• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

WJD

I knew they'd go long at the end which is why I knew we'd struggle to hold on.

We are weak in the air. Diouf was beating Rojo all game, surprised they didn't revert to that tactic earlier.

Dunno why Rojo turns into a gibbering wreck whenever the ball goes above shoulder height.

Still, happy enough with him and Smalling tonight. Nice to have a moderately consistent back 5 at least.

DevotedIllArcticseal.gif

GroundedPinkGoral.gif

Life Savers

Wilbur

Banned
I knew they'd go long at the end which is why I knew we'd struggle to hold on.

We are weak in the air. Diouf was beating Rojo all game, surprised they didn't revert to that tactic earlier.

Rojo's a weird one because I quite like him but he just seems really vulnerable all the time.

At least Smalling's stepped up since the Arsenal game.

Another babystep.

Lee Mason is an idiot. Sterling should be allowed to headbutt him :p

Didn't concede from it, but we relinquish momentum far too easily. Once we're penned in, we're stuck there for too long. Not helped by the lack of pace on the break, which clearly frustrates Sterling who sees so many counterattacks fizzle out because we're just not quick enough to make it count.

Did what needed to be done. Onwards and upwards.

Honestly didn't think the performance was that bad considering the personnel. We controlled most of the game bar the last 5-10 minutes.

There was just some strangely silly decision making in the final third where players could easily be sent through on goal and the passes weren't made. Even then we really should've had at least a third goal/

The main thing we were lacking was pace from midfield to unsettle them. As soon as Young and Wilson ran at them they looked scared.

In all I thought it was still a better performance than say the one against Palace recently.

Shrug.

L1NETT

Massive result for Villa that. Nowt against Palace but do get a grin on when Colin Wanker fails.

---

Non-footy stuff, but nice to see Ubi literally putting no effort in at all with these last two ACs

First the French Revolution. Now fucking Victorian London. Could they use any more dull, over saturated, soulless locales. Crickey o mickey

scently

Whole thing was he should have passed to RVP for a simple tap in.

And RVP should have passed to him for a simple tap in.

And Fellani should not be out wide right putting balls into the box.

Our two outfield players today were Smalling and Rojo. I thought both did fine.

De Gea continues to be our GOAT.

I don't exactly know what you are trying to say but all players excepting the keeper are outfield players.

Anyway, scrappy win. We had a ton of chances but we couldn't finish. This is becoming an issue.

Also, as others have said, we lacked creativity and we kept slowing down play. Young and Valencia should have taken on their fullbacks a bit more and, more importantly, deliver good balls. Mata, Felliani and Herrera were poor, especially as creative force, although they all did something to redeem themselves at the end of the day. Carrick was man marked, sometimes with 2 players on him.

The strikers had no service whatsoever. This is where we really miss Rooney and ADM. I really hope we get them back for the Southampton game, at least one of them, preferably both. Their influence is really missed.

Wilson is still so raw though. Kept taking too much touches,thinking he has the whole time in the world. Falcao should come in for the next game.

Weird game. This is a game we should have won comfortably, yet somehow it turned into a nervy win. Thank God for De Gea, dude is class.

Clegg

We're winning games with wingers playing as fullbacks. Defence isn't as shaky as it was a couple of months ago either. The team is improving bit by bit. Hopefully we'll be good once we get a run with no injuries.

So good to see Wilson do the kind of thing he was doing in the academy sides last season. Just breaking past the backline and running on goal. He is going to be a very good player. Need to get him games!

Honestly didn't think the performance was that bad considering the personnel. We controlled most of the game bar the last 5-10 minutes.

There was just some strangely silly decision making in the final third where players could easily be sent through on goal and the passes weren't made. Even then we really should've had at least a third goal/

The main thing we were lacking was pace from midfield to unsettle them. As soon as Young and Wilson ran at them they looked scared.

In all I thought it was still a better performance than say the one against Palace recently.

Shrug.

Yep I agree. It was patchy for sure but we were really wasteful. Missed an open goal and at least 3 attempts which were one on ones we didn't even hit the target, poor.

Hope for a Chelsea win (lol, nailed on) and Saints win/draw tomorrow now.

Would leave us with a bit of a buffer ahead of the likely contenders for the top 4 finish.

Couple of big games coming but we can go into them on the front foot at least. Need to bag some wins, not good enough to just show some fight in these games, you have to win them and Saints/Liverpool aren't where Chelsea and City are at all.

K1LLER7

Fellaini needs to move the ball on quicker and needs to play more threatening passes behind the opposition defence. Today he constantly went for the safer option.

Also happy with Wilson. Baring that one chance where he should have passed (hopefully he'll learn from it) he stepped up in the 2nd half and started to look threatening as he ran with the ball. Would like for him to get more chances but I could see Falcao getting the start next week if Rooney is out.

Woodward needs to throw the £££ at De Gea.

Fellaini needs to move the ball on quicker and needs to play more threatening passes behind the opposition defence. Today he constantly went for the safer option.

Also happy with Wilson. Baring that one chance where he should have passed (hopefully he'll learn from it) he stepped up in the 2nd half and started to look threatening as he ran with the ball. Would like for him to get more chances but I could see Falcao getting the start next week if Rooney is out.

Woodward needs to throw the £££ at De Gea.

Not sure that is or should be Fellaini's role tbh, do we really want to see him trying through balls and dinks? He can't do that. It's the responsibility of Herrera and Mata and the two forwards also I guess, they can't just stand up there and wait for the ball.

Fellaini is there to provide the height and muscle in blunt terms and he is doing that just fine - whether we should have someone playing that role alone in the team is the question. (For now I think the answer is we have no choice).

De Gea won't come down to money. Madrid can offer him just as much as we can.

Clegg

I don't think it's about money for De Gea. He could demand anything and we'd pay it. He wants the status of being the no1 for the biggest club in the world. Plus I think he'd just rather like to move back home.

K1LLER7

Manchester United boss Louis van Gaal:

"It was not our best performance. We were not aggressive enough in the first half, we didn't keep our position on the pitch. I was not pleased at half time - and I told them. The second half was better, we created more chances but we need to score more goals."

"Then Peter Crouch comes on, you know the long balls are coming and it is always difficult. But I'm pleased we held this result. The last few moments were not necessary but it is always like that. We have struggled until the end in the Premier League - it is common."

"I'm happy with the result - tomorrow we have a Christmas party and it's important we can enjoy that."

On Wayne Rooney and Angel Di Maria's injuries: "Wayne has a scan tomorrow and then we will know more. I'm pleased Di Maria's injury is not so heavy. We've got more players coming back and we can see a little more light in the tunnel."

K1LLER7

Not sure that is or should be Fellaini's role tbh, do we really want to see him trying through balls and dinks? He can't do that. It's the responsibility of Herrera and Mata and the two forwards also I guess, they can't just stand up there and wait for the ball.

Fellaini is there to provide the height and muscle in blunt terms and he is doing that just fine - whether we should have someone playing that role alone in the team is the question. (For now I think the answer is we have no choice).

De Gea won't come down to money. Madrid can offer him just as much as we can.
Hes done a good job in terms of adding strength, height and solidness to the midfield, but there are times where he slows the play down often which he can improve on. I agree its the role of Mata, Herrera, Carrick and Di Maria to be the creative force in our team. We missed Rooney dropping deep and linking up with the mid and strike today. RVP wasn't as good at it imo.

I don't think it's about money for De Gea. He could demand anything and we'd pay it. He wants the status of being the no1 for the biggest club in the world. Plus I think he'd just rather like to move back home.
Best keeper in the league. We need to find a way to keep him or line up a good replacement who'll stay for the long-term :(

Great game, we deserved more. We should finish our chances but we dominated the whole game. We need to be more aggressive and less tentative in the attack but that will change when we get Rooney back. Last minute heroics were great.

Have any of you guys tried shitting yourself that bad in your adult life? I mean properly shit yourself like that right there, not just a wet fart that you needed to wipe away afterwards.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Its good we ground that out, 4 wins in a row is nothing to snark at (ive tried), no Di Maria Monday is a worry. We have the formings of a good team and he, Rooney and De Gea are our only 3 world class players (in terms of form) at the moment. I worry a bit about Southampton, even going forward, would be nice for one of RvP and Falcao to be on some form going into it.

K1LLER7

Its good we ground that out, 4 wins in a row is nothing to snark at (ive tried), no Di Maria Monday is a worry. We have the formings of a good team and he, Rooney and De Gea are our only 3 world class players (in terms of form) at the moment. I worry a bit about Southampton, even going forward, would be nice for one of RvP and Falcao to be on some form going into it.
Fellaini m8.

Scored, injured his neck and still played the full 90 mins. #Respect.

X

Xpike

Unconfirmed Member
I can't see Jared Leto as anything but part of 30 Seconds to Mars, it feels weird seeing him as an actor.

GorillaJu

I'm just thrilled we scored 3 goals in a game where we won without completely dominating it. These are the kinds of wins we're desperate for.

Top Bottom