• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

:lol

You're out of your mind.

Find me one single example of any top player in the peak of their career taking a pay cut at any top club in the last 10 years and I'll consider it.

How am I meant to do this :lol

Aguero isn't the only City player rumoured to have taken a pay cut. Nasri too apparently took a basic pay cut for greater bonuses. Bonuses are not factored into FFP so I can see why club and player are keen on this structure.

Was Aguero in his peak at Atletico? Again, it was said he took a pay cut to join City.

How am I meant to do this :lol

Aguero isn't the only City player rumoured to have taken a pay cut. Nasri too apparently took a basic pay cut for greater bonuses. Bonuses are not factored into FFP so I can see why club and player are keen on this structure.

Was Aguero in his peak at Atletico? Again, it was said he took a pay cut to join City.

You're not because it doesn't exist.

I'm not doubting his "basic pay" is lower for the very reason you've said. But if you think he's committed himself to earning less just because he loves City so much you're kidding yourself. Some of those "bonuses" will be very easy to achieve and will almost certainly see him earn as much, most likely more, over the next few years.

The game is getting richer. Players know it and they want, and deserve, a piece of that pie. Not a chance they're happily willing to take home less.

If he's on greater performance related bonuses, as the new pay structure indicates with our recent signings, than yeah, why not? Would be a shrewd move considering his recent injuries.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's not all about the money with City anymore. Maybe players know they can win stuff there now, unlike other clubs.

laughing-gif.10714

Football getting richer, top players at clubs taking pay cuts, loool. Dc has been on the oil fumes

I'm sure his basic might have gone down, but if city went to aguero and asked him, nasri and other top quality/earning players to take a pay cut they would be out the door before you could say manuel pls, get me a napkin.

They are obviously heavily performance based because you can't comply with ffp like a normal club, you got sanctioned and part of that was some bonuses not included in those sanctions for ffp purposes which is where the bonuses will be to try and give you a chance of actually complying.

Perhaps it is shrewd though considering how much time a lot if these players who signed new deals spend being injured you might save yourself millions

You can pretty much put guaranteed bonuses including things like a discretion bonus that is paid based on what the club feels about the player's performance.

Corporations also do these things all the time.

Manager

You're not because it doesn't exist.

I'm not doubting his "basic pay" is lower for the very reason you've said. But if you think he's committed himself to earning less just because he loves City so much you're kidding yourself. Some of those "bonuses" will be very easy to achieve and will almost certainly see him earn as much, most likely more, over the next few years.

The game is getting richer. Players know it and they want, and deserve, a piece of that pie. Not a chance they're happily willing to take home less.

Of course. If I remember correctly from that Barca documentary, Txiki and Soriano basically gave away all money prize from winning La Liga to their players back at Barca through bonuses. So the players must believe City can win PL or some other trophy in the future if they accept a lower base wage.

If Nasri really took ~£40k less in basic salary, the bonuses will be huge as you say. Let's say £5k a match, £2k a goal. Minimum five matches in a month gives £45k, two goals £4k. He will be injured and lose bonuses, but on the other hand there will be months with 8-10 matches. Let's also remember that no club will pay him City's old salary either, no way, not been good enough.

If City don't win anything, City won't pay out as many trophy bonuses. With this way of thinking, the players must truly believe that City can win trophies in the future, and why wouldn't they?

It's more fair towards everyone. The fans, the club, the players. Everyone will work towards more success. When Robinho was signed for example, no way he would take trophy bonuses since he knew City wouldn't win any. Today, however, it's different and *every single* contract has been re-negotiated. It's just math, however some kind of loyalty made them stay instead of leaving for Barca or Real, not salaries alone.

Nicktendo86

Yeah no chance we are getting Vidal, simply left it too fucking late. Small tiny chance Juve are looking to get as much as possible by closing the door but I'd say we have a 1% chance of signing him now. Should have done it weeks ago.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I refuse to believe that Arsenal won't sign a striker. Even Wenger isn't mad enough to rely on a Sanogo, a striker who has never scored a goal.

Mastadon

Banned
Has this been posted? I love twitter (start from the bottom)

John Henry @JohnHenryKSDK · Aug 24
Last note on this odd course of events. Looks like I'll support #Liverpool now. This has been fun. Haha.

... and I'm now trending in Liverpool, England. Did not see this coming earlier today.

To my Liverpool faithful, I will do my best to sign Reus. To everyone in #STL and #Knoxville, roll with it.

I'm learning so much about football right now. I'm not sure what Reus looks like, but apparently, he's important.

To everyone out there who jokingly, or seriously, thinks I owns Liverpool FC, know this... I wish I did. I wish I did...

Yen

"@MUFC_Facebook: Angel di Maria is a very good player but he is seasoning on a steak that is not cooked. let us not get salmonella poisoning please edward"

Of course. If I remember correctly from that Barca documentary, Txiki and Soriano basically gave away all money prize from winning La Liga to their players back at Barca through bonuses. So the players must believe City can win PL or some other trophy in the future if they accept a lower base wage.

If Nasri really took ~£40k less in basic salary, the bonuses will be huge as you say. Let's say £5k a match, £2k a goal. Minimum five matches in a month gives £45k, two goals £4k. He will be injured and lose bonuses, but on the other hand there will be months with 8-10 matches.

If City don't win anything, City won't pay out as many trophy bonuses. With this way of thinking, the players must truly believe that City can win trophies in the future, and why wouldn't they?

It's more fair towards everyone. The fans, the club, the players. Everyone will work towards more success. When Robinho was signed for example, no way he would take trophy bonuses since he knew City wouldn't win any. Today, however, it's different and *every single* contract has been re-negotiated.

I'm not saying that City being a competitive team doesn't factor into it.

I'm saying footballer players, or anybody in any line of work - generally do not sign contracts where they are at a serious risk of earning less money when the business is getting richer.

There is no reason to think City are any different. Wages are going up in football at 99% of the clubs. It will keep happening until it goes bust.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yeah no chance we are getting Vidal, simply left it too fucking late. Small tiny chance Juve are looking to get as much as possible by closing the door but I'd say we have a 1% chance of signing him now. Should have done it weeks ago.
1% :lol what's wrong with you guys? It's at least in the upper 90s now.

start from the bottom
don't we all.

except Junited. They started from the top now they here

Manager

I'm not saying that City being a competitive team doesn't factor into it.

I'm saying footballer players, or anybody in any line of work - generally do not sign contracts where they are at a serious risk of earning less money when the business is getting richer.

There is no reason to think City are any different. Wages are going up in football at 99% of the clubs. It will keep happening until it goes bust.

Nasri is often brought up as the example of someone who took the highest pay cut, and it's not that weird since no one in their right mind would pay him ~£140k if he left the club (like he was in the last contract). He's not that good and been average at City for every year except last. So he'd take a paycut anyway for a new contract, surely.

Journalists say Aguero went from £200k to £150k though, not sure how that works since there's probably a lot of clubs out there who would be willing to pay him a lot of money. But we'll never know, could be as simple that he's getting more image rights or whatever, or some other variable out of hundreds.

In the end, it will make City look better for FFP though.

1% :lol what's wrong with you guys? It's at least in the upper 90s now.

don't we all.

except Junited. They started from the top now they here

A girl I went to Uni with got engaged a while back and when she posted the pics on FB and stuff she captioned it with "started from the bottom now we here".

It just made me really depressed.

Think I posted about it here before actually. How do these people exist. It's really sad.

I heard Vidal was eager to join the team that just finished seventh and hasn't won a competitive game yet under their new manager. And isn't in Europe. And went out of a cup competition 0-4 to third-tier opposition.

Wilbur

Banned
I heard Vidal was eager to join the team that just finished seventh and hasn't won a competitive game yet under their new manager.

He'd join us if we finished sixteenth if we were going to give him enough money

Why do we keep pretending a lot of footballers aren't anything more than money hungry infidels

I heard Vidal was eager to join the team that just finished seventh and hasn't won a competitive game yet under their new manager. And isn't in Europe. And went out of a cup competition 0-4 to third-tier opposition.

No way I heard that too.

Shit it's really happening.

WOODWARDDDDDD

I like how Man Utd are making all the mistakes Juventus did when they finished seventh, only on an even bigger scale and with even more absurd financial commitments.

El Topo

I like how Man Utd are making all the mistakes Juventus did when they finished seventh, only on an even bigger scale and with even more absurd financial commitments.

Did Juve ever lose 4-0 to a 3rd tier team? I mean an official 3rd tier team, not something like Torino FC.

Jarnet87

He joined Juventus, they were in a situation just as dire as ours. The man loves rebuild projects.

Manager

Going out of Carling cup early was great for Liverpool last season, specially during Christmas time. They could focus 100% on PL.

If you go through, you play:
One match in September
One match in November
One match before christmas, in the crazy time.
Two matches in January (City played 9 matches in January last year)
Then final in March.

Ridiculous amount of matches for a cup few care about.

Because some of them really want to achieve something for their fame in sports. Not everybody is a mercenary.
Achieving something yes. So joining a big club who just had the worst season in ages so you can help rebuild them and get back to the top, that's an achievement. Going to a club or staying at a club where you are certain to win prices.. whats the achievement there?

Jarnet87

7th last year with Moyes, 7th this year with van Ghaleon. 1st next year with Klopp. Klopp brings Reus and Gundogan to Old Trafford. The Prem is ours.

Hixx

Going out of Carling cup early was great for Liverpool last season, specially during Christmas time. They could focus 100% on PL.

One match in September
One match in November
Then final in March.

Tell that to the 80,000 who were at Wembley last season, Manager. The real support.

Wilbur

Banned
Because some of them really want to achieve something for their fame in sports. Not everybody is a mercenary.

I'm sure all footballers want to achieve something for their fame.

Let's pretend that Bayern offer Thiago 100k a week and the chance to come win the Bundesliga every year. United offer Thiago 200-250k a week.

I don't think he would by default go for Bayern because there's more chance of him winning some stuff.

It's a fact. I don't get wound up about it. I don't understand why many people do.

The year after we finished seventh we finished seventh.

#goodthingscometothosewhowait

Baki

If he's on greater performance related bonuses, as the new pay structure indicates with our recent signings, than yeah, why not? Would be a shrewd move considering his recent injuries.

Or maybe, just maybe, it's not all about the money with City anymore. Maybe players know they can win stuff there now, unlike other clubs.

LOL! Dude can go anywhere. Please, City is still nothing compared to Big teams in Europe.

Salvadora

One match in September
One match in November
Then final in March.

Liverpool 2013/14 and United 2014/15 have very different squads.

Much more depth for United to handle those sort of games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom