• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2015/16 |OT| The Great American Sport

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gerrard is a bit of an ungrateful knobend when it comes to Rafa imo

Rafa always moulded the entire team to try and get the best out of Gerrard, and he oversaw easily the best teams Gerrard ever played in. Think Gerrard puts too much stock in man-managers and not enough in cold yet competent ones, the way he talks about Rafa compared to the others he played under.
Yeah, it does seem that way. Rafa might not have been the friendliest manager to work with but he's the most successful manager we've had in my lifetime.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
I'm sorry, I didn't quite understand the question. Can you reformulate please? I feel so bad lol, this almost never happens to me. But if you could, please ask it again using other words?

I'm just taking the piss

What he said yesterday did throw me off, it just seemed like such a random thing to say given the current situation within Europe.

spidye

That's hilarious, you know I could easily post something about two finals with shit decisions going your way in the last two years.

But I'd rather continue to watch Mario Götze baking a cake.

as I said you win some you lose some. I'm not even mad at the dfb cup call.
because we had our share of luck too

Why aren't we guys discussing what is happenning to Gladbach instead of discussing this weekend's penalty kick? The situation there is dire to say the least.

Why aren't we guys discussing what is happenning to Gladbach instead of discussing this weekend's penalty kick? The situation there is dire to say the least.
It's not that surprising really.

Everyone at Gladbach played beyond their best last season.
Kruse and Kramer left, Stranzl is injured. Key players that haven't been replaced properly.
Herrmann is terrible again.
Eberl and Favre did the same terrible mistake and tried to replace a playing forward Kruse/Reus with a rather classic striker Drmic/de Jong.

Jarnet87

I wonder if Martial gets the start against PSV. Also lets hope Depay can continue his European form at least, because he's been dog shit in the prem. I wonder if that sub at half time for Young is a sign that we may start to see Young get the nod and work Depay on as a sub. Too much being asked of him from the beginning.

Lol.

Great club. Great supporters. Istanbul. The Gerrard final. I certainly wouldn't regret that.

I dunno man. Imagine being at the top of your field for fifteen years and only having four significant medals to show for it. And other than that you were pretty much never even close to being in a competitive team.

I'd probably think I could have done better.

Meier

So Im fairly new to soccer but a big Man City fan. I take their CL group no longer looks as tough as it did 2 weeks ago?
All 3 of our opponents have had tough starts to their season but Sevilla and Juve will turn it around. Gladbach looks like they're in for a tough go this season in general though which is fortunate. I think it'll still be a very tough group -- a win tomorrow is vital.

I dunno man. Imagine being at the top of your field for fifteen years and only having four significant medals to show for it. And other than that you were pretty much never even close to being in a competitive team.

Different priorities I guess. I'd have rather won any medals with Liverpool than more with another team. But then I am slightly biased.

Different priorities I guess. I'd have rather won any medals with Liverpool than more with another team. But then I am slightly biased.

Yeah I get what you mean, but I never really had the impression Gerrard was as loyal as he always wanted to appear to be. Like, Ryan Giggs was a one-club-man and I could never imagine him ever wanting to leave United, but there were definitely times Gerrard would have fucked off if he could in order to win the stuff he wanted to win.

Whether Gerrard regrets staying for so long or not, the fact is the only manager he's constantly having a pop at is the one who did the most for him.

And harsh as it sounds, its kind of his own fault that he doesn't have a league medal. Its not often you can pinpoint a single error that costs a team the league, but Gerrard's against Chelsea is as close as it gets.

Comparing Gerrard and Giggs' loyalty has always been a bit silly. Giggs never had a reason to leave.

Kuros

Ignoring the slip i'm sure he has regrets but he won the Champions League for Liverpool and he's a scouser. That alone probably would mean more to him than league medals with another team.

He's right on one thing. Selling Xabi for Barry, who ended up not coming was fucking braindead.

Non-Chelsea fans who hate us should get some popcorn because this run is only going to get worse. That said, I do not think we will sack Jose

So Im fairly new to soccer but a big Man City fan. I take their CL group no longer looks as tough as it did 2 weeks ago?

City have always been a bit of a different beast in the CL compare to the PL so we won't really know until they play a game or two but the problem is not that it looks tough - they should have been doing better than they have done.

Ignoring the slip i'm sure he has regrets but he won the Champions League for Liverpool and he's a scouser. That alone probably would mean more to him than league medals with another team.

He's right on one thing. Selling Xabi for Barry, who ended up not coming was fucking braindead.

It was not a good idea, but it wasn't as bad as is made out imo

Barry had played very well for a fair few seasons, while Alonso had had a couple of pretty disappointing ones. 08/09 was a massive improvement for Alonso, that wasn't his normal standard at the time. Bridge had already been burned though :(

Get a feeling Alonso would have left regardless, it was Real Madrid after all.

Liverpool vs Chelsea relegation clash. 2 parked buses.

The problem there is our bus is missing its right side and yours has bullet holes all over it.

7-6 to us!

I'd take it. Maybe not the relagation bit, but having had it reinforced that our defense is still as shit as it was, I just wanna see us score some goals like the good old days.

Anyone know when Henderson is back? He's not world class or anything, but our midfield is a joke. Aside from Henderson all of them have at least one glaring weakness.

Blackhead

Redarse
Comparing Gerrard and Giggs' loyalty has always been a bit silly. Giggs never had a reason to leave.

That is fair
Eh, Giggs was heavily linked to Inter at one point, was out of the first team at the time and booed by the fans for 'poor' performances. That was a good enough reason to leave. In comparison Gerrard was always club captain, practically undroppable, with the team designed to cater to his needs and weakness.

Eh, Giggs was heavily linked to Inter at one point, was out of the first team at the time and booed by the fans for 'poor' performances. That was a good enough reason to leave. In comparison Gerrard was always club captain, practically undroppable, with the team designed to cater to his needs and weakness.

He says himself in that article that the success has been a factor in him never having any desire to leave.

Blackhead

Redarse
He says himself in that article that the success has been a factor in him never having any desire to leave.

Agreed, just pointing out that there were some reasons for Giggs to leave even though he wasn't inclined to. Beckham left. Nicky Butt left. Neville left. Giggs deserves some props for sticking through the tough times too.

Empty

benitez's coldness made gerrard a better player, it forced him to be disciplined tactically on the pitch which took better advantage of his talents and it made gerrard fill the emotional void with his own passion and leadership on the pitch. rodgers just pandered to him over the years and gerrard was terrible for rodgers outside of penalties. however gerrard is an unambitious player that liked most to be the king of his little fiefdom than to win trophies and be a part of a truly great side, so it makes sense that he likes managers that make him feel warm and fuzzy and like that king than those who help bring him closer and to (in the case on the cl) genuine success if he makes gerrard feel shitty.

the line about fergie's glee at rafa's facts rants and how he spread that to his players is absolutely wonderful though.

Lyng

So the Danish Fc Midtjylland are now being punished with a 60.000 kr fine and 1500 less fans in their first Chl match.
Why? Because apparently a fan yelled faggot at a Saints player.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
So the Danish Fc Midtjylland are now being punished with a 60.000 kr fine and 1500 less fans in their first Chl match.
Why? Because apparently a fan yelled faggot at a Saints player.

Good.

Need to kick this type of behaviour out of the sport.

LNBL

Soooooooooo excited for tomorrow, Champions League is finally back in Eindhoven. I don't think we are chanceless against this Manchester United.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom