• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

It's a combination of factors. [...] ... in order to spend £10million on Konchesky & Poulsen, 2 of the worst players to appear for Liverpool.

Yeah, we've had the 'pleasure' too. :/ Thanks sohois, turns out I didn't know everything. :) But I'm still curious as to what happened after the 1989-90 season, which I believe was the last time Liverpool won the league? You guys were beasting all thoughout the 80s.

yeah, i can post some stuff from time to time if you guys dont mind!

You know we won't. How to say 'FUCK BAYERN!' in chinese would be a good start. <3

GorillaJu

It's a combination of factors. The first and probably most significant was the ownership of Hicks and Gilette, 2 who promised much but just left Liverpool with a load of debt and no investment. Things started to turn bad on the field in 2009. As Mastadon said, Xabi Alonso left and was not properly replaced. Now, there were a number of rumours about what was happening during that season, Benitez's last, which caused such difficulties but the end result was Liverpool fell out of the top 4.

This in itself was bad but not terrible; the loss of revenue coupled with H&Gs mismanagement made it harder for Liverpool to do transfer business, but there was no reason Liverpool couldn't have bounced back into the top 4. However, another H&G masterstroke fucked all that up. Christian Purslow, a man who was a Liverpool fan but also an incredible moron and complete cunt, decided to play Football Manager, sacking Rafa Benitez in order to replace him with Roy Hodgson. This exacerbated the already difficult footballing situation as Roy decided it was a good idea to send Aquilani and Insua on loan in order to spend £10million on Konchesky & Poulsen, 2 of the worst players to appear for Liverpool. Now, bear in mind there was no reason for Hodgson to have ever been appointed, even if Rafa had to go there other options. Dalglish had been asked to examine the candidates and decided that none were suitable, therefore suggesting himself for the position. Before Hodgson was hired, Dalglish was able to arrange an interview with Pellegrini, who was supposed to be ready to come to the club. But Purslow decided to ignore all that and chose the media darling.

So Hodgson comes in and is a complete disaster. Thankfully, at this point Liverpool get some respite. H&G are forced out of the club by the banks, leading to FSG taking over and removing the financial burden of the debt. Halfway through the season Hodgson is removed and Dalglish comes in and everything seems great, another chance perhaps to get back into the top 4. Unfortunately, Dalglish and DoF Damien Comolli waste £35 million on Andy Carroll, doubling down on their mistake with Stewart Downing in the summer. Liverpool again struggle on the pitch and fail to make top 4. This leads to Dalglish being sacked and replaced with Rodgers who has to operate on a more stringent budget and leaves Liverpool with their current long-term rebuilding job.

One other big factor has been the emergence of a second Oil club in Man City and the growth of Tottenham further increasing the competition for top 4. Had Liverpool's difficulties occured in 2007, say, it would have been far easier for them to rebound into the CL.

Very comprehensive. Pellegrini would have been a decent appointment. That Hodgson was given the job over him has to be the biggest joke in this whole debacle.

sohois

Yeah, we've had the 'pleasure' too. :/ Thanks sohois, turns out I didn't know everything. :) But I'm still curious as to what happened after the 1989-90 season, which I believe was the last time Liverpool won the league? You guys were beasting all thoughout the 80s.

You know we won't. How to say 'FUCK BAYERN!' in chinese would be a good start. <3

I can't comment so much on that one, bit before my time, but it was mostly down to manager Graeme Souness who made some terrible transfer errors.

as for the second point, &#20182;&#22920;&#30340;&#25308;&#20161;

edit: it seems the better translation would be:
&#25805;&#25308;&#20161;

Zabojnik

Here's the complete list of managers Zamparini replaced during his reign of terror first at Venezia and then at Palermo. Just unbelievable.

Venezia

1988-89 Aldo Cerantola, then G.B. Fabbri
1989-90 Tato Sabadini, then Antonio Pasinato
1990-91 Alberto Zaccheroni
1991-92 Alberto Zaccheroni, then Rino Marchesi, then Alberto Zaccheroni again
1993-94 Alberto Zaccheroni
1994-95 Giampiero Ventura, then Gigi Maifredi, then Gabriele Geretto, then Giampiero Ventura again, then Gabriele Geretto again
1995-96 Beppe Marchioro, then Gianfranco Bellotto
1996-97 Gianfranco Bellotto, then Walter De Vecchi
1997-98 Walter Novellino
1998-99 Walter Novellino
1999-00 Luciano Spalletti, then Giuseppe Materazzi, then Luciano Spalletti again, then Francesco Oddo
2000-01 Cesare Prandelli
2001-02 Cesare Prandelli, then Sergio Buso & Giuseppe Iachini, then Alfredo Magni & Giuseppe Iachini

Palermo

2002-03 Roberto Pruzzo, then Ezio Glerean, then Daniele Arrigoni, then Nedo Sonetti
2003-04 Silvio Baldini, then Francesco Guidolin
2004-05 Francesco Guidolin
2005-06 Luigi Delneri, then Giuseppe Papadopulo
2006-07 Francesco Guidolin, then Renzo Gobbo & Rosario Pergolizzi, then Francesco Guidolin again
2007-08 Stefano Colantuono, then Francesco Guidolin, then Stefano Colantuono again
2008-09 Stefano Colantuono, then Davide Ballardini
2009-10 Walter Zenga, then Delio Rossi
2010-11 Delio Rossi, then Serse Cosmi, then Delio Rossi again
2011-12 Stefano Pioli, then Devis Mangia, then Bortolo Mutti
2012-13 Giuseppe Sannino, then Gian Piero Gasperini, then Alberto Malesani, then Gian Piero Gasperini again...

choodi

Banned
I can't comment so much on that one, bit before my time, but it was mostly down to manager Graeme Souness who made some terrible transfer errors.

as for the second point, &#20182;&#22920;&#30340;&#25308;&#20161;

Fucking Souness, I still can't believe that we gave that prick the job after sacking Sir Bobby.

His MO seems to be to come in, argue with all the best players, sell them, buy shit players from Rangers at over the top prices to replace them, then leave with the team in dire straits.

MPW

True but where are they now?

Angels/Braves ftw

Venezuela won't make the world cup Letters but you'll still have béisbol :)

7791826.bin

Voted. I seriously hope that italians don't fuck up once again this time.

--

I'm still bummed after yesterday, we should've close the match during the first half. Welp, we'll be forced to win vs Lazio next weekend, we'll be at home so I guess we can think about winning that one.

Fun fact: the last derby ended in a draw was in 2004, four days before we won vs Barcelona at home, just like yesterday.

2 things basically

-Souness turns out to be a joke
-The club's administration doesn't even try to use the increased marketing oppurtunity provided by the swith to the Premier League, letting Man Utd overtake us in finances and attractiveness for transfers

So basically as we got worse and worse, Man Utd further cemented themselves as the top force in the country, and every time we've looked like at least challenging over a period of 3+ years, we've fucked up

Man Utd: Adapt and evolve, or die
Liverpool: Wasn't it great in the 80s?

Basically

Salazar

Dat Tommy.

His brother (in my year) was a gun footballer. Didn't realise Tommy was good until he'd made it (A League, at least).

Yes but you forgot he won the Eredivisie title, the russian one and the scottish one. No matter how you spin it, these are facts.

Oh I certainly remember the Russian title ;) We won it in spite of him. Arshavin willed us to that title. BTW does Dicky still hate making subs?

choodi

Banned
Dat Tommy.

His brother (in my year) was a gun footballer. Didn't realise Tommy was good until he'd made it (A League, at least).

Tommy Oar was always the brightest of all the rising stars in Australia. I really hope he develops quick, because the Socceroos really need someone like him.

Salazar

Aye.

Davidde Corran &#8207;@DaviddeCorran
Falcao, Jackson Martinez and next up could be Carlos Bacca. 26-year-old Colombian now has 18 goals in 21 games for Club Brugge.

Andres Seal of Homo-erotic Approval ?

uWtZ66Q.jpg

Fry

Wilbury, just saw your newest pictures on facebook. You have a Nirvana shirt... tell me you like them?

You're ok in my books again (taste-wise)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom