• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT14| Only Wilbury's belly is smoother than BAAAYEEERNs season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yen

Orbis is also following the path first set by Xbox Live: our source says "most" of the PS4's online features will require a premium subscription to use. Sony's new online service will be called PlayStation World, our source says, replacing PlayStation Plus

arkon

Going out tomorrow night so I'll miss the conference.

These things are always protracted, overhyped crap anyway so ill just catch up the following day.

This is usually the best way.

Unfortunately I'm weak and almost always get swept up in them.

Clegg

Arsenal/Bayern was very similar to recent Arsenal/United matches.

United putting pressure on Arsenal and then scoring through poor defending. Then sit back a bit more and be safe in the knowledge that Arsenal aren't good enough in attack.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Juve bros, Simone 'Best' Pepe will undergo an operation. :/ He and Marotta are saying the season may not be over yet, but we all know it is. We already knew, now it's official. This really sucks, he was one of our best players last season. Goodbye 4-3-3. :(((
His season did not even start to be 'over', lol :(

jtb

Banned
It's a myth that there are loads of these untapped bargains that top teams are just blind to; people just only look at the successes and forget the many, many cheap players who weren't nearly as good.

You list Newcastle as an example, but they bought 5 other players this season, none of whom has been a big success, not to mention that there is no guarantee of Sissoko's quality given how few games he has actually played. For every 'bargain' player there are 5 average ones, 5 failures. A huge amount of 'shrewd' purchases are nothing more than luck.

The only consistent bargains to be had are for those players like Cahill who have worn down their contracts, and even then you could end up with someone like Marin (or in Arsenal's case, Chamakh).

I disagree. For top teams, obviously those don't exist because there are very few players that can improve a top team.

But Arsenal's not a top team anymore. If you're smart and vigilant, you can buy players who are known quantities for pretty cheap fees. (Scott Parker, for example. I don't even think he's that good of a player, but he'd certainly improve Arsenal) And if you're going to buy unknown quantities from Ligue 1, why not reduce the financial risk? If the squad needs cover for DM (or lacks one entirely), then there is nearly zero risk in buying Sissoko (or another player in that similar circumstance) for a very cheap fee.

I agree that players running down contracts are good buys. Tons of Arsenal players have been sold for reduced fees when they've run down their contracts, we might as well take advantage of that too.

The point isn't to get a top player 100% of the time. The point is to not overspend on squad players so you can overspend on the top top players that will elevate the side.

Yen

Clegg, did you see Enda Kenny's apology for the Magdalene's? Two weeks ago he barely gave a damn, today he was crying in the Dáil. Horrible.

Blablurn

fc-arsenal-bayern-muenchen-514-5.jpg

good night, folks!

Noirulus

Back from the dentist. How did arselol do after they scored to make it 2-1? Please tell me they won. Oh who am I kidding.

edit: 3 - 1? Yup, no way in hell they're going through.

Clegg

Clegg, did you see Enda Kenny's apology for the Magdalene's? Two weeks ago he barely gave a damn, today he was crying in the Dáil. Horrible.

Yep. Left a bad taste in my mouth tbh.

I've heard some excuses on his behalf. "He was too busy dealing with the EU in sorting out the promissory note for Irelands finances" etc etc.

But he completely blanked these women when the Magdalene Report came out. They were sent there at the governments behest and were then subjected to institutional abuse. A swift apology on the day the report was published with the promise of a more formal one later would have been better than waiting a full two weeks for his overwrought sham of an apology.

I can't stand the man.

GorillaJu

Very typical defeat for Arsenal. 2-0 isn't an impossible result at home but extremely unlikely. Hopefully Spurs put in a good run next year and get a few Milan-style upsets.

Seeing Bayern win is almost getting to the point of seeing United winning for me. Can almost feel the bile rising up to my throat.

Noirulus

Jack Wilshere said:
We didn't start great, and against better teams you get punished. It'll be tough away, but we're not out of it yet. I don't think it's anything to do with the manager, he puts us on the pitch and at the moment we're starting badly and need to perform better. The players are man enough here to take it, and we'll take it on the chin.

What a lad.

jtb

Banned
Very typical defeat for Arsenal. 2-0 isn't an impossible result at home but extremely unlikely. Hopefully Spurs put in a good run next year and get a few Milan-style upsets.

Seeing Bayern win is almost getting to the point of seeing United winning for me. Can almost feel the bile rising up to my throat.

This was the home leg. It's over.

Wilbur

Banned
Reading reports it seems Wilshere was the only stand out Arsenal player yet again. Come to us Jack. Tablecloths would suit you.

Good result for Porto as well, restricting Malaga to no goals.

Clegg

James Olley ‏@JamesOlley
Heynckes confirms he hasn't shaken hands with Wenger: "I haven't seen him yet." But stresses they have good relationship over many years.

Wenger is such a sore loser.

Wilbur

Banned
Only at the Kroos goal now in the thread. Loving the bants already :lol

Arsenal's back five are the worst they've ever had

GorillaJu

I disagree. For top teams, obviously those don't exist because there are very few players that can improve a top team.

But Arsenal's not a top team anymore. If you're smart and vigilant, you can buy players who are known quantities for pretty cheap fees. (Scott Parker, for example. I don't even think he's that good of a player, but he'd certainly improve Arsenal) And if you're going to buy unknown quantities from Ligue 1, why not reduce the financial risk? If the squad needs cover for DM (or lacks one entirely), then there is nearly zero risk in buying Sissoko (or another player in that similar circumstance) for a very cheap fee.

I agree that players running down contracts are good buys. Tons of Arsenal players have been sold for reduced fees when they've run down their contracts, we might as well take advantage of that too.

The point isn't to get a top player 100% of the time. The point is to not overspend on squad players so you can overspend on the top top players that will elevate the side.

It's not as if its completely free for the team after the transfer fee. They have to train, feed, take care of medically, and pay the players they bring in. I don't think it's as simple as you're making it out to be from a financial perspective. There's also accounting for the possible situation that the player flops and becomes useless to the team from a sporting perspective and just leeches off the club, never getting sold, like Malouda and Torres at Chelsea, Arshavin, Chamakh, etc.

I think spending more money on top talent is the better way to go. They'll sell at an increased value later on and the cost of the transfer fee is amortized over the length of their contract – in the case of success it can become a moot point (so long as you don't go crazy with spending like City)

flippedb

Banned
M'baye Niang is officially out for tomorrow's match vs Unicef. Allegri's call.

I think he'll play SES92 on the left, Pazzini on the center and Bojan on the right. I'm really expecting Milan to score tomorrow, Barca's defense is bad and Valdes is a joke.

Edit: Maybe not. He might play a 4-3-1-2. I'm getting so pumped.

arkon

Reading reports it seems Wilshere was the only stand out Arsenal player yet again. Come to us Jack. Tablecloths would suit you.

Good result for Porto as well, restricting Malaga to no goals.

Malaga had one attempt. LOL

Seems like they turned up looking for a draw or to nick it 1-0.

So now Arsenal are out (...) I guess they will now do what they usually do and remember they're competing in a domestic league, string together the luckiest wins you'll see with dodgy decisions and finish above us in 4th.

*that time of the season*

4th and Europa League is the minimum we should get, 3rd and Europa if Chelsea continue to play shit. I'll take that.

Clegg

Zaha played for Palace this evening and Holloway was impressed with his performance.

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "I find myself willing my other players to give it to him because the more he has it, the better my team does."

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "You just want to give him the ball."

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "Hopefully, a lot of fans around the country will see him still progress because it is so pure."

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "Good gracious me, it is quite unbelievable what he can do."

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "He just wants to get the ball and beat people, However many there are, he can do it.."

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "He is so unique. He is an untouched, pure talent. I've never worked with anyone like him."

Yen

Zaha played for Palace this evening and Holloway was impressed with his performance.

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "I find myself willing my other players to give it to him because the more he has it, the better my team does."

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "Hopefully, a lot of fans around the country will see him still progress because it is so pure."

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "Good gracious me, it is quite unbelievable what he can do."

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "He just wants to get the ball and beat people, However many there are, he can do it.."

Ian Holloway on Zaha: "He is so unique. He is an untouched, pure talent. I've never worked with anyone like him."
Seems quite hyperbolic.

jtb

Banned
It's not as if its completely free for the team after the transfer fee. They have to train, feed, take care of medically, and pay the players they bring in. I don't think it's as simple as you're making it out to be from a financial perspective. There's also accounting for the possible situation that the player flops and becomes useless to the team from a sporting perspective and just leeches off the club, never getting sold, like Malouda and Torres at Chelsea, Arshavin, Chamakh, etc.

I think spending more money on top talent is the better way to go. They'll sell at an increased value later on and the cost of the transfer fee is amortized over the length of their contract – in the case of success it can become a moot point (so long as you don't go crazy with spending like City)

I agree, I'm just saying there needs to be a mix. Right now, Arsenal's stuck in the middle doing the worst of both worlds: overpaying for really average (sometimes worse than average) fully-developed players. Not every player in the squad will be a top player, and not every player in the squad needs to be a top player. Arsenal's complete lack of squad depth was a big problem when we actually had world-class players in the squad, but now we gotta start from square one so we might as well get both along the way.

Either way, no team in the world can afford to buy top talent in every position unless they're bankrolled by oil. So that just isn't feasible.

GorillaJu

Do yourself a favor and don't look up Holloway's opinion on Charlie Adam

Randdalf

So now Arsenal are out (...) I guess they will now do what they usually do and remember they're competing in a domestic league, string together the luckiest wins you'll see with dodgy decisions and finish above us in 4th.

*that time of the season*

4th and Europa League is the minimum we should get, 3rd and Europa if Chelsea continue to play shit. I'll take that.

I think Tottenham should be aiming for the Europa as well. Andre Villas-Boas has already won it with ostensibly a worse team.

Haha we won't really win it, we will bottle it if we come up against Chelsea.

Be nice to win it though but I'd much rather get 4th and finish above Arsenal, I really don't think I can take another season of us completely fucking up and letting them take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom