• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT11| Campaign: Save a donkey in Colombia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Loads of United fans don't want him either.

Madness. £8m for a player like Sneijder. What a steal.

It's the wages that cause concern, for me, so soon after the Cole debacle.

I know he was an exceptional player, but I need convincing that he still is.

dc89

^Do you feel our pain now?
iboCBCquZHUWH0.gif

Here!

Holy shit. :lol

Fry

If probably wouldn't want him if he was going to cost over £100k per week and he would. So I don't know.

I say it's worth giving it a chance. He would already add a lot to the team even if not in his world class form.

And he can shoot. Like Gerrard.

Amy Lawrence's piece on RVP for tmrws Guardian is superb. Picked some pieces out.

Several months down the line, Wenger pauses for a moment as he recalls the tone of the exchange, searching for the right word. "Professional," is the one he plumps for, although the hint of a knowing smile suggests the negotiations may have been infused with a touch more emotion. "It was a very professional phone call, and there was more than one," he adds, arching an eyebrow. "I will tell you the rest another day." That is quite the teaser.

In assessing Van Persie's influence on United so far, it is telling that he has struck a mighty chord with both his ability and his personality on the pitch. Van Persie is able to carry the sense of expectation around him. He wears it very well, in fact. It stems from the fact he feels so in tune with his football, and he possesses an interesting blend of being both incredibly determined and incredibly relaxed when he is trying to shape a game.

The fact Manchester City also had their eyes on him adds piquancy, with Mancini's assertion that Van Persie is the difference this season hard to dispute at the moment. "I wasn't aware of the City thing until he told me himself that he'd turned them down," Ferguson said. "I did know that Juventus had made a massive offer to the boy and I thought they were a bigger threat, but fortunately he came to us."

Wenger says he does not find it painful to watch Van Persie delivering, decisively, game after game in a different shade of red. "But what is painful is to see United so far in front of us," he says. "We knew when we sold him to United that would be the case." That is a stark admission from Arsenal's perspective. From a United point of view, when he picked up that phone, Ferguson sure knew what he was doing.

Full article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/11/phone-call-manchester-united-van-persie?mobile-redirect=false

Really agree with the part about his relaxation and composure. Get a real sense of that watching him play.

It could be possible that they didnt want to admit that Sahin was a failure, because of all that Mourinho stuff going on right now.

Possible, but they just could have said Nuri doesn't work outside of Dortmund and they get the 10m they paid back. No big deal considering they paid 30m (?) for Modric.

D_prOdigy

I hate him so much right now.

I'm curious to hear a City fan's perspective on Mancini's recent comments.

I know he didn't say this literally as much, but do you think it really is likely that, had RVP gone to City, City would be enjoying a similar lead in the table by now?

City looking to extend Tevez's contract. It's up in 18 months, didn't know that - just a year left on it in the summer. If there ever was a player who would just run down his contract and go back to South America it's Tevez.

City need a new striker don't they. Balotelli's days a numbered. Anyone but Falcao, please.

---

Fergie's been talking about Suarez:

"I never saw the [Mansfield] game so it is difficult to say whether it was a deliberate handball or not but I think the lad is laden with controversy," said the United manager. "I don't know whether he enjoys it or not – but it is something we hope we don't suffer from ourselves.

"Every club goes into it that way. When you go into a game of football you hope you don't get a bad break against you and, with the speed of the modern game, I suppose you can cherry-pick an incident every week that you say: 'That should have been a penalty kick' or 'That shouldn't have been a goal'. Things happen so quickly for the referee and the assistants to pick up."

Asked if Suárez has toned down his on-field behaviour this season, Ferguson said: "As I say, I just hope we don't suffer from some of the decisions that have gone his way in terms of that. We want it to be a good game on Sunday."

---

Rodgers' making a good (I think...I think I think so anyway...) point about Suarez handball incident:

"Don't get me wrong, there are some sports where the etiquette is important, snooker or golf for example. If you touch the ball in snooker and the other player doesn't see it, you put your hand up. That's the etiquette of the game. That doesn't happen in football. It's just the way of the game. Not just here but worldwide.

dc89

I'm curious to hear a City fan's perspective on Mancini's recent comments.

I know he didn't say this literally as much, but do you think it really is likely that, had RVP gone to City, City would be enjoying a similar lead in the table by now?

Well from what i heard Mancini says we don't deserve to be 7 points behind. Well we probably do to be fair.

Lost to Sunderland, draws with Everton and Stoke. 7 points dropped. If we want to retain our title we have to beat the big teams. Draws with Chelsea and Liverpool and defeat with United.

:(

If we had RVP, we would be top. RVP is insta win.

D_prOdigy

If we had RVP, we would be top. RVP is insta win.

On the one hand, I could easily see a RVP-powered City 14 points clear by now.

On the other, I could see Mancini keeping him on the bench half the time and him having about 4 goals.

It's a weird one.

Bo-Locks

Rodgers' making a good (I think...I think I think so anyway...) point about Suarez handball incident:

Completely agree with him. Good sportsmanship should obviously be encouraged, but the reality of the sport and the nature of the game (as well as the very crude financial implications) are well understood by everybody involved. It's not cricket of golf.

Which reminds me of the FIFA Fair Play Award nominations last week. One of the nominees was for a governing body in the Caribbean, all because they banned some players they found guilty of match-fixing. Come the fuck on.

Feorax

It's the wages that cause concern, for me, so soon after the Cole debacle.

I know he was an exceptional player, but I need convincing that he still is.

I think Cole was a different situation. Chelsea didn't renew his contract because they knew he couldn't hack it at the too anymore, and they had no use for him. With Sneijder, my understanding is Inter simply can't afford him, and he isn't playing because they want to force either a paycut or a move. If money wasn 't a problem, I expect he would be in the starting XI every week.

Sneijder wants 150-200k a week doesn't he?

I can't think of many teams that can stump up that kind of cash.

I read somewhere he would be willing to take a paycut to move to the PL, although how much of a paycut I don't know.

Didn't Mancini make comments about wanting to get him but not being backed by Marwood?

Seems like Froggie put that to rest. RVP just didn't want to go.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Aside from a spring slump that effectively meant Spurs missed out on third place to rivals Arsenal, it is understood that Tottenham Hotspur's owner Joe Lewis favoured a change and the club's hierarchy wanted a more modern infrastructure - lending credence to Redknapp's words.

"Yeah, it was political," the QPR manager admitted. "I've got my own feelings about what happened but it's difficult for me to say."

Throwing away a 10 point lead. Never playing half of his 25 man squad. Getting creamed 5-1 in a semi-final after going 442 for the last 20 minutes despite one of the CBs having no legs. Yes, it was just political, Harry.

I hope we obliterate them tomorrow. I must have revenge for him making just one defensive sub away at Villa last season when it was a game we had to win (for 3rd) and could afford to lose (and still get 4th).

Scum

Mandy Henry ‏@MandyHenryMedia
SAF on City trying to sign RVP last summer: "I wasn't aware of City's interest until he told me himself he'd turned them down." #mufc

iAFZHGxywPG0P.gif

It's always so weird for me to see RVP in a ManYoo shirt. Damn you, Froggie and your money well spent!

K1LLER7

Got a feeling we'll sign Zaha. Not sure what to expect if he does move.

Never seen him play, hope he's not like Young or Valencia. Want someone who's more direct and looks to take his man on.

Scum

Don't jinx it, Ush! D:

Got a feeling we'll sign Zaha. Not sure what to expect if he does move.

Never seen him play, hope he's not like Young or Valencia. Want someone who's more direct and looks to take his man on.

Oh, he'll do that for the rest of the season. Then he'll look up to Young & Valencia and fit right at home for the next season...

Ushojax

Don't jinx it, Ush! D:

Balls to that. I tried not to get cocky for this game last season and we lost it to a wet fart of a free kick that Brad would have saved if he'd just put a cap on.

QPR 0 - 6 Tottenham
Bale
Bale
Bale
Bale
Bale
Assou-Ekotto

Ushojax

Tomorrows game against Swansea marks the 10th year Osman have played for Everton since his debut. You are a good man, Leon.

Leon-Osman-Everton_2860078.jpg

<3

Very underrated player. Everton have some real quality players, perfect mix of graft/technique.

K1LLER7

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YwHqagTKis

Not sure what to make of him. He seems alright but a tad raw. Also looks to shoot more often than he ought to.
Don't jinx it, Ush! D:

Oh, he'll do that 'til for the rest of the season. Then he'll look up to Young & Valencia and fit right at home for the next season.

He should look up to Bebe.

Bebe on one wing, Zaha on the other.

one winger who crosses too much and another that shoots too much. Perfect.

Salazar

Not sure what to make of him. He seems alright but a tad raw. Also looks to shoot more often than he ought to.

I think it's a vaguely worthwhile gamble. Many of the fullbacks he'll be running at in the league aren't that amazing.

His control seems meh, but he can shift direction in a way that will fuck up 6 out of 10 of them.

Scum

Balls to that. I tried not to get cocky for this game last season and we lost it to a wet fart of a free kick that Brad would have saved if he'd just put a cap on.

QPR 0 - 6 Tottenham
Bale
Bale
Bale
Bale
Bale
Assou-Ekotto
Nice!

He should look up to Bebe.

Bebe on one wing, Zaha on the other.

one winger who crosses too much and another that shoots too much. Perfect.
lol

Then he deserves the rest. He can do nothing wrong, even if he scores a hat-trick of own goal.
If only Moyes had the funds to spend and keep his players. :O

Lightning

Banned
Amy Lawrence's piece on RVP for tmrws Guardian is superb. Picked some pieces out.

Full article:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2013/jan/11/phone-call-manchester-united-van-persie?mobile-redirect=false

Really agree with the part about his relaxation and composure. Get a real sense of that watching him play.
RVP is a lesson for Arsenal. It's good that RVP will now get reward for his talent and goals which he wouldn't have got with us. I just hope, and I really hope, that Wenger and the Arsenal board have learned something from this.

As this season goes on I come to understand how RVP must have felt more and more. Why should RVP waste the best years of his career on Wenger's stupid policies, earning less money, and with no light at the end of the tunnel? Painful to watch but we did this to ourselves. If we should ambition and improved our squad year after year instead of downgrade it for profit chances are RVP wouldn't have done that and we would be challenging as well.

Arnie

Tomorrows game against Swansea marks the 10th year Osman have played for Everton since his debut. You are a good man, Leon.

Even I, in some strange, embarrassing, detached way love Leon Osman, which says everything you need to know about him.

Done Everton proud.

I think it's a vaguely worthwhile gamble. Many of the fullbacks he'll be running at in the league aren't that amazing.

His control seems meh, but he can shift direction in a way that will fuck up 6 out of 10 of them.

Way I see it is that he's quick and strong and has a modicum of skill (think his touch looks a bit... English though). He can pull out a cross (could be better and his decision making seems a tad gash) and he fancies a shot. Covers a decent amount of bases for £12 mill.

K1LLER7

Paul Merson on RVP

"For me, he's the best centre-forward in world football. I wouldn't class Lionel Messi as a centre-forward and Radamel Falcao couldn't lace his boots. He plays in a completely different league and I'd like to see him come to England and score 30 or 40 goals in a season."

faridmon

If only Moyes had the funds to spend and keep his players. :O

To be fair, we do spend quite a lot here and there, but If we kept our players, Damn...

Actually we did keep Baines, everything else is a moot.
Rodwell will come back and become good again. BELIEVE!

Even I, in some strange, embarrassing, detached way love Leon Osman, which says everything you need to know about him.

Done Everton proud.

Who are you? And what did you do to Arnold?

Ushojax

Paul Merson on RVP
"For me, he's the best centre-forward in world football. I wouldn't class Lionel Messi as a centre-forward and Radamel Falcao couldn't lace his boots. He plays in a completely different league and I'd like to see him come to England and score 30 or 40 goals in a season."

utslyyca4l.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom