• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT4| Did you see that Ludogorets display last night?

Bold One

He said he dislikes teams that buy championships
dPrJaGc.png

what have we bought?

came 7th, out of CL,

GorillaJu

So I've always wanted to get into football. I always enjoy the World Cup, and the occasional match when I can catch one, but have never been able to get into the sport. In part because, as an American, I didn't grow up watching it, so I don't have a team which makes it harder to follow. But I've decided to stop watching American football (for ethical reasons), and I need to fill a sports gap when NBA isn't on.

So what's the best way of going about getting into it? Should I find a team first? Just watch matches?

As far as choosing a team, in other sports I tend to like teams with strong fundamentals, teamwork and sportsmanship. I don't necessarily like underdogs, but I dislike teams that "buy" championships and I find perpetually losing teams to be annoying. Also, I don't like teams that have obnoxious fan-bases or owners.

This question comes up a lot, ultimately the best way to go about it is just to watch and enjoy the games before making a decision.

Here are my opinions on the top 5 PL teams:

Manchester City—on path to becoming dominant team in England and maybe in Europe if they can sort themselves out. Team compiled by spending hundreds of millions from outside investment. History at the top is short. Until recently when they were bought by a Sheik, they were a perpetually disappointing team to their fans.

Style: efficient, physical, with reliance moments of individual brilliance. High possession

Chelsea—another mega-rich team with a longer history in the top flight than Man City. Recently won the Champions League for the first time and are considered by many to be favorites for the PL this year. Manager Jose Mourinho is a divisive character.

Style: physical, balanced, score good goals without much in the way of flair, tend to play very defensively against other top teams

Liverpool—Not mega-rich, but still one of the higher-spending teams. Seems to be on the rise after a few years of poor standing. Traditionally one of the most successful teams in England and Europe. Known for having a large, passionate and obnoxious fan base. Team on average is youngest or second youngest in England.

Style: fragile defensively, but offensively very quick and exciting to watch. Quick young players with good dribbling skills

Tottenham Hotspur—Similar philosophy to Liverpool in terms of buying younger, undervalued players around Europe, though not as rich and not a traditionally successful club. New manager Pochettino seems to have them playing well. Arch rivals with giants Arsenal

Style: focus on aggressive pressing and winning the ball back high up the pitch with quick passing around the midfield

Manchester United—like watching a monkey peeing into it's own mouth.

I would just watch a handful of big matches next weekend and decide for yourself what teams you like.

For somebody who's new to the sport, I think it's easier to pick out the players you think are fun and entertaining to watch and just show up for their matches.

Becoming a supporter of a team comes later, after you've gotten a feel of what they're all about.

That said, can't go wrong with Atletico Madrid.

This question comes up a lot, ultimately the best way to go about it is just to watch and enjoy the games before making a decision.

Here are my opinions on the top 5 PL teams:

Manchester City—on path to becoming dominant team in England and maybe in Europe if they can sort themselves out. Team compiled by spending hundreds of millions from outside investment. History at the top is short. Until recently when they were bought by a Sheik, they were a perpetually disappointing team to their fans.

Style: efficient, physical, with reliance moments of individual brilliance. High possession

Chelsea—another mega-rich team with a longer history in the top flight than Man City. Recently won the Champions League for the first time and are considered by many to be favorites for the PL this year. Manager Jose Mourinho is a divisive character.

Style: physical, balanced, score good goals without much in the way of flair, tend to play very defensively against other top teams

Liverpool—Not mega-rich, but still one of the higher-spending teams. Seems to be on the rise after a few years of poor standing. Traditionally one of the most successful teams in England and Europe. Known for having a large, passionate and obnoxious fan base. Team on average is youngest or second youngest in England.

Style: fragile defensively, but offensively very quick and exciting to watch. Quick young players with good dribbling skills

Tottenham Hotspur—Similar philosophy to Liverpool in terms of buying younger, undervalued players around Europe, though not as rich and not a traditionally successful club. New manager Pochettino seems to have them playing well. Arch rivals with giants Arsenal

Style: focus on aggressive pressing and winning the ball back high up the pitch with quick passing around the midfield

Manchester United—like watching a monkey peeing into it's own mouth.

Thank you for this poor attempt at trolling.

I have a similar cut as well. However wax over gel.

Same. Gel holds better, but wax gives a more natural look.

EDIT: I actually asked RVP what he used once, but he said he didn't know and it was just there. He gave me a weird look for about ten seconds before fiving me that bullshit answer

Phlebas

Banned
I would just watch a handful of big matches next weekend and decide for yourself what teams you like.

For somebody who's new to the sport, I think it's easier to pick out the players you think are fun and entertaining to watch and just show up for their matches.

Becoming a supporter of a team comes later, after you've gotten a feel of what they're all about.

That said, can't go wrong with Atletico Madrid.

200x200px-ZC-71edb5be_black-guy-laughing-on-boat-gif.gif

I used to have the undercut until I made the mistake of going to the terrible barber near by. Completely ruined my hair, now I'm starting from scratch.

Esch

Banned
The week before Arsene's last game managed for Arsenal ever the team should incapacitate him somehow and give him an undercut.

GorillaJu

I used to have the undercut until I made the mistake of going to the terrible barber near by. Completely ruined my hair, now I'm starting from scratch.

Finding someone who actually knows what they're doing and cuts your hair in a way that compliments your head is pretty lucky. There's this salon I go to once a month to teach all the stylists how to speak English and one of the dudes there gives the best hair cuts ever. And they give me a free "head spa", basically a girl massages your head in warm water and some different soaps and shit for 20 minutes. Dat Japanese service.

The week before Arsene's last game managed for Arsenal ever the team should incapacitate him somehow and give him an undercut.

wenger5.jpg

valeo

So I've always wanted to get into football. I always enjoy the World Cup, and the occasional match when I can catch one, but have never been able to get into the sport. In part because, as an American, I didn't grow up watching it, so I don't have a team which makes it harder to follow. But I've decided to stop watching American football (for ethical reasons), and I need to fill a sports gap when NBA isn't on.

So what's the best way of going about getting into it? Should I find a team first? Just watch matches?

As far as choosing a team, in other sports I tend to like teams with strong fundamentals, teamwork and sportsmanship. I don't necessarily like underdogs, but I dislike teams that "buy" championships and I find perpetually losing teams to be annoying. Also, I don't like teams that have obnoxious fan-bases or owners.

Everton.

I like wax or gel depending on which product it is. Today I'm using gel. Not blonde enough for Arsene though ;..;

For farks sake, take a pwopa photo

Finding someone who actually knows what they're doing and cuts your hair in a way that compliments your head is pretty lucky. There's this salon I go to once a month to teach all the stylists how to speak English and one of the dudes there gives the best hair cuts ever. And they give me a free "head spa", basically a girl massages your head in warm water and some different soaps and shit for 20 minutes. Dat Japanese service.

I agree with you, I opened the same topic with people I know when I got the bad cut. Few of them mentioned the same place, I was told Sheiks take him with them on trips to cut their hair.

So now I'm looking forward to getting grade 'Sheik' haircut :p

I don't understand why people won't pay for a good haircut. It's your hair, everyone can see it and if it looks shit it will influence how people perceive you.

A good haircut makes a lot of difference.

Phlebas

Banned
I don't understand why people won't pay for a good haircut. It's your hair, everyone can see it and if it looks shit it will influence how people perceive you.

A good haircut makes a lot of difference.

Pretty much.

I have one guy that I've been seeing to get my haircut for 5+ years.

I don't trust anyone else.

Tc91

Pretty much.

I have one guy that I've been seeing to get my haircut for 5+ years.

I don't trust anyone else.

Guy cut mine for ages then left so I swapped to another guy at the same place, he cut it for about 2 years and now he's left as well.

A lady cut it last time, she did a pretty good job so I will be rebooking with her next time. Needs to be done soon anyway.

Top Bottom