• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

omgkitty

Can't see Arsenal second at all. Squad is too thin.

I do think 4th/5th/6th is too close to call at the moment, but if I had to put money on it then Arse/Spurs/Pool in that order. We'll be third. Chelsea will win 2-0 in every game and come first. City second.

Palace definitely for relegation. Hull and Cardiff have impressed me early on but I still think the former will be going down, and then West Brom, Cardiff and Sunderland are in the most trouble after that.

This is the hardest year to call in a while. Most squads have made good additions (lol Man U), but with the change in coaching in all of the top teams except two, it's hard to see how the cards will fall. Just about every team in the top 4 or 5 could pull it out and come on top this year. Honestly believe someone will lose big this season that nobody expected and miss out on the top 4.

Linius

Am I alone in preferring Bioshock: Infinite to The Last of Us?

Haven't played Bioshock Infinite yet but TLoU will be pretty tough to beat I guess. Haven't finished it yet though...

My predictions for my own GOTY top 5 list (my opinion guys, don't shoot me) in random order: Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokemon X/Y, GTA V, The Last of Us and 'unknown'.
UEFA Elite Coaches Forum attendee list:

Arsène Wenger (Arsenal)
Antonio Conte (Juventus)
Manuel Pellegrini (Manchester City)
Paulo Fonseca (Porto)
Carlo Ancelotti (Real Madrid)
Laurent Blanc (Paris Saint-Germain)
Jens Keller (FC Schalke 04)
Neil Lennon (Celtic)
Mircea Lucescu (Shakhtar Donetsk)
Miroslav Djukić (Valencia)
Murat Yakin (FC Basel)
Jorge Jesus (Benfica)
Rafael Benítez (Napoli)
Vladimir Petković (Lazio)
Kurban Berdyev (Rubin Kazan)
André Villas-Boas (Tottenham Hotspur)

What's elite about this list? :lol

Good shit. Hopefully he can get his head right and start playing as well as we know he can.

Gerrard's said in an interview he wants to be the next Liverpool manager lol. Has he started his coaching badges yet? A lot of players his age do them in the off season don't they?

I can't see Gerrard as a good manager for some reason

Yen

Good shit. Hopefully he can get his head right and start playing as well as we know he can.

Gerrard's said in an interview he wants to be the next Liverpool manager lol. Has he started his coaching badges yet? A lot of players his age do them in the off season don't they?

Not sure. Carragher has, but if he was Liverpool manager, I imagine he would play similar to Gerard Houillier - rather negative, 442, but he would only sign English players and only promote scousers from the academy.

pappe

My predictions

Chelsea
United
City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal

Chelsea have a complete squad with a great manager.
Uniteds future completely boils down to the way manager uses our players. Which is pretty hard to predict as he has ignored Kagawa and persisted with Giggs. Its so easy to see him play either Fellaini or Carrick which would be idiotic but Moyes.

Arsenal will crash and burn their squad is too thin and a when they have to play 3 matches a week they will be screwed not to mention they have not found a solution to their defensive problems.

Liverpool and Spurs have had great transfer windows and its pretty difficult to find weaknesses in their squad. No distraction of Europa league for Liverpool will help them just nudge ahead of Spurs.

City have a great squad but they still have not learnt to play as a team and that can cause their down fall. Not to mention their manager is not someone who exudes confidence either.

Carbonox

My predictions for my own GOTY top 5 list (my opinion guys, don't shoot me) in random order: Animal Crossing New Leaf, Pokemon X/Y, GTA V, The Last of Us and 'unknown'.

If I had to pick my GOTY top 5, it would be:

1. Metal Gear Rising
2. The Last of Us
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Resident Evil Revelations (PS360 versions came out this year)
5. DmC: Devil May Cry

Hmph, seems I only bought 5 games this year so far. :lol

Got 8 on preorder for the remainder of the year though. D:

I just saw the Hannibal season finale. God damn. I have no words.

Absolutely incredible show. Blew me away and is my favourite show of the past few years.

jordisok

My predictions

Chelsea
United
City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal

City have a great squad but they still have not learnt to play as a team and that can cause their down fall. Not to mention their manager is not someone who exudes confidence either.

What about Moyes?

Salvadora

Why do we keep being called out for defensive problems
KuGsj.gif

Wilbur

Banned
This is the hardest year to call in a while. Most squads have made good additions (lol Man U), but with the change in coaching in all of the top teams except two, it's hard to see how the cards will fall. Just about every team in the top 4 or 5 could pull it out and come on top this year. Honestly believe someone will lose big this season that nobody expected and miss out on the top 4.

I think there's pretty huge ramifications for the two that miss out on CL this year.

Liverpool have the least to lose but they could hit a glass ceiling in terms of who they can attract to get CL and Suarez would probably leave.

Spurs have bought a lot of players who arguably should be playing CL football and will need to justify the money spent on them.

Arsenal have finally spent money and need to prove they can do more than stumble over the line, while Wenger's future still isn't clear.

Chelsea and City have to finish in the top 4 to justify the money spent in their teams and because the two new managers were brought in as success guarantors.

United have lost their most influential figure ever and by missing out they'd have less pull than they did this summer.

It's going to be awful for the two teams that miss out. Maybe not Liverpool like I say, but still deflating.

omgkitty

My predictions

Chelsea
United
City
Liverpool
Spurs
Arsenal

Chelsea have a complete squad with a great manager.
Uniteds future completely boils down to the way manager uses our players. Which is pretty hard to predict as he has ignored Kagawa and persisted with Giggs. Its so easy to see him play either Fellaini or Carrick which would be idiotic but Moyes.

Arsenal will crash and burn their squad is too thin and a when they have to play 3 matches a week they will be screwed not to mention they have not found a solution to their defensive problems.

Liverpool and Spurs have had great transfer windows and its pretty difficult to find weaknesses in their squad. No distraction of Europa league for Liverpool will help them just nudge ahead of Spurs.

How many times do we have to tell you people that Arsenal had the 2nd best defensive record in the league last season with the same number of defenders we have now?

GQman2121

Banned
Requested that Moyes Boys invite for the Rockstar Crew. I'm really excited for this online game. The Last Of Us was the first game I've been into online since like....Modern Warfare 3, but its run its course since I've completed the Fire Flies and Hunters run and I'm ready for something else.

Since finishing TLoU I've beaten Tomb Raider, and attempted to play Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution. All three of those games are dogshit. Just terrible, terrible dogshit.

Wilbur

Banned
KuGsj.gif

It's not defensive problems per se in that your team can't defend, but say Mertesacker gets injured and he's out for half the season. Are you really comfortable with Kos and Vermaelen as your long term centre backs?

Linius

If I had to pick my GOTY top 5, it would be:

1. Metal Gear Rising
2. The Last of Us
3. Bioshock Infinite
4. Resident Evil Revelations (PS360 versions came out this year)
5. DmC: Devil May Cry

Hmph, seems I only bought 5 games this year so far. :lol

Got 8 on preorder for the remainder of the year though. D:

Holy shit :lol

I bought this year: Tomb Raider, Luigi's Mansion 2, Animal Crossing New Leaf, Donkey Country Returns 3DS, Monster Hunter 3DS (free Nintendo promotion) and The Last of Us. So that's five retail games as well (not counting Mon Hunter).

Planning on: GTA V (already paid), Watchdogs, AC: IV, Pokémon X/Y, Mario & Luigi Dream Team Bros, Bioshock Infinite (maybe). In the end it depends on the amount of time I could invest to actually play the games what I'm buying.

Requested that Moyes Boys invite for the Rockstar Crew. I'm really excited for this online game. The Last Of Us was the first game I've been into online since like....Modern Warfare 3, but its run its course since I've completed the Fire Flies and Hunters run and I'm ready for something else.

Since finishing TLoU I've beaten Tomb Raider, and attempted to play Max Payne 3 and Hitman Absolution. All three of those games are dogshit. Just terrible, terrible dogshit.

You're calling Tomb Raider dogshit? Those are the words of a crazy person, care to elaborate?

pappe

What about Moyes?
Thats what I said abt United as well. It all depends on Moyes. United have a great squad we just needed a good Dm to help our defense out. Now we have Fellaini but Moyes is so unpredictable and the way he has frozen out Kagawa its so easy to see him play either Carrick and Fellaini with Giggs and completely screw us over.

Carbonox

I seriously need to get a 3DS as I want the new Pokemon games so bad. Mega Charizard is calling for me to carry out its prostate exams.

Hopefully they will announce a 3DS/PokemonXY bundle.

Edit: I swear I'm the only one who loves Hitman Absolution. Pretty much Platinumed it. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Never played the previous games though.

omgkitty

I think there's pretty huge ramifications for the two that miss out on CL this year.

Liverpool have the least to lose but they could hit a glass ceiling in terms of who they can attract to get CL and Suarez would probably leave.

Spurs have bought a lot of players who arguably should be playing CL football and will need to justify the money spent on them.

Arsenal have finally spent money and need to prove they can do more than stumble over the line, while Wenger's future still isn't clear.

Chelsea and City have to finish in the top 4 to justify the money spent in their teams and because the two new managers were brought in as success guarantors.

United have lost their most influential figure ever and by missing out they'd have less pull than they did this summer.

It's going to be awful for the two teams that miss out. Maybe not Liverpool like I say, but still deflating.

I think if it's Liverpool and Spurs who miss out, it won't be as big as some of the others, but I'm almost positive a team who's had CL football for the last few seasons is going to miss out this year.

sohois

I think Liverpool would sell Suarez regardless of whether they qualify for the CL or not, even if he had a change of heart. They're just not going to want to keep someone like that around. Without CL he would just leave anyway so they might as well get some money out of him, with CL they could bring in a proper replacement.

Hence I agree Liverpool themselves wouldn't struggle too much on missing out; the bigger issue for me is that I could see the club who tie up 4th spot just blowing away the transfer business of the other teams and bringing in 2 top class players, essentially creating a new 'big 4' for a few years.

Clegg

1) United (Naturally)
2) City (Too many quality players not to do well)
3) Liverpool (Dancing Queen)
4) Spurs ( Sexy manager)
5) Chelsea (Shit team)
6) Arsenal (Shit manager)

Salvadora

Because your defenders aren't that good. Did you forget the 2012 season? Or the 2011 season? You're going to need more than 1 season to wash out your reputation.
I just find it strange. United conceded the most goals out of all the top four sides last season yet nothing is said.

If people say "Arsenal need more defensive depth", sure, but not knowing how to defend tends to be the most vocal criticism of us and it isn't even applicable today. Who cares about the 2012 or 2011 seasons, it isn't relevant to Arsenal today.

We have much bigger problems than that, and that will be the barrier to us jumping up the table.

I seriously need to get a 3DS as I want the new Pokemon games so bad. Mega Charizard is calling for me to carry out its prostate exams.

I just went to look at price for it because I wanted to play 999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors, then I realized the game isn't even released in Europe. :(

Then I went to look at GTAV to waste my money on instead and saw all the barf worthy SPECIAL EDITION EXCLUSIVE DLC.

confuziz

Banned
Games I have bought this year (PC/PS3) : DmC, Crysis 3, Tomb Raider, Giana Sisters, Bioshock Infinite, TLOU, AntiChamber (so awesome) and Mark of the Ninja

Planning to buy (PS4) : Killzone, FIFA 14, AC 4 (perhaps), Watch_Dogs (perhaps)

DmC and TLOU are my personal GOTY

pappe

Wat. Arsenal will finish above utd this season.i think possibly third or fourth but they should get top 4 easily. You're spot on about chelsea however.
How many times do we have to tell you people that Arsenal had the 2nd best defensive record in the league last season with the same number of defenders we have now?

you cant go into the season with just 2 competent CBs and 1 out and out striker and expect to finish top 4 and go deep in UCL. For 10 games run its fine. Not for a full season. When merte and Giroud have to play 3 times a week in UCL and league it will not be easy for then physically and could easily fuck them up. It is possible for them to do it. But I just dobt think they will be able to do it.

GQman2121

Banned
I actually really like Arsenal in the league now. Spurs are still not quite there and I'm not sold on Liverpool yet either. Big win over United aside, I still think they're out of the top four by January.

Chelsea
City
Arsenal
United

Is how I see it.

sohois

KuGsj.gif

I just find it strange. United conceded the most goals out of all the top four sides last season yet nothing is said.

If people say "Arsenal need more defensive depth", sure, but not knowing how to defend tends to be the most vocal criticism of us and it isn't even applicable today. Who cares about the 2012 or 2011 seasons, it isn't relevant to Arsenal today.

We have much bigger problems than that, and that will be the barrier to us jumping up the table.

How many times do I have to say (well actually this is the first, but I feel like i should have said it 10 times before this) that Arsenal fans really ought to have a better understanding of statistics - or to be more precise, randomness - before they start throwing around '2nd best in the league' like it has some sort of significant meaning. It doesn't.

Wilbur

Banned
Can't wait for GTA and Pokemon, I really can't. They're both gonna be my GOTYs, I feel it. TLOU was great tho. I have no desire to play Bioshock Infinite because I thought OG Bioshock was a gorgeous looking game with an amazing first half before the already average gameplay got stale and shit went downhill

That's because of 3 reasons. United had Vidic out. When Vidic came back, United's defense stopped being a joke last season. It was also due to the midfield. They provided horrible protection and teams would often get to run at the defense. Finally, Evra. He was slightly better last season compared to the 2012 season, but still not good. It really was a joke for large parts of the season though.

The last 3 seasons, United gave up 43, 33, and 37 goals.

In the last 3 seasons Arsenal gave up 37, 49, and 43. That 49 goal season is probably still stuck in the minds of people.

omgkitty

How many times do I have to say (well actually this is the first, but I feel like i should have said it 10 times before this) that Arsenal fans really ought to have a better understanding of statistics - or to be more precise, randomness - before they start throwing around '2nd best in the league' like it has some sort of significant meaning. It doesn't.

The 2nd best quote is completely based on statistics and goals allowed. We're not just making shit up.

Salvadora

It gives an indication of our current defensive situation.

Of course one stat isn't the be all end all, but we've already kept three clean sheets this season. Coupled with the last season, that isn't a fluke. Arsenal's main problems are creativity and in front of goal.

Can't wait for GTA and Pokemon, I really can't. They're both gonna be my GOTYs, I feel it. TLOU was great tho. I have no desire to play Bioshock Infinite because I thought OG Bioshock was a gorgeous looking game with an amazing first half before the already average gameplay got stale and shit went downhill

The gameplay didn't get stale quite as fast in infinite imo, but it sure also quickly turned into a wave based FPS with some average shooting mechanics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom