• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't wait for GTA and Pokemon, I really can't. They're both gonna be my GOTYs, I feel it. TLOU was great tho. I have no desire to play Bioshock Infinite because I thought OG Bioshock was a gorgeous looking game with an amazing first half before the already average gameplay got stale and shit went downhill

GTA is gonna be so fucking fun.

Some of you cunts had better be up for doing the serious stuff online like the missions on the odd occasion, as well as fucking about in free roam

sohois

The 2nd best quote is completely based on statistics and goals allowed. We're not just making shit up.

Yes, I know, what I'm saying is that that statistic is mostly just noise and doesn't really shift the outcome of "How good is Arsenal's defence" by much at all. It's has little relevance in the discussion.

GTA is gonna be so fucking fun.

Some of you cunts had better be up for doing the serious stuff online like the missions on the odd occasion, as well as fucking about in free roam

I would if PSN wasn't so fucking shitty to communicate through. Fuck I hate that shit, even sucks with official shitty headset, kind of glad dog ate it ate that piece of shit.

Can't wait for GTA and Pokemon, I really can't. They're both gonna be my GOTYs, I feel it. TLOU was great tho. I have no desire to play Bioshock Infinite because I thought OG Bioshock was a gorgeous looking game with an amazing first half before the already average gameplay got stale and shit went downhill
I wasted 40 quid on Infinite. Good game that's fun for one playthrough.

Then you'll never touch it again.

omgkitty

That's because of 3 reasons. United had Vidic out. When Vidic came back, United's defense stopped being a joke last season. It was also due to the midfield. They provided horrible protection and teams would often get to run at the defense. Finally, Evra. He was slightly better last season compared to the 2012 season, but still not good. It really was a joke for large parts of the season though.

The last 3 seasons, United gave up 43, 33, and 37 goals.

In the last 3 seasons Arsenal gave up 37, 49, and 43. That 49 goal season is probably still stuck in the minds of people.

Also if you look at this season, Ramsey and Wilshere are starting to prove they can play together, and takes some ease off of Arteta having to play every match. We also signed Flamini who can cover defensively. With the defenders we have now, we have learned that Sagna can now play CB, and do it quite well, and Jenkinson has improved. We also have Monreal who we didn't have in the first half of last season when we were relying on fucking Santos. Despite the fact that we are short, outside of Miquel, who only played in a handful of games last season, none of the other defenders we let go played at all last season. Do we still need another CB? Yes. Does that affect how good our defense is right now, no.

bud23

Can't wait for GTA and Pokemon, I really can't. They're both gonna be my GOTYs, I feel it.

sOOn.

DzCRg7a.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
Can't wait until 7 of us are legging it from a small county bank in two black SUVs and Sleepless is still in the vault trying to punch eleven armed guards to death.

And then we get back to HQ, split the money six ways and shoot Hitcher in the face.

Carbonox

It would actually be fun to respawn from a traitorous donkey killing us all and then going on a manhunt through Los Santos to hunt the cunt down. Fucking going after him in tanks, fighter jets and a bicycle.

Linius

Can't wait until 7 of us are legging it from a small county bank in two black SUVs and Sleepless is still in the vault trying to punch eleven armed guards to death.

And then we get back to HQ, split the money six ways and shoot Hitcher in the face.

It would be fitting if Omiee was playing with you guys.

Wilbur

Banned
It would actually be fun to respawn from a traitorous donkey killing us all and then going on a manhunt through Los Santos to hunt the cunt down. Fucking going after him in tanks, fighter jets and a bicycle.

Oh shit that would be amazing. We're all about to get in the car and one cunt drives off with it.

Three weeks later we track him down to some cabin in the desert

Storm the place with helicopters

The cunt still gets away

DEAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN

sneaky77

I just saw the Hannibal season finale. God damn. I have no words.

Worth buying though?

Well is more Walking Dead so is cool, doesn't have much action sequences at all, seemed pretty straighforward. It felt shorter than a regular episode and I wasn't as into it, but it was not a bad experience. 3/5 imo

Linius

Well is more Walking Dead so is cool, doesn't have much action sequences at all, seemed pretty straighforward. It felt shorter than a regular episode and I wasn't as into it, but it was not a bad experience. 3/5 imo

I think it will tie in with Season 2 so I guess. You might as well wait a little longer and play it just before they release the second season.

It's not bad, but not nearly as good as Season 1. It's way too short.

Thanks guys, I'll go with what my fellow Ajax fan says. Seems the right thing to do and get back into the game for the second season.

flyover

Yes, I know, what I'm saying is that that statistic is mostly just noise and doesn't really shift the outcome of "How good is Arsenal's defence" by much at all. It's has little relevance in the discussion.

I think another mistake people make is thinking that defenders == defense. That's why I think people tend to underrate Arsenal's defense (and I'm not even a fan).

Obviously, it doesn't hurt to have good defenders. But defense is anything that keeps the other team from scoring, not just the individual qualities of each member of the back line and the keeper.

I think most fans know that, at some level, and yet our brains reach for the convenient shorthand of "mediocre defenders equal mediocre defense."

I believe they needed extra time to set everything up server wise and all. It's quite the operation and very ambitious on this gen.

If only they had like 5 years to get their damn servers right... and just wait, will crash out anyway when everyone tries to go online at once. :p

Salvadora

I think another mistake people make is thinking that defenders == defense. That's why I think people tend to underrate Arsenal's defense (and I'm not even a fan).

Obviously, it doesn't hurt to have good defenders. But defense is anything that keeps the other team from scoring, not just the individual qualities of each member of the back line and the keeper.

I think most fans know that, at some level, and yet our brains reach for the convenient shorthand of "mediocre defenders equal mediocre defense."
I think you're completely right.

The defensive contributions that players such as Arteta, Wilshere & Giroud make play a large part in how Arsenal defend. It was something that you just didn't see before last season, often seemed like attack at all costs was the name of the game. Or players felt they just didn't have responsibilities at the back. We are so much more of a unit now.

omgkitty

I think you're completely right.

The defensive contributions that players such as Arteta, Wilshere & Giroud make play a large part in how Arsenal defend. It was something that you just didn't see before last season, often seemed like attack at all costs was the name of the game. Or players felt they just didn't have responsibilities at the back. We are so much more of a unit now.

And you know who I think helped us do that? Steve Bould. We definitely defend as a unit and put everyone behind the ball when we need to. We are still susceptible to stupid errors and counter attacks, but overall we've fixed a lot of our errors, and all of our players are now up for the cause. No more lazy players like Arshavin who only play when they feel like it any more. We also don't get pushed around any more like we used to. Our players are definitely up for a fight when we play now.

Salvadora

And you know who I think helped us do that? Steve Bould. We definitely defend as a unit and put everyone behind the ball when we need to. We are still susceptible to stupid errors and counter attacks, but overall we've fixed a lot of our errors, and all of our players are now up for the cause. No more lazy players like Arshavin who only play when they feel like it any more. We also don't get pushed around any more like we used to. Our players are definitely up for a fight when we play now.
It's the Steve Bould effect.

Our younger players are maturing too. Gibbs has come on leaps and bounds, and Jenkinson actually looks like a professional footballer. Sagna looks to be regaining the pre-injury form in which he was so deadly, I fondly remember the stunning crosses he put in against Barcelona. It was a mistake not bringing in a young CB that Bould could mould, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom