• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT3| Got to be a top 5 worst thread title we've ever had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GorillaJu

Arsenal's Joel Campbell any good? Portuguese media saying Benfica is bidding for him (probably another lie but I'm so desperate this year that, like Mulder, I want to believe)

I think he's quite good. He needs an opportunity to play a major role for his team. I think he has potential to be a very good support striker. Does Benfica play 4-4-2, diamond or otherwise?

K1LLER7

Who is a Ferrari? Handsome, performs well but still overpriced and isn't worth the cost of maintenance? Mourinho for sure.

Lamborghinis are flashy and extravagant but are often too much to handle. They don't lose their resale value purely due to prestige but their value as a car drops precipitously when the luster wears off. Real Madrid, essentially, but they're a club, not a manager.
Lamborghini = LV Gaal

GorillaJu

I don't know anything about cars, but pretty sure Liverpool are a hybrid. Always talking about superior morality and mostly just being laughed at, even if representing future potential. By the time the tech will be good enough to bother with, some new car manufactory will probably have taken their tech and done it better.

Liverpool is a 69 Corvette. People will go on about how great it used to be but no matter what you do it can't compete with modern hyper efficiency, though it'll still win here and there.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think he's quite good. He needs an opportunity to play a major role for his team. I think he has potential to be a very good support striker. Does Benfica play 4-4-2, diamond or otherwise?

Yes that's exactly how we play, and always will with this coach (he's very stubborn)

Since losing Rodrigo to Valencia we keep saying we want a "mobile" striker to go with Lima (which is what Rodrigo did)

Late night dinner for 2

1558412_735299616537339_3179007704508665007_n.jpg

"we're fucked, aren't we"

This should be a caption contest.

GorillaJu

Yes that's exactly how we play, and always will with this coach (he's very stubborn)

Since losing Rodrigo to Valencia we keep saying we want a "mobile" striker to go with Lima (which is what Rodrigo did)

I think Campbell is a good choice for that system. He is highly mobile and can play the supporting role well.

valeo

Sounds like he would fit in alright there then. He's definitely a wide forward/support striker.

I just don't think he is good enough. He is 5"7 and not strong enough. Plus all his best talents are cutting in from out wide.

Thought he was terrific today, especially in that 2nd half.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
I think Campbell is a good choice for that system. He is highly mobile and can play the supporting role well.

Interesting. I saw some comment saying "at least he would be reunited with Samaris", where did they play together? :eek:

EmiPrime

Campbell seems good but I don't see how he fits in our system.

That said I don't think our system is that good with Giroud out and Ozil on the left anyway. Time for a rethink maybe.

wedward

Sounds like he would fit in alright there then. He's definitely a wide forward/support striker.

Yeah, I was very impressed with him. Even when things weren't going his way in the first half he stayed after it and was fighting for every ball. He really has an engine and it was great seeing him pressure defenders.

I know Ozil isn't that type of player, but it would be nice to see that kind of hunger out of him. He looked so uninterested today. I don't think he has played well enough with Arsenal recently to be guaranteed the central starting role.

Thought Jack was solid today. Hope he continues to improve.

Bold One

He's Korean. North Korean, but still Korean. That region collectively obsessed over Man Utd. I knew people there who called themselves "Rooney".

it would interesting to see a global map of European club's with the biggest fans per region

I still find the Scandinavian Love-in with Liverpool perplexing

GorillaJu

Campbell seems good but I don't see how he fits in our system.

That said I don't think our system is that good with Giroud out and Ozil on the left anyway. Time for a rethink maybe.

Szczesny
Chambers Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Flamini
Ramsey Wilshere
Ozil
Sanchez Giroud

Seems like a good formation to me.

Lightning

Banned
Yeah, I was very impressed with him. Even when things weren't going his way in the first half he stayed after it and was fighting for every ball. He really has an engine and it was great seeing him pressure defenders.

I know Ozil isn't that type of player, but it would be nice to see that kind of hunger out of him. He looked so uninterested today. I don't think he has played well enough with Arsenal recently to be guaranteed the central starting role.

Thought Jack was solid today. Hope he continues to improve.
Thing about Özil is I think he will reconsider his Arsenal career at the end of the season if he is constantly played out of position. He won't be happy and the more it happens the more obvious he will make it known.

GorillaJu

it would interesting to see a global map of European club's with the biggest fans per region

I still find the Scandinavian Love-in with Liverpool perplexing

Japan is all about Chelsea and Barcelona (people over the age of 30 like Milan and Liverpool)
Korea and Singapore are pure Man Utd
Malaysia and Indonesia seem to be split between Liverpool and Man Utd
Apart from Kroos, fuck this transfer window. We kept players we shouldn't have and sold players we needed.

You sound... Frustrated

I'll get my coat.

wedward

Szczesny
Chambers Mertesacker Koscielny Gibbs
Flamini
Ramsey Wilshere
Ozil
Sanchez Giroud

Seems like a good formation to me.

No width. Also at this point probably include Theo instead of Giroud.

-------Sanchez
Ozil Jack Rambo Theo
------Arteta
Gibbs Kos Per Debuchy
---------SHZ

I think this is what we are going to see for most of the season.

Thing about Özil is I think he will reconsider his Arsenal career at the end of the season if he is constantly played out of position. He won't be happy and the more it happens the more obvious he will make it known.

Doubt it. How do you even know he is upset about being played there? He did it with Germany and didn't complain.

Don't think he has shown that he is undroppable from his favored position.

EmiPrime

Both of my Japanese teacher's sons are United and my Korean teacher's family are United too though that might be because fucking everyone in the south east of England supports United seemingly.

GorillaJu

That would be interesting with everyone fit (would swap Chambers for Debuchy though). Monreal would get butchered.

Yeah you're probably right. It would at least solve the problem of Sanchez lacking opportunities to run into space with the ball since you'd have Ozil putting passes in behind and Giroud's hold up play.

He worked hard, but he will get killed week in and weekout in the PL. His positioning was awful today. He was often outside the box when we were attacking and came from deep to eventually catch up with the play for the goal.

GorillaJu

Both of my Japanese teacher's sons are United and my Korean teacher's family are United too though that might be because fucking everyone in the south east of England supports United seemingly.

You're learning both Japanese and Korean? That's gotta be difficult, but I guess grammatical similarities would mean that you could apply knowledge pretty well from one to the other. Also lots of overlap with words derived from Chinese as well.

Japan is all about Chelsea and Barcelona (people over the age of 30 like Milan and Liverpool)
Korea and Singapore are pure Man Utd
Malaysia and Indonesia seem to be split between Liverpool and Man Utd

You sound... Frustrated

I'll get my coat.

Somewhat. Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester City has been pretty popular lately.

United still is the biggest club here by far though.

EmiPrime

You're learning both Japanese and Korean? That's gotta be difficult, but I guess grammatical similarities would mean that you could apply knowledge pretty well from one to the other. Also lots of overlap with words derived from Chinese as well.

I've put the Korean on hold for now as I am starting Japanese in September at university level (my Japanese is way better). Yeah the grammar is easy because it's the same structures as Japanese with more or less direct equivalents but the pronunciation (different characters with identical sounds) makes memorising words with the correct spelling a real arse.

GorillaJu

I've put the Korean on hold for now as I am starting Japanese in September at university level (my Japanese is way better). Yeah the grammar is easy because it's the same structures as Japanese with more or less direct equivalents but the pronunciation (different characters with identical sounds) makes memorising words with the correct spelling a real arse.

The two different "ae" spellings in Korean drove me nuts but overall Hangeul is so simple compared to Japanese's ridiculous kanji system. Korean pronunciation is stupid hard though, stuff like "ga" vs "gga" vs "ka" and how similar they can sound depending on their position in a word.

Japanese rarely has that spelling problem though, which is nice because any word you hear you'll be able to spell to look up in a dictionary. There are some exceptions like words that use とお instead of とう like 十、通り、遠い though but they're rare. It's all made up for by an incomprehensible writing system :lol

FootballFan

The two different "ae" spellings in Korean drove me nuts but overall Hangeul is so simple compared to Japanese's ridiculous kanji system. Korean pronunciation is stupid hard though, stuff like "ga" vs "gga" vs "ka" and how similar they can sound depending on their position in a word.

Japanese rarely has that spelling problem though, which is nice because any word you hear you'll be able to spell to look up in a dictionary. There are some exceptions like words that use とお instead of とう like 十、通り、遠い though but they're rare. It's all made up for by an incomprehensible writing system :lol

Pete, you must be the ultimate stud* over there.

Much respect.

*couldn't think of a better word

EmiPrime

Yeah it drives me nuts. I learned hangul in two weeks, thought I was doing well only to experience what I imagine dyslexia to feel like when actually learning and spelling words.

It's a brick wall but a pretty one. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom