• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
That's what happens when you got a shit publisher and a shit developer. Dead space is possible the most overrated franchise of this generation, Assasins Creed is giving it good competition though. Visceral just sucks, Dantes inferno and The Godfather 2 were laughable too.

Personally, I thought the first two were great fun.

Never tried Dante's Inferno, meh.

Its one of those games where I honestly just can't fathom how people can abide by the loose gameplay/animation and shitty physics. I'm not trying to say that my opinion is more correct than others, but...it kind of is.

:p

I don't really find the animations annoying anymore, slowly learnt to adjust to them and it feels just fine now, kind of like killzone 2's heavy ass controls at first seemed unplayable.

Have played fifa for 10 hours straight every now and then with the GAF club and it has been hilarious, some of the most fun multiplaying. Local couch multiplayer also still fantastic and I don't really have any friends who wants to play anything couch multiplayer other than fifa, hell most games doesn't even have the option anymore other than sport games. Maybe you should play with a decent team though (not Liverpool) to make it not seems lose and shitty. ;)

Fifa got a lot of bugs and crap they should have fixed a long time ago, but even with all its faults it's just fantastic fun.

footballers-mullet-024.jpg

Those crazy Colombians.

GjDxtLE.jpg

What style does Andres have?

I think PES has been held back by technology a lot, they were still using the PS2 engine in 2009. They overhauled it in 2010, but it's still shit. Hopefully the FOX Engine can deliver something great, because the games have been unplayable since 2010.
At least animation-wise, the games won't look like shit any longer.

PES 2014 should be interesting. It better be too because I sure as hell am not buying any more FIFA. I'll just play NBA 2K instead, at least it's a simulation and looks realistic.

This is Football on the PS1 was fun as hell, too bad the PS2 ones sucked ass.

PES is held back by the advance in technology. The focus on realistic animation kills gameplay.

The joy of PES used to be the sharp, responsive gameplay and satisfying ball-playing mechanics. When you curled a ball, it felt and looked like curling a ball. When you smash one in to the top corner, the camera couldn't quite keep up and it was as close as games come to replciating a real-life physical feeling. When you hold the ball for a second and glide a through ball to the striker at the perfect moment, you feel like Xavi. When you wait for a striker to make a move and pull off a 4 yard slide tackle as the last defender, you feel like Baresi

When I play FIFA, I feel like a man made out of elastic bands kicking a beachball in 0.75 gravity

rvy

Banned
Apparently FIFA 14 will be on PS4 day one.

And it will be arcade as hell. I also doubt that they won't remove any features from 13 to 14. EA usually do when they jump the generation, claiming it's because they didn't have enough time due to the new tech. Hilarious.

Hopefully the physics and animation won't suck anymore.

PES is held back by the advance in technology. The focus on realistic animation kills gameplay.

The joy of PES used to be the sharp, responsive gameplay and satisfying ball-playing mechanics. When you curled a ball, it felt and looked like curling a ball. When you smash one in to the top corner, the camera couldn't quite keep up and it was as close as games come to replciating a real-life physical feeling. When you hold the ball for a second and glide a through ball to the striker at the perfect moment, you feel like Xavi. When you wait for a striker to make a move and pull off a 4 yard slide tackle as the last defender, you feel like Baresi

When I play FIFA, I feel like a man made out of elastic bands kicking a beachball in 0.75 gravity

Fucking yes, this is exactly it.

And it will be arcade as hell. I also doubt that they won't remove any features from 13 to 14. EA usually do when they jump the generation, claiming it's because they didn't have enough time due to the new tech. Hilarious.

Hopefully the physics and animation won't suck anymore.

Fucking yes, this is exactly it.

I disagree with your 'arcadey' notion btw. For me to enjoy them, they need to accept that the only way to make it satisying to play, is to go arcadey. FIFA at the moment is striving for realism, and failing dismally because they can't do it right

You guys will laugh, but ad hoc PES 5 on PSP was one of the most realistic simulations of football. For some reason the game completely transformed in that mode.

Empty

this is football was shit but i did enjoy how one of the ps2 ones had a deliberate dive button. my friends and i would abuse the shit out of it and end up simulating el clasisco's of the future.

rvy

Banned
I disagree with your 'arcadey' notion btw. For me to enjoy them, they need to accept that the only way to make it satisying to play, is to go arcadey. FIFA at the moment is striving for realism, and failing dismally because they can't do it right

When I say "arcade" I mean that, for example, FIFA only allows you to score from certain hotspots on the pitch. That the finesse shot is overpowered as fuck. That anybody who's good with the skill stick can bring defenses down regardless of the player they're using. That they rubberband the AI on defense, because God knows that the defenders have no AI, so they need to warp the defender next to the player. That attacking players also have no AI and get caught offside more often than they should.

In FIFA, I learned that most CBs or WBs/FBs are as fast as Ronaldo.

Another good example of how the game is arcade is that you are not able to play Barcelona's game even with Barcelona. The AI isn't ready to handle that amount of runs and one-twos, it's broken. Have any of you ever seen a realistic goal in FIFA? I know I haven't.

I get why people say it's fun, it kinda is. Especially with friends or with people online who don't cheese, but it's also arcade and they claim it's sim.

frikikgw124r6r.gif

#FUCKFIFA

When I say "arcade" I mean that, for example, FIFA only allows you to score from certain hotspots on the pitch. That the finesse shot is overpowered as fuck. That anybody who's good with the skill stick can bring defenses down regardless of the player they're using. That they rubberband the AI on defense, because God knows that the defenders have no AI, so they need to warp the defender next to the player. That attacking players also have no AI and get caught offside more often than they should.

In FIFA, I learned that most CBs or WBs/FBs are as fast as Ronaldo.

Another good example of how the game is arcade is that you are not able to play Barcelona's game even with Barcelona. The AI isn't ready to handle that amount of runs and one-twos, it's broken. Have any of you ever seen a realistic goal in FIFA? I know I haven't.

I get why people say it's fun, it kinda is. Especially with friends or with people online who don't cheese, but it's also arcade and they claim it's sim.

frikikgw124r6r.gif

#FUCKFIFA

Ah, I thought you just meant in terms of 'feel' :D

#FuckPESfreekickdifficulty

Whenever I play my brother on PES6, I do tiki-taka for 20seconds or so as the AI can't keep up with it and the automatic player switching stops him getting between players, and the game doesn't take over to block the spare player in the triangle :p

Its his punishment for being a fucking cutback king

Oxx

I don't really enjoy it by myself tbh.

It's crack with 3 other players though. Cocaine.

Yeah, I played a bit of Tri, but I was hoping the 3DS game would be better for grinding around.

Unfortunately the demo just emphasises the worst aspects of the game.

rvy

Banned
Ah, I thought you just meant in terms of 'feel' :D

#FuckPESfreekickdifficulty

Whenever I play my brother on PES6, I do tiki-taka for 20seconds or so as the AI can't keep up with it and the automatic player switching stops him getting between players, and the game doesn't take over to block the spare player in the triangle :p

Its his punishment for being a fucking cutback king

Never forget.

The beauty of PES' free-kicks was that you needed to practice them, but once you got good, there was no going back. I remember that you needed to press triangle after square for power, or cross after square for placement. It was amazing.

PES was fucking amazing. Clocked like 1000 games and 1000 hours on those games betwee 4 and 6 my latest one. Local scene was amazing and won a tourney and got a 2nd place in another one.

Good times. Fifa IS arcadey, but so was PES4

sohois

Am I the only one here who still plays PES? Never been able to play FIFA, I brought it once in '09 but it was so terrible i even went back to playing PES 2008. Played a few of the other versions since then but nothing seems to have changed. Doesn't help that I despise playing online and only play single player, where even FIFA fans admit PES has the stronger modes.

rvy

Banned
Neymar will never, EVER be in the discussion for the best on the world. It's weird to see people expecting otherwise. Yeah, he'll be a good player, but nowhere near Ronaldo, much less Messi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom