004–05, 2005–06.
Golden Boot Landmark Award 10 (1): 2004–05
Golden Boot Landmark Award 20 (1): 2004–05
Premier League Player of the Month (4): April 2000, September 2002, January 2004, April 2004
Goal of the Season (1): 2002–03
UEFA Team of the Year (5): 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006
MLS Best XI (2): 2011, 2012
MLS Player of the Month (1): March 2012
Best MLS Player ESPY Award (1): 2013
Onze d'Or (2): 2003, 2006
European Golden Boot (2): 2003–04, 2004–05
French Player of the Year (5): 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006
IFFHS World's Top Goal Scorer of the Year (1): 2003
FIFA FIFPro World XI (1): 2006
FIFA World Cup All-Star Team (1): Germany 2006
FIFA Confederations Cup Golden Ball (1): France 2003
FIFA Confederations Cup Golden Shoe (1): France 2003
UEFA European Football Championship Team of the Tournament (1): 2000
FIFA 100 : 2004
Time 100 Heroes & Pioneers no.16 : 2007
English Football Hall of Fame : 2008
Premier League 10 Seasons Awards (1992–93 – 2001–02)
Overseas Team of the Decade
Premier League 20 Seasons Awards
Fantasy Team (Panel choice)
Fantasy Team (Public choice)
Légion d'Honneur : 1998

Gareth Bale:

Club

Southampton Academy

Premier Academy League: 2005–06

Tottenham Hotspur

League Cup: 2009 runner-up

Individual

Football League Championship PFA Team of the Year: 2006–07
Football League Young Player of the Year: 2007
FAW Young Player of the Year: 2007[155]
FA Cup Player of the Round: 2009–10 5th Round[156]
Tottenham Hotspur Young Player of the Year: 2009–10,[157] 2010–11[citation needed]
Wales Player of the Year Award: 2010,[158] 2011[159]
BBC Wales Sports Personality of the Year: 2010[160]
BBC Wales Carwyn James Junior Sportsman of the Year: 2006[26]
Premier League PFA Team of the Year: 2010–11, 2011–12, 2012–13[82]
FWA Footballer of the Year: 2012–13
PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2010–11,[56] 2012–13[82]
PFA Young Player of the Year: 2012–13[82]
UEFA Team of the Year: 2011[161]
Premier League Player of the Month: April 2010,[162] January 2012, February 2013[163]

Yes Bale has won a number of individual awards, but football is a team sport and in the grand scheme of things they mean nothing. Just ask Van Persie how he felt winning the PFA and Golden boot awards in his last season with us. Holla at me once Bale's list compares to Henry's then we can talk about making a REAL documentary for him, not some half hour pile of shite about a young mans upbringing and school days.

The documentary should have come after everyone has had the opportunity to see how he gets on in Spain and if he becomes a true sporting legend. Premature ejaculation if you ask me, just like with most other things here with the UK media. If he flops in Spain, that documentary looks more embarrassing than it already is.

Just a question... do you think that the German media are wanking themselves furiously and making documentaries about Ozil now that he's become the most expensive German player in history?

Wilbur

Banned
Iniesta is in the 80s, dude. It's safe to say that they're fucking clueless.

Joking aside, who cares? There's no science behind it, it's just a popularity contest.

Barzagli, forever forgotten innit Wilbs?

Barzagli <3 classiest motherfucker in the league after Pirlo and carlos estevez

I love that B(ig) B(lack) C(ock), Forza JUVE

Yen

Loving the optimism.

Don't think Wisdom will be going out on loan with Johnson injured, but there's still a month left for Football League loans if Johnson gets fit within the month.

Think Ryan McLaughlin could be a top talent. He'd be starting RB for Northern Ireland right now - says a lot for (Russia-slaying) NI - but he's not keen on playing for them, which is a pity.

Not sure about Tex. He must be 21 or thereabouts and missed a year of development through injury, and plays in a position where there's plenty of strength in the first team. I'm not sure whether he has enough to his game to play in a different position.

Wilbur

Banned

Think you could get all 18 points if you don't suffer from complacency and let what you've done so far go to your head.

You can't go wrong with Pogba.

he's an honorary Juve bro anyway

EDIT:

MORGAN FREEMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

with an Oscar!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-eMd6bQdJByI/T8kRP3saNKI/AAAAAAAACMI/xOLsktHC0B4/s320/Morgan-Freeman-4.jpg[/IM][/QUOTE]

forza inter

[quote="KidA Seven, post: 80016913"]You're excited over that mega bullshit? God damn, what will they come up with next?[/QUOTE]

I wasn't at first but I've warmed to it the more they've shown, i.e. only using one at a time, and some of them are pretty cool.

[quote="GHG, post: 80016917"]Thierry Henry:

Gareth Bale:

Yes Bale has won a number of individual awards, but football is a team sport and in the grand scheme of things they mean nothing. Just ask Van Persie how he felt winning the PFA and Golden boot awards in his last season with us. Holla at me once Bale's list compares to Henry's then we can talk about making a REAL documentary for him, not some half hour pile of shite about a young mans upbringing and school days.

The documentary should have come after everyone has had the opportunity to see how he gets on in Spain and if he becomes a true sporting legend. Premature ejaculation if you ask me, just like with most other things here with the UK media. If he flops in Spain, that documentary looks more embarrassing than it already is.

Just a question... do you think that the German media are wanking themselves furiously and making documentaries about Ozil now that he's become the most expensive German player in history?[/QUOTE]

No one gives a fuck because he's just gone for half of what Bale went for and he went from the world's biggest club to England's fourth biggest.

GHG

Think you could get all 18 points if you don't suffer from complacency and let what you've done so far go to your head.

forza inter

I wasn't at first but I've warmed to it the more they've shown, i.e. only using one at a time, and some of them are pretty cool.

No one gives a fuck because he's just gone for half of what Bale went for and he went from the world's biggest club to England's fourth biggest.

Actually Wikipedia just told me that Benfica are the worlds biggest club:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forbes'_list_of_the_most_valuable_football_clubs

Lightning

Banned
Is Zelalem training with the first team? I can't wait to see him in the League Cup.
Such fantastic news that he's training with the first team though. He could learn plenty from Ozil, Arteta and Cazorla. Wenger is so good with young talent and the fact he rates Zelalem so highly gives me great hope for the player.

GHG

Such fantastic news that he's training with the first team though. He could learn plenty from Ozil, Arteta and Cazorla. Wenger is so good with young talent and the fact he rates Zelalem so highly gives me great hope for the player.

This kid is the real deal IMO. Looks class. I reckon he may get a league debut if we are cruising in a game at some point this season.

Sam Wallace and Johnathon Wilson are good.

If you want someone reliable on MUFC, Mark Ogden is probably the most reliable of all the mainstream journalists.

Cheers, just followed them on the twitters

Sorry, I didn't know you wanted United-centric ones.

Thought it was just a general 'who are the reliable journos'.

Barney's football stuff is hilarious, you should trawl through his library and give it a read.

Oh it was just that, I was just thinking maybe one of those writes more about football in general.

I'll check Barney's stuff now.

Edit: what's wrong with his titles? flaccid Chelsea? Is that even an okay thing to say?

jordisok

All this talk of Rodgers and the young players is great but I've seen him lay blame for at least 2 defeats with the young squads he played!?? think he gets bit too caught up in the 'THIS IS LIVERPOOL' lark.

K1LLER7

Guys, any ideas of what to give Wilbury for his new avatar?

Was thinking of giving him the pic of Arnie's Mate :p

Bacon, what you got?

Arnie

All this talk of Rodgers and the young players is great but I've seen him lay blame for at least 2 defeats with the young squads he played!?? think he gets bit too caught up in the 'THIS IS LIVERPOOL' lark.

If you cannot mentally separate having faith in young players and improving their game, and ultimately losing points because you're having to rely on these young players too often, then I don't have time before I eventually plan to sleep to fix this.

There's knowing and trusting what a young player can do, but Rodgers is the first to know that you shouldn't rely on that. As soon as we got the two attacking reinforcements in January Sterling and Suso were back on the periphery, as they should be at such an age.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Very touching message on Matri's FB :(

probably mega evolution level of dc old but milan forgot(!) to nominate Niang!?!

wut
>
Mino Raiola:"I'm upset over Niang's exclusion from CL list, but I'm also sorry for Gandini, I know him & hold him in high regard. The truth is it was Allegri who didn't insert Niang amongst the 25 (on CL List). This is an objective fact"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom