• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barzul

10 days to go. Really wish we killed off Besiktas on Tuesday. We'll have Ozil back and it'll be at the Emirates so hopefully it'll be a forgone conclusion on Wednesday and we can close out deals. Ox should come in for Ramsey in that game for me.

Ice Bucket Challenge?

aVEsVUQ.gif

Yea

Meier

Cubo Torres got a call-up for the Mexican NT for their next round of friendlies. FM players will recognize him alongside Carlos Fierro as wonderkids for a few years. Torres is getting a call up prior to Fierro though as he's been playing quite well for Chivas USA in MLS.

http://i.minus.com/iTte8kGLuwur6.gif[IMG]

What an effort. What a player. Man Utd legend.[/QUOTE]

Thank you. Now a few of some one-touch 6 yard passes as well, please.

Scum

I just can't see di Maria accepting a move to a team who isn't in the Champions League and has a very real chance of missing out on it for a second year running and maybe beyond. If he leaves, it'll be for PSG or Bayern. It makes far more sense for him to go to a less competitive league where your success is guaranteed.

Copa America is next year. Maybe he's after regular first team football.

GorillaJu

Why? For financial reasons or because Woowoo can't spend that much without sacrificing a small child to his demon god?

Because it would just be unwise to invest that much money in a new manager's first transfer window when the future is still uncertain. You could really dig yourself into a hole putting players on huge contracts when there's no guarantee that they'll work out as promised

United, being a publicly traded company, can't just spend money and shrug it off if it doesn't go well. It wouldn't be an unmitigated disaster if you were to miss out on CL next year—you make so much commercially and in match day revenue that the CL money isn't make-or-break for the club's value. But doing what we did and bringing in players on contracts you can't support and, even worse, can't move on would really harm the clubs finances.

Hixx

@SkySports_Keith · 2m
Poyet insists he'd be open to taking Fabio Borini on loan again, as opposed to a permanent transfer.
Keith Downie @SkySports_Keith · 3m
Poyet on Borini: "We keep trying. It's difficult to put a deadline on it but we are getting close. Hasn't changed much in the past week."
Keith Downie @SkySports_Keith · 5m
Gus Poyet says he needs another defender, but won't be making any "panic buys".
Keith Downie @SkySports_Keith · 6m
Poyet on Leeds' Sam Byram: "I like him and I've known him for a long time. Like any young British player, they are sometimes too expensive."
Keith Downie @SkySports_Keith · 9m
Poyet tells SSNHQ on Welbeck: "he's a player who myself and other managers are interested in. We need to wait. We haven't made an approach."
Keith Downie @SkySports_Keith · 59m
Billy Jones and Santi Vergini back in the Sunderland squad for the visit of Man United on Sunday.

VERGINI!

Feorax

Moreno and Markovic both in the squad for Monday. Excite.

So we're expecting the team to be:

Mignolet; Manquillo, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno; Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho; Markovic, Sterling, Sturridge.

Assuming all are fit enough to start. Maybe switch Marko for Can and stick Coutinho out wide if he's still a maybe.

GorillaJu

Mignolet; Manquillo, Skrtel, Lovren, Moreno; Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho; Markovic, Sterling, Sturridge.

Assuming all are fit enough to start. Maybe switch Marko for Can and stick Coutinho out wide if he's still a maybe.

Mig
Johnson Skrtel Lovren Moreno
Gerrard
Henderson Allen
Coutinho
Sterling Sturridge

Is my guess.

Mastadon

Banned

I don't think Marko will start. Likely Allen or Can instead of Lucas.

GorillaJu

Can needs to be slowly brought through in easier fixtures. The game will pass him by at the Etihad. He may come on as a sub, Marko as well. But he's not ready to start, based on how he's looked in preseason. He's promising, but not the ready made answer we need.

TeddyBoy

Why? For financial reasons or because Woowoo can't spend that much without sacrificing a small child to his demon god?

Basically what Odd said, but so far the Glazers haven't invested vast amounts of money into the club and it would certainly be an odd change in behaviour to suddenly make this vast amount of money available when transfers have been quite slow for United this transfer window.

Also using Viva's three new signings your starting eleven would look something like:

Van Persie - Rooney
Di Maria - Khedira - Herrara - Mata
Rojo - Benatia - Evans - Shaw
De Gea

A pretty good side, even if you have to go back to 4-4-2 (I'm not totally sure how everyone would fit in here).

If Welbeck is leaving that's 100% down to the player wanting out. He's quality. No he isn't without issues, but he's IMO one of United's 5 best players (RVP, Rooney, Herrera, De Gea ahead of him but that's about it). If he goes to Spurs it's going to be Sturridge part deux. He'll score fewer goals than Django but United will be regretting it just like City and Chelsea are surely regretting letting go of their player.

Welbeck will be Sturridge part trois, Bebe is gonna be part deux!

Basically what Odd said, but so far the Glazers haven't invested vast amounts of money into the club and it would certainly be an odd change in behaviour to suddenly make this vast amount of money available when transfers have been quite slow for United this transfer window.

Also using Viva's three new signings your starting eleven would look something like:

Van Persie - Rooney
Di Maria - Khedira - Herrara - Mata
Rojo - Benatia - Evans - Shaw
De Gea

A pretty good side, even if you have to go back to 4-4-2 (I'm not totally sure how everyone would fit in here).

Let's copy Madrid

Rooney - Van Persie - Januzaj
Di Maria - Khedira - Herrara -
Shaw - Rojo - Evans - Rafael
De Gea

Rooney does the Ronaldo role. Ronaldo doesn't play defense anyways for Madrid, is always the furthest or 2nd furthest player up the pitch. Only difference is that Rooney doesn't dribble much and does more defensive work by running like a headless chicken at players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom