• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT10| A Street Ass Named Premier

Wilbur

Banned
Why don't you join Real Pic January? You have tons of brilliant pictures :lol

I don't want to be banned for nudity :(
everyone knows what I look like anyway :lol, don't really see the point of changing it! Besides, I like this avy

Meier

With the amount of shitty audio mixing in games I got to have subtitles on, also sometimes I just miss a thing or two not having English as my native language. Also I sometimes like in RPGs to read faster than they speak and skip dialogue when it's boring.

I play every game with subs on. For one, I just prefer it and two I also like to skip dialogue if possible and just read ahead.

Why don't you join Real Pic January? You have tons of brilliant pictures :lol

Already given him his avatar

aBstz.jpg

Do it wilbs

What for, if you don't mind me asking?

Small film production company/studio. Very small. It's a meeting regarding the script I have written. Just preliminary talks, they already have read it and find it 'interesting', they just want to know more about me I suppose.

faridmon

Poeple are calling London shit? Cognitive Dissonance?

The inde scene is fantastic. Every single night, there is at least 10 gigs happening at once. Old Street is fantastic for clubbing. There are more art Exhibitions than anywhere else in the world. There is Football, there is Japanese people you can meet and there is St. Pauls....

Zabojnik

Small film production company/studio. Very small. It's a meeting regarding the script I have written. Just preliminary talks, they already have read it and find it 'interesting', they just want to know more about me I suppose.

Oh, that's great! Wish you all the luck. When you make it big, please acquire the movie rights for Gibson's Neuromancer and write a stellar script for it. I'd like to see this fucking film made before I die. Thank you.

Meier

This is a brilliant article on the general health of soccer in the US and why Sepp Blatter sucks. It's funny but also dead right.

I'm sure the Americans in the thread will enjoy it but you should all read it anyway.

Good read, thanks for sharing. I like Arnie's analogy about the wizards in the Harry Potter world. Soccer is definitely growing here at a big rate. I work at a university and I typically see at least 1-2 students a day when walking around wearing kits and the like (so much Barca!). FIFA (the game) has really helped the sport grow here.

Oh, that's great! Wish you all the luck. When you make it big, please acquire the movie rights for Gibson's Neuromancer and write a stellar script for it. I'd like to see this fucking film made before I die. Thank you.

Thank you! More than likely Ill be unemployed, but if the unlikely happens Ill make sure to do so and dedicate it to you. And you know, cast Chiellini as someone.

The inde scene is fantastic. Every single night, there is at least 10 gigs happening at once. Old Street is fantastic for clubbing. There are more art Exhibitions than anywhere else in the world. There is Football, there is Japanese people you can meet and there is St. Pauls....

Pay no attention to jealous Northerners.

Meier

Do Americans just have the MLS? No Championship/League One etc equivalent, or a college system similar to their football?

Pretty sure there are smaller clubs but there's no "second division" as such. They just compete in regional championships and what not.

I'm sure I've seen some college clips too.

There are a number of levels to the American "soccer pyramid" although the teams below the MLS are much, much smaller and the caliber of play is obviously rather poor. 2nd level teams usually get 4-5k attendees with it getting smaller from there. Most of the teams are at least moderately semi-pro or the players are paid almost nothing. Austin has a 4th level team that I've gone to some games for.. the team gets about 1-2k people per game. It is a semi-pro team. Orlando City (my hometown club) is in the 3rd division but is hoping to jump to the MLS within the next few years and will if we can get a soccer-specific stadium built as many hope will happen. Orlando City gets around 7-9k people per game which is pretty impressive.

College men's soccer is relatively rare because there exists something called Title IX that limits the number of scholarships so that men and women must have the same number overall across all sports. American football takes up a LOT of scholarships (usually 85) and men's basketball (15ish) and baseball (12ish) also take up a good number of those that are left which then leaves no scholarships for men's soccer so the schools simply don't field a team.

Its not a North/South thing

People who like London
People whose opinions are worth listening to

People who don't like London
People whose opinions are not worth listening to
The United supporters hate London because it takes them ages to get up to Manchester.

Says the Chelsea fan from Northern Ireland

Its not a North/South thing

People who like London
People whose opinions are worth listening to

People who don't like London
People whose opinions are not worth listening to

Fair point, but in my experience those who dislike London are at least one of the following:

A)Northerners
B)Farmers
C)Pensioners

Don't see that many Arsenal fans over here. It's all Chelsea/United where I live or the usual Celtic/Rangers.
I actually know a disproportionate amount of Arenal fans. Of the people I associate with who actually watch football, the Arsenal and United fans are top, Chelsea next. I have a City supporting friend and only 2 Liverpool friends would you believe. There's even a wee token Spud in there, eugh.

Edit: Probably worth noting the Arsenal fans are all older fellas. Who probably supported them from when they were... you know... good.

London is amazing but the concentration of money and power within the M25 is fucking disgusting. A monument to the inequity of our society: impoverished slums nestled in amongst the heart of British culture, and all the opulence and decadence of our minority rich on show for all to see. Some people there aren't living in the real world. I guess that can be said of people from all over, but still... as a Northern Brit who has lived in the South, I've a love hate relationship with it. I've enjoyed it immensely the last few times I've been (cost aside), I love the buildings, the parks, the regal architecture, the monuments, the bustle of life, the wealth of entertainment, the night life.. but I can't stand snobs and elites and cultural hipsters who seem to want to drown the country in their love of the place. I don't mind a visit but I'd rather live in Liverpool, Manchester or Newcastle. And I can't stand those places either to be honest. I wanna go live in a fuckin wigwam or something. One with electricity and videogames and no gobshites other than me.

PowderedToast

the quality of their arts culture is undeniable but nobody has time for one another. the city is impersonal and full of dickheads. unlike london would have you believe, a friendly atmosphere and active culture are not mutually exclusive things

just visit liverpool for example

Dibbz

So Arsenal are actually looking at letting Squillaci and Djourou go this month? Thank fuck. Hopefully we can shift a couple and get some good players in.

Meier

The graphics in To The Moon look so bad. Realistically, I don't think I could ever play it. :( Anyone wanna trade me a code of FTL for one of Hotline Miami? :D

There's more Toro fans in torino than juve fans...

HOLY FUCK Zero Dark Thirty BEST FUCKING MOVIE OF THE YEAR!!!!!!

Where are you from again, Timurid?

My point is not that Juventus fans have to be from Torino--I'm not--but something something those in glass houses.....

Timurid

Where are you from again, Timurid?

My point is not that Juventus fans have to be from Torino--I'm not--but something something those in glass houses.....
I'm from the states. I mean don't go around saying why is there more juve fans in so so city. We both know that majority of juve fans are away fans.

Meier

I'm from the states. I mean don't go around saying why is there more juve fans in so so city. We both know that majority of juve fans are away fans.

Huh, I never would have guessed you were a native speaker. :lol

Kun and his wife have separated apparently. :( Oh well, at least they created an inevitable soccer prodigy before things went south.

Zabojnik

I'm not sure I get your point. There are about 14 million Juve fans in Italy. Torino (city core) has the population of about 1 million. Of course the majority of Juve fans are away fans. Meanwhile, there's no proof whatsoever that there are more Toro than Juve supporters in Torino. In fact, everything seems to suggest the exact contrary.

Huh, I never would have guessed you were a native speaker. :lol

:lol

-

Tim: Well, unlike Torino FC, Juventus is a team that is internationally well know. Of course there will always be in total more Juventus fans worldwide than just in Torino. But there are more Juventus fans in Torino, and in Piedmont more generally, than Granata fans. Simple fact. I wish I could find that map that gazzetta put out that broke it down...

And Zab just said that there were more Juventus fans at the Renzo Barbera when Juve are playing Palermo. Nothing controversial about that either. Juventus has a big fanbase in the south.

I like you Tim, and I'm glad we Juventus fans have someone from a rival team to banter with since the absences of Dash Kappei and Frank, but sometimes I feel like you just like throwing out a "rubentus!" every once a while just so you feel like Torino is a more relevant team than they are.

Edit: Love you, Zab.

Lazio has built and incredibly talented squad that's going to get Champions League money. Lampard is old and slow, but Serie A doesn't put that high of a premium on speedy midfielders (see also Andrea Pirlo).
Aside from Hernanes and Klose i'm having an hard time thinking whos incredibly talented there. They're overall a pretty good team with a very intelligent manager but that's about it, them being 2nd in the league shows how much Serie A has fallen lately.

No, you can do it in real life. Udinese does it every single year. You, of course, need to keep some of your veterans but a team like Napoli rose to where they are from playing youth and building on past successes. Granted, now they're in the shit because De Laurentiis would prefer to be moral victors than actual victors.

Udinese does it every year?* Pozzo is in football only for the money, that's why he got three teams, his strategy will work only for useless team like Udinese and for a couple of years since it's already failing, you can't do that shit with Inter, Milan or Juve. Creating a young team in Italy without losing a ton of money for all these young talents is almost impossible now, you can't probably even convince them to play here. I'm sure Pozzo is thinking right now about buying another 17 years old colombian/chilean player that if they're lucky will bring them some profit in 6 years.
Not really, they couldn't get through the QFs 2 years in a row and this year they probably won't even get a EL spot.
I don't think Juve supporters can be called glory hunters anymore after the last few years.
:lol
Used to be Inter 1989–2006.
Inter from 1989 to 2006, no doubt about it. And from 2011 forward. Happy new year, adriano. :D
Better than being a glory hunter. :D
You've got us confused with Inter.
He couldn't have used a more appropriate word than "thieves" to describe Juve :lol

Timurid

Whatever you guys win and I lose. I don't really feel like fighting with you two scrubs. I saw my point was incoherent and I'm sorry for the confusion. I just wanted to say that I love Zero Dark Thirty and it's up there in my list of favorite films of all time.

Top Bottom