• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2014/15 |OT9| - How the Snitch stole all the banter

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
One of the main reasons I wanted it was to get rid of the store credit. 4 years of PS+ renewals it is :s

I can wait

do-you-understand-the-words.gif

I understand, and I disregard. I only really wanted to buy it because I've already got the funds available on PSN, no matter how little it costs on foreign stores on PC.

Could maybe play the first one in the meantime, even though it seems to have dated pretty badly, graphically at least.

One shot on target

fuckingdisgrace.gif

Next 2 games will probably see Rodgers sacked unfortunately. Probably knocked out of the CL on Wednesday, and Stoke aren't exactly the kind of team you want to play against when the team is playing like a bunch of fucking pussies.

Why do you care about Dortmund this year?

Their season is over.

How is it over? We're still in the DFB cup and the CL. And before you make any jokes about the DFB cup, that's the German equivalent of the only trophy Arsenal has won in the last ten years or something.

And for the league, it fucking sucks, yes. But look at this matchday, Wolfsburg, Gladbach, Hannover and Hoffenheim lost. We actually got 1 point closer to the CL spots :lol And it's still only 9 points to place 4. If we finally get our shit together, we can still do it.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
One shot on target

fuckingdisgrace.gif

Next 2 games will probably see Rodgers sacked unfortunately. Probably knocked out of the CL on Wednesday, and Stoke aren't exactly the kind of team you want to play against when the team is playing like a bunch of fucking pussies.

5 points away from 4th place is still not that bad. A bit of Django, winter signings and consistency and you'll be back up in no time.

Lightning

Banned
How is it over? We're still in the DFB cup and the CL. And before you make any jokes about the DFB cup, that's the German equivalent of the only trophy Arsenal has won in the last ten years or something.

And for the league, it fucking sucks, yes. But look at this matchday, Wolfsburg, Gladbach, Hannover and Hoffenheim lost. We actually got 1 point closer to the CL spots :lol And it's still only 9 points to place 4. If we finally get our shit together, we can still do it.
But that means Leverkusen and Schalke got wins. Despite the table aren't Leverkusen and Schalke the bigger threats? They're better teams.

One shot on target

fuckingdisgrace.gif

Sacking Rodgers would be crazy for Liverpool. Can't get anyone better atm and he deserves better after what he's done. He's gone from messiah to sack him after next loss in the space of 10 games. That's insanity. Liverpool fans need to get behind their team rather than be dooms sayers.

Leave that shit to Arsenal fans. They've mastered the art of split fanbase creating negative atmosphere after every and any defeat.

5 points away from 4th place is still not that bad. A bit of Django, winter signings and consistency and you'll be back up in no time.

1) Still got 5 or so league games til he comes back
2) He'll probably get injured again either when he returns, or before
3) He can't fix us on his own
4) He won't stop Rodgers repeating these mistakes over and over
5) We're falling further behind every weekend
6) We're unlikely to spend much in January, as we can't be trusted to spend wisely
7) Lovren

We're fucked. First things first, get away from the relegation battle. Silly even thinking about Europe next season at this point. Think about how bad you think we've been this season, and we've actually been far worse. At this point, many fans would probably take a draw against Stoke just to end the losing run.

Is it ageist to think bands like Judas Priest are just embarassing now?

:lol

What ad is that from? It deserves a gif.
Could be Nivea, not sure about it. I'd look for it but my connection sucks atm.

Nivea, Ringo, Samsung, Fifa, that hair thing and probably a few more. El Shaa has made more ads than goals in the past 12 months. #OptaMilan

But that means Leverkusen and Schalke got wins. Despite the table aren't Leverkusen and Schalke the bigger threats? They're better teams.

Possibly. But they both aren't teams that will just pull off a nearly perfect rest of the season, either. Schmidt's defending tactics are vulnerable and Schlacke is just playing shit football. They will definitely drop more than a few points. And Schacke is "just" 6 points ahead, so even if two of Gladbach/Wolfsburg/Leverkusen are having a great season and we can't reach them, 4th place is possible.

Hitch, that Manquillo lad seems a bit shit. Did he have a brilliant season in Spain or something?

He's okay imo. For some reason we use him as our sole attacking fullback, even though he shits himself whenever he gets near the box and Moreno is far more threatening than him when he goes forward.

We also allow our fullbacks to get completely isolated against their wingers multiple times a game, which is a nightmare when we come up against anyone with pace and unpredictability.

Flanagan should be back soon. He's not hugely better, but tbh it will be nice to play someone who we actually own at rightback.

Lightning

Banned
Possibly. But they both aren't teams that will just pull off a nearly perfect rest of the season, either. Schmidt's defending tactics are vulnerable and Schlacke is just playing shit football. They will definitely drop more than a few points. And Schacke is "just" 6 points ahead, so even if two of Gladbach/Wolfsburg/Leverkusen are having a great season and we can't reach them, 4th place is possible.
Of course 4ths possible. There's only 12 points between 2nd and 16th. That's not a lot of points when we're only in November.

Regarding my post about our game coming up. For our confidence alone it's important, more than just winning the group at stake because that's finished but lifting the morale of our players will boost us if we can win. A loss and it's another log on the fire which isn't helpful.

Oh shut up Bruce you blockheaded fuck.

'Vertonghen is rolling around'

No he fucking isn't. He gets legit tripped up, and gets up when Ramirez and he are disentagled. I'm not a fan of Vertonghen, but he's done nothing at all wrong there.

LTWheels

Whether or not Rodgers is given any money in Jan will be an indicator of his future I think.

Or they strip him of transfer powers and buy players for him.

Our biggest problem is being hit on the break, especially when our attack breaks down and we lose the ball. I don't think any of our defenders our necessary bad, but the problem is that they are given too big spaces to defend. This makes it easy to make mistake, plus lack of protection from the rest of the team. The problem is with the tactics of our team. You could put Kompany into our defence and he wouldn't look much better than Lovren.

Jack cw

Amazing how you still talk about international competition, when you managed to win only 2 out of 12 and 11 points scored. Your math is also wrong, because there are two thirds of the season left and the other teams wont suddenly stop scoring. If you take the last 5 years in Bundesliga as reference, the average points you need to qualify for the 4th CL place is around 62 points. You need at least 52 points out of the remaining 22 matches to be on 4th position. That means you need and average score ratio of 2,36 points (that is the average of points Bayern scores at the moment), which is massive and extremely difficult in your current situation and form.

Don't make the mistake like some persons in your club and focus on relegation. Your opponents arent Leverkusen, Schalke, Gladbach or Wolfsburg, but Freiburg, Hamburg, Bremen and Stuttgart. And another math fact. In order to reach a CL place you also need to score against the direct competition. If I recall correct, you lost against most of the top 5 this season excluding Gladbach.

In the end I hope you guys make it somewhere into midfield and forget this season and start thinking about the system and the squad.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Bono and Axl Rose are about on the same level of embarrasing. Although Axl probably wins out due to being so fat he can barely get the first few words of each sentence out, before being out of breath.

Whether or not Rodgers is given any money in Jan will be an indicator of his future I think.

Or they strip him of transfer powers and buy players for him.

I don't trust Rodgers to do it himself, and I don't trust the Committee to do it all on his behalf either :(

Don't have a fucking clue how we fix our transfers. Give Rodgers all the power, and we probably end up with players who are just as bad. Give it to a DoF, and Rodgers walks. Give it to the Committee, and we get both.

Speaking of transfers, has the time come to give Markovic a spell in the U21s? He can't be learning anything or adapting sitting on the sidelines every game. And if he thinks he's too good for the U21s, he can fuck off.

LTWheels

I don't trust Rodgers to do it himself, and I don't trust the Committee to do it all on his behalf either :(

Don't have a fucking clue how we fix our transfers. Give Rodgers all the power, and we probably end up with players who are just as bad. Give it to a DoF, and Rodgers walks. Give it to the Committee, and we get both.

Speaking of transfers, has the time come to give Markovic a spell in the U21s? He can't be learning anything or adapting sitting on the sidelines every game. And if he thinks he's too good for the U21s, he can fuck off.

I don't think he would walk if we got in a DoF. He's not going to get a chance to manage as big a club for a long time if he was to walk now. His cred it not that high. Based on how we are playing this season + history in the transfer market, puts him in a weaker negotiating position.

So much power shouldn't be in the hands of the manager, as they only really last for a few years. Every time a new manager comes in they want to change the philosophy. This means making changes from the first team all the way down to the academy. We need to club to have the philosophy that doesn't change, with managers bought in who are forded to play that style.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
seriously guys, just watch that video...0:55....fucking CRINGE :loool

Bono and Axl Rose are about on the same level of embarrasing. Although Axl probably wins out due to being so fat he can barely get the first few words of each sentence out, before being out of breath.

why can't he just fucking retire with dignity (don't know if that's even possible anymore)

his inflated ego is whats keeping him going

I don't think he would walk if we got in a DoF. He's not going to get a chance to manage as big a club for a long time if he was to walk now. His cred it not that high. Based on how we are playing this season + history in the transfer market, puts him in a weaker negotiating position.

Imagine if we got Commoli back

Imagine it.

I really wonder who was responsible for targetting Coutinho and Sturridge.

Lightning

Banned

Rodgers walks and his chances of ever managing a top 4 club again in the epl walk with him.

Liverpool without Suarez and Sturridge are rather impotent, but they will be up for us when we visit.

Its not a case of being up for it at the moment. We were up for it against Madrid, and it lasted for 20 minutes. Same happened in the Chelsea match. Haven't got the personnel now to either sustain intensity for long, or to blow teams away in the first half

iirc we've only taken a 2-goal lead once this season, in all competitions

Lightning

Banned
Sickens me what Wenger says we weren't rewarded when Wilshere missed a golden chance and all we did was give De Gea goalkeeping practice without actually testing him.

Arteta says result wasn't fair. I'm not sure where he gets that from when we gave them 2 goals and didn't take our multiple chances. Same with Swansea, should have been 2 routine wins but no, Arsenal will find a way to lose. 6 points down the tube, 2 points against Spurs thrown away, 2 points against City thrown away, Hull game thrown away. When you actually go through it, it's depressing.

Amazing how you still talk about international competition, when you managed to win only 2 out of 12 and 11 points scored. Your math is also wrong, because there are two thirds of the season left and the other teams wont suddenly stop scoring. If you take the last 5 years in Bundesliga as reference, the average points you need to qualify for the 4th CL place is around 62 points. You need at least 52 points out of the remaining 22 matches to be on 4th position. That means you need and average score ratio of 2,36 points (that is the average of points Bayern scores at the moment), which is massive and extremely difficult in your current situation and form.

Don't make the mistake like some persons in your club and focus on relegation. Your opponents arent Leverkusen, Schalke, Gladbach or Wolfsburg, but Freiburg, Hamburg, Bremen and Stuttgart. And another math fact. In order to reach a CL place you also need to score against the direct competition. If I recall correct, you lost against most of the top 5 this season excluding Gladbach.

In the end I hope you guys make it somewhere into midfield and forget this season and start thinking about the system and the squad.

I just wanted to show that the season is not over for us.

I know we shouldn't talk about CL places right now. The target is to win the next 5 Bundesliga matches. It sure will be hard but we have to start winning sometime.

But let's also not make ourselves smaller than we are. We wanted to give Bayern a proper challenge this season. We got 39 points in the second half of the last season and we could have easily had even more. If we finish this year off with decent results, everything is possible. Except the title, obviously :lol

Jack cw

I just wanted to show that the season is not over for us.

I know we shouldn't talk about CL places right now. The target is to win the next 5 Bundesliga matches. It sure will be hard but we have to start winning sometime.

But let's also not make ourselves smaller than we are. We wanted to give Bayern a proper challenge this season. We got 39 points in the second half of the last season and we could have easily had even more. If we finish this year off with decent results, everything is possible. Except the title, obviously :lol

I like your optimism, but with Reus and Hummels out, I think it wont get easier.
The problem you have have can't be fixed within a few days, it's basic relegation fight with all it's side effects, like many of your individual mistakes in defence or the sudden break in your game once the opposition socres and the decrease of power in the second half, etc. Let's be honest, you were strong against Gladbach but if it wasn't for the own goal of the century it would have been another 2 points lost. I seriously don't see much of a progression in Dortmunds game and all the talk about targets and "the next match is the turn" are dangerous. Sure, everything is possible but realistically BVB is in terrible shape right now and Watzke is right when he says, all the players and coaching staff should not forget that they are on 16th place.

Andrej Kramarić confirmed his father is in London to negotiate... No words on Chelsea or Spurs though. Seems like a weird transfer, but I guess as a third/fourth choice it wouldn't be bad.

I like your optimism, but with Reus and Hummels out, I think it wont get easier.
The problem you have have can't be fixed within a few days, it's basic relegation fight with all it's side effects, like many of your individual mistakes in defence or the sudden break in your game once the opposition socres and the decrease of power in the second half, etc. Let's be honest, you were strong against Gladbach but if it wasn't for the own goal of the century it would have been another 2 points lost. I seriously don't see much of a progression in Dortmunds game and all the talk about targets and "the next match is the turn" are dangerous. Sure, everything is possible but realistically BVB is in terrible shape right now and Watzke is right when he says, all the players and coaching staff should not forget that they are on 16th place.

Actually, I think we should just forget we are on 16th place :lol. It's obviously killing our confidence. But what else should we say about the next match? "Oh, maybe we'll win this. But we're happy with a draw as well."? Yeah, that's not helping either. We want to win the next match, easy as that.

And we don't need to change that much really. It's just that we need to score those goals, not concede the easy ones and not stop to play football after 45 minutes. Which is easier said than done.

El Topo

Actually, I think we should just forget we are on 16th place :lol. It's obviously killing our confidence. But what else should we say about the next match? "Oh, maybe we'll win this. But we're happy with a draw as well."? Yeah, that's not helping either. We want to win the next match, easy as that.

And we don't need to change that much really. It's just that we need to score those goals, not concede the easy ones and not stop to play football after 45 minutes. Which is easier said than done.

We really shouldn't have bought Lewandowski. I feel bad now. I mean...Dortmund is playing pretty great, they just can't seem to score (enough) despite a plethora of chances.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

avoid relegation and win the CL

KidJr

I'm trying to remember if there has ever been a point during since me supporting Arsenal we've ever been this incompetent. If it wasnt for my NBA team and Lewis winning this weekend I would have been a broken man.

Top Bottom