• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT4| Did you see that Ludogorets display last night?

Tbf who is watching any of the international matches? The season just started and the world cup just ended, nobody cares.

I am sorry only joke nations don't care about international football. International football is ten times what club football is. Nothing greater than watching your nation win the world cup.

Poor viewing figures for England friendly.
According to Eurosport:
4.5 million people tuned in to watch England vs Norway on ITV
8.3 million watched the Great British Bake Off over on BBC 1

According to Paddy Power:
tv-ratings.jpg

All of those programmes sound like they were more entertaining than the England match last night.

And yes even number 75.

Blablurn

Greatness isn't an act. it is a habit. If I was a German right now, i would want to be emulating Spain's recent run, or the true greatness of the Italian and Brazilian repeats.

It's nice to want things.

But I still don't care about random friendlies and qualification games.

WJD

trying to find somewhere to live with about 2 weeks before I start working is so so shitty

my anxiety is through the fucking roof

feel like I'm going to be sick all the time

any assurances from people who have had to suddenly move to a completely different area are very welcome

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Ive got a free day, no idea what to do

Cant muppet over United either

Gah

FootballFan

I am sorry only joke nations don't care about international football. International football is ten times what club football is. Nothing greater than watching your nation win the world cup.

Who said I disagree with that? Nobody gives a shit about internationals weeks after the world cup was my point, unless you love celebrating victories in friendlies vs Montenegro.

It's nice to want things.

But I still don't care about random friendlies and qualification games.

Who said I disagree with that? Nobody gives a shit about internationals weeks after the world cup was my point, unless you love celebrating victories in friendlies vs Montenegro.

Yes, i care about every qualification game and pointless friendly. I want teams to fear Italy and be destroyed by us, sadly it never happens and even easy games are a fucking nightmare. How I look forward to these 12 months of Conte before he replaces Ancelotti at Real Madrid.

Jack cw

Yes, i care about every qualification game and pointless friendly. I want teams to fear Italy and be destroyed by us, sadly it never happens and even easy games are a fucking nightmare. How I look forward to these 12 months of Conte before he replaces Ancelotti at Real Madrid.

Germany made it pretty good with their friendlies as tests. Löw tested several players and formations and we had our glorious 4-4 against Sweden. It turned out that it was right to approach those games like that. Maybe it's something German but the club competition is way more interesting than watching a friendly with a tier 3 squad.

Clegg

New comic recommendation (for anyone that cares).

Ex Machina. Really good story about a superhero who becomes mayor of NYC.

Wilbur

Banned
Born In London, but Italian Irish. Italian citizen.

Maybe, I am the only muppet who actually cares about international football then.

I used to. Now I just see it as a distraction to club football, which is vastly more entertaining. Most national sides are disjointed messes due to not playing together all year.

Love the World Cup, but that's because there's football every day and a real atmosphere around the country as opposed to a huge desire to actually watch England.

Walshy

Why England play their home friendlies exclusively in Wembley is bizarre to me.

They should play in different stadiums all around the country and use Wembley for main qualifying games.

They should play in different stadiums all around the country and use Wembley for main qualifying games.

Well that's not going to pay for the staggering amount of debt the FA raised in re-building Wembley now is it?

I used to. Now I just see it as a distraction to club football, which is vastly more entertaining. Most national sides are disjointed messes due to not playing together all year.

Love the World Cup, but that's because there's football every day and a real atmosphere around the country as opposed to a huge desire to actually watch England.

It is true, that on average the football on show isnt as good as club football, However, for me it isn't about the quality, but what it means. Seeing those 11 guys representing your country feels so good. You can pick your club, but you can't pick your country. A defeat to England would feel 100 times worse to me, than an Arsenal defeat to Spurs. It pains me looking at how good and successful Germany and Brazil are.

Yeah this is stupid. Also FA Cup semi-finals should be played at different grounds too, ruins the whole experience of actually getting to Wembley for the final the way they do it nowadays :/

Wilbur

Banned
It is true, that on average the football on show isnt as good as club football, However, for me it isn't about the quality, but what it means. Seeing those 11 guys representing your country feels so good. You can pick your club, but you can't pick your country. A defeat to England would feel 100 times worse to me, than an Arsenal defeat to Spurs. It pains me looking at how good and successful Germany and Brazil are.

But I don't think you do pick your club. You couldn't naturally become attached to something so easily if you could just pick it like that. You might pick a club to follow but there's no guarantee you'll fall in love with it that way. Your club picks you.

Maybe part of the problem is being English; you can tell the managers of the PL clubs find it an inconvenience, you can tell many players' hearts aren't in it, and I've had to watch moronic decision after moronic decision by the England managers.

Also doesn't help that I hate people like Gerrard for 9/10ths of the year and then I'm expected to cheer him on :lol

DBT85

They have to pay off the ground since it was ridiculously over expensive.

Yen

New comic recommendation (for anyone that cares).

Ex Machina. Really good story about a superhero who becomes mayor of NYC.

Saga is also really good from the same writer.

Well that's not going to pay for the staggering amount of debt the FA raised in re-building Wembley now is it?

In the GAA after Croke Park was renovated/rebuilt in the mid-00's, refs would blow for full-time as soon as teams equalised in injury time, which conveniently meant a replay was to played at Croke Park again rather than extra time.

subtles

Shanks is a true patriot.

I have one request, ManU Gaf. If Falcao destroys us; please refrain from using him as an avatar. I feel this disturbing vibe coming from wilbz' at the moment.

Scum

Yeah this is stupid. Also FA Cup semi-finals should be played at different grounds too, ruins the whole experience of actually getting to Wembley for the final the way they do it nowadays :/

Then the FA and many others wonder why the FA Cup has lost its luster. They only do it to pay off Wembley. And don't get me started on fixture times.

Walshy

Yeah, you are right.

Wembley is still one of the most disappointing experiences I have had as a fan. The Millennium Stadium is better for me, Wembley is absolutely lifeless in atmosphere and ridiculously overpriced.

Rumours of free agent Jonas Gonçalves Oliveira ("Jonas"), previously Valencia, going to Manchester City now that Negredo is gone. Previously talk of Newcastle, QPR, Sunderland and Galatasaray a few days ago. 30 y/o, scored 10+ goals in the last three seasons in La Liga. Was previously Soldado's partner.

Whoever gets him will get a good player for free, doesn't seem to have gotten Spanish second nationality though so I'm not sure how they'll get work permit if he comes to England.

He's been heavily linked with Benfica. They might get him as they're desperate for a striker.

But I don't think you do pick your club. You couldn't naturally become attached to something so easily if you could just pick it like that. You might pick a club to follow but there's no guarantee you'll fall in love with it that way. Your club picks you.

Maybe part of the problem is being English; you can tell the managers of the PL clubs find it an inconvenience, you can tell many players' hearts aren't in it, and I've had to watch moronic decision after moronic decision by the England managers.

Also doesn't help that I hate people like Gerrard for 9/10ths of the year and then I'm expected to cheer him on :lol

Maybe you are right about the clubs on a national level, but with the globalisation of the game you don't see many foreign fans picking clubs other than the top 5 or 6.

I understand your Gerrard point, when it comes to Italian football I support Juve, but my two favourite players have always been Maldini and Totti, and I hope that Italians all over the league do well, except at Inter.

Shanks is a true patriot.

or a true fool, Italy does make it hard for me. Seeing Italy beat Holland 3-0 tonight will be a great feeling and feel me with pride.

I know a few people thought I was a muppet for thinking Italy would win the Wc and then they flopped, but I set myself up for the expectation of winning and when we did in 06 it was the greatest feeling on earth. And when we lose it stings like no other pain for me and I take the criticism.

caesar

Banned
or a true fool, Italy does make it hard for me. Seeing Italy beat Holland 3-0 tonight will be a great feeling and feel me with pride.

I know a few people thought I was a muppet for thinking Italy would win the Wc and then they flopped, but I set myself up for the expectation of winning and when we did in 06 it was the greatest feeling on earth. And when we lose it stings like no other pain for me and I take the criticism.
Just be happy youre not English. Least I saw my team promoted this year. (Lcfc)

operon

At least you have Ireland to fall back on

GorillaJu

trying to find somewhere to live with about 2 weeks before I start working is so so shitty

any assurances from people who have had to suddenly move to a completely different area are very welcome

Hello. Having moved countries and started work within a week of moving I feel qualified.

You're stressed because you want to do a good job. It's positive, not negative, so accept it. Things will calm down quickly once it's figured out. It's all temporary and you'll feel great when you've worked through it.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Without a doubt the best Oasis song is "Stop crying your heart out"

Don't have to move straight to London, right?

Could be worth just renting out a room for a month just outside London, or outside central London at least, to give yourself the time to find the best place you can

WJD

Don't have to move straight to London, right?

Could be worth just renting out a room for a month just outside London, or outside central London at least, to give yourself the time to find the best place you can

Oxfordshire m8, not London

That's why it's making me nervous I guess, I don't know a thing about the area and don't know anyone who lives around there. Dunno, I'm looking forward to the work, just keep getting (irrationally?) worked up about the living situation.

Oxfordshire m8, not London

That's why it's making me nervous I guess, I don't know a thing about the area and don't know anyone who lives around there. Dunno, I'm looking forward to the work, just keep getting (irrationally?) worked up about the living situation.

Oxfordshire? Piece of piss, move to Wycombe and commute from there :p

Scum

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/england/11074528/Brendan-Rodgers-should-be-the-next-manager-of-England-once-his-work-at-Liverpool-is-done.html

Didn't take long. Knew as soon as the media finally turned on Hodgey there was one way they were definitely going to go.

He's the best choice for me. But I wouldn't wish the job on him. Not with the current mob of cunts known as the FA in charge.
Liverpool will fight tooth & nail to keep him, so that'll leave the FA with their perfect choice -

iKmmmdHMxjC92.png

operon

It's not easy but can be done.

I did this when moving to Bristol. I went to see a flat and then when I got there they told me it had been let. A wasted trip. Then I found a place but at short notice had to pay a lot for it.

When I moved in I was all alone and I didn't even have internet, that took another 2 or 3 weeks to sort out.

People spoke funny and I had no friends.

It was dark.

But I'm still alive so I am sure you'll be okay m8.

Top Bottom