• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bo-Locks

Go read the Armstrong case. Come back with a straight face and tell me any professional sport is clean. Doping is par for the course in every top level competition. Football and tennis especially have joke measures.

I can easily see doping being widespread in football, particularly in Spain, Italy and lower levels in England. Do you think top flight English teams are doing it too? Maybe they are but they're just much more tentative and cautious than in parts of Europe where it's not looked down upon so much.

Kyoufu

#Hype

NBNCP4o.jpg

Wenger should take some blame and he has. But he isn't the only one to blame. There isn't enough focus on the players who regularly disappoint and under perform. Given, we aren't a great side but we should be competing in these matches with the sort of effort we see in the second halves. Why cant we do it in the first? That's not a question for the coach but rather the players. Like Wilshere said, he picks the side but its up to them to produce the goods.

Question is, could another coach get more out of these players than Wenger? I am doubtful

I can easily see doping being widespread in football, particularly in Spain, Italy and lower levels in England. Do you think top flight English teams are doing it too? Maybe they are but they're just much more tentative and cautious than in parts of Europe where it's not looked down upon so much.
Why only lower leagues in England?

jtb

Banned
Wenger should take some blame and he has. But he isn't the only one to blame. There isn't enough focus on the players who regularly disappoint and under perform. Given, we aren't a great side but we should be competing in these matches with the sort of effort we see in the second halves. Why cant we do it in the first? That's not a question for the coach but rather the players. Like Wilshere said, he picks the side but its up to them to produce the goods.

Question is, could another coach get more out of these players than Wenger? I am doubtful

Mourinho wouldn't tolerate this shit.

But most of these players just aren't good enough period. So that's comes down on the board (and Wenger) too.

Suen

We played horrible as usual. Sagna was mostly shit, I don't know what the fuck Cazorla was doing and Vermaelen was basically non-existant and awful. Defense was lol-worthy as usual and while we did bring the ball to their penalty arena a good number of times we, as I mentioned once before, had huge problems breaking through their defense and creating good chances. Overall we played like shit and watching this match was more depressing than joyful. The only one who played good today was Wilshere and if I were to exaggerate I'd say he was the only man on the pitch. Yes we were a bit unlucky, Giroud could have scored a second goal but that chance wasn't enough itself, we needed to create way more.

Honestly I don't see us winning in Munich, not a chance if the game today is any indication on how we'll play there. At this point it feels more like "Good bye CL". We should focus on being in the top 4 in the league but even that might prove to be an impossible task this season for a shitty team like ours.

Last year Bayern kicked Madrid out of CL, this year it seems they will kick out Arsenal. What have I done to deserve Bayerns wrath? FUCK BAYERN!

You guys played great! Well done. Ribery is still a cunt though :p

Blackhead

Redarse
Arsenal should sack Wenger, get in Mourinho, and give him that £70m warchest the Telegraph talked about.

This Sounds Familiar
There is something awfully familiar about the stories around in the press this morning about Arsene Wenger being given a rather large transfer kitty to spend in the summer.

The Daily Telegraph reports this morning that Arsene Wenger will be given £70million to spend in the summer, and it's one we've heard before.

On this very day in 2012, The Daily Mirror reported that Arsenal were 'sitting on a £57million transfer kitty'. On February 16, 2011 the Daily Telegraph said Wenger would have a 'player budget of around £40 million this summer and will be allowed to spend it how he chooses'. It came slightly later in 2010, with The Daily Star reporting that Wenger would go on a '£60million spree' that summer, with Ander Herrera, Moussa Sissoko and Angel Di Maria mentioned as targets.

We're sure it's just a coincidence that the Mirror story in 2012 found its way into the press the day after Arsenal went out of the FA Cup to Sunderland and a few days after their 4-0 defeat to AC Milan in the Champions League. And the Telegraph story in 2011 was the week after that 4-4 draw with Newcastle. And the Star's report in 2010 was conjured from the ether a couple of days after a defeat to Spurs ended their faint title hopes, and the week after they were knocked out of the Champions League by Barcelona.

And of course all of the stories entered the public consciousness at around the time those lovely, juicy season ticket renewals were due.

So forgive Mediawatch if we're not holding our breath on behalf of Gooners everywhere.

feel

^^So did I lol.

So if everyone is doing it, why is it cheating?

Milan must surely be doing it too. Even playing grounds. Wait, don't tell me, Barca are the only ones. lololol
At least we know Madrid (except for Ronaldo) are clean with how they all get tired and their brains shut down after 15 minutes.

Blablurn

since i have an exam at 9am, i'm totally gonna block myself from the internet until i come back home and watch the conference all by myself. go go go sony.

They're saying on ITV that Arsenal need to get CL to attract the type of players they want to sign. I can't really think of anyone they've got that would have refused to join them without champions league, I just don't think the players are of that higher standard.

Meier

Arsenal should sack Wenger, get in Mourinho, and give him that £70m warchest the Telegraph talked about.

The warchest will shrink by about £50m if/when they don't make the UCL next season IMO. Realistically, their revenue will fall by about 1/4th next year without it.

flippedb

Banned
They lost Thiago Silva and Nesta, among others. They've been doing very well in Serie A in the last 4 months, but defense isn't really their strong point. If Barca play like they know how to and Milan's midfield gets jumped, it's going to be a massacre. Well, maybe not a massacre, but I can see them putting 3 past Abbiati at least.

Agreed, it's going to be hard. However, a defensive Milan can still get results, see the match vs Juve at San Siro. Juve could barely get dangerous attacks.

pappe

The warchest will shrink by about £50m if/when they don't make the UCL next season IMO. Realistically, their revenue will fall by about 1/4th next year without it.
Aren't they gonna b receiving a huge amount in terms of tv rights for nxt season? I don't see their revenu dropping by 1/4th

Timurid

I want him, Isco and Verratti at Juve. Amazing player.
Do you even strikers then?

Haven't been following PSG to be honest, so ... maybe. Carletto is a vecchia volpe.
Ancelotti did it twice before and could do again!

That's one thing i love about European football, you never know who is going to win. For example, when Torino defeated Real Madrid back in 92 in the Europa League.

Agreed, it's going to be hard. However, a defensive Milan can still get results, see the match vs Juve at San Siro. Juve could barely get dangerous attacks.

Juve have no strikers.

Mourinho wouldn't tolerate this shit.

But most of these players just aren't good enough period. So that's comes down on the board (and Wenger) too.

I just can't see us challenging without a massive influx of high quality players. Aside from two players, none of them are Champions material. Our entire backline would need to be replaced, a couple more world class editions to our midfield and a coveted striker. Trouble is that would cost an average of 15-20m per player - we'd need to invest hundreds of millions. To do that we would need to find oil money and throw out our plans.

The problems we face are just reflected through the current squad and management but in reality are rooted far deeper. No change of manager will change the course of the club.

PL this season against other top 4 leagues

Chelsea 1 - 4 Atletico Madrid LOSS
Tottenham 0 - 0 Lazio DRAW
Man City 2 - 3 Real Madrid LOSS
Man City 1 - 1 Dortmund DRAW
Liverpool 2 - 3 Udinese LOSS
Chelsea 2 - 2 Juventus DRAW
Arsenal 0 - 2 Schalke LOSS
Arsenal 2 - 2 Schalke DRAW
Chelsea 0 - 3 Juventus LOSS
Man City 1 - 1 Real Madrid DRAW
Man City 0 - 1 Dortmund LOSS
Udinese 0 - 1 Liverpool WIN
Real Madrid 1 - 1 Man Utd DRAW
Arsenal 1 - 3 Bayern LOSS

1 win
7 draws
7 losses

6.25% win rate

jtb

Banned

1 win
7 draws
7 losses

6.25% win rate

are you intentionally leaving off United to prove some kind of point?

FuturusX

I agree. Time to spend / re-develop. Yada Yada...

Arsenal really need a truly inspirational player, perhaps two. Theo is perhaps not it. Jack on the other hand is nearly there.

Say what you want about Liverpool, most of you do, but Suarez is that kind of player.

Imagine Arsenal had actually been successful when the team was considerably stronger? (RVP, Cesc, Nasri et al) Some of them might still be there. Arsenal it seems are paying for past failures.

Liverpool will lose Suarez too if they don't proceed to the CL soon. Big players leave for greener pastures and are wary to go where the land is barren.

/rant

Mastadon

Banned

1 win
7 draws
7 losses

6.25% win rate

Liverpool making England look good yet again.