• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtb

Banned
Meh, all of us would be like that if it happened to our club and won the CL

What did people expect? Everyone knew that the CL win was basically the last chance for that generation of players (Cole, Terry, Lampard, Drogba). Someone, whether it's the fans or Roman, had to realize that you can't win titles playing like that, hell you can't even win multiple champions leagues like that. Chelsea aren't necessarily underperforming under Benitez (or RDM for that matter); this is exactly where they were heading last season too, and they finished 6th. Except now the spine of the team is one year older, and they put all the eggs in the Torres basket, which is a decision so bad it speaks for itself.

feel

He did. He said something along the lines of "lol whatevs, it's the least important cup"
ibhCT8hs669WEw.gif

Clegg

The only striker who's really flourished at Chelsea in the last 10 years is Drogba. Anelka was pretty good for 18 months too. Lukaku looks like he might make it though.

Kezman
Crespo
Shevchenko
Torres
Di Santo
Pizarro

All failures.

Bumhead

Banned
Look at Southampton, same thing happened, fans/players got behind the new manager, and now they're doing well.

That's not a reasonable comparison. Chelsea and Southampton supporters are absolutely nothing alike. Mainly because Southampton supporters remember where they have come from, appreciate their success and are grounded by a basic sense of reality. It's not the same as the post-2002 face painted, flag waving tossers at Stamford Bridge who have made the atmosphere poison at home games and have damaged the club in doing so (Rafa's right about that too), in their fantasy land bubble of delusional expectations.

Regarding your point about Manchester United supporters, would they kick off like a bunch of pussies and cry about the manager, the Chairman or whoever else if they had the audacity to only win one trophy in a season? Would they fuck.

Arnie

And Arnie, would you be happy with if Moyes took over from Rafa the season after Liverpool won the CL? Of course you wouldn't, and it's exactly the same here.
You can't compare the Merseyside rivalry to that of Liverpool and Chelsea over the last decade. The latter rivalry is manufactured nonsense, and smacks of Chelsea fans needing to add to their limited menu as a club of European importance.

How is Moyes taking over at Liverpool at all comparable? Genuinely, try and answer this. Moyes is a manager who's won fuck all; Benitez has won the Champions League, Uefa Cup, and La Liga twice. You're implying that to the might of Roberto Di Matteo, Benitez is but David Moyes? Benitez is a more accomplished manager than both. Simple.

So with that irrefutable logic cemented, I can only assume you're also referring to some fabled rivalry between Liverpool and Chelsea that denies any former Liverpool manager the courtesy of taking over at Stamford Bridge. This is bollocks. The only way you can compare it to the Merseyside rivalry is that one team plays in red, the other blue.

The greatest irony of all is Chelsea fans get themselves worked up over Benitez because he outsmarted them on the grand stage, and had a pop at their relatively meagre support. Firstly you'd think they'd be wise enough to recognise a good manager when he outwitted their own on multiple occasions, and secondly use this one moment to prove said person ultimately wrong by properly supporting their team.

Chelsea is a striker's cemetery. It also doesn't help that they only have 2 strikers, and one of them is absolutely terrible.
And they sold their best one for a cheap fee.

now that Benitez said he will leave Chelsea at the end of the season, I wonder who they will hire next.

Guardiola, Mourinho, AVB, Ancelotti are all taken. Laudrup maybe?

Diablos54

You guys are taking my comparisons waaaaay too literally. :p And it's too late for me to replay to every point considering I have to be up in 5 hours for work, we shall continue this tomorrow when I get back from work!

I'd also forgotten that Scott Parker played for them too.
I was so pissed when we sold him. :(

Bumhead

Banned
now that Benitez said he will leave Chelsea at the end of the season, I wonder who they will hire next.

Guardiola, Mourinho, AVB, Ancelotti are all taken. Laudrup maybe?

If Laudrup leaves Swansea to go to Chelsea he wants his head looking at. A non-starter for me.

I suspect they might be feeding on the scraps of their history or scraping the unemployed market. If Zola gets Watford promoted, maybe they'll have him for 4 months.

jtb

Banned
If Laudrup leaves Swansea to go to Chelsea he wants his head looking at. A non-starter for me.

I suspect they might be feeding on the scraps of their history or scraping the unemployed market. If Zola gets Watford promoted, maybe they'll have him for 4 months.

They're running out of managers who have won the Champions League.

faridmon

Tell me, tell me, tell me the answer, you may be a lover but you ain't no dancer. Helter skelter, tananananana, helter skelter!

Love that song, but I was surprised that it meant something.

Thomas Nashe used it that way in his 'Four letters confuted', 1592:

Helter skelter, feare no colours, course him, trounce him.

It means '' Disorderly haste, or profound confusion.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
And there's the third one for El Salvador in injury time! Poor Panama, they had at least five clear chances in the first half plus the missed penalty. A victory for anti-football.

So Argentina and Brazil don't make the World Cup, but Cuba and El Salvador do. lol

faridmon

Di Canio is an absolute nutter, whoever has him as their manager for a few months is in for a hell of a ride.

He is nutter because he cares. He did so well at Swindon, not only footballing wise, but of the pitch stuff as well. He even shelled out money from his own pocket to buy a player.

Chelsea need a fan friendly appointment for the next manager. If Mourinho doesn't return back to his spiritual home then I reckon they might entertain offering Zola the job.

He is nutter because he cares. He did so well at Swindon, not only footballing wise, but of the pitch stuff as well. He even shelled out money from his own pocket to buy a player.

Paid for Pizza for those that helped clear snow off the pitch also.

Undecided about Di Canio though - there was a lot of money spent at Swindon (12 mil in debt, biggest wage bill in league 1) but he has done a fantastic job with what he's been given.

Clegg

I wouldn't want to see Zola become the new Chelsea manager.

He's much too likeable and I'd be sad for him after he gets sacked a season into the job.

While I have never particularly liked Rafa I think he's right the fans carrying on is only seeking to damage the club more than help it.

As for Arnie's nonsense above it really doesn't matter if Rafa is more accomplished than RDM imo in any business decision you have to look on more than one factor when appointing a head, it was a fact that RDM has won us our first UCL cup it was a fact that the fans loved him it was also a fact that the general population of the fans wanted nothing to do with Rafa either therefore sacking a beloved manager who just won us the holy grail to appoint a man despise by most of us was a stupid move period. Doesn't matter what kind of record he may have had in the past, but then again its the typical Liverpool living in the past mentally going on here.

sohois

While I have never particularly liked Rafa I think he's right the fans carrying on is only seeking to damage the club more than help it.

As for Arnie's nonsense above it really doesn't matter if Rafa is more accomplished than RDM imo in any business decision you have to look on more than one factor when appointing a head, it was a fact that RDM has won us our first UCL cup it was a fact that the fans loved him it was also a fact that the general population of the fans wanted nothing to do with Rafa either therefore sacking a beloved manager who just won us the holy grail to appoint a man despise by most of us was a stupid move period. Doesn't matter what kind of record he may have had in the past, but then again its the typical Liverpool living in the past mentally going on here.

If you are unhappy with the decision to replace a manager then you protest at the person who made that decision; it wasn't Rafa's fault that RDM got fired.

Also, surely Steve Clarke would be considered for the Chelsea job?

defel

I agree that the Benitez appointment was wrong but that doesn't justify the personal attacks against him. Benitez has a record that deserves more respect than Chelsea fans have showed him. I sympathize with the reasonable Chelsea fans who are watching their club churn through managers (occasionally competent managers at that) at a disturbingly high rate.

If you are unhappy with the decision to replace a manager then you protest at the person who made that decision; it wasn't Rafa's fault that RDM got fired.

Also, surely Steve Clarke would be considered for the Chelsea job?

Oh I agree with this, its not like I am blaming Rafa here though If I was him I wouldn't have taken the job.

faridmon

Paid for Pizza for those that helped clear snow off the pitch also.

Undecided about Di Canio though - there was a lot of money spent at Swindon (12 mil in debt, biggest wage bill in league 1) but he has done a fantastic job with what he's been given.

Most of the money was spent before he came in as a manager. Danny Willson spend way lot that he had. Also, he sold a lot of players which lead to their finance to stabilise to certain degree. The club was a mess before he came in and have done right at many level, even if he did them in a crazy sort of way.

He is not the best, but he had ideas and the most important of all passion for the game which is affectionating.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
@FEMEXFUTOFICIAL

Alineación México: Sánchez; Flores; Marín; Briseño; Hernández; Zamorano; Gómez; Bueno; Corona; Van Rankin y Escoboza DT Sergio Almaguer

So basically the same line-up as the first game. Time to get business done.

Wilbur

Banned
What do Chelsea fans really expect to happen now, though?

Which top managers really want to join them? Pep was scared away. Klopp ain't going near them with a barge pole. Pelligrini, maybe, but he's not the same caliber manager as, say, Ancelotti, who they sacked ruthlessly. Joke club. Joke job.

I think Pellegrini's fantastic, arguably as good as Ancelotti. Did a great job with Villarreal, doing a great job with manager and only got sacked from a great job with Madrid because he isn't a big enough name, which is probably why Chelsea won't go for him.

Ancelotti's league record at Milan wasn't great, but I suppose you can't sniff at the CL record. I love Carlo though <3 wish he wasn't in the weakest league in Europe.

Most of the money was spent before he came in as a manager. Danny Willson spend way lot that he had. Also, he sold a lot of players which lead to their finance to stabilise to certain degree. The club was a mess before he came in and have done right at many level, even if he did them in a crazy sort of way.

He is not the best, but he had ideas and the most important of all passion for the game which is affectionating.

I thought them being in the shit now was why he left and why they sold one of the best players in he league for such a cheap price?

faridmon

I thought them being in the shit now was why he left and why they sold one of the best players in he league for such a cheap price?

The board fucked him over. He didn't want any of his players sold, but the hierarchy did it behind his back, whilst players Marlon's pack move from Cheltenham was collapsed because of them. I was reading the other day about the club from fans perspective that there was some dodgy stuff going on at the higher ups with the sales of players and the budget not funded into the club. That is why the club in some sort of administration and the owners are trying to offload some of the shares to other potential buyers.

He put up with lot of crap. They sold so many players that he wanted to keep with out consulting him and I guess Matt Ritchie was the camel that broke the camels back.

Read this and see what happened in the timeline; Wray and Patey fucked over the club and placed it into administration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom