• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
The summer transfer window is going to be stupid with rumors of him finally coming to Europe......only for him to stay in Brazil.

K1LLER7

Makes too much sense.

Obviously means Bebe will be going to Barcelona and Sanchez the other way to replace the outgoing Nani who will be going to San Lorenzo with Coloccini.
Bebe will become a United legend. He'll be at United as long as Fergie has. He'll become our player-manager in 2015.

we have League Cup today, so it's non-stop stop football action from 17:00 onwards.

trivia of the day: i was born and raised in the same town as Mourinho, still see his dad nearly everyday.

ShogunX

I can understand Arsenal wanting to keep Walcott. But he's not a £90k a week player.

Well his agent has played a blinder. It's either sign him up or lose him for nothing. Maybe one day Arsenal will start sorting out player contracts before they are due to expire.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
we have League Cup today, so it's non-stop stop football action from 17:00 onwards.

trivia of the day: i was born and raised in the same town as Mourinho, still see his dad nearly everyday.

IS HE GOING TO LEAVE MADRID FOR UNITED NEXT SEASON?

TELL US

Randdalf

I think the greater tragedy of Arsenal's wage policy is that they have bit part players and bench sitters who are on huge contracts but aren't good enough at football to play.

Arnie

I can understand Arsenal wanting to keep Walcott. But he's not a £90k a week player.

I think he most certainly will be, within those five years.

He gets a lot of shit but he's a quality player, and he's got so much experience and development under his belt at the age of 23, the age players really start to progress into their peak years. Between now, and until he's 28, I fully expect Walcott to be a top goalscorer in the premier league. If that's not worth £90k a week, then we disagree, I think he's integral to keeping them moving forwards as a club, and if he'd have left, Arsenal would become a laughing stock once more.

Arsenal fans shouldn't really care what he's on for the next five years, they should care that he's playing and scoring for them.

Doesn't he want to go to Barça? (Neymar)

Personally I think he should stay away from Barça and Madrid. Barça because the team is about Messi, and Madrid because it's a shithole of a place where great players go to destroy their careers. It's an anarchic club that is more about the brand that is marketed all over the world these days than it is about football.

For example, I perceive United to be a brand of football, and Madrid to be a brand of pop culture. It's more about the image, it's more about the star quality.

It's disposable fast food, it's about trying to shove the maximum amount of calorie intake you can get. It's 50% sugar 50% protein. And any time the protein count goes up and the sugar count down, you have the consumers barking at the chef that it ain't tasting so sweet no more, and the chef is fired.

But hey, it's great if you wanna be a pop star.

Clegg

He definitely is, esp in this "market".
I suppose he is worth it in the hyper inflated world of football.

But in a more stable market he'd be nowhere near that kind of money. The same could be said of Rooney and his massive wages but he'd be more deserving of them than players like Walcott.

Arnie

But in a more stable market he'd be nowhere near that kind of money. The same could be said of Rooney and his massive wages but he'd be more deserving of them than players like Walcott.

Yes, but that's an alternate reality.

It's that same argument that I've had thrown at me when people say Moyes is a better manager than Rafa, 'because if Moyes had been given money Everton would've done much better than Liverpool'. I think it's nonsense, and revisionist.

Walcott is worth £90k a week.

Hindle

Banned
The only place Pep is going is Barca IMO. It reminds me a bit of when he was a player, there were always rumours of him coming to Utd but they never came true.

TeegsD

Looks like they arent even bothering to show the Sporting match on TV since we're out. Any radio station online that I can listen to it on?

I hope Pep doesn't go to Barça. I need to see if he is the real deal, or if he just rode on the back of 3 of the greatest players Barcelona ever had in their positions, and the best player ever in the world.

Tito is killing it for example. Honestly? Shit, I think any manager with a brain would.

I think he most certainly will be, within those five years.

He gets a lot of shit but he's a quality player, and he's got so much experience and development under his belt at the age of 23, the age players really start to progress into their peak years. Between now, and until he's 28, I fully expect Walcott to be a top goalscorer in the premier league. If that's not worth £90k a week, then we disagree, I think he's integral to keeping them moving forwards as a club, and if he'd have left, Arsenal would become a laughing stock once more.

Arsenal fans shouldn't really care what he's on for the next five years, they should care that he's playing and scoring for them.
Don't know about that.

That is the market though. It's a market where RVP, Rooney, Yaya Toure and Aguero earn more or less £200k a week. David Silva earns £170k. So does Balotelli. Nemanja Vidic is on £120k or maybe more. Gerrard and Lampard are in 6 figures too. Apparently Liverpool renewed their key players' contracts and pushed them at or above £100k also. Adebayor close to £100k. We've seen the list of players at Arsenal who are on £50k.

In Spain the big clubs pay more than anybody in England does.

Walcott might not be at the level of many of those players but he isn't miles and miles behind either. It is inflated but it seems like it's inflated for good now.

I think £90k for Walcott is very fair. Especially when you consider Arsenal are going to be earning close to £75m more in guaranteed revenue in a couple of seasons.

dc89

David Amoo has had his contract cancelled by mutual consent. PNE would like to wish David all the best with his future career.

PNE twitter. PNE are crazy these days, they let Akpo Sodje go the other week!

Good.

He'd be better off staying at United.

Its a bit concerning that he's only scored once this season though.
Loan deal isn't a good idea for us or him.

Welbeck is suffering from a lack of consistent football in his preferred position. Unfortunately he just isn't as good as the other 3 players there, not much can be done about it.

L1NETT

As a player, I don't think Walcott is worth 90k a week. An incontinent player and even worse with his back to goal.

However, as a statement that Arsenal are trying to keep their best players, this contract is far more important. Moreover, this might convince other young english players (Ox, Gibbs, Jenkinson EDIT: I realise I was wrong about this!!...but do you get the point? :) that now Wilshire and Walcott have committed to the long term future that they should too. If it does happen, it could be an assertion of the english core that Wenger promised their fans many moons ago.

If it does go ahead, an important contract.

Edit: yeah fair point Viva, would have said their youth players...but don't know them ;-)

As a player, I don't think Walcott is worth 90k a week. An incontinent player and even worse with his back to goal.

However, as a statement that Arsenal are trying to keep their best players, this contract is far more important. Moreover, this might convince other young english players (Ox, Gibbs, Jenkinson) that now Wilshire and Walcott have committed to the long term future that they should too. If it does happen, it could be an assertion of the english core that Wenger promised their fans many moons ago.

I believe all those players signed long term extensions just before the new year.

Agree though, important for them to keep him.

Randdalf

However, as a statement that Arsenal are trying to keep their best players, this contract is far more important. Moreover, this might convince other young english players (Ox, Gibbs, Jenkinson) that now Wilshire and Walcott have committed to the long term future that they should too. If it does happen, it could be an assertion of the english core that Wenger promised their fans many moons ago.

The Ox, Gibbs and Jenkinson signed contracts at the same time as Wilshere (as did Ramsey). (beaten)

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm glad L1NETT is still around.
3AQmK.gif

Do you follow a team in the PL?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom