• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

sohois

Going out of Carling cup early was great for Liverpool last season, specially during Christmas time. They could focus 100% on PL.

If you go through, you play:
One match in September
One match in November
One match before christmas, in the crazy time.
Two matches in January (City played 9 matches in January last year)
Then final in March.

Ridiculous amount of matches for a cup few care about.

All the big clubs play their kids and reserves anyway up until the finals. I very much doubt those matches make a difference.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Viva, regarding that FB post, I can't decide if it's too sad or funny :lol

I heard Vidal was eager to join the team that just finished seventh and hasn't won a competitive game yet under their new manager. And isn't in Europe. And went out of a cup competition 0-4 to third-tier opposition.

SHUSH Shake

JUNITED DONT LISTEN TO HIM GET YOUR HOPES UPPPPPPP

bjaelke

aGiCf3M.jpg

It's already happening

Jack cw

Achieving something yes. So joining a big club who just had the worst season in ages so you can help rebuild them and get back to the top, that's an achievement. Going to a club or staying at a club where you are certain to win prices.. whats the achievement there?

So Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Maradonna, Del Piero, CR7 are all remembered as legends because they rebuild some clubs? Its about winning trophies, getting famous and reach the highest possible skill level, with top players, top coaches you can learn from.

You either build a winning class team around a star, which requires a few years time, or you join an established squad that has potential to win all the cups. Not being in CL means no international attention, marketing deals with companies have lower revenues for the player, etc.

Wilbur

Banned
The Veggie/Vegan thread in OT is quite interesting/funny.

Could you guys do veggie for a week?

I could do it for a week, yeah. Wouldn't do it forever though; love me mah steak too much

No, he turned down the pay rise. He went to Man Utd because khe wanted guaranteed playing time.

No. He wanted 8m a year and Madrid offered him 6m a year. Of course the James transfer factors in, but read his letter. It makes real allusions to money.

Viva, regarding that FB post, I can't decide if it's too sad or funny :lol

SHUSH Shake

JUNITED DONT LISTEN TO HIM GET YOUR HOPES UPPPPPPP

Yurt.

Don't kick us when we're down. Please.

Also I HOPE EVRA IS AS BAD FOR YOU THIS YEAR AS HE WAS FOR US LAST SEASON.

No. He wanted 8m a year and Madrid offered him 6m a year. Of course the James transfer factors in, but read his letter. It makes real allusions to money.
Can't blame him. He deserves it for helping them win the CL last year.

This thread is too funny.

I think one guy said when he goes to a veggie persons place he goes "prepared". Like he's just walking around with a steak in his bag :lol

Meat is delicious, that's all the justification needed.

L1NETT

Tell that to the 80,000 who were at Wembley last season, Manager. The real support.

Or the fact a great cup run can rejuvenate and improve league form and create a good feeling around the club.

But yeah poor Man City they only have millions upon millions of talent to rely upon and these really talented youngsters who won't ever see the first team.

Diddums

So uhm, Abel Hernandez to Hull. Good, now find some new fucking strikers that are actually good.

Now Rhodes is off old Bruce the potato face is desperate to get someone.

pulga

Banned
Shake Appeal is so angry.

Just lay down and let Woowar gently slide his pencil dick between your labia, there's no use fighting it anymore, nothing stops the ReVanlution.

Jarnet87

Lewis will eventually drop the 3-5-2. If he doesn't then the man is a prideful idiot. It took Carlo half a season to admit his diamond was a disaster at Chelsea. Lets hope it takes less time then that for Lewis.

I could do it for a week, yeah. Wouldn't do it forever though; love me mah steak too much

Well really he said Madrid didn't offer him anything. The contract part in that letter is weird. to be fair, i am just going on what Gab Marcotti is saying. But he is Italian and I hate Italians today,including myself, so fuck him.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I like how Man Utd are making all the mistakes Juventus did when they finished seventh, only on an even bigger scale and with even more absurd financial commitments.

Fellaini is their Melo, Herrera is their Aquiloani, Kagawa is their Diego and ADM will be their Krasic

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal is weighing up a shock £20m move for Liverpool midfielder Joe Allen, 24 . (Daily Star) 

Aaahahahahahahahahahahaha

As a Liverpool fan, please let this be true.

Mastadon

Banned
The Veggie/Vegan thread in OT is quite interesting/funny.

Could you guys do veggie for a week?

Yeah I reckon I could pretty easily. I do like meat, but I don't absolutely have to have it for every meal like some people. I often prefer veggie alternatives like Quorn and shit.

Jack cw

I'm sure all footballers want to achieve something for their fame.

Let's pretend that Bayern offer Thiago 100k a week and the chance to come win the Bundesliga every year. United offer Thiago 200-250k a week.

I don't think he would by default go for Bayern because there's more chance of him winning some stuff.

It's a fact. I don't get wound up about it. I don't understand why many people do.

But that isnt really the point. Money is a huge part of the business, that is true, but those players dont sit and wait for it. It's perspective. A player needs certain milestones and a role at the club. Thiago for example could have easily gone to United, but there were other things, like the relationship to Pep, a guarantee from Bayern, that he'll be the key player in midfield, medical treatment, marketing deals with his sponsor, agents close to Guardiolas brother, etc. And of course Bayern really wanted him, while United was only interested.

A great player gets the money he deserves from his club and if not, he goes to another one, like Kroos. Juve pays good money, is a title contender mostly in Italy and plays CL and Vidal is a key player there, and I dont think that money alone would compensate for this.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...x-Ferguson-and-the-clubs-transfer-policy.html

But the paucity of United’s performance can be traced back to the summer of 2009 and the direction taken by the club, under Sir Alex Ferguson’s charge, in the summers following the world record £80m sale of Cristiano Ronaldo to Real.

City had just spent £110m on the likes of Yaya Toure, David Silva, James Milner, Mario Balotelli and Jerome Boateng, an outlay which dwarfed United’s £24m spending spree, but four years on only a fool would argue that United’s money was invested more smartly than City’s.

At City, the club now has at least two Champions League-class performers in each position as a result of their policy of pursuing signings at the top end of the market.
United, in contrast, now have a squad which, prior to Di Maria’s arrival, possesses perhaps just three players who could sit comfortably in City’s squad – Van Persie, Wayne Rooney and David de Gea.

So true and yea, fuck Fergie for his shit transfer policies.

And if the reports of the state of our scouting system are to be believed he left us with a shit squad and a shit scouting system.

So Messi, Ronaldo, Zidane, Maradonna, Del Piero, CR7 are all remembered as legends because they rebuild some clubs? Its about winning trophies, getting famous and reach the highest possible skill level, with top players, top coaches you can learn from.

You either build a winning class team around a star, which requires a few years time, or you join an established squad that has potential to win all the cups. Not being in CL means no international attention, marketing deals with companies have lower revenues for the player, etc.

Yes Maradona is most famous for building a club. Napoli were nothing without him. Imagine Messi going to Newcastle and then winning the League. That is what Maradona did.

Jack cw

Yes Maradona is most famous for building a club. Napoli were nothing without him. Imagine Messi going to Newcastle and then winning the League. That is what Maradona did.

I know Shanks, but it's not really the time at Napoli there that people outside of Serie A remember when they think about Maradona. Dont want to downplay what he did there of course, only the perception.

I know Shanks, but it's not really the time at Napoli there that people outside of Serie A remember when they think about Maradona. Dont want to downplay what he did there of course, only the perception.

I think that is unfair. Taking away the world cup that is all he achieved at club football. Things didn't want work out at Barca and most Europeans don't care about his time at Boca.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom