• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2016/17 & Offseason |OT2| Wenger In Fam! Wenger Out Blud!

sammex

I don't doubt that they were indeed well compensated, however they might still have ambitions or want to be payed more. that is the business side of things, I'm sure Southampton fans are sick if and mad because it keeps happening and probably demanding Liverpool head for it.

I'm pretty sure Southampton fans are happy to be where they after 8 years out of the top flight but obviously all fans want to keep their best players. But that's besides the point, you made out like there was some sting by the Southampton board involving private investigators because they're upset about getting lots of money for their players, in some instances, more than they they're worth (Lovren, Lallana, Lambert). That's not the case here. They would sell at a record price for a defender, there's no doubt about that, but LFC trod on some toes by leaking to the press and that's what has pissed them off. All transfers involve tapping up to some degree and all clubs do it.

Dark Rider

I'm pretty sure Southampton fans are happy to be where they after 8 years out of the top flight but obviously all fans want to keep their best players. But that's besides the point, you made out like there was some sting by the Southampton board involving private investigators because they're upset about getting lots of money for their players, in some instances, more than they they're worth (Lovren, Lallana, Lambert). That's not the case here. They would sell at a record price for a defender, there's no doubt about that, but LFC trod on some toes by leaking to the press and that's what has pissed them off. All transfers involve tapping up to some degree and all clubs do it.

I supposed I didn't phrase it the way I wanted it to sound like. I know that Southampton board are happy with the money but guess what can be done to increase those prices? by making sure that Liverpool go through the proper channels to force their hand as much as possible. Tapping the players directly and making deals with them would undermine Southampton leverage to extort as much money as possible from Liverpool. Now since Liverpool is a regular customer Southampton board were ready to cut any tapping for maximum profit (and I'm sure if the deals didn't go through they will be happy to get better table place for the next season + inflate the prices even more next season) and I wouldn't be surprised if private investigators were employed to insure that. On the other hand you have Liverpool who would like to poach Southampton players for as cheap as possible and they know that making the players force Southampton hand was the most effective way of reducing the prices but they did the stupid mistake of getting caught admitting the tapping. Southampton were ready to go for the throat of course.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I don't doubt that they were indeed well compensated, however they might still have ambitions or want to be payed more. that is the business side of things, I'm sure Southampton fans are sick if and mad because it keeps happening and probably demanding Liverpool head for it.

as a Saints fan I can say I'm not sick of it. I know we don't have the budget to keep big players. Even in the world of mega TV deals we'll never compete with the top 6 in prestige or money.

I'm happy enough to see players go if 1) they aren't dicks about it and respect the club that gave them the chance 2) they get a decent price because Saints don't need to sell so nobody is going to take the piss. They all know that now.

TimmmV

Amazing how Liverpool can fuck up enough to get me pissed off about signing a player I had huge reservations over due to the massive fee he'd command

So fucking incompetent. There was/is no advantage whatsoever of briefing the press like that before the transfer is done - everyone knew Liverpool were interested so that should have been enough

The one silver lining from this is that hopefully the club learn from the backlash and pull their fingers out. Should be trying to seal transfers like City have been, not this mess.

sammex

I think what really pissed Southampton off is that by leaking that VVD prefers Liverpool it effectively stopped any bidding war raising his price about the mooted £50m. If VVD kicked up a fuss and put in a transfer request now, Southampton would probably push even harder with their complaint about tapping up. Can't see anyway this repairs itself unless we offered like £80M up front (never going to happen). VVD will probably stay another season before moving to another top 6 club.

TimmmV

Yeah, Southampton have every right to be pissed, because its effectively ended a bidding war

Sounds like Liverpool are shitting themselves over any potential transfer ban, so I doubt anything will happen with van Dijk now, just because the risk is way too high.

Edit: saying that, I still stand by what I said a few posts ago, transfer bans for tapping up are too harsh imo

TimmmV

Haha. Apology. They're only sorry they got caught.

well duh.

Liverpool will (and should) be tapping up other targets right now

It's nonsensical to go for a player without knowing whether they actually want to play for your club first

But yeah, they just don't have to be dicks and aggressively leak everything to the press at the same time

TimmmV

IIRC Herrera had a buyout clause. Could be wrong tho.

Which is fine - my point is that United were hardly "sly" about wanting him. Everyone knew they wanted him, and he bought out his own buyout fee so he could sign for United - you don't do that without a concrete financial agreement with the buying club

yagal

Frank de Boer in talks with Palace about manager position.

How should I, as a Palace fan, feel about that?

tumblr_inline_msve3gqZoe1ryjxsa.jpg

Yeah, Southampton have every right to be pissed, because its effectively ended a bidding war

Sounds like Liverpool are shitting themselves over any potential transfer ban, so I doubt anything will happen with van Dijk now, just because the risk is way too high.

Edit: saying that, I still stand by what I said a few posts ago, transfer bans for tapping up are too harsh imo

What I find so funny and hypocritical of Southampton is that they tapped up VvD when he was at Celtic. So I say fuck them and move on.

And also why are we constantly being linked with Oxlade-Chamberlain? I hope we don't get him because personally the guy wouldn't improve Liverpool at all. I don't think he is all that good and there would be better players Liverpool could buy for the price I see being quoted around. The guy is bang average.

What I find so funny and hypocritical of Southampton is that they tapped up VvD when he was at Celtic. So I say fuck them and move on.

And also why are we constantly being linked with Oxlade-Chamberlain? I hope we don't get him because personally the guy wouldn't improve Liverpool at all. I don't think he is all that good and there would be better players Liverpool could buy for the price I see being quoted around. The guy is bang average.

You never know he may reach his potential one day… Just like the fabled potential of Walcot, Wilshere, and Welbeck. LOL.

James 'ruined' himself

Isco was in the same position. Took Bale's injury as a chance and elevated himself as a very important piece of the double.

James just whined and made the nt the priority. That does not fly in top stage bud.

Sad. A team like Arse, if he is up to it, can be good for his abilities and for the nt

Pachimari

Spanish media are saying that Morata to Man U is very close. No word on the fee yet.
Yup. He has agreed terms with Manchester United apparently but we've rejected the €60 million offer from Manchester United. We want more than €75 million but I wouldn't be surprised to see him go for €70 million.

Also, our new kits leaked today.

It also sees like Donnarumma is rejecting contract extensions with AC Milan and Sky in Italy mentions we are interested, so he could be joining on a free next season. Probably even to be the understudy of Keylor.

Beefy

Again. We complained because some one from your club had a press briefing with 3 journos. Who told them Van Dijk had agreed to join them and it was ok to write a article on it. That is dumb as fuck thing to do and they rightfully got called out on it.

Stop confusing "normal" everyday tapping up with being dumb enough to do what Liverpool did.

Beefy

SkyKaveh

Sky in Italy: Man United make new improved £35m bid for Inter Milan winger Ivan Perisic. Inter holding out for £44m. Perisic wants to leave

Again. We complained because some one from your club had a press briefing with 3 journos. Who told them Van Dijk had agreed to join them and it was ok to write a article on it. That is dumb as fuck thing to do and they rightfully got called out on it.

Stop confusing "normal" everyday tapping up with being dumb enough to do what Liverpool did.

Calm down bruh. The fact is your club is still a hypocrite. They were reported for tapping up Matt Phillips back in 2012. And they escaped with Celtic doing the same to them. But here they are throwing their toys out the pram because someone is supposedly doing it to them. So yeah

Beefy

Calm down bruh. The fact is your club is still a hypocrite. They were reported for tapping up Matt Phillips back in 2012. And they escaped with Celtic doing the same to them. But here they are throwing their toys out the pram because someone is supposedly doing it to them. So yeah
I am calm. Again we only reported you when some one gave a press briefing. Everyone taps up, not every one is dumb enough to brief the press about it. This isn't really about the tapping up, it's how you went about doing it. Stop trying to pass the buck because your club got caught being dumb as shit. 😂

I am calm. Again we only reported you when some one gave a press briefing. Everyone taps up, not every one is dumb enough to brief the press about it. This isn't really about the tapping up, it's how you went about doing it. Stop trying to pass the buck because your club got caught being dumb as shit. 😂

But you got reported about Matt Philips because someone from your club reported it to the press though. It's the same situation. So are you saying your club is dumb as shit also?

Beefy

But you got reported about Matt Philips because someone from your club reported it to the press though. It's the same situation. So are you saying your club is dumb as shit also?
Yep. I'm not a crazy fan that wants to defend a club if it fucks up (not saying you are one either).

Also Lander have bought us now, well 80% of the club. So more Chinese in the Prem.

Beefy

Virgil van Dijk took part in detailed talks with Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp over where he would fit into his team, as the level of unsanctioned contact between the Southampton defender and the Anfield is now uncovered exclusively by Yahoo Sport UK.

Southampton have reported Liverpool to the Premier League for illegally trying to entice van Dijk to Anfield, with the south coast club infuriated by the actions of the player’s agent and the clubs involved.

Van Dijk:

Staged one-on-one talks with Liverpool and Klopp

Received video messages detailing how he would be used in the Reds team

Already finalised personal terms with Liverpool

Has now ‘kicked up a fuss’ in a bid to be sold by Southampton, even though he still has five years left on his current contact with the club.

“Southampton have told the player that we don’t want to sell him this summer, but he thought he could kick up a big enough fuss that he would be sold for £50m.

“That is never happening and by holding talks with the player, sending him video clips of how he will fit into their team and doing this all without the permission of Southampton, there is no way he will be sold to Liverpool at this stage.

“Of course, every player has a price and if £100m or something close is put on the table, then it will be considered, but Southampton do not need to sell van Dijk this summer.”

https://uk.sports.yahoo.com/news/re...opp-botched-liverpool-transfer-190009053.html

Top Bottom