• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

arkon

Did you see that, Queen? We are the kings of London

19,w=993,c=0.bild.jpeg

in before chelsea are champions of europe. cunt.

Martinez looks like The Fonz there.

ColR100

Low rent prostitute. Treat yourself Dan.

Schalke are favourites against Galatasaray tomorrow. I'd stick it on a Gala win.

Lol. They aren't at all. Schalke are favourites 'to qualify' outright (just)...but even then there's not much between them in that market.

Still, stick it on Gala. Schalke are bang out of form at the moment, and the Turkish team should win.

Or put it on Gala DnB for some safety (might be around 8/13 for that).

Meier

Aren't they gonna b receiving a huge amount in terms of tv rights for nxt season? I don't see their revenu dropping by 1/4th

Good call about the domestic TV rights. So maybe they'll lose about 1/5th of their revenue instead.. either way, it's a significant chunk that they've depended on every year. Their revenue for last season was £235m -- the UCL portion of that (prize money and broadcast revenue) has to be at least £50m I'd think. It's a huge amount of money they won't be able to count on to help balance the books next season.

Arnie

PL this season against other top 4 leagues

Chelsea 1 - 4 Atletico Madrid LOSS
Tottenham 0 - 0 Lazio DRAW
Man City 2 - 3 Real Madrid LOSS
Man City 1 - 1 Dortmund DRAW
Liverpool 2 - 3 Udinese LOSS
Chelsea 2 - 2 Juventus DRAW
Arsenal 0 - 2 Schalke LOSS
Arsenal 2 - 2 Schalke DRAW
Chelsea 0 - 3 Juventus LOSS
Man City 1 - 1 Real Madrid DRAW
Man City 0 - 1 Dortmund LOSS
Udinese 0 - 1 Liverpool WIN
Real Madrid 1 - 1 Man Utd DRAW
Arsenal 1 - 3 Bayern LOSS

1 win
7 draws
7 losses

6.25% win rate

Liverpool England's shining light in Europe once again.

Zabojnik

Agreed, it's going to be hard. However, a defensive Milan can still get results, see the match vs Juve at San Siro. Juve could barely get dangerous attacks.

Yeah, well, that was the match right after Juve 3 - 0 Chelsea. We lost to Milan more or less the same way we lost to Roma on Saturday after beating Celtic. By barely showing up, having given it all in the previous match. I'm not saying Milan can't defend for shit. And I really like De Sciglio, to name just one player. I just think Barca is on another level altogether. Compared to us too. If Milan manage to pull a miracle tomorrow, I'll be very surprised.

But what do I know? I thought Arsenal had half a chance tonight. There's a reason I don't bet. :)

ShogunX

BEST. LEAGUE. IN THE WORLD.

I was always under the impression that ''Best League In The World'' applies just as much to the entertainment value as it does the strength of the teams. Not many other top leagues provide an AGUEROOOOOOOOOOOO moment on the last day in the last minute.

avaya

^^So did I lol.

So if everyone is doing it, why is it cheating?

Milan must surely be doing it too. Even playing grounds. Wait, don't tell me, Barca are the only ones. lololol

Who said Barca were the only ones? Some teams do it more than others. Barcelona and Real Madrid are HEAVILY suspect in this regard just by association to known doping doctors.

Doping is expensive, it is the top level teams that do it and it's what gives them an advantage. It is widespread across football for certain. Zidane has admitted to using blood doping in his career. Read Matias Almeyda's autobiography on the "treatments" players got. In cycling that is a multi-year ban. That is what Armstrong did.

The main reason the English league has caught up to it's European counterparts from the late 90s onwards is due to the import of these new "supplement" methods.

The English and Italians tend to test more than others but the programmes in Spain and Germany are almost unfettered. Germany has a doping culture which goes way back and I'm not talking GDR. I'm talking 1954 World Cup Final miracle match vs. Hungary and the discarded needles found in the German dressing room afterwards.

Most of the athletes caught in doping scandals in recent years have been getting their drugs from Spanish practioners in Spain. The attitudes are slightly different - almost accepted and never talked about. Nadal is doped as fuck.

Oh and Bradley Wiggins/Team Sky/British Cycling? If you follow cycling closely most people suspect them hugely.

Once you scratch away the veneer of it all you realise 3 things.

1. The drugs test technology is way behind the PEDs available (blood doping isn't PED based but its still cheating and undetectable)
2. Failing a drugs test is actually a matter of IQ since most doping occurs out of competition (effects last though season).
3. The drugs testing regime in all sports bar Cycling and Athletics is non-existent and even in those sports still not enough to catch them all.

No one wants to rock the boat since there is so much money involved. Can you imagine the fallout?

Kyoufu

I was always under the impression that ''Best League In The World'' applies just as much to the entertainment value as it does the strength of the teams. Not many other top leagues provide an AGUEROOOOOOOOOOOO moment on the last day in the last minute.

When we have the likes of Arselol, Chelolsea, Lolerpool and Newcastlol for entertainment value there is absolutely no denying the Premier League is the best league.

Yeah I agree.

No doubt that alot of people genuinely thought we had the best teams and players - and tbf I think for 2/3 years we did.

But the league does tend to have alot of drama in it regardless of quality. I don't know if that drama is there in other leagues cos I don't follow them closely enough but it was never just "omg we got best teams".

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
PL this season against other top 4 leagues

Chelsea 1 - 4 Atletico Madrid LOSS
Man City 2 - 3 Real Madrid LOSS
Man City 1 - 1 Dortmund DRAW
Liverpool 2 - 3 Udinese LOSS
Chelsea 2 - 2 Juventus DRAW
Arsenal 0 - 2 Schalke LOSS
Arsenal 2 - 2 Schalke DRAW
Chelsea 0 - 3 Juventus LOSS
Man City 1 - 1 Real Madrid DRAW
Man City 0 - 1 Dortmund LOSS
Udinese 0 - 1 Liverpool WIN
Real Madrid 1 - 1 Man Utd DRAW
Arsenal 1 - 3 Bayern LOSS

1 win
7 draws
7 losses

6.25% win rate

We had three goals wrongly ruled out over two games against Lazio. UEFA refs are so shit.

jtb

Banned
I just can't see us challenging without a massive influx of high quality players. Aside from two players, none of them are Champions material. Our entire backline would need to be replaced, a couple more world class editions to our midfield and a coveted striker. Trouble is that would cost an average of 15-20m per player - we'd need to invest hundreds of millions. To do that we would need to find oil money and throw out our plans.

The problems we face are just reflected through the current squad and management but in reality are rooted far deeper. No change of manager will change the course of the club.

There are bargains everywhere. The board just need to pull the fucking trigger on them. You don't need to spend 15-20m on every player, just the top top ones. (ie. an Isco) The rest can be filled with smart, shrewd buys and developing young prospects into top players. Just look at the players Newcastle bought in January; Sissoko was a bargain. Why didn't we pick up Ba? 7m is a fucking bargain for a top goalscorer. etc.

We could've gotten Cahill for ~7m last summer, even cheaper last January. (Though Mertseacker was a good buy) The list goes on and on.

This squad can be rebuilt on a reasonable budget to compete in Europe again, for... say 50m net spend. Maybe less. But that kind of policy is probably antithetical to Wenger's philosophy, so if it means Wenger out... then Wenger out. No need to drag his reputation down further, it's time for him to resign with dignity. Then the board needs to go all out on a push for Mourinho.

Wenger (or whoever's in charge of this shit)'s old policy used to revolve around buying prospects and turning them into more valuable players. Now the policy is to overpay on average players.

Mastadon

Banned
Yeah I agree.

No doubt that alot of people genuinely thought we had the best teams and players - and tbf I think for 2/3 years we did.

But the league does tend to have alot of drama in it regardless of quality. I don't know if that drama is there in other leagues cos I don't follow them closely enough but it was never just "omg we got best teams".

English clubs were extremely strong in European competitions for a good 4 years. These things are cyclical though, our time will come again.

Scum

I'm seriously considering getting it. I usually prefer to get only one current gen console (and then those I missed the gen before), but Wii U just isn't doing much for me.

Shitty OS, lack of even the most basic functions (such as DVD playback), no accounts, disappointing line-up...

There should be Spring & Summer OS updates soon enough. As for multimedia functions, just use the PS4 for that. :D
I'm gearing up to build a PC soon and will be getting a PS4 when it shows up to complement my Wii U. M$ can fuck off with whatever they show up with.

Randdalf

The warchest will shrink by about £50m if/when they don't make the UCL next season IMO. Realistically, their revenue will fall by about 1/4th next year without it.

I think I recall that Arsenal don't budget for CL money, plus I expect most of any warchest will come from their overflowing cash reserves.

Zabojnik

Juve bros, Simone 'Best' Pepe will undergo an operation. :/ He and Marotta are saying the season may not be over yet, but we all know it is. We already knew, now it's official. This really sucks, he was one of our best players last season. Goodbye 4-3-3. :(((

Arsenal don't need that many new players. They need 3/4 really good ones who make others look better.

A good GK - Chesney is not good
A top CB - Arsenal need a leader at the back, would help the others. Monreal is a good buy already.
A defensive midfielder - Ramsey and Arteta are hopeless in this role, not their game.
A world class striker - Every good team needs one.

You can buy this for £70m IMO.

This wouldn't suddenly win them the title IMO, but it would definitely make Arsenal more competitive and push them up the table.

I think I recall that Arsenal don't budget for CL money, plus I expect most of any warchest will come from their overflowing cash reserves.
Their revenue next season is going up by close to £100m anyways. Loss of CL would be £40m max. A big loss, no doubt...but not a total disaster. Would be worth spending to get them back into it. Problem is Arsenal seem to take an uber-cautious financial approach.

Arnie

Going out tomorrow night so I'll miss the conference.

These things are always protracted, overhyped crap anyway so ill just catch up the following day.

Scum

Arsenal don't need that many new players. They need 3/4 really good ones who make others look better.

A good GK - Chesney is not good
A top CB - Arsenal need a leader at the back, would help the others. Monreal is a good buy already.
A defensive midfielder - Ramsey and Arteta are hopeless in this role, not their game.
A world class striker - Every good team needs one.

You can buy this for £70m IMO.

This wouldn't suddenly win them the title IMO, but it would definitely make Arsenal more competitive and push them up the table.

They've been missing a "spine" for ages and those are exactly what they could with. What makes it all even more stupid is that Wenger could easily use CL as a good excuse to recruit these players.

sohois

There are bargains everywhere. The board just need to pull the fucking trigger on them. You don't need to spend 15-20m on every player, just the top top ones. (ie. an Isco) The rest can be filled with smart, shrewd buys and developing young prospects into top players. Just look at the players Newcastle bought in January; Sissoko was a bargain. Why didn't we pick up Ba? 7m is a fucking bargain for a top goalscorer. etc.

We could've gotten Cahill for ~7m last summer, even cheaper last January. (Though Mertseacker was a good buy) The list goes on and on.

This squad can be rebuilt on a reasonable budget to compete in Europe again, for... say 50m net spend. Maybe less. But that kind of policy is probably antithetical to Wenger's philosophy, so if it means Wenger out... then Wenger out. No need to drag his reputation down further, it's time for him to resign with dignity. Then the board needs to go all out on a push for Mourinho.

Wenger (or whoever's in charge of this shit)'s old policy used to revolve around buying prospects and turning them into more valuable players. Now the policy is to overpay on average players.

It's a myth that there are loads of these untapped bargains that top teams are just blind to; people just only look at the successes and forget the many, many cheap players who weren't nearly as good.

You list Newcastle as an example, but they bought 5 other players this season, none of whom has been a big success, not to mention that there is no guarantee of Sissoko's quality given how few games he has actually played. For every 'bargain' player there are 5 average ones, 5 failures. A huge amount of 'shrewd' purchases are nothing more than luck.

The only consistent bargains to be had are for those players like Cahill who have worn down their contracts, and even then you could end up with someone like Marin (or in Arsenal's case, Chamakh).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom