• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
Is Carragher on it too?! Fucking hell. Don't tell me Lawrenson/Hansen as well?

Why is every fucking pundit a Liverpool legend? (Even tho Owen is of course really a United hero, the greatest to ever wear the no.7)

Steve Mcmanaman is the worst/best.

arkon

Is Carragher on it too?! Fucking hell. Don't tell me Lawrenson/Hansen as well?

Why is every fucking pundit a Liverpool legend? (Even tho Owen is of course really a United hero, the greatest to ever wear the no.7)

Because anyone who's played for Liverpool knows what's up.

I don't even bother watching MotD anymore. Just go on 101 and watch the match highlights. Saves time and I don't have to tolerate all the crap.

MotD is an awful highlights show even aside from the awful analysis actually. The selection of clips hardly ever reflects games well.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
To be fair we have looked very good a few times this season and just haven't gotten the right result to match the performance. Spurs away being one of those. As for Downing he has been playing well for a while now and should have at least double figures when it comes to assists.

Absolutely, I'm struggling to think of a 'big' game where Liverpool weren't the better side. Probably Arsenal at home in the very early part of the season is the only one that springs to mind, maybe the game at Old Trafford.

You played very well today, totally dicked on a horrid Swansea, I just don't think you had to work for it. We all have games like that though, when we beat Villa 4-0 it was a similar case of just walking through their defence. I don't really think Laudrup expected them to be so bad, you could tell from his interview that his team just froze and forgot how to play. Two stupid penalties as well.

Mastadon

Banned
I don't even bother watching MotD anymore. Just go on 101 and watch the match highlights. Saves time and I don't have to tolerate all the crap.

MotD is an awful highlights show even aside from the awful analysis actually. The selection of clips hardly ever reflects games well.

Yep it's pretty shocking. I'd kill for an in-depth analysis programme of some sort. Like an extended MNF.

Jamie Redknapp has the monopoly on nice suits.

arkon

Yep it's pretty shocking. I'd kill for an in-depth analysis programme of some sort. Like an extended MNF.

Jamie Redknapp has the monopoly on nice suits.

Maybe with some coverage and pundits from other countries too. Like Auclair. Hosted by James Richardson.

Wilbur

Banned
I'm still not home. Sigh. Gotta be up at half 8 for uni as well. Fuck me I'm falling behind catastrophically recently, too many hours these cunts have given me.

CHICKEN IS THE BANE OF MY LIFE

Timurid

Bacon, stay strong.

I just saw the highlights, 1st Sochaux goal what the fuck was Van Der shit doing?!?!? The 2nd goal was Sirigu's fault and the 3rd goal was Sakho's fault and this dipshit wonders why he is 3rd in the CB order. It was shit defending and i don't even want to think about our attack ugh...

Hopefully T. Silva comes back and saves us.

First thing this summer is to get two new fullbacks and a DM then we can buy the Ronaldos of the world.

Mastadon

Banned
I'm still not home. Sigh. Gotta be up at half 8 for uni as well. Fuck me I'm falling behind catastrophically recently, too many hours these cunts have given me.

CHICKEN IS THE BANE OF MY LIFE

Do you earn much? Can't you just cut your hours and do some easy internet work to make money for a while?

Nah man missed it, fucked up and watched the dunk contest and passed out.

It's the All Star game tonight right?

Wilbur

Banned
Do you earn much? Can't you just cut your hours and do some easy internet work to make money for a while?

6.30 an hour which is fine for what I need. I'm contracted for 15 hours a week but I've been doing 35 hours the last two because its a new store and not everything's running perfect yet. Out of 25 staff 15 of us are new so we got all our training in a month, still learning new things etc.

I'm really enjoying it, getting on great with the people and it seems like a great company to work for, but it's just I haven't been in on a Monday for 2 weeks now because I haven't got home until half 2 and had to be up at half 6. So I'm just falling behind a little.

It'll sort itself out innit.

Sturridge should be an England starter for the World Cup if he consistently plays as well as he did against Swansea.
Rooney should start up front alone IMO.

