• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT13| This title has been fixed

confuziz

Banned
3HAShFg.jpg

Talk about being effective. I'm PSG :lol

bjaelke

Clubs call for Europa League winners to be given Champions League spot
A majority of leading clubs want to see the Europa League winners or finalists qualify for the Champions League.

A survey carried out by the European Clubs Association (ECA), which represents 207 of the top clubs in Europe, showed most were satisfied with the current structure of the tournaments but 61% would welcome the extra incentive for the Europa League.

UEFA president Michel Platini has stated that all proposals will be considered, with any changes starting in 2015.

The ECA said 87 member clubs from 36 countries responded to the survey, and that:

:: 75% expressed "satisfaction" or "extreme satisfaction" with the current structure and format of UEFA's club competitions

:: 92% believe the Champions League and the Europa League should continue to exist in parallel

:: 61% would welcome offering the Europa League winner and/or finalists qualifying directly for the Champions League group stage the following season.

An ECA statement said: "The results of the survey clearly show that European clubs are very happy with the current competitions and do not wish to see major changes to their structure.

"The option whereby the UEFA Europa League winner/finalists automatically qualify for the UEFA Champions League group stage of the new season raised some interest and support provided that the effects on the access list are carefully considered."

The clubs were unable to agree on whether third-party ownership (TPO) - where players can be owned or part-owned by agents or other individuals rather than clubs - should be prohibited, as it is in England.

It is a common practice in some countries on the continent, such as Portugal, but UEFA also want it banned.

The ECA statement added: "It was made clear that TPO is a very complex phenomenon as there are many different aspects to the way it operates.

"Consequently, there is no unanimity among ECA members as to whether TPO should be banned or not. ECA will further assess the merits and impact of TPO on the game and the repercussions of a possible ban."

pulga

Banned
Honduras playing 4-4-2 apparently. Fuck you, Suarez. We've SHITTY strikers, there's no need to slap on two of them

---------------N. Valladares
Peralta - M.Figueroa - Bernardez - J.Garcia
M.Martinez - R.Espinoza - Claros - B.Garcia
-------------Costly - Bengston

We are fucked. Fucking Izaguirre and Najar injuries, we were really counting on them to pull through.

pulga

Banned
I thought Bengston was the new big hope that will save us all?

Fuck that. I'd rather we play a false 9 than any of our strikers. Alas, they'd need to be able to string 5 consecutive passes together for that to work, so it's a no go.

Randdalf

I say only champions in the CL, bring back the Cup Winner's Cup, and send some of the CL prizemoney to the EL.

But yeah, will never happen.

More likely outcome is the Europa League and Champions League being merged into one larger competition whilst FIFA pressures the top European leagues to reduce to 18 clubs in order to avoid fixture congestion with their new hybrid competition.

More likely outcome is the Europa League and Champions League being merged into one larger competition whilst FIFA pressures the top European leagues to reduce to 18 clubs in order to avoid fixture congestion with their new hybrid competition.

Really really doubt that, would hurt the quality way too much and bring in way less money, people are already starting to get annoyed with lesser teams from smaller leagues getting easier in.

xintin

Europa League winner should get a CL spot, but I dont see UEFA allowing more than 4 teams from any nation. Better hope for non English/Spanish/German winners ever year.

Spain have won 5 of the last 10

Randdalf

Really really doubt that, would hurt the quality way too much and bring in way less money, people are already starting to get annoyed with lesser teams from smaller leagues getting easier in.

Clubs won't like it (except the ones getting in on the money), but UEFA are already planning to propose such a scheme, to be implemented in 2015 http://www.london24.com/sport/arsen...europa_league_with_champions_league_1_1714048

They already tried to reduce the size of the top leagues in 2006, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried again.

Nesotenso

For my fellow Americans some big news today, Gus Johnson is going to be taking over as a lead commentator for soccer on FOX - his first game is the Real Madrid / Manchester United match next week.

Not sure how to feel about this :|

Love Gus doing college ball and his NFL work is pretty decent too but this is such a weird idea.

love Gus Johnson and his work during March Madness, but soccer ?

dc89

City coach Angelo Gregguci said City will complete the signing of Cavani in the summer in an interview with Radio Kiss Kiss.

He also said once the bonuses are triggered in the Balotelli deal City will have made a profit on the player. :lol

xintin

For my fellow Americans some big news today, Gus Johnson is going to be taking over as a lead commentator for soccer on FOX - his first game is the Real Madrid / Manchester United match next week.

Not sure how to feel about this :|

Love Gus doing college ball and his NFL work is pretty decent too but this is such a weird idea.
I think they're handling this the right way. If FOX wants Gus to be their voice for Russia 2018 then he has to start getting used to calling games on this level. And it sounds like he's going out of his way to learn the European Players/Leagues and seeking advice from other commentators.

It might be rough at first but I think it could really work out.

Top Bottom