• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT12| Kicked the Ballboy Like Stan Hit Ulrika

FootballFan

Nope.

Not worse than two clubs that piss out childish rhetoric about honour all year round, while they oafishly suppress domestic competition.

qtjT6.gif

Més que un club

If you ask around you will see it's hard to find a Barca/Madrid fan that is supportive of the way the TV rights are split.

Is this where people pretend they're just as interested in watching La Liga games not involving Barca/Real? What are the actual TV revenue numbers?

Salazar

Is this where people pretend they're just as interested in watching La Liga games not involving Barca/Real?

a) that's drastically beside the point
b) the system in question is to blame for the Barca/Real duopoly. Not exclusively so, but christ, it's exacerbated things.

If you ask around you will see it's hard to find a Barca/Madrid fan that is supportive of the way the TV rights are split.

Fair enough. La Liga is an absurdity until it changes, though. Fair enough if there are rich clubs and not so rich clubs, but for the disparity to be systematically consolidated and increased is just pathetic.

FootballFan

Is this where people pretend they're just as interested in watching La Liga games not involving Barca/Real? What are the actual TV revenue numbers?

If I remember correctly, half of the tv monies is shared between Barca and Madrid, the other half is shared between the other 18 clubs.

It is indeed crazy, but the league ain't bad. I still watch many many games that don't involve Barca or Madrid. Mainly Malaga, Valencia and Atletico games.

Wilbur

Banned

If there was more games other than Barca/Real games, I might. I try to watch the Friday and Monday matches if I'm around, yeah. And its not for us, really; I doubt many Spaniards would want to watch any matches not involving United/Chelsea. But me? I fucking love watching any Premier League football, and I'd expect a lot of Spanish football fans to feel the same about La Liga. Doesn't seem as readily available for them though.

FootballFan

Fair enough. La Liga is an absurdity until it changes, though.

But then isn't EPL also an absurdity?

Why can Man City or Chelsea buy 60m players but Southampton or West Ham can't?

Just like Madrid can buy 35m Coentrao and Deportivo can't.

All it takes for Southampton to be a title challenger is a billionaire being interested in them, otherwise they have no chance of winning the league, just like Deportivo.

That is just as ridiculous, that goes for all of football, not just EPL.

ShogunX

If there was more games other than Barca/Real games, I might. I try to watch the Friday and Monday matches if I'm around, yeah. And its not for us, really; I doubt many Spaniards would want to watch any matches not involving United/Chelsea. But me? I fucking love watching any Premier League football, and I'd expect a lot of Spanish football fans to feel the same about La Liga. Doesn't seem as readily available for them though.

You would think the majority of nations are like that with their own domestic bias but just look at Serie A - Fans cant be arsed attending matches and leave the stadiums under half capacity.

Would there ever be a case of a team taking one fan to an away game in the Prem?

Wilbur

Banned
But then isn't EPL also an absurdity?

Why can Man City or Chelsea buy 60m players but Southampton or West Ham can't?

Nothing to do with TV rights though, is it? Someone came to Man City, bought them and now they can do that. City were never responsible for that person's actions, nor are they responsible for the fact Southampton can't spend 60m on a player and may suffer for that apart from the two times a season they might beat them

Barcelona and Real Madrid negotiating their own contracts directly affects the rest of La Liga's revenue.

Wilbur

Banned
You would think the majority of nations are like that with their own domestic bias but just look at Serie A - Fans cant be arsed attending matches and leave the stadiums under half capacity.

Would there ever be a case of a team taking one fan to an away game in the Prem?

Isn't this more to do with absolutely fucking obsolete stadiums and a relatively large percentage of ultras, plus the sullied nature of Italian football in general thanks to match fixing and things of that nature?

It's an absolute shame, but I'm unaware of how the TV deals work there; it might be the case every team is on telly.

Messi

Isn't this more to do with absolutely fucking obsolete stadiums and a relatively large percentage of ultras, plus the sullied nature of Italian football in general thanks to match fixing and things of that nature?

It's an absolute shame, but I'm unaware of how the TV deals work there; it might be the case every team is on telly.

Some of the attendances in La Liga are truly shocking.

Interesting point. I don't see anyone here giving a fuck about Athletic Club this season. And people only seem to bother with Atletico when Falcao is playing. Also, the local government assumed control of Valencia a couple of days ago. Did anyone care?

Messi

What are the ticket prices like? I would understand club chairman raising them to awful levels in order to make up for the lack of television revenue.

Tickets can be gotten for as little as 10 euro. Also as high as 100.

Interesting point. I don't see anyone here giving a fuck about Athletic Club this season. And people only seem to bother with Atletico when Falcao is playing. Also, the local government assumed control of Valencia a couple of days ago. Did anyone care?

1. I do :(

2. I liked Atletico before Falcao and I will like them after him.

Wilbur

Banned

I still watch Bilbao when I can. Busier this year than last though, certainly.

Also enjoyed watching Betis, Malaga and Rayo.

ShogunX

Not sure on the TV deal details but it's the same story in France where teams are running out of money very fast.

People may mock and take the piss but it's not hard to see why people think the Premier league is the best in the world and many players would take a supposed step down to be part of it.

Lunchbox

Banned

theres more to that. in the premier league you have United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs. 5 top teams and 6 if you count Everton that will play against each other. so instantly you have more matches that people care about (not counting just United vs whoever or Arsenal vs whoever)

-Then you have up and coming teams like Swansea that will play a good style and come up with shock results

-Then you have joke tier teams like Liverpool and Newcastle who think they are a big club and drum their shit all summer and lose 3-0 in their first game while falling on their face for the rest of the year

theres entertainment all around, thats why its popular. 2 "classicos" where they slap and pull each others hair for 90 mins cant cover for that

Messi

theres more to that. in the premier league you have United, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs. 5 top teams and 6 if you count Everton that will play against each other. so instantly you have more matches that people care about (not counting just United vs whoever or Arsenal vs whoever)

-Then you have up and coming teams like Swansea will play a good style and come up with shock results

-Then you have joke tear teams like Liverpool and Newcastle who think they are a big club and drum their shit all summer and lose 3-0 in their first game while falling on their face for the rest of the year

theres entertainment all around, thats why its popular. 2 "classicos" where they slap and pull each others hairs for 90 mins cant cover for that

Its pretty clear you don't watch La Liga.

I'm sorry to have to be the one to tell you.

It's super shit. Especially if you want to play on your own and not with some dickhead co-op guy. Levels designed around co-op making it's way into single player is beyond dumb.

It looked fucking terrible when I was watching my brother play it. Just didn't look fun at all. Seems like the basic mechanics haven't moved on at all since the first one

Only if you enter it through what is normally the exit.

Wait, its supposed to exit into the depths? There's an entrance in Drake Valley, but balls to running past the Drakes every time I want to go in there. Fuck the blowdart snipers as well, killing me when I'm trying to get to a bonfire. Didn't have a clue what was happening :(

But if the tv revenue for La Liga was more like the PL, you would think the smaller teams would be able to field better teams and would be more entertaining for fans. This would increase attendance.

Lunchbox

Banned
Its pretty clear you don't watch La Liga.

im really missing out on the 5-1 drubbings, poor me

laliga has been dog shit since roy makaay left deportivo. but you keep on spinning how fucking malaga has a chance against teams backed by the king of spain and unicef

Messi

laliga has been dog shit since roy makaay left deportivo. but you keep on spinning how fucking malaga has a chance against teams backed by the king of spain and unicef

Try watching a game or two that does not involve real or barca. I wont argue with you about those teams, its fucked up. But the other top teams in La Liga put on some great matches against each other.

Remember when shitty Bilbao spanked Man United?

FootballFan

I watch all the games sky shows :(. I love La Liga.

I wish the TV rights were shared more equally.

Me too(to both your sentences).

Real Betis vs Bilbao was the last La Liga game I watched. That was 3 days ago I think.

It would get the same reaction as MLS news. None.

If you go to my posts from the match above, I am posting alone about Aduriz or Castro scoring.

Who here would care if Blablurn said "Tor! Xhaka scores for Borussia Monchengladbach! 1-1 Werder" Not enough people care to post it, if you know what I mean.

There is more interest here for what Middlesbrough do, so you can't be surprised. Look at the OP, the Barca and Real list of fans is small even compared to Arsenal.

But this is all understandable as it's an English speaking forum, the EPL is the widest broadcast league, champions of Europe there, many strong teams and entertaining.

Legend.

Wilbur

Banned
Chelsea, Chelsea, United, United, United, Chelsea, United, City.

2 team league + oil billions. Truly competitive.

Oil billions are in no way comparative to Barcelona and Real Madrid negotiating their own television contracts. You'd have a point if United and City did the same thing, but they don't.

I won't pretend that its going to be anyone other than those three teams that win the league for a while. But someone buying City and Chelsea doesn't mean that other teams suffer for it, apart from not being picked to be bought in the first place. Madrid and Barca are actively affecting other teams.

jtb

Banned
With the new PL TV deal, the bottom team will probably earn more per season than the current champion does. It's only a matter of time before Madrid and Barcelona are eclipsed by the top earning PL teams, even with the huge boost in TV revenues. Who knows if the top two will bite the bullet though and share the incomes; they obviously wouldn't want to though I wouldn't be surprised if the league had the power to force them to renogatiate their TV contracts collectively if they tried when the current ones expire. Maybe the top 2 will remain the same, but there's a lot more money to be made with the whole anyone-can-beat-anyone there-are-no-easy-games-at-this-level mentality.

I don't know if unfair TV contracts is necessarily more unfair than oil billionaires; it's just that in every case, oil billionaires are just shit at spending money so it's hard to tell, really.

Arselol v Lolerpool

The match we've all been waiting for. Witness the have beens and could-have-beens compete for mediocrity

I'm excited. Whole team will be exhausted from today so even if it's not an outright humiliation, I'll be pleased if we don't drop points.

Top Bottom