6.30 an hour which is fine for what I need. I'm contracted for 15 hours a week but I've been doing 35 hours the last two because its a new store and not everything's running perfect yet. Out of 25 staff 15 of us are new so we got all our training in a month, still learning new things etc.

I'm really enjoying it, getting on great with the people and it seems like a great company to work for, but it's just I haven't been in on a Monday for 2 weeks now because I haven't got home until half 2 and had to be up at half 6. So I'm just falling behind a little.

I didn't go to uni on a Monday 95% of the time.

Wilbur

Banned
Rooney should start up front alone IMO.

I didn't go to uni on a Monday 95% of the time.

Yeah, it was alright last year when it was Shakespeare and I know enough about his work to fly through, but it's history of English and I know utterly knob all about the etymology of Olde English and Germanic languages etc. Got an essay in on the 8th March and have only been in once all term and don't know my essay questions yet.

Passed everything else with flying colours this year and hardly go in though. Maybe I shouldn't worry :lol

Mastadon

Banned

Fair enough, just don't burn yourself out. You're like a delicate, tender piece of Halloumi.

Wes

venison crêpe
Hey, um, I'm not sure how I should put this but the last half year has been terrible for me. I am doing better now, thank god, but the November-December period in particular was incredibly rough. Long story short, I was an angsty teenager dealing with a huge inferiority complex, low self esteem and social anxiety in the last year of high school. I was doing ok, not as outgoing as most but just fine. However everything went spiralling out of control when my father decided to start fucking somebody else and wanted a divorce. This was at the end of August. To make matters worse, his new love was a good family friend with whom I had barbecues and even went on trips to the beach in the summer. That hit me incredibly hard and the next few months I started to isolate myself more and more, not knowing how to cope with everything that was happening around me. I was depressed and going to school became a big problem for me. I slept poorly, only getting a few hours of sleep each night, making me feel even worse. I was home "sick" a lot and spent my days mostly laying in bed. In December the school therapist with whom I had spent many hours talking advised me to stay home the rest of December and think whether I wanted to try to finish school and give a shot at the exams at the end of the school year or give up and try again next year. Try to improve my mental health in the meanwhile and get my life back on track. After the holidays I was certain that there was no way I could pass the exams after missing hundreds of classes, so I decided that this would be a lost year. In the meantime I had been seeing a psychiatrist and he prescribed me antidepressants. He told me that sitting at home until summer wouldn't help me in any way and he said that he'd been thinking about a clinic specifically for troubled teenagers. This shocked me. I didn't think my whole situation was that bad. I'd be around people with real problems; anorexia, addicts, suicidal people etc. instead, in an effort to get my life back on track, I went to school again. I asked if it was possible to follow a less intensive schedule, focusing on the subjects that I struggle with to I prove my chances next year. Praise god they said yes, they truly wanted to help me and I want to school again last week for the first time in well over two months. Getting back in touch with my friends was something I really needed. It seems that everybody is behind me and wishes me the best. Even the teachers have been great. They were happy to see me again and complimented me on coming back and trying again.

All this time I have been surrounded by very kind people who wanted to help me and I didn't see it. I'm not going to lie, last week was tough. Nearly went home again Friday and cried a good amount because it was all a bit too much, but I got my shit together and stayed.

I feel a lot better. /livejournal

I'm happy things are on the up for you Bacon. I don't divulge much of my personal life on the internet but I will say as someone who has been through, and unfortunately going through similiar problems at the moment again, it always pleases me to hear stories of people progressing and battling their issues as it gives me encouragement that I can also continue to improve in regulating and hopefully eventually iradicating my problems..

Wilbur

Banned
Sean Ingle's a good lad:

Even in a week when they pretty much sealed the deal in the Premier League and left Madrid with their Champions League prospects still smelling of roses, there was not an enormous amount of love for Manchester United. There has not been all season.

Sure, David de Gea, Phil Jones and Jonny Evans, among others, were given credit for their displays at the Bernabéu. And faint-praise adjectives – resilient, dogged – found their way into match reports. But the suspicion lingers. This United side are nothing special.

The narrative is repeated to tedium. Their midfield is unfit to polish Roy Keane's Diadora Match Winner IIs. They have a dodgy keeper. They hit frequent flat spots. They are overreliant on Robin van Persie's specials.

And then there is the defence, which has conceded 31 league goals at an average of 1.19 per game – a mean (a word alien to United's back four this season) higher than any English champions since Ipswich shipped 67 goals in 42 games in 1961-62.

But here is the rub: when you compare United's points tally after 26 games to the greatest English sides of the past 30 years, it is up there. In fact way up there.

The United class of 2012-13 have 65 points – not only 14 points better off than the 1999 treble winners at this stage but, incredibly, more than any United side managed by Sir Alex Ferguson after 26 games.

Their tally is also better than Arsenal's Invincibles (64 points after 26 games in 2003-04). And equal to José Mourinho's 2004-05 Chelsea side, who went on to smash the Premier League points record.

Since three points for a win was introduced in 1981-82, only one side have accumulated more than United's 2012-13 vintage after 26 matches: Kenny Dalglish's wonderful 1987-88 Liverpool team with 66 points.

So, what is it to be? Are United much better than they are given credit for – or is the Premier League as uncompetitive as most people outside Sky Sports' promotional department suspect?

Certainly you can make the case for the latter. Manchester City are on an epic post-title comedown. Chelsea seem stuck in some late-Brezhnevian limbo while the old guard cling on. And Arsenal are like a butterfly that has had its wings ripped off one by one.

But is this season's Premier League, say, really any less competitive than in 2010-11 when an average United team ground and pounded their way to the title? This time round they are romping away with it. They surely deserve a lot more credit.

Perhaps because their personnel have not changed much, people do not believe individuals' performances can either. But Michael Carrick is having his best season for at least four years while Evans has improved enormously, too.

And while De Gea gets stick, it's worth pointing out that United have allowed 116 shots on target this season, an average of 4.5 per game. That is higher than every United team – indeed every Premier League winner – since Opta started compiling such data in 2002. De Gea is letting in some but he is keeping plenty out too.

By contrast, Mourinho's Chelsea allowed 83 shots in his first season, while Arsenal's Invincibles were nearly as curmudgeonly.

But perhaps the old maxim, that defences win titles, does not hold like it once did. Changes in the offside rule and the way tackles are punished have tilted football in favour of attackers. Ferguson could be merely playing the odds.

Even one of his 2012-13 side's greatest strengths, their ability to come from behind, is acknowledged begrudgingly; as if they should not have conceded in the first place. But this was a quality venerated in the 1999-2003 sides. Perhaps the critics are taking an instinctive standpoint – they are a modest United team – and fitting the evidence to suit that, rather than judging them on their own terms.

But the narrative can be changed. We forget that the 1998-99 treble-winners, arguably Ferguson's greatest side, had their struggles. After Arsenal beat United 3-0, the Guardian's David Lacey wrote of a "listless, shapeless United side". In November, he warned of the "uncharacteristic errors" that had crept into Peter Schmeichel's game. And following United 3-2 home defeat to Middlesbrough, the Observer's Paul Wilson remarked that "Giggs's touch was poor … and Beckham … put in one of his least substantial performances".

In the midst of the 24-hour news cycle even the most insignificant of facts is stuck under a microscope. But with distance the squabbles and the grind are forgotten: we remember only the most vivid notes. The stunning comebacks against Juventus and Arsenal. Giggs's wonder goal. The feeling that Keane would blast through anything in his way.

Such a reappraisal could yet happen to this United team. Critics will point out that they rarely play well for 90 minutes and are often lucky. And that, between now and May, they will have been found out.

That may well be the case. But, given their record so far, their remarkable tenacity and their knack of winning matches – even when they have been stinking the place out – they surely deserve the benefit of the doubt over the next three months while we find out just how good they are.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Damn, I didn't see that United drew Chelsea in the FA Cup.

excellent

Wilbur

Banned
tl;dr we're actually quite good.

:lol

I agree with him actually. Think we always get too little praise. When we're top everyone goes on about how weak the league is, but City got umpteen amounts of praise last season for their point tally and goals scored. Hmm.

3Sixty

White Collar is a good show.

I wish I could wear a hat as well as Matt Bomer can.

Fallen off a fair bit really.

Shame as it was one of my favourites. I recently made the decision to re watch every episode of Psych sooooogooood

FootballFan

I agree with him actually. Think we always get too little praise. When we're top everyone goes on about how weak the league is, but City got umpteen amounts of praise last season for their point tally and goals scored. Hmm.

Yeah we're much better than last season, De Gea is proving those haters wrong.

Its nothing new. People don't want to be nice about Manchester United. If we had won the league last year it would have been a shit United team winning a shit league. City won it and everyone said it was a good City team.

They were right. No crap team wins the title. This might not be the best United team but the best ones are some of the best ever.

Clank clank clank. Both us and the haters.

pulga

Banned
Hey, um, I'm not sure how I should put this but the last half year has been terrible for me. I am doing better now, thank god, but the November-December period in particular was incredibly rough. Long story short, I was an angsty teenager dealing with a huge inferiority complex, low self esteem and social anxiety in the last year of high school. I was doing ok, not as outgoing as most but just fine. However everything went spiralling out of control when my father decided to start fucking somebody else and wanted a divorce. This was at the end of August. To make matters worse, his new love was a good family friend with whom I had barbecues and even went on trips to the beach in the summer. That hit me incredibly hard and the next few months I started to isolate myself more and more, not knowing how to cope with everything that was happening around me. I was depressed and going to school became a big problem for me. I slept poorly, only getting a few hours of sleep each night, making me feel even worse. I was home "sick" a lot and spent my days mostly laying in bed. In December the school therapist with whom I had spent many hours talking advised me to stay home the rest of December and think whether I wanted to try to finish school and give a shot at the exams at the end of the school year or give up and try again next year. Try to improve my mental health in the meanwhile and get my life back on track. After the holidays I was certain that there was no way I could pass the exams after missing hundreds of classes, so I decided that this would be a lost year. In the meantime I had been seeing a psychiatrist and he prescribed me antidepressants. He told me that sitting at home until summer wouldn't help me in any way and he said that he'd been thinking about a clinic specifically for troubled teenagers. This shocked me. I didn't think my whole situation was that bad. I'd be around people with real problems; anorexia, addicts, suicidal people etc. instead, in an effort to get my life back on track, I went to school again. I asked if it was possible to follow a less intensive schedule, focusing on the subjects that I struggle with to I prove my chances next year. Praise god they said yes, they truly wanted to help me and I want to school again last week for the first time in well over two months. Getting back in touch with my friends was something I really needed. It seems that everybody is behind me and wishes me the best. Even the teachers have been great. They were happy to see me again and complimented me on coming back and trying again.

All this time I have been surrounded by very kind people who wanted to help me and I didn't see it. I'm not going to lie, last week was tough. Nearly went home again Friday and cried a good amount because it was all a bit too much, but I got my shit together and stayed.

I feel a lot better. /livejournal

Very good to hear man, congrats!

kharma45

It's probably because we're not dominating matches, like say how Chelsea did under Jose, people don't see the team as strong.

Yeah we're much better than last season, De Gea is proving those haters wrong.

He's doing better for sure :p

Wilbur

Banned
Its nothing new. People don't want to be nice about Manchester United. If we had won the league last year it would have been a shit United team winning a shit league. City won it and everyone said it was a good City team.

They were right. No crap team wins the title. This might not be the best United team but the best ones are some of the best ever.

Clank clank clank. Both us and the haters.

:lol mechanical still makes me laugh.

Had no idea we were level on points with 2004/05 Chelsea. As impressive as the Invincibles were, that Chelsea side were the best I've watched over an entire season. They just decimated teams over and over again, 4-0 and 4-1 and 5-1 every week. Great, great team.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom