• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hieberrr

Ughhhhh Toronto FC... FML, man. 7 fucking years of complete bullshit. If our league had promo/relegations, we'd be in tier fucking 0.

Wilbur

Banned
Saints Row 3 is proper shit. I can't believe people said this was their game of the year.

I loved it for an hour as I ran around the city as a fat green naked woman clotheslining people, but then I got bored real quick

It's death penalty to those who insult or mock the great Arteta!

I'm not mocking it haha, I rate Arteta. But calling Fellaini an Everton reject is calling Arteta an Everton reject.

Get your wulf on the leash, Lightning xoxo

Wilbur

Banned
Ughhhhh Toronto FC... FML, man. 7 fucking years of complete bullshit. If our league had promo/relegations, we'd be in tier fucking 0.

Do you play in the MLS?

Move to the Canadian league, win everything, have anal sex with drunken fans, ???, success

Salazar

Can't fucking wait for Arsenal to get stitched up by a midtable team

Nev and Carragher will spend 20 minutes hanging shit on Ozil and Wenger

Lightning's brain will leak out of his right nostril

Lightning

Banned
Can't fucking wait for Arsenal to get stitched up by a midtable team

Nev and Carragher will spend 20 minutes hanging shit on Ozil and Wenger

Lightning's brain will leak out of his right nostril
Ozil is going to shit all over Aussie brain! This is going to be a glorious season where Ozil will lead us over Spurs £100m worth of incoming talent and that Lolerpool crowd while Moyes leads United right into the Europa league!

valeo

and Cazorla isn't anywhere near as effective over a season as Rooney and Kagawa.

Oh wow. Kagawa has yet to even prove himself in the premier league, let alone prove that he's better than Santi. Quite funny the Shinji hype in this thread.

Wellington Phoenix should do this, stop playing with the aussies.

Auckland City would kick their ass though.

CITY TIL I DIE etc.

Oh great, you're one of the Auckland City knitting circle. Explains a lot.

Wilbur

Banned
Oh wow. Kagawa has yet to even prove himself in the premier league, let alone prove that he's better than Santi. Quite funny the Shinji hype in this thread.

Oh great, you're one of the Auckland City knitting circle. Explains a lot.

Meanwhile Kagawa sits on three league titles in the last three years, two of which he was an integral part of, while Santi wastes his best years playing for a team because Mistah Wengy can say 'pls pass the ball to bendtner' in eleven languages.

I never understood the posters who never partook in the fun things that happen in the thread or the reasoned discussion about the sport, that never have anything constructive to say and normally just appear to take shots at things other posters say :lol. You and avaya spring to mind.

valeo

Meanwhile Kagawa sits on three league titles in the last three years, two of which he was an integral part of, while Santi wastes his best years playing for a team because Mistah Wengy can say 'pls pass the ball to bendtner' in eleven languages.

Sorry, but that's irrelevant when talking about effectiveness in the premier league. I have no doubt that Kagawa is a good player - but the fact is he hasn't been given a decent shot at Man Utd yet and we really can't judge him properly. Santi, on the other hand, has consistently been one of the best players stats-wise and in relation to his importance to the team.

And to be fair it seems like you are the main shit-stirring instigator in this thread.

Wilbur

Banned
Sorry, but that's irrelevant when talking about effectiveness in the premier league. I have no doubt that Kagawa is a good player - but the fact is he hasn't been given a decent shot at Man Utd yet and we really can't judge him properly. Santi, on the other hand, has consistently been one of the best players stats-wise and in relation to his importance to the team.

And to be fair it seems like you are the main shit-stirring instigator in this thread.

It's not irrelevant. Has Kagawa proven his best to the team yet? A million miles away from it? Has he contributed to the winning of a title? Yes.

For all Cazorla's stats, it amounts to nothing except fourth place.

I'm not going to argue Kagawa's been better, or is better. That's the irrelevant conversation.

django > giroud

I do my fair share of shit-stirring. I also stick around when we don't talk about football, when we talk about football and have reasoned and measured discussions about it.

I think in the last few days I've only noticed you do drive by bitter or passive-aggressive posts.

Lightning

Banned

I don't think it's Kagawa hype in the thread though. We know from his Dortmund days he's a very good player so most are just anxious for him to get his chance.

He's not better than Cazorla though. That's BS.

valeo

What was Piers Morgan reaction to Ozil signing? Did he drown in jizz?

I was hoping we wouldn't sign anyone just so Piers would throw himself off a bridge. My happiness from not having read any more Piers tweets would've outweighed the depression caused by lack of signings.

I know everyone thinks Osama was our worst supporter - but Piers takes the cake.

Wilbur

Banned
Sorry ManUtd bros, Santi > Shinjury.

Certainly in their time in the PL.

I don't think it's Kagawa hype in the thread though. We know from his Dortmund days he's a very good player so most are just anxious for him to get his chance.

He's not better than Cazorla though. That's BS.

Agreed with FootballFan, not sure about who is better outside of Shinji and Cazorla overall. At the top of their game, its a difficult one.

:lol See how high Ramos and Pique are too? wtf.

And is Vidic really still better than all those guys behind him? I don't think so, maybe Man U bros can correct me if I'm wrong.

Vidic is a god. He only had a bad season last season due to injuries. He started off shaky and it was due to a lingering injury. When he came back healthy last season we were so much better defensively.

Wilbur is wrong when it comes to him having no mistakes so far in the season though. He gave a bad pass to de Gea in the Liverpool game. Only mistake he's had in 3 games.

I was hoping we wouldn't sign anyone just so Piers would throw himself off a bridge. My happiness from not having read any more Piers tweets would've outweighed the depression caused by lack of signings.

I know everyone thinks Osama was our worst supporter - but Piers takes the cake.

I'd absolutely rather have Osama Bin Laden in the world than Piers Morgan

valeo

It's not irrelevant. Has Kagawa proven his best to the team yet? A million miles away from it? Has he contributed to the winning of a title? Yes.

For all Cazorla's stats, it amounts to nothing except fourth place.

I'm not going to argue Kagawa's been better, or is better. That's the irrelevant conversation.

django > giroud

I do my fair share of shit-stirring. I also stick around when we don't talk about football, when we talk about football and have reasoned and measured discussions about it.

I think in the last few days I've only noticed you do drive by bitter or passive-aggressive posts.

Depends what you're trying to say - you said that Kagawa and Rooney were more effective over a season than Cazorla. I don't know how you can say that when Kagawa hasn't even been favoured to start over a full premier league season while Cazorla drove an admittedly pretty average team to 4th place. Dortmund were big spenders and he had a lot of quality around him - at Man U, right now he has less so (except for RvP and Rooney) and he seems to be struggling with that.

For mine, place Cazorla in any team - no matter who is around him - and he would still produce something. That is a great player.

/arsenalbias

And the bitter and drive-by posts are because I keep seeing really stupid comments pop up. Then I find out they're Man Utd fans and everything is explained ;)

Wilbur

Banned
Depends what you're trying to say - you said that Kagawa and Rooney were more effective over a season than Cazorla. I don't know how you can say that when Kagawa hasn't even been favoured to start over a full premier league season while Cazorla drove an admittedly pretty average team to 4th place. Dortmund were big spenders and he had a lot of quality around him

the two bolded sentences

a) when did I say that? genuinely asking, if I did I can't remember.

b) no they weren't :lol, Kagawa cost 350k in 2010, and the 2011/12 season they bought Perisic for 5m and Gundogan for 4m. Big spenders?

Lightning

Banned
Depends what you're trying to say - you said that Kagawa and Rooney were more effective over a season than Cazorla. I don't know how you can say that when Kagawa hasn't even been favoured to start over a full premier league season while Cazorla drove an admittedly pretty average team to 4th place. Dortmund were big spenders and he had a lot of quality around him - at Man U, right now he has less so (except for RvP and Rooney) and he seems to be struggling with that.

For mine, place Cazorla in any team - no matter who is around him - and he would still produce something. That is a great player.

/arsenalbias

And the bitter and drive-by posts are because I keep seeing really stupid comments pop up. Then I find out they're Man Utd fans and everything is explained ;)
You need not worry. Mesut Ozil will make United regret not signing him! Then we will be the ones having the last laugh.

/arsenalbias

1. Cazorla has proven to be better in the PL. Kagawa had the injury and doesn't play in his best position. He will never be at his best if they continue to play him on the wing. And even if he was playing at his best it's a toss up between him and Cazorla as Cazorla is really good. Kagawa is the better scorer while Cazorla is more influential.
2. Dortmund were not big spenders. What on earth are you talking about?
3. Arsenal fans gave birth to the 2 sided triangles. You guys lose.

omgkitty

/arsenalbias

Dortmund are the opposite of big spenders. They work a lot like Arsenal and only spend what money they have and they put a lot of faith in younger players who can be bought cheaply. Dortmund was in serious debt up until just a few years ago. They only spend within their means.

Lightning

Banned
Dortmund are the opposite of big spenders. They work a lot like Arsenal and only spend what money they have and they put a lot of faith in younger players who can be bought cheaply. Dortmund was in serious debt up until just a few years ago. They only spend within their means.
I'm guessing he got Dortmund mixed up with Bayern. Dortmund are a fantastically run club, we're going to kick their ass though. I have the faith!

omgkitty

I'm guessing he got Dortmund mixed up with Bayern. Dortmund are a fantastically run club, we're going to kick their ass though. I have the faith!

Makes me disappointed we have to play them. If we're talking about 2nd teams, Dortmund would definitely be that for me. They remind me a lot of Arsenal, and Klopp reminds me a bit of Arsene in his philosophies and the way he wants his team to play, though I think he's a little more outgoing and brash than Arsene. It's part of the reason I would love to see him at Arsenal when Wenger does eventually leave / retire.

omgkitty

What does Bayern have to do with Shinji though?

He was talking about how Shinji was surrounded by expensive players at Dortmund, and Lightning assumed that maybe he was talking about Bayern. I assume he was talking about Dortmund but didn't realize that all that talent was worth so much because of how they played and not because of how much they were bought for.

Keep in mind that Shinji was pretty good most of the time he was on the pitch last season. He just wasn't given that much chances because SAF felt he isn't experienced enough against the more physical nature of EPL's football teams. Then again, one of the best chances he got, he scored a fucking hat trick.

He was talking about how Shinji was surrounded by expensive players at Dortmund, and Lightning assumed that maybe he was talking about Bayern. I assume he was talking about Dortmund but didn't realize that all that talent was worth so much because of how they played and not because of how much they were bought for.

That would make sense, but it's unfair to Shinji. I would bet he's unwilling to apply that logic towards other Dortmund players when rating them. Shinji was good in both seasons. Both seasons had a different main striker and a different midfielder pairing with Sahin and Gundogan swapping places. Gotze was young in Shinji's first season there as well. The only difference is that Shinji picked up a big injury in the Asia cup.

Lightning

Banned
Pretty much. High transfer fees and Germany = Bayern and only Bayern. That's why but it could be because of how good Dortmund's players are an assumption was made they were brought for a lot of money.

omgkitty

Pretty much. High transfer fees and Germany = Bayern and only Bayern. That's why but it could be because of good Dortmund's players are they were brought for a lot of money.

The only players in the current squad to have broken the 10m mark to be brought in are Reus, Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan, and all of those were in the last two seasons. They've since sold off Gotze, Sahin, Barrios and Kagawa, making them a lot more money then they've spent. Needless to say, their squad is worth exponentially more money then they've spent on it. If you take their net spend and compare it to Bayern's, it's almost stupid how well they've done in the last few seasons, especially to beat out Bayern in two seasons to the title.

Just goes to show you money isn't everything, and it also says that even though Arsenal get a lot of shit, we overachieve for the amount of money we spend.

The Thiago stuff is a bit silly really; Moyeezus comes across fucking autistic with his approach to scouting. If it works, it works. But then someone with such an extensive way of going about things then shouldn't be making signings like Andy van der Meyde and Bilyaletdinov. If he can take a punt on that transfer he can take a punt on Thiago (although the Pep factor was huge so I don't resent us missing out on him, same with Fabregas and Barca).

I'm not worried about Shinji really yet. He should have at least been on the bench but Taylor's obviously got some pretty good connections so I trust Moyes on that so far.

It's obvious spin. Woodward woke up to some nasty headlines and he wants to change the story. My guess is yes, perhaps Moyes wanted a closer look before parting with Ashley Young money for a player at least doubly talented (I know, I don't understand either), but United had him on the back-burner while pursuing Cesc first, trying to make sure the deal would be concrete; Bayern nabbing Thiago snapped them out of their complacency and into those low-ball bids. Too bad the encouragement to bid on Cesc was likely a fabrication from the start.

And Moyes obviously doesn't fancy Evra or Shinji much. It would be incredible if he doesn't have a handle on how Kagawa plays by now. But the hierarchy wants to keep the squad together. I'd be surprised to see Evra still at the club by the end of next summer. Kagawa would have to overcome whatever prejudice Moyes has in his mind this year; I don't see him willing to sit on the bench another season.

Doesn't matter, he's under 21 baby

But has Adnan signed that contract yet? :/

GorillaJu

Kagawa v Cazorla is a tough one.

Kagawa is in a team that isn't built to utilize his better attributes, and Cazorla is 5 years older and has the composure and cleverness that comes from experience

Cazorla is more of an advanced playmaker, and Kagawa is more of a forward. Where Kagawa prefers to keep the ball in tight, controlled passes and moving at a high tempo, Cazorla is adept at finding and creating space for teammates through vision and perfectly weighted through balls. Kagawa prefers to make opportunites and space by dribbling between players, while Cazorla would rather thread the ball in behind them. Cazorla finishes chances by appearing in open space, then firing, while Kagawa can burst through 5 players in a crowd and sniff out the corner of the goal.

Both of them create and finish chances – but who is better is really difficult to discern as on their days they're exceptional, the two of them.

If I had to choose one I'd take Kagawa because he is better in pressing, is more exciting to watch because of his speed and energy, and has age on his side.

I personally think he'd be perfect in a 4-3-2-1 alongside Coutinho behind Sturridge, but even if United sold him it'd never ever be to Liverpool :James Franco gif

omgkitty

I personally think he'd be perfect in a 4-3-2-1 alongside Coutinho behind Sturridge, but even if United sold him it'd never ever be to Liverpool :James Franco gif

Let's put it this way, if he doesn't get the time this season, I'm almost 100% positive he will be back at Dortmund next season.

GorillaJu

Let's put it this way, if he doesn't get the time this season, I'm almost 100% positive he will be back at Dortmund next season.

Doubtful. He'll more likely go to Spain. Atlético wanted him this Summer and they'll probably be back in for him in the following transfer windows as well.

Kagawa is too ambitious to go backward – no matter how much he loves Dortmund I just can't see him returning. It would be admitting failure.

Does Daniel Taylor have anything in his repertoire aside from Man Utd apologies and excuses? He's a one trick pony. How he became their chief football writer is a mystery the likes of which the world has never before witnessed.

jtb

Banned
Doubtful. He'll more likely go to Spain. Atlético wanted him this Summer and they'll probably be back in for him in the following transfer windows as well.

Kagawa is too ambitious to go backward – no matter how much he loves Dortmund I just can't see him returning. It would be admitting failure.

Does Daniel Taylor have anything in his repertoire aside from Man Utd apologies and excuses? He's a one trick pony. How he became their chief football writer is a mystery the likes of which the world has never before witnessed.

Well put. Can't stand him. On occasion, he's also a Redknapp apologist—but I guess who in the media isn't?

Kagawa v Cazorla is a tough one.

Kagawa is in a team that isn't built to utilize his better attributes, and Cazorla is 5 years older and has the composure and cleverness that comes from experience

Cazorla is more of an advanced playmaker, and Kagawa is more of a forward. Where Kagawa prefers to keep the ball in tight, controlled passes and moving at a high tempo, Cazorla is adept at finding and creating space for teammates through vision and perfectly weighted through balls. Kagawa prefers to make opportunites and space by dribbling between players, while Cazorla would rather thread the ball in behind them. Cazorla finishes chances by appearing in open space, then firing, while Kagawa can burst through 5 players in a crowd and sniff out the corner of the goal.

Both of them create and finish chances – but who is better is really difficult to discern as on their days they're exceptional, the two of them.

If I had to choose one I'd take Kagawa because he is better in pressing, is more exciting to watch because of his speed and energy, and has age on his side.

I feel like Shinji lost some of his pace. He used to be much more of a dribbler with Cerezo and Dortmund. I think he plays it safe with United's preference to give the ball to the wingers. I'm pretty sure he said something like that in an interview in the past.

Salazar

JHAUIH3.jpg

What. Atletico or any non-Barca/Madrid Spanish side is a step down from Dortmund.

And Klopp made a check with Shinji's agent during the summer. If he's not getting first team football, that will probably be his first destination. I wouldn't see it as admitting failure either. Many players have their best spells and most success after not fitting in at 'big' clubs - Sneijder and Eto'o in Inter's 2010 side come to mind.

Lightning

Banned
What. Atletico or any non-Barca/Madrid Spanish side is a step down from Dortmund.

And Klopp made a check with Shinji's agent during the summer. If he's not getting first team football, that will probably be his first destination. I wouldn't see it as admitting failure either. Many players have their best spells and most success after not fitting in at 'big' clubs - Sneijder and Eto'o in Inter's 2010 side come to mind.
And Shinji rejected us to join you. He would have been great in an Arsenal shirt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom