• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread |OT20| What's that smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meier

Could have bought RVP with that £28m.

Mancini is a decent manager but not one of the elite. He was what City needed when they appointed him. Someone to bring them to the next level which Mark Hughes simply couldn't do.

He was pretty successful imo. A league title and an FA Cup is not to be sniffed at. His next task was to progress in the CL and to retain the trophy. He failed dismally in both counts. Some of his tactical decisions were just bizarre.

Its the job of the manager to keep his players motivated. Fergie did that throughout his entire career and built a dynasty from it. From the outside it looks like Mancini was incapable of keeping his players focused.

So long Mancini. You were a decent rival for a time.

Nice post and quite accurate. Cheers, Clegg.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Who do you think is the worse manager: Di Matteo or Mancini?

Personally, I haven't seen anything to indicate that Di Matteo is actually that bad a manager though I suppose he doesn't really get that much respect for the CL win since Avram Grant almost managed the exact same thing by accident.
Di Matteo probably the worst manager ever to have won the CL (though he really was just a proxy for Lampard and Terry). Mancini has always been hopeless in the CL wherever he goes.

Meier

I'm glad that City get screwed out of so much money. Assholes for sacking him now while only 2 games to go.

From the statement:

This has been a difficult decision for the owner, Chairman and Board to make and it is the outcome of a planned end of season review process that has been brought forward in light of recent speculation and out of respect for Roberto and his extensive contributions to the Football Club.

The guy was clearly going to be fired in a week. It didn't really do anyone any good at this point to keep him around and it wasn't helping the atmosphere of the club. I'd wager this was a decision by both parties.

City as a club definitely definitely care about FFP so fans would be silly not to think about it as well. I know from Swiss Ramble's older posts about City's finances that there are some weird things with wages due to players (and presumably managers) that are not currently a part of the squad that allow them to be written off from UEFA's calculations or something along those lines.
There are ways around it.

With players it's player ammortisation.

With sacking managers, if City really want to hide it they can channel the payment into a related company which they already do to hide the wages they pay to certain members of staff.

My point is I find it remarkable you can say, "we'll just use some accounting" tricks. Doesn't it concern you even a little bit that the club has made a decision like that which such a financial impact?

You're saying there must be some kind of clause which prevents it. Why? Real Madrid are not sacking Jose Mourinho right now because if they do they might have to pay him close to £20m. It's been well reported. Chelsea know if they take him from Real Madrid they have to buy out the contract which costs similar. Also been reported.

Before Chelsea sacked AVB it was in their official club accounts that they'd spent just under £70m sacking managers and appointing new ones by buying out their contracts.

It's a naive approach to the whole situation is what I'm saying.

Whether they do pay that amount or not, remains to be seen. The source for this is a BBC reporter. But it's not unrealistic at all. There is a track record for this type of thing.

Meier

I think he only gets one year's worth if he's sacked.

His deal is probably in line with most managerial contracts. He'd probably get 1 year of salary and then would only be paid beyond that if he remained out of work. It's rare for a manager to go unemployed for more than a year (unless you're Rafa), so I'd wager someone just took this story of 1 year and ran with it.

Wilbur

Banned
15+ points is a pretty giant gap to overhaul. Depends on who Chelsea buy in the summer, I think.

+ Mourinho, - Fergie is easy like 10 point swing at least I think. Can't see Chelsea finishing on less than 80 points at the very least next year.

Meier

You're saying there must be some kind of clause which prevents it. Why? Real Madrid are not sacking Jose Mourinho right now because if they do they might have to pay him close to £20m. It's been well reported. Chelsea know if they take him from Real Madrid they have to buy out the contract which costs similar. Also been reported.

This sort of thing exists when you're the best at your job in the world. If Mancini had a similar clause, that info would have come to light within the past few months when all of the speculation existed.

I was quoting someone who said it would affect City from a FFP perspective. I don't think it will. Certainly not to the tune of £28m.

dc89

Could have bought RVP with that £28m.

Mancini is a decent manager but not one of the elite. He was what City needed when they appointed him. Someone to bring them to the next level which Mark Hughes simply couldn't do.

He was pretty successful imo. A league title and an FA Cup is not to be sniffed at. His next task was to progress in the CL and to retain the trophy. He failed dismally in both counts. Some of his tactical decisions were just bizarre.

Its the job of the manager to keep his players motivated. Fergie did that throughout his entire career and built a dynasty from it. From the outside it looks like Mancini was incapable of keeping his players focused.

So long Mancini. You were a decent rival for a time.

#BasedClegg

This sort of thing exists when you're the best at your job in the world. If Mancini had a similar clause, that info would have come to light within the past few months when all of the speculation existed.

I was quoting someone who said it would affect City from a FFP perspective. I don't think it will. Certainly not to the tune of £28m.
Liverpool paid Kenny Dalglish just under £10m when he was sacked, at the time people were saying he had gone for free. There are alot of examples.

City don't need to worry about FFP anyway. They are signing massive commercial deals using the links ADUG have and will announce some more this summer. It's a misnomer at this point.

It's pretty common for American athletes to have minor surgeries every off-season to "clean something up." Hopefully for his sake it's similar to that.
Yeah but it's Jack :p We've heard this before.

I agree though, I hope it is a quick comeback for him because he's a great player.

Salazar

Missed the Zaha goals though. Were they good?

8735503251_1c84b2fcb9_o.gif

8735561591_48537f79fe_o.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom