• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2013/14 |OT5| Levy to Woodward "You're nobody. Pass me the ball"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Asamoah, Lichtsteiner and Vidal all scored last night.

BTip3XXCcAA6pmE.jpg

BTjMGylCYAAKVJX.jpg

BTh3Ma7CMAALXN1.jpg

I hope people's expectations of Ozil are tempered. Least we forget in RvP's last season for Arsenal, despite his incredible form, we had just barely managed to qualify for the UCL slot; by just one point actually. And we can't ignore that it took a tremendous 11 game run to recover our disastrous season; again by one point.

Theo Walcott signed only a three-year contract and Ozil is still young enough where he could move on around the same time. So, rather looking at this signing from the perspective of "we've signed Ozil", I hope the fans and the club realise how crucial it is to maximise the impact of players like Ozil by building around them.

One superstar isn't enough. We need at least three.

P.S. I hope Cesc spends more time on the bench. A midfield of Cazorla, Ozil and Fabregas would revolutionise the face of the club.

No idea if this was posted already, but I'm feeling lazy:

I would gladly spend all the rest of the money we have on Reus. Hopefully him and Ozil are good friends.

I can't tell if you Arsenal fans are serious or just taking the piss. By the way, Reus and Schürrle are very good friends.

"Dortmund’s Gundogan and Reus will also be extensively scouted this season, although both would also cost around £20 million."

That is hilarious and if true makes you wonder what Arsenal has been doing in the last few years. Gündogan and Reus will be extensively scouted this season. This season? What exactly did Arsenal's scouts do in the last few years? And the price. Oh wow. Good luck with that.

Suen

Guys I had a horrible dream last night. I dreamt that Roma scored 9 goals against Parma and that we didn't even get one goal :(

"I can imagine signing a new contract. I appreciate what I have here and how BVB helped me."
Gündogan, April 2013

September 2013: Nothing

Ilkay pls

LTWheels

I think the fact that both Gerrard and Lamps legs have gone means they can both play together in the same England team now. No issue of both wanting to go forward at the same time.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"I can imagine signing a new contract. I appreciate what I have here and how BVB helped me."
Gündogan, April 2013

Ilkay pls

I'm sorry Milch, but a new contract means NOTHING to Arsenal. They bid for Pogba after his debut season in Italy.

The best league in the world bids when he wants.

I can't tell if you Arsenal fans are serious or just taking the piss. By the way, Reus and Schürrle are very good friends.

"Dortmund’s Gundogan and Reus will also be extensively scouted this season, although both would also cost around £20 million."

That is hilarious and if true makes you wonder what Arsenal has been doing in the last few years. Gündogan and Reus will be extensively scouted this season. This season? What exactly did Arsenal's scouts do in the last few years? And the price. Oh wow. Good luck with that.

XyldfsI.gif

Press garbage. Surely.

spidye

Gündogan, April 2013

Ilkay pls

January 2015: I signed a new contract with Bayern Munich. I've always been a fan of Pep Guardiola. I've seen the light.

pappe

Reus and Gundogan cant resist Woodwards and Moyes charms.

Oh who am i kidding! When Moyes says he wants Reus. Woodward will put in a bid for Ross Barkley.

Arnie

I think the fact that both Gerrard and Lamps legs have gone means they can both play together in the same England team now. No issue of both wanting to go forward at the same time.
Gerrard was superb last night, as was Welbeck. Glad to see Baines in the team, too.

I can see Arsenal making Reus their big summer target next year, they're desperately calling out for a player in that position. Walcott's good, but they need another wide forward who can do the business alongside him. Arsenal should've gone for Schurrle.

Gundogan's a ridiculous target, though. He's good, but Arsenal already have good quality in that area of the pitch. He'd cost around £40 million to sign, which is far more than Arsenal should be spending in such a position.

Arsenal need a world class goalkeeper, centre back, and striker.

Salvadora

The world class goalkeeper is the most painful one because the market has been coming down with them in the last few years at reasonable prices.

Get one and you're literally set for years.

Nicktendo86

Just watched Iron Man 3. Might actually be my favourite of the 3. A billion times better than Iron Man 2 at least. Loved the final battle scenes and dat Paltrow.

Watched it the other day, thought it was awful. Really really boring, made little sense, waste of time.

Arnie

The world class goalkeeper is the most painful one because the market has been coming down with them in the last few years at reasonable prices.

Get one and you're literally set for years.
Chelsea are going to have a decision to make on Courtois soon enough, and Mourinho isn't going to sell to Barcelona. I think it'd be a tough ask getting them to sell to you, but it's worth a punt, and if you throw the sort of financial weight at it that you'd exhibited this summer (Suarez, Ozil bids) then you could well get him. And by that I don't mean £40 million, but I mean a figure significant enough to make people think.

Offer Chelsea £20 million for Coutois and I reckon you could sign him. That'd be your goalkeeper sorted for at least half a decade.

Watching La Tourneuse de Pages.

Deborah Francois is gorgeous. Bless you Belgium.
Was tempted to go and watch Riddick today, for a laugh, but I'd have to get a 30 minute bus ride because it isn't showing at any cinemas near me. I'll just watch Pursuit of Happiness in my joggers instead.

Went out for a full English at a greasy spoon called E Pellici's, really famous little cafe in Bethnal Green. Was nice, although a little rammed. Scoffed my food, gulped my tea, tried to read the paper, and got out of there.

I can see Arsenal making Reus their big summer target next year, they're desperately calling out for a player in that position. Walcott's good, but they need another wide forward who can do the business alongside him. Arsenal should've gone for Schurrle.

Any club that won't offer a proper ridiculous fee (starting at 60-70m) can gladly waste their time trying to sign Reus. We'll lose Lewandowski and might lose Gündogan if he doesn't sign a new contract. Reus will be almost impossible to get, Watzke already told Perez to fuck off this year when Real started making offers in April.

Salvadora

Chelsea are going to have a decision to make on Courtois soon enough, and Mourinho isn't going to sell to Barcelona. I think it'd be a tough ask getting them to sell to you, but it's worth a punt, and if you throw the sort of financial weight at it that you'd exhibited this summer (Suarez, Ozil bids) then you could well get him. And by that I don't mean £40 million, but I mean a figure significant enough to make people think.

Offer Chelsea £20 million for Coutois and I reckon you could sign him. That'd be your goalkeeper sorted for at least half a decade.
The whole situation just comes across as willful negligence.

Don't have enough creativity = sign Ozil, not enough depth and class in the forward position = try to sign Suarez and Higuain. Szczesny plays terribly, gets dropped and loanee goalkeeper comes in during the summer...? And that could be down to Mannone's departure more than anything! The 'faith in young players' argument falls apart a wee bit too when you look at the Monreal purchase.

Mourinho is going to have to do something with Courtois as Cech obviously has more than a few years left in him. Don't think he'd sell to us in a million years though.

Arnie

Any club that won't offer a proper ridiculous fee (starting at 60-70m) can gladly waste their time trying to sign Reus. We'll lose Lewandowski and might lose Gündogan if he doesn't sign a new contract. Reus will be almost impossible to get, Watzke already told Perez to fuck off this year when Real started making offers in April.
Arsenal won't offer that much.

As I said, they should've gone for Schurrle.

How many years does Courtois have left on his contract?

He's not going on loan again next season, so Mourinho either chooses to axe Cech or Courtois goes.

neoanarch

Cech is only 31?! He could have another decade in him if he wanted. As for the immediate future cup games and CL group stage matches for a few years wouldn't be so bad. Honestly what a dilemma Chelsea have got.

Lightning

Banned
Not that interested in next years targets. I prefer to focus on this seasons targets. Winning the FA cup, finishing top 3 are the priorities.

Outside the top 4 = nightmare.

So until next season transfer window who cares about Gundogan, Reus etc... and with it being WC year the prices will be even more inflated than they currently are. Not worth thinking about until we know where we are.

Arnie

Not that interested in next years targets. I prefer to focus on this seasons targets. Winning the FA cup, finishing top 3 are the priorities.

So until next season transfer window who cares about Gundogan, Reus etc... and with it being WC year the prices will be even more inflated than they currently are. Not worth thinking about until we know where we are.
You aren't going to win a trophy.
2016 apparently.
Next summer will be crunch time then. Two years remaining, Chelsea can still demand value, or drop Cech and give him a starting role. I'm not entirely sure what Courtois' value is, but I know he's doing really well at Atletico, so £20 million seems like a solid punt. You don't really see goalkeepers go for more than that, unless Bayern's involved.

Salvadora

I get what you mean, but when you have such glaring deficiencies in the squad, it's difficult not to.

Finishing outside the top four would be a nightmare, that's why we may need to use the winter transfer window. Problem is, what striker would even be available?
Btw its quite amazing how just 1 great signing can do for a club. A month back Arsenal fans were all doom and gloom. Now they are talking the big talk and expecting to sign Reus and Ilkay. Their implosion this season is going to be even more hilarious to watch.
Who is saying that we will sign either of them? It was a Telegraph story on Arsenal's focus on the German market.

pappe

Flashy Trickster Ronnie is the best Ronnie.

Btw its quite amazing what just 1 great signing can do for a club. A month back Arsenal fans were all doom and gloom. Now they are talking the big talk and expecting to sign Reus and Ilkay. Their implosion this season is going to be even more hilarious to watch.

Jonas Hofmann turned in quite the player in such a short time, it's amazing.

Including two U21 matches for Germany, 6 matches played: 2 goals, 5 assists. And what's even more astonishing, he didn't even start a single one. Those stats in 133 minutes of play time, that must be some kind of record.

Arnie

Says you. The guy who said we would end up with Remy and Cesar!

Ozil!!!!!

Cesar and Remy would improve your squad, such is your lack of quality and depth in those positions.

Ozil is a fantastic signing, though. No denying that. Most important thing is what it says about your club. You've done too much talking this summer, and not enough doing. You've not done enough listening either, or you've not listened to the right people.

More world class players need to arrive, and you need to find the right balance in what is a very midfield-heavy squad. I don't know how Cazorla, Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey, and Rosicky fit together, but Wenger has to try.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Guðmundsson's hattrick -> GIF

He's not even a striker.

-

Xabi Alonso's agent: "Xabi knows nothing about Juventus. He is only focused on his recovery and to begin playing with Real Madrid again."

The current rumour is that we're getting Xabi next season to replace Pirlo.

tumblr_lfagq0isCL1qajdkfo1_250.gif

As I said, they should've gone for Schurrle.

Hmm, there's no room for him though. Cazorla, Poldi, Theo, & Ox are a decent enough selection of wide players. We got over 50 goals from those 4 last season.

But admittedly, injuries are hurting us there.

Cech is only 31?! He could have another decade in him if he wanted. As for the immediate future cup games and CL group stage matches for a few years wouldn't be so bad. Honestly what a dilemma Chelsea have got.

Yeah, that's the thing. Courtois joined at 19 too, so his wages must still be very low.

With 2 years left in 2014 there's got to be a judgement call. I don't think it'll be us who signs him though.

ringwaldhaze

Neo Member
Jonas Hofmann turned in quite the player in such a short time, it's amazing.

Including two U21 matches for Germany, 6 matches played: 2 goals, 5 assists. And what's even more astonishing, he didn't even start a single one. Those stats in 133 minutes of play time, that must be some kind of record.

Has he took any more tumbles in the box since the first two games of the league? ;)

Arnie

Hmm, there's no room for him though. Cazorla, Poldi, Theo, & Ox are a decent enough selection of wide players. We got over 50 goals from those 4 last season.

But admittedly, injuries are hurting us there.

Ox isn't good enough as a wide forward, in my opinion. One of my friends is a coach and I subscribe to his assessment completely; Ox should be played in the number 10 position. His strength is that power in acceleration to beat a man in tight spaces, but it isn't to run a channel or rely on outright pace. Unfortunately that's not really an option for him anymore, with Cazorla and Ozil way ahead of him in that regard. For me though Ox isn't a wide player, I think given his attributes he should be played centrally.

Walcott, Giroud, and Schurrle would be top.

How many years does Courtois have left on his contract?

He's not going on loan again next season, so Mourinho either chooses to axe Cech or Courtois goes.

Until 2016. There's many possibilities for the future of Courtois, selling him, one of the brightest young keepers for 20mil to a PL rival is not one of them. I can see him going back to Chelsea next season and competing with Cech, who has been great but also seems to not have a body which can keep playing on the highest level until his late 30's, things can change quickly just look at Cudicini going from player of the year awards to being a fairly young Cechs reserve under Mou.

Lightning

Banned
Cesar and Remy would improve your squad, such is your lack of quality and depth in those positions.

Ozil is a fantastic signing, though. No denying that. Most important thing is what it says about your club. You've done too much talking this summer, and not enough doing. You've not done enough listening either, or you've not listened to the right people.

More world class players need to arrive, and you need to find the right balance in what is a very midfield-heavy squad. I don't know how Cazorla, Ozil, Wilshere, Ramsey, and Rosicky fit together, but Wenger has to try.
If Wigan can win an FA cup, Stoke make a final, so can we it just matters how you turn up on the day in those games and the luck of the draw.

But I agree in general. Depth will be an issue this season, especially if Giroud gets an injury or has a bad run of form. January window is pointless for what we need, we won't find world class players in that window so we need to slug out the season and hope certain players remain injury free.

Rosicky will be back up, almost certainly, and all signs point to Wlshere and Ramsey interchanging when Arteta comes fit again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